X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UK ROCKER
    Banned
    • Oct 2009

When did Music "Change" for you?

For me it was the onset of that Nu Metal shite.
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Change, as in for the worse or in some deeper sense?
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Seems there hasn't been a decent new band out there since about 1996 or so.

I can honestly say that most of the new CD's I've purchased this current decade are from bands well established before then, or bands like Audioslave made up of other bands established before then.

If Eddie's head wasn't stuck up Ray Daniels ass in 1996 and we had gotten a full Van HALEN reunion out of that deal, who knows what it might have inspired in music.... looking for something in the post grunge era, and coming up with nothing but boybands, redundant NWA rippoff rap, and complete shit like Limp Dickzit and Creed.
      Last edited by FORD; 11-22-2009, 08:56 PM.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Mr Badguy
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

For me, music is still music.
        sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
          Sniper
          • Oct 2009

I'd have to say I started listening to classic rock a lot more than any other genre of music when I moved down here to Florida...
          Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by VanHalenFan5150
            I'd have to say I started listening to classic rock a lot more than any other genre of music when I moved down here to Florida...
            That's gotta suck though, being a teenager and not having any current music worth listening to.

By the time I was 14, The Beatles were long gone (Lennon in the literal sense, right about that time) Hendrix and Morrison long dead. Never got to see Ac/Dc with Bon, or the REAL lineup of The Who. Or the Stones with Mick Taylor. And John Bonham died just a year or so early for me to get a chance to see Zeppelin. I regret not seeing Queen while Freddy was alive, but I didn't like their 80's stuff as well as the classic days (see the "Crown Jewels" box set - all the Queen you will ever need).

Thank God for Van Halen though. Their existence was timed just right for my teenage rocker stoner years.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Dr. Love
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by UK ROCKER
              For me it was the onset of that Nu Metal shite.
              Disturbed's first album was great.
              I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                Sniper
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by FORD
                That's gotta suck though, being a teenager and not having any current music worth listening to. Thank God for Van Halen though. Their existence was timed just right for my teenage rocker stoner years.
                That's right, there's nothing really good. You have to choose between stereotyped deathcore fucking insane music or pussy gay/emo/faggot "rock."

I will admit that Slipknot, though they haven't released much lately, is one hell of a good band. They've evolved kind of like the Beatles in the sense that they're getting "better."
                Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• standin
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2009

A conceptual and operational defination of change is needed to be able to answer that question with any sort of realibility.

Change has 33 listed definations
                  Change Definition | Definition of Change at Dictionary.com
                  Not to mention slang usage.

When did muscic "change" for you?
                  I made my first $1 on with music when I was 9.

verb (used with object)

1. to make the form, nature, content, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone: to change one's name; to change one's opinion; to change the course of history.

I changed the band's name the first time in 1987.
                  I changed my opinion of musicains in 1983.
                  Sony changed the course of music.

2. to transform or convert (usually fol. by into): The witch changed the prince into a toad.

David changed the poem into a song.

3. to substitute another or others for; exchange for something else, usually of the same kind: She changed her shoes when she got home from the office.

Eddie changed guitars midway through the song.

4. to give and take reciprocally; interchange: to change places with someone.

Trevor and David interchanged songs on thier albums.

5. to transfer from one (conveyance) to another: You'll have to change planes in Chicago.

David changed the sad song to a morals song.

6. to give or get smaller money in exchange for: to change a five-dollar bill.

David changed my one 45 minute song into seven songs.

7. to give or get foreign money in exchange for: to change dollars into francs.

David changed my opera to rock.

8. to remove and replace the covering or coverings of: to change a bed; to change a baby.

Warner Brother's changed the the album Van Halen with a remaster.

verb (used without object)

9. to become different: Overnight the nation's mood changed.

Musicains changed the music industry.

10. to become altered or modified: Colors change if they are exposed to the sun.

Revenue cuts change when musicians create their own working label.

11. to become transformed or converted (usually fol. by into): The toad changed into a prince again.

Van Halen changed with independance from Warner Brothers restrictions.

12. to pass gradually into (usually fol. by to or into): Summer changed to autumn.

The band changed from sophomoric to seasoned.

13. to make a change or an exchange: If you want to sit next to the window, I'll change with you.

If you want to play the piano for this song, I'll change to lead for the song.

14. to transfer between trains or other conveyances: We can take the local and change to an express at the next stop.

We can create independent sounds and properties under a LLC and our combined efforts could jointly be filed under a partnership, limited or otherwise.

15. to change one's clothes: She changed into jeans.

He changed into a kilt.

16. (of the moon) to pass from one phase to another.

It is time for the change.

17. (of the voice) to become deeper in tone; come to have a lower register: The boy's voice began to change when he was thirteen.

Johnny Cash's voice seasoned and elders change occurred. His change gave him the depth of sound that can only be achieved by patience.

–noun

18. the act or fact of changing; fact of being changed.

Change is even a part of a mountain existance, it is a fact of life.

19. a transformation or modification; alteration: They noticed the change in his facial expression.

We noticed a change in the limitations.

20. a variation or deviation: a change in the daily routine.

For a change of pace, they stopped at a 7 seater bar and picked out back by the fire.

21. the substitution of one thing for another: We finally made the change to an oil-burning furnace.

The music made the change to an acoustic set.

22. variety or novelty: Let's try a new restaurant for a change.

To haze the kid and to amuse themselves, they wrote a song with a contrabass for a change.

23. the passing from one place, state, form, or phase to another: a change of seasons; social change.

The musicains changed from looking for a pot of gold to being a pot of gold.

24. Jazz. harmonic progression from one tonality to another; modulation.

That change sounded spot on.

25. the supplanting of one thing by another.

The drummer set change with exotic percussion instruments.

26. anything that is or may be substituted for another.

A change of guitars was normal.

27. a fresh set of clothing.

You got a change for the drums?

28. money given in exchange for an equivalent of higher denomination.

He broke my $100 song into $5 change pieces.

29. a balance of money that is returned when the sum tendered in payment is larger than the sum due.

He gave me change back when he edited the song

30. coins of low denomination.

I gave the change of the work as gifts.

31. any of the various sequences in which a peal of bells may be rung.

I have no clue how to use change in this context.

The drummer was told that adding change ringing with a peal of bells was not a very tour-able idea.

32. Also, 'change. British. exchange (def. 10).
                  33. Obsolete. changefulness; caprice.

What was sometimes interesting was he was full of change.

—Verb phrase
                  34. change off, a. to take turns with another, as at doing a task.

Eddie and Dave change off to keep them guessing.

b. to alternate between two tasks or between a task and a rest break.

There was a change off with responding and avoiding.

—Idioms
                  35. change front, Military. to shift a military force in another direction.

The band changed fronts after learning of the corporate spying and treason.

36. change hands. hand (def. 47).

The band's intellectual property changed hands with the hostile stroke of a pen.

37. change one's mind, to change one's opinions or intentions.

The crime of espionage and sabotage by certain record labels changed artist's opinions. .

38. ring the changes, a. to perform all permutations possible in ringing a set of tuned bells, as in a bell tower of a church.

The drummers idea to ring the changes as a prelude to the concert was awe-inspiring

b. to vary the manner of performing an action or of discussing a subject; repeat with variations.

The subject of the defination of the word change has rung the changes in this post.

OCD inspired~
                  Last edited by standin; 11-23-2009, 02:10 AM.
                  To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
                  MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• Little Texan
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                    Disturbed's first album was great.
                    I think Disturbed's last two albums have been great.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

There are lots of great bands out there, you just have to look for them. Does it sound like music did in 1985? Of course not, and if it did then it could only be a pastiche.....
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2007

It changed when MTV and Disney got involved.

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

When we turned into old fuckers !
                          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                            Sniper
                            • Oct 2009

Hey, I like to put it this way:

If it sounds good, I like it. My definition of good is a kickass main riff that drags me in like a roller coaster and then a monster solo that drops me like a rock...

You guys get what i'm saying?

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

You are an old fucker and like 80's metal/hard rock ??
                              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...