Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries

Guitarist Steve Vai Recalls Wild Days With David Lee Roth

Oct 26th 2009

Guitarist Steve Vai has a new live DVD, 'Where the Wild Things Are,' that highlights his 25 plus years of performing for sold-out audiences. Vai, who is known for his wild guitar licks onstage, was no match for the backstage antics he experienced on tour with Van Halen's David Lee Roth.

"Actually, I was never really wild," he tells Spinner. "I guess back in the '80s when I was touring with Dave Roth, that was pretty wild. I was just a naïve kid and I'd been touring with Frank Zappa, which was tough enough but I wasn't ready for the Dave Roth experience. We would pull into town and every night there was this tremendous party backstage because Dave really knew how to do it. There would be food and drinks and a big PA system and lights and there was usually 50 or so chosen girls from the audience that were very happy to be at the party. The techs would go out and invite somebody backstage or if somebody in the band saw a girl in the audience he'd give a cue to the tech or would go out and give them a [backstage] pass. Back then, we were playing those arenas [and] it was 80% girls in their underwear. It was crazy. I was like a bee sitting on the rim of the cup sipping the honey. I just had a taste now and then. It was really an amazing experience."

Vai was just a wide-eyed 24-year-old when he rolled into town with Diamond Dave for the first gig, an experience that he could never have imagined. "I remember the first day on tour with Dave we got in Huntsville, Ala. or something in 1984 or 1985 and we would rent two floors of every hotel because one floor was all for us and the other floor was just a buffer floor so nobody would stay there. When we got there a few days early I was sitting in the executive lounge of the hotel and I see this smoke coming out from underneath this sink and there are two girls dressed like maids who had been sitting there for two days waiting for us to get the floor.

"That night when we came back to the hotel the entire floor was like a circus. I'll never forget -- I came out of my room and looked down the hall and saw one of the notorious techs and he's walking down the hall naked with one of these girls I saw under the sink and she was naked. That was my introduction to day one with David Lee Roth on tour!"

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 5 users say thank you to ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

Big Troubles (10-30-2009),binnie (10-31-2009),Blackflag (10-30-2009),Terry (11-02-2009),Va Beach VH Fan (10-30-2009)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Somebody buy Steve some gingko biloba for his memory. He damn sure wasn't touring with Dave in 1984 or 85.

He was working with Public Image Limited at that time, and that was only in the studio, unfortunately.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPj-8_wOZcA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPj-8_wOZcA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

fryingdutchman (10-31-2009)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,399 Times in 6,055 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Somebody buy Steve some gingko biloba for his memory. He damn sure wasn't touring with Dave in 1984 or 85.
    Yeah probably 86.

Fuck 23 years ago... I think we should ban mentioning dates around here so noone gets the 'Cockbiscuits I am so old" panic attacks.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

He was working with Public Image Limited at that time, and that was only in the studio, unfortunately.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPj-8_wOZcA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
    fukeeeng hell..

That posted video sucks, Vai has sucked for 20 years, and you suck.

I mean who cares about the timeline: Vai is so disinteresting that if he published his 36-page autobiography it would be half coloring book and half connect-the-dots with a crossword puzzle or two with the answers in the back.

.. and I'd probably fall asleep by the 4th page.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-05-2012 @ 07:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs up

The description of the hotel and backstage party that Vai talks about is kind of like I imagined. He does bring it to life though....what a blast that had to have been

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPj-8_wOZcA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPj-8_wOZcA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Interesting post, FORD. I never knew Vai was working with Lydon and P.I.L. at that time.

I always thought that P.I.L's claim to fame was that Lydon only used "self-taught" completely unknown musicians.

Very cool.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-09-2020 @ 09:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    Interesting post, FORD. I never knew Vai was working with Lydon and P.I.L. at that time.

I always thought that P.I.L's claim to fame was that Lydon only used "self-taught" completely unknown musicians.

Very cool.
    Vai'discographie (1980-2007)
    Vai.com > Discography > Complete Discography

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post

Very cool.
    Usually that was the case. The original PIL featured Johnny's childhood friend Jah Wobble on bass, along with Keith Levene who was an original member of The Clash, but never played on a record with them. Most of the future PiL lineups also featured otherwise unknown musicians. This one album was the exception: Vai played guitar, Ginger Baker played the drums, and producer Bill Laswell was on bass. Arguably the best lineup Rotten ever had, even though they never played a single gig.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    I can see why Dave would go camping and be a loner after that. Too much and you would start to turn into Nero or Caligula! Nine months of monkey hour and three months of being alone in the woods.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave is all about yin and yang but he leans a little more to the side where the most pussy is.

13. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

binnie (11-02-2009)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doucherag View Post
    Is there REALLY any proof poitive that links my pussy assed self to New Jersey? Nope:tongue0011:
    In Birmingham. do they STILL love the Governor?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Go back to Links, Lambtron....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Go back to Links, Lambtron....
    Probably some sheep fucking went on backstage as well.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Yeah probably 86.

Fuck 23 years ago... I think we should ban mentioning dates around here so noone gets the 'Cockbiscuits I am so old" panic attacks.
    I was at the Huntsville, AL show and i can get you an exact date from my ticket stub. I'm pretty sure it was August 1986. I knew it was very early in the tour but i didn't know it was the first show if the tour. I remember the first 1000 women in the gate got a rose symbolic of the "Yankee Rose". Cinderella was an unknown at the time with only Shake Me out and playing on MTV at the time. Dave and the band absolutely blew us away. Before the show,I was stumbling around drunk on the backside of the building looking for a place to take a piss. A curtained opened in a stand up window and Dave looked out while wearing what looked like the sunglasses from the California Girls video. I put my hand up to the glass and he high fived me through the glass. I was barely 17 at the time and it was one of my first concerts. What memories......

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

In Birmingham. do they STILL love the Governor?
    Queero gets OWNED!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Beat it Queero, you assclown.

Thread Information