Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Anthony audio interview with Adam Carolla

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-10-2012 @ 06:38 PM
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Thanks

1:41 cunt
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    <object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d_ts482fEpM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&co lor2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d_ts482fEpM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&co lor2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    <object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vjZm0waLG-I&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x946 1ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vjZm0waLG-I&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x946 1ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hummarstra View Post
    Chickenshit will go poof after this tour. Just watch.
    Mama always said to go poof, you have to actually fill up the air with something...

Chickenfoot?

Not enough to go p....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    It does suck to hear him slag off on Dave, but i'm sure he's hurt, let down and all of that...

There was a day when Michael Anthony praised Dave as the best thing since sliced bread, but whatever...
    I was actually thinking the same thing, and Michael was preaching a reunion with Dave for a long...long time...including after the Sammy Era I, and the Sammy Era 2 tour...

Interesting indeed.

I get it...he's pissed off...and now serving a new master...

So be it...

At the end of the fucking day, it's music. He used to be part of it, and always has a place in the pantheon of Classic Van Halen.

This interview, or Wolfgang Puck can't take that away from him.

He was a big part of this band. No, maybe not an integral part after they were together, but I'm a firm believer in fate, or fucking harmony, or fucking whatever it is that makes things happen...

and without Michael in the beginning...there would have been no Van Halen in any shape...

So fuck it...

In all honesty, Michael may have been the biggest fan of this band throughout his tour. I remember him doing an interview in his car back in the day, talking about the hundreds and hundreds of boots that he has...

It's one interview, and after he was unceremoniously kicked out of a band he was more or less a co-founder of. Let me tell you this...if it were me...I wouldn't be anywhere near that nice. Sped kicked him out for his fucking kid. Talk about bullshit...

But...it is what it is...

I heard some good fucking Zeppelin today...and not once...not once did I want to kick Page in the balls for that Coverdale/Page album...

not once...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hmmm...

I agree and I still like Michael Anthony...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    It's one interview, and after he was unceremoniously kicked out of a band he was more or less a co-founder of. Let me tell you this...if it were me...I wouldn't be anywhere near that nice. Sped kicked him out for his fucking kid. Talk about bullshit...
    That's all true but it strikes me that Mike still spends a lot more time bitching about Roth than Ed.

I don't know if that is a reflection of spending so much time with Hagar who is incredibly insecure about the fact his career is defined by Roth or because he is sitting there waiting for the circle to come around and a Van Hagar reunion tour in 2014.

Either way to an observer it seems that Roth has done far far less to harm him than Edward has.

8. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ELVIS (11-15-2009)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I agree with that...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I was always on the Mikey wagon. Thought he was truly the nicest
    most honest guy in Van Halen. Im sure many of you may remember this,
    but he had his annual Birthday Bash a few years back and apparently
    the whole sobolewski clan spent the night telling anyone who cared,
    what an asshole Dave is ???

This at a time when the band in all forms was in hiatus.
    Now with his almost embarrassing reliance on Hagar,
    this is not the same Mike I used to like.
    These interviews do nothing to change my mind.

Who here can honestly say (if he actually had a say in it)
    he would prefer a CVH reunion over a Hagar fest ???

He made his alliances very clear in the last failed hagar tour.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    He also played the solo to HFT on Vai's guitar(whilst Vai was wearing it) in front of 70 000 at Donnington in 1988 and made a decent attempt at it.
    Yeah - I saw that too. Vai raised his arms from the guitar and Dave - who was standing behind him (no gay jokes!) - played a fast lead run and the band stopped. It was a little entertainment for the audience. I saw that Skyscraper gig quite a bit (London - Hammersmith and later Wembley, Paris, and Edinburgh twice) and I think that was the only time they did this trick.

Listen, Dave is a pretty competent blues picker - anyone heard a 1981 Greensboro boot? He is soloing on Ice Cream Man on his spangly electric (the 335 kinda guitar). You can tell it is him, 'cos Eddie is playing away in the background. And I tell you man, Dave is playing some nice blues lead guitar on that. Simple, but sounds like the real thing. And his picking on the radio version of '79th and Sunset' (aka 'Real Go-getter) sounds pretyty decent to me.

And ... I have an 82 interview in Kerrang! or one of those Brit magazines. When asked about Intruder, Dave says: 'I wrote that, and that's me playing snythesizer'. Okay, it is only one finger stuff - but Mikey's tambourine story just sounds like hogwash.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Listen, Dave is a pretty competent blues picker - anyone heard a 1981 Greensboro boot? He is soloing on Ice Cream Man on his spangly electric (the 335 kinda guitar). You can tell it is him, 'cos Eddie is playing away in the background. And I tell you man, Dave is playing some nice blues lead guitar on that. Simple, but sounds like the real thing. And his picking on the radio version of '79th and Sunset' (aka 'Real Go-getter) sounds pretyty decent to me.
    It wasn't Ice Cream Man per se, but the long intro where Dave goes into the anti-newspaper critic rant. Sometimes called 'Sounds of Summertime' on boots. He is playing some good blues lead on that for a good 3-5 minutes, just fills.

That is one awesome bootleg. Greensboro, NC, 1981.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Obviously the bassplayer interview with Corolla is really bugging me, coz here I go again ... Mike says Dave couldn't bash a tambourine in time. Well, from what I've read, even from Eddie, Dave had a lot to do with arranging songs - taking Ed's parts and saying this is a good chorus, a good verse. Also Dave produced Skyscraper - okay, not his best, but my guess is it wasn't Vai doing the vocal arrangements.

Remember - 'cos Mike has obviously forgotten - that in Dave's autobiography he says he was taking classes in music theory and orchestration at Pasadena City College at the same time as Alex, or both Ed and Alex. So, this idea that he is so unmusical that he couldn't bash a tambourine in time is garbage.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-19-2010 @ 09:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Obviously the bassplayer interview with Corolla is really bugging me, coz here I go again ... Mike says Dave couldn't bash a tambourine in time. Well, from what I've read, even from Eddie, Dave had a lot to do with arranging songs - taking Ed's parts and saying this is a good chorus, a good verse. Also Dave produced Skyscraper - okay, not his best, but my guess is it wasn't Vai doing the vocal arrangements.

Remember - 'cos Mike has obviously forgotten - that in Dave's autobiography he says he was taking classes in music theory and orchestration at Pasadena City College at the same time as Alex, or both Ed and Alex. So, this idea that he is so unmusical that he couldn't bash a tambourine in time is garbage.
    You have got to remember that mikey comes from the hager school of 'talking Bollox'

I wonder if hager will throw mikey another bone when the chickenthing runs out of steam.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2015 @ 08:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think Mike has always put his friendhip with Sammy ahead of what the vast majority of VH fans wanted, and what was best for the band. Mike has always sided with Sammy and bad-mouthed Dave in an effort to keep his best mate in the band.

He's out and playing with Sammy so now he constantly 'talks up' the much maligned Van Hagar era - obviously hurt about not being involved.

If he was a part of VH now I'm sure he would drop the public love for all things Sammy.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    I was always on the Mikey wagon. Thought he was truly the nicest
    most honest guy in Van Halen. Im sure many of you may remember this,
    but he had his annual Birthday Bash a few years back and apparently
    the whole sobolewski clan spent the night telling anyone who cared,
    what an asshole Dave is ???

This at a time when the band in all forms was in hiatus.
    Now with his almost embarrassing reliance on Hagar,
    this is not the same Mike I used to like.
    These interviews do nothing to change my mind.

Who here can honestly say (if he actually had a say in it)
    he would prefer a CVH reunion over a Hagar fest ???

He made his alliances very clear in the last failed hagar tour.
    That's exactly how I feel.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

What the fuck is Michael Anthony talking about "Dave can't play"? Does that make him feel better about his incredible bass solo by putting down Dave?

Anyways, give this a listen too.

Note in comments states - This is from a Jim Ladd interview probably KLOS or KMET in Los Angeles.He even refers to Jim during the song. I had taped this off the radio at one time. Who knows where that tape is at. It was a funny interview. Sometime between 1980-81.

"Heres Diamond Dave playing a cool tune called 79th and sunset a LONG time ago....yes DLR can play guitar"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ll_jOzOb4kI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ll_jOzOb4kI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    He also played the solo to HFT on Vai's guitar(whilst Vai was wearing it) in front of 70 000 at Donnington in 1988 and made a decent attempt at it.
    I was there a fucking great day !!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    What the fuck is Michael Anthony talking about "Dave can't play"? Does that make him feel better about his incredible bass solo by putting down Dave?

Anyways, give this a listen too.

Note in comments states - This is from a Jim Ladd interview probably KLOS or KMET in Los Angeles.He even refers to Jim during the song. I had taped this off the radio at one time. Who knows where that tape is at. It was a funny interview. Sometime between 1980-81.

"Heres Diamond Dave playing a cool tune called 79th and sunset a LONG time ago....yes DLR can play guitar"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ll_jOzOb4kI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ll_jOzOb4kI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    No doubt Dave can play... although he's pretty much a one trick pony as long it's a guitar tuned to an open E with a little bit of flat pickin and old school blues finger picking. That seems to be his guitar zone...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't think Dave is much of a guitar player, in fact, he's not a guitar player. But he's creative and can pull off a few things... Big deal...

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    I don't think Dave is much of a guitar player, in fact, he's not a guitar player. But he's creative and can pull off a few things... Big deal...

But that's why David Lee Roth is a singer. He has never claimed to be anything else. He knows what he is good at. It's just cool he knows his way around a guitar well enough to pop out some cool sounds while he sings or tells a story.

22. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

Big Troubles (11-17-2009)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    True enough...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Some Mike quotes from Burrn Magazine in 2006 where he talked about working with Dave:

"We tried to make this thing work with Roth three times and each time it was even worse than the time before. We tried to do a new album with him and his ego just wouldn't let it happen and the third time that we tried to do it with him was more like, let's see if we can just play some dates and just get along with him and he still for some reason couldn't humble himself enough to just being one of the guys again here."

"We were going to do videos for the songs [on the Best Of Volume 1] and everything but Roth was really trying to take control and we finally just said, let's not even do the videos for these songs because he's going to kill the whole thing and so it fell apart.
    But yeah, before that tour yeah, we tried to make it work. We went into the studio and it was kind of funny because we first got together in the studio and we were all in the one room together and we did Hot For Teacher, Mean Street and a few other songs and it's the weirdest thing because once we started playing it was like, son of a bitch, there it is, that's the magic! It was like a big d&#233;j&#224; vu because it was the original band playing again and it sounded pretty fuckin' good too!

"But then of course the longer we spent in the studio, you know we had two or three different producers in there trying to work with us and Dave would just come in with tapes of the Chemical Brothers, all different kinds of weird stuff and say hey, let's do a song like this and Ed was having a hard time dealing with him, a real hard time dealing with him and Al was saying, well, let's do a couple of things that Roth likes to do and then let's just do our thing. I don't know if we had a complete album's worth of stuff but we were pretty damn close and unfortunately, there you go with Dave again and we just couldn't finish it and all those old reasons why he left the band in the first place they started surfacing you know. He went right back to his old ways."

Mike seemed to concede that the original band was THE SHIT...but he just can't get along with Dave.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    No doubt Dave can play... although he's pretty much a one trick pony as long it's a guitar tuned to an open E with a little bit of flat pickin and old school blues finger picking. That seems to be his guitar zone...
    and it's still more entertaining than anything TAFKAB could come up with...

a bit bitter, Mikey, aren't we?

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    and it's still more entertaining than anything TAFKAB could come up with...

a bit bitter, Mikey, aren't we?
    WTF is a TAFKAB?

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    WTF is a TAFKAB?
    "the asshole formerly known as bassplayer"

28. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

FORD (11-19-2009)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave is more of a musician than Mike could ever be.

So maybe bassplayer should shut the fuck up. God, he's like a younger Sambo now. Fuckin' cunt.

Dave and Eddie created the SONGS on the CVH albums. Dave was great at melodies, song arrangements and so on (as someone already pointed out Dave actually did study musical theory at Pasadena College) and not just writing lyrics.

When did Mike ever write a song?? Never.

He can't.

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-19-2021 @ 12:39 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Dave is more of a musician than Mike could ever be.

So maybe bassplayer should shut the fuck up. God, he's like a younger Sambo now. Fuckin' cunt.

Dave and Eddie created the SONGS on the CVH albums. Dave was great at melodies, song arrangements and so on (as someone already pointed out Dave actually did study musical theory at Pasadena College) and not just writing lyrics.

He can't.

I don't even think "Mikey" is capable of original thought. He just repeats what others say and does what he is told to do.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post

He can't.
    When did Spammy ever write a song?

When he was hungry.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2013 @ 02:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Mike was never a co-founder of VH. He was the last one to join. VH were already on their way when he showed up. Another thing people forget is if it weren't for Dave, they wouldn't have done anything. Everyone that knew them before Dave came along said they were doing progressive musician type music. The kind that a bunch of 16-24 year old boys watch you play with their arms folded saying to themselves "I can do that". Dave brought the entertainment AND the music. He recognized what Eddie could do but knew he couldn't go the way of Allan Holdsworth and achieve anything. Mike is just bitter since he's relegated to playing with Bette. I would be too.

Thread Information