Thread: DLR Band circa 1997

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-11-2010 @ 10:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

DLR Band circa 1997

I was reading some old Crazy From the Heat promotion interviews from 1997 in which Dave mentions forming a new band with Carmine Appice on drums and Sheehan on the bass guitar. Any word on how this line up dissolved?

It sounds like a sour deal went down as implied in VHND's interview with Mike Hartman:

vhnd.com: Do you know why Carmine didn't stick around? Dave said in interviews that Carmine was the drummer and Billy would be on bass.

MH: Carmine went to Japan.

vhnd.com: Was Billy ever at a rehearsal?

MH: I really don't feel comfortable talking about the Carmine/Billy thing though, that is not my cup of tea. Billy was never around. That's all I can say.... They are my friends, I don't want to mess that up.

http://www.vhnd.com/old/interviews/9...ehartman.shtml
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Interesting... thanks for the link. Getting Billy back would have been cool...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,296 Times in 4,721 Posts

From what I recall, the talk of Sheehan coming back went on for quite a while, which is probably why Dave didn't actually hire a bass player for the DLR Band record. His intention was to record it as a band and then tour with the same band, and apparently didn't want to bring another bass player into the mix, because he was hoping Billy would be available. I do recall reading one report where Sheehan was actually interested, but there were "scheduling conflicts" with previous commitments.

Of course things didn't work out that way, because Mike Hartman couldn't tour due to illness, and John Lowery jumped ship to work with the freak Brian Warner. Which left drummer Ray Luzier as the only other member of the recorded "DLR Band" to actually make it to the tour.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I remember a story that carmine appice farted in front of dave and that was it...

Skills That Thrill
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    11-15-2023 @ 08:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I remember reading an interview with Bart Walsh and he said that Carmine ripped a huge fart in front of Dave and got fired.

I saw Mike Hartman in 1999 in Denver Colorado on tour and hanged out with him and his wife. He was really nice guy, too bad he passed. The show was great, but he was obviously sick.
    DLR Band is my favorite post VH album and Dave really brought it with that band.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 05:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,501 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    From what I recall, the talk of Sheehan coming back went on for quite a while, which is probably why Dave didn't actually hire a bass player for the DLR Band record. His intention was to record it as a band and then tour with the same band, and apparently didn't want to bring another bass player into the mix, because he was hoping Billy would be available. I do recall reading one report where Sheehan was actually interested, but there were "scheduling conflicts" with previous commitments.

Of course things didn't work out that way, because Mike Hartman couldn't tour due to illness, and John Lowery jumped ship to work with the freak Brian Warner. Which left drummer Ray Luzier as the only other member of the recorded "DLR Band" to actually make it to the tour.
    All of which ended up being kind of moot, as from what I can tell only Slam Dunk! actually got any live play...

if anyone has any links to any other DLR Band tunes that were essayed live, by all means post 'em! Would dig hearing some of that stuff live.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,296 Times in 4,721 Posts

Slam Dunk is the only one I ever heard. And I can't even remember if they played that one after the '99 tour with Bad Company. Was it on the set list in 2001?

I'd really like to hear "Going Places" turn up in a Van Halen set, complete with dual Dave/Eddie acoustics.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I remember reading an interview with Bart Walsh and he said that Carmine ripped a huge fart in front of Dave and got fired.
    There was an intervew with Carmine a few years back where he talks about it....he said something like "nice PJ's" because he thought what Dave was wearing at the time looked like pajamas. I'm not sure if I read it here or not...

The fart story is believable, but think about it...that had to be one rank rip to get yourself kicked out of a fuckin' band!

Then again, that pizano looks like he could peel some serious paint.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Slam Dunk is the only one I ever heard. And I can't even remember if they played that one after the '99 tour with Bad Company. Was it on the set list in 2001?

I'd really like to hear "Going Places" turn up in a Van Halen set, complete with dual Dave/Eddie acoustics.

That's the only one I've heard off DLR Band live as well, and that 99 Bad Co tour was the only time I've ever heard it played as well.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    There was an intervew with Carmine a few years back where he talks about it....he said something like "nice PJ's" because he thought what Dave was wearing at the time looked like pajamas. I'm not sure if I read it here or not...

The fart story is believable, but think about it...that had to be one rank rip to get yourself kicked out of a fuckin' band!

Him AND his brother, especially after an afternoon of them gorging on salami, pepperoncini, greek olives and expressos...a drum seat wouldn't be a good thing to be that evening...

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-01-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

That's the funniest thing I've read on here in a while! Bravo, sir!

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2014 @ 08:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post

I saw Mike Hartman in 1999 in Denver Colorado on tour and hanged out with him and his wife. He was really nice guy, too bad he passed. The show was great, but he was obviously sick.
    DLR Band is my favorite post VH album and Dave really brought it with that band.
    I remember the fart thing too. I can't believe it was 10 years ago that you hung out with Mike Hartman. If I recall correctly, Mike's wife did not care for Dave at all.

Thread Information