Thread: Revisionist History or Marketing Genius??

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries

Revisionist History or Marketing Genius??

Happened to browse High Profile Media's site checking on the boys... Noticed this gem of a historical write-up for the band.

It's actually plays well to the Diamond Dave fan site philosophy... with a focus on the only mentionable "true and worthy" hysterical portrait of the band.

But... the ommissions and micro-mentions of the key members of the band really sorta stand out when you've been around the big picture as most of us have...

It's amusing, yet bizzare, how dead cold the historical trail goes at 1984. Then morphs back to the present with the "youthful exuberance" of young Wolfgang... Funny how that description fails to capture his on-stage energy.

Sure everyone would like to forget Hagar & Cherone... but that also discounts 10's of millions of album sales, a decade + of reality and number 1 chart hits. Just struck me as somewhat odd...

I swear I won't be the least bit suprised at some point to see the classics rerecorded with Mike erased from the picture again... the way Sharon ruined a couple of Ozzy's best work.

High profile media

At this moment, someone somewhere is listening to VAN HALEN.

More than 30 years after emerging from the sun-soaked backyard parties of Los Angeles and the clubs along the city's fabled Sunset Strip, VAN HALEN remains one of the most important and influential bands of all time. The timeless music continues resonating today from countless car radios and mp3 players to VAN HALEN'S sold-out arena concerts.

When VAN HALEN formed in 1974, the band quickly won a loyal hometown fan base with their electrifying live shows. Upon releasing their self-titled 1978 debut album, VAN HALEN shook the foundations of rock, thanks largely to the band's songwriting abilities blending hard rock gusto with danceable partyhearty anthems. The album became one of the biggest selling rock debuts of all time with key tracks like "Eruption," "Running with the Devil," "Jamie's Cryin'," "You Really Got Me" and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" leading the way.

The fiery fretwork of Eddie Van Halen, often imitated, but never duplicated, revolutionized rock guitar placing him alongside such luminaries as Hendrix, Clapton and Page. Soon, a legion of budding guitarists were driven to pick up the instrument attempting to replicate the finger-tapping technique he made famous. Lead vocalist David Lee Roth's unabashed stage presence and sex-charged swagger created a template for hard rock frontmen to come. Don't forget Alex Van Halen's thunderous drumming and signature style. VAN HALEN changed rock music forever.

Just one year after its first release, the band followed with "Van Halen II," armed with the hit single "Dance the Night Away" and a roster of instant rock radio classics including "Beautiful Girls" and "Somebody Get Me A Doctor." Subsequent discs "Women and Children First" (1980), "Fair Warning" (1981) and "Diver Down" (1982), along with worldwide touring, solidified the band's reputation for innovative and unparalleled live performances. And the definitive cuts kept coming including "Everybody Wants Some," "Unchained," "And The Cradle Will Rock," "Little Guitars" and "Mean Street," to name a few.

With their sixth album, released in and titled "1984," VAN HALEN rose to stratospheric heights. Recorded at Eddie Van Halen's 5150 Studios, the multiplatinum smash yielded Van Halen's #1 single and biggest hit, "Jump," which remained #1 on the Billboard charts for an astounding five weeks straight. Other hits from the album include "Panama," "Hot For Teacher" and "I'll Wait."

The band's record of achievement is hard to top. Presented with two Diamond Award RIAA Certified Status' for their albums "Van Halen" and "1984," VAN HALEN joins an elite short list of two-time Diamond Award honorees in the history of the music industry. The Diamond Award is presented to an artist for album sales of 10 million or more units. They are also in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the most #1 hits on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart than any other band in history. And VAN HALEN was inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame in March of 2007.

As new generations discover VAN HALEN, the youthful exuberance found within the music continues to serve as a rock 'n' roll right of passage. The proof lies within the latest era of VAN HALEN, which includes Eddie Van Halen's 17-year old son Wolfgang on bass.

Wolfgang Van Halen joined Eddie, Dave and Alex on the band's acclaimed 2007/2008 North American tour. Sold-out crowds and charmed critics helped make it one of the most successful tours of the year. It also found VAN HALEN raking in accolades including a People's Choice Award nomination and an invitation to headline the exclusive Tiger Jam benefit for the Tiger Woods Foundation in Las Vegas, Nevada.

VAN HALEN continues embarking on its new beginning, and the fans are sure to be listening to the band's treasured body of work for decades to come.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Hahaha... I hear ya Zah...

I guess Michael Anthony was a figment of our imagination...

And I gotta say "five weeks straight" is hardly astounding by any measure...

it also goes on to say how they are in the Guinness book for having the most #1 hits on the mainstream rock chart. Doesn't that imply Van Hagar ??

It's all pretty crappy...

Why not just tell the truth...

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Exactly... the #1 hits record was mostly Van hagar songs.

From 85-96 all we heard about was more number 1 hits... how Hagar was a different singer and Roth held them back musically. All that crap... Ed couldn't forget and wash off the CVH legacy fast enough.

Now the tide has turned and none of that shit ever even happened.

So Ed wants to pull the Santana card and do the multiple singer thing... I guess he can hire the real Bette Midler to sing the Hagar tunes when they tour again!!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah, because I highly doubt Hagar would do it...

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-19-2010 @ 09:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/icr71H1nb3Q&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/icr71H1nb3Q&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

That's a great red dress Vera whats her face is wearing.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I guess this really is good news...

Given this is an Official Source... Van Hagar, Van Cherone, & Van Hagar Regurgitated Never Happened!!

Time stood still... starting 04/01/1985. The rest was a bad dream... 2 burritos and a rootbeer float induced...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I guess this really is good news...

Given this is an Official Source... Van Hagar, Van Cherone, & Van Hagar Regurgitated Never Happened!!

Time stood still... starting 04/01/1985. The rest was a bad dream... 2 burritos and a rootbeer float induced...
    I actually don't mind that.

Seriously.

Yeah, yeah, Van Hagar did sell millions of albums, had chart topping records, etc. So what.

I'm sure Dave doesn't mind the revisionist history.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts

The fiery fretwork of Eddie Van Halen, often imitated, but never duplicated, revolutionized rock guitar placing him alongside such luminaries as Hendrix, Clapton and Page. Soon, a legion of budding guitarists were driven to pick up the instrument attempting to replicate the finger-tapping technique he made famous. Lead vocalist David Lee Roth's unabashed stage presence and sex-charged swagger created a template for hard rock frontmen to come. Don't forget Alex Van Halen's thunderous drumming and signature style. VAN HALEN changed rock music forever.
    Yeah, but DO forget about the sauceman who used to pick at the top string of the bass every now & then.

I don't care if bassauce is in the band or no, but you think they could've at least mentioned the guy once.

As for the rest, that "History" of Van Halen is fine as it is.

Cheers! :bottle:

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Life married to a publicist...

Phone rings...

Hello... hang on. Rolleyes...

Yoko II yells, Hey Ed!

No response.

Yoko yells louder... Hey Mr Luminary Guitar God!!

Ed... What?

Yoko... the sex-charged swaggering singer wants to know if he can come up and play.

Ed... WTF? Tell him to call back next month. Wolf and I are in the studio practicing a nostalgic remake of my Two and Half Men appearance.

Yoko... Dave, call back next month. Ed busy teaching Wolfie about youthful exuberance. Oh and the thunderous drummer wants to know when you'll get him his Season 5-20 box set of One Life to Live DVD's back?

Stay tuned for another episode from the legendary Howdy Doody Mountain Revisted...

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It might be marketing, but it sure ain't genius...

Thread Information