Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-07-2018 @ 10:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

My musical things

Well , I thought I'd show you all my stuff. It's not greatly interesting gear but it serves it's purpose for an average classic rock / blues player that I am.

Now I must apologise for the pics , my camera's fucked so phone pics unfortunatly.

First off.........

'03 USA strat in chrome red.

This is the oldest instrument I own now. It has been used and abused and fucked about with over the years but it's now largely standard apart from the chrome scratchplate . It's the main workhorse.

'06 Epi LP custom

This is the other workhorse . This one's also been changed a bit , I had some high output no name zebras in it until recently but I found them too harsh so I replaced them with a Duncan SH-5 and the origional epi neck pup (with cover removed , and all the fucking wax) which I like the tone of.

It's also going yellow....yeeess.

The Sunday toy.....'07 YJM strat.

This one had a lot of setup issues and because of that It wasn't nice to play.... to the point that I was going to sell it . Now I was assured that it had been pro set up out of the shop , well it wasn't , it was shit... so I had it set up by a local tech and then it showed its true colours ....FANTASTIC!!!! It did take a sliver of maple in the neck pocket and the nut had to be re-cut but it's great now.I'm still a bit disapointed with fender for this....it was £1200 for fucks sake.

I love the scalloped neck but the thing I really had to get used to was the pups , very low output but again I love 'em now.

Effects

I've only got this now .... Digitech GNX4.

I don't do much band wise these days and that was one of the reasons I got this. I wanted to do more recording and I liked it 'cos it's got loads of lights and buttons It's got everything on it and works fine live....and fuck it , it's a multi effects and thats about all I can say about that.

Finally....

1997 Marshall vs100 valvestate and 4x10 cab.

I bought this as I do live stuff on my own and with various "bands" from time to time , but not all of the time.... and that's why I got it , cheap power ... no more no less , It's ok and with all the amp modelling I have on the GNX you can get a half decent tone.

It's got red tolex too!!!

The cab is 4x10 celestion 75's from 1991.

So there it is , not great gear but it is what it is.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to Reverberator for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (12-10-2009),GAR (12-11-2009)

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Warning: Troll alert:

The garfuckle will soon show up to tell you what you must do with your gear!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Warning: Troll alert:

The garfuckle will soon show up to tell you what you must do with your gear!
    Yes, and feel free to IGNORE said stupid recommendations. They're most likely Googled anyway.

Nice axes, Rev! Almost picked up a vintage Marshall 8x10 as a kid, but didn't want to lug it around...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reverberator View Post

I've only got this now .... Digitech GNX4.

I don't do much band wise these days and that was one of the reasons I got this. I wanted to do more recording and I liked it 'cos it's got loads of lights and buttons It's got everything on it and works fine live....and fuck it , it's a multi effects and thats about all I can say about that.

It's ok and with all the amp modelling I have on the GNX you can get a half decent tone.

You'd be surprised to know, a rather well-known guitarist I teched for on a summer fly-out tour used a GNX3 running to two slaved (rented) Marshall JCM900s for the backline, and got a surprisingly decent sound...no one noticed.

Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    You'd be surprised to know, a rather well-known guitarist I teched for on a summer fly-out tour used a GNX3 running to two slaved (rented) Marshall JCM900s for the backline, and got a surprisingly decent sound...no one noticed.
    I can well believe that , these newer mfx's are quite good at replicating most stompboxes and amp/cab models BUT they require endless fiddling....The good thing with the GNX is that you can download many great patches from the Digitech web site straight to the GNX and then fettle them as needed on your PC using a cool interface.

The GNX is the main reason I use a cheap solid state amp.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Nice gear dude!

8. Thanked kwame k for this KICKASS post:

Reverberator (12-13-2009)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I can well believe that , these newer mfx's are quite good at replicating most stompboxes and amp/cab models BUT they require endless fiddling....The good thing with the GNX is that you can download many great patches from the Digitech web site straight to the GNX and then fettle them as needed on your PC using a cool interface.

The GNX is the main reason I use a cheap solid state amp.

He actually used a Sparkledrive and a couple of other pedals in front of it and it still sounded decent (and was stereo, which is rarely a bad thing)...I should get off my ass and someday scan and post the schematics I did of the rigs of some of the people I worked for...oh, wait - someone would accuse me of name-dropping...

Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well pm them to me then....I'd love to have a look.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs up Will do. Might take a minute, but sure!

Well pm them to me then....I'd love to have a look.
    Was thinkin' on the way home, I should probably redo them, they're currently sketched in a ledger-type book that was small enough to fit in my Anvil-briefcase/work-box (can't take a ton of shit with ya on a fly-out run), but I'll try to remember to take that to the office tomorrow and see how they scan...got a printer at home, but no scanner.

Oh, and one of my best friends currently records with a GNX4, and thought it was the shiznit until he came over and heard the sounds I'm getting with PODfarm and Recabinet...his stuff still sounds good!
    Last edited by jhale667; 12-10-2009 at 08:16 PM.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

KEWL gear REV................

Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cheers guys....I'm gonna talk a bit more here now.

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-02-2013 @ 10:05 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Nice gear. May I make a recommendation?

Turn that shit UP!!!

15. Thanked VanHalener for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (12-12-2009)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Talking Awesome. Oh, and a few more specifics for the Digitech setup..lol

Cheers guys....I'm gonna talk a bit more here now.
    Cool.

Oh, and as far as the excessive twiddling on the GNX/Marshall setup? Dude had like six or so sounds/presets (no cab emulations) that he'd worked up: IIRC - Clean, Clean with Reverb/slight chorus, couple of dirty/dirtier stock rhythms and two lead sounds with echoes...all accessed via a Midi Buddy.
    He had a Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss CE-5 and a Voodoolab Chorus in front of the GNX3 with a Shure Wireless stuck inbetween. Right and Left outputs of the GNX went to each of the Marshall heads (full stacks but running the bottom cabs only).

Per his preference, the Right and Left outs were color-coded due to the way he set the heads up; didn't write his settings for those down because it was different at every gig, and you couldn't just run either or to either of both heads, if that makes sense... He had them basically just running as power amps, but still did stuble tonal colorations and slightly bumped up the gain differently for each channel with the heads at soundchecks per venue to get what he wanted to hear, so it mattered which channel/head was which.

It worked -funny, because I'd recently seen the band at the ROXY here as a still-fan (but had met 2 out of 3 of them locally & becoming friends before being asked to work for 'em) and hearing his guitar sound I was like "He's getting that out of 2 JCM900s?!?" When I then saw his rig a few weeks later, I was like "Ooooh, I get it." But with that type of gig (and caliber) player where he showed up with his shit and had two unknown Marshalls provided for Backline in every city, pretty nearly consistent and workable tone. Got to personally wank through it at his encouragement and behest a couple of times (Cool dude, would hand me the guitar and go "check it out", like he wanted to hear someone else play through it plus we became post show party pals so we'd be hangin' out talking guitars), and it was something you could live with every night and do that kinda gig if like him you had it, y'know? He got tagged for a extra fees for the gear-bag and taking a backup guitar in a case in addition to the main one as a carry-on... but still pretty economic (not counting renting the Backline, just travel wise) way to do it for them...no cartage fees for amps, though...

Bassist did something similar, wireless, no back up instrument w/two SVTs. Boiled his own strings (and a backup set) prior to flying to the 2-3 night gigs, never broke one in the 3 months I was there...

And oh yeah, Rev...what kinda pickups are in the red Strat?
    Last edited by jhale667; 12-12-2009 at 09:41 PM.

17. 2 users say thank you to jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

GAR (12-13-2009),Reverberator (12-13-2009)

Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The pickups are the ones it came with , it's got that hotter bridge pup with that tbx? tone pot .... I had tried it out with a Duncan sh5 about a year ago , then I was playing rhythm in a covers band and wanted to fatten it up as I was competing against a LP. Now that band is 'dead' and as I'm basically playing blues now I wanted the strat tone back and put the duncan where it should be in the LP.

Actually you may remember me fitting the duncan in the strat as I posted it over at rothfans.

Now....that stuff you sent me is good reading and I think you should post it as it's interesting stuff and I'm with you on the Gary Moore thing , his rock playing was the bollox ....out in the fields took some time , still can't play it quite right even now.

As for the 'guy'with the gnx3 ....I've got the gnx4 ...one betterbut that's about the only thing that is better

I'm going to try to get my nikon working , I'll take some shots of the inputs and everything on the back of the gnx to give you some idea.
    Last edited by Reverberator; 12-13-2009 at 10:32 AM.

19. Thanked Reverberator for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (12-13-2009)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Actually you may remember me fitting the duncan in the strat as I posted it over at rothfans.
    Now that you mention it, stirring a memory. Crap, where's that archive site addy when you need it? There were some cool threads there, hope RF pops back up some day.

Now....that stuff you sent me is good reading and I think you should post it as it's interesting stuff and I'm with you on the Gary Moore thing , his rock playing was the bollox ....out in the fields took some time , still can't play it quite right even now.
    Will do. The one I sent you is the only "Holy Handwritting Batman" one in the bunch, 'course I started on that one first... But none of them will scan so will be redoing them as per the example.
    Funny how most hardcore guitar players know of pre "Still Got the Blues" Gary. And how many more well-known (particularly Euro, but a few US) guitarists of the day worshiped him...like on the same level as EVH, and justifiably so! I mean, Ozzy approached him after Rhoads death...monster player.

As for the 'guy'with the gnx3 ....I've got the gnx4 ...one betterbut that's about the only thing that is better

I'm going to try to get my nikon working , I'll take some shots of the inputs and everything on the back of the gnx to give you some idea.
    That'll be killer. Please do.
    The 'guy''s rig would also be the simplest schematic to re-do and post. And he went for the gnx3 because it fit in a carry-on.
    Could still do it anonymously...."That 'guys' rig"...
    Last edited by jhale667; 12-13-2009 at 12:54 PM.

21. Thanked jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Funny how most hardcore guitar players know of pre "Still Got the Blues" Gary.

Metalhead, or Blues-imposter. You decide.

(hes a fookn METAL roeet)

23. Thanked GAR for this KICKASS post:

Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Did you know Gary sold THE Peter Green LP?

I was mega surprised at that.....apparently it went for 2 million dollars.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Speechless.

Just think, in our lifetime that Jimmy Page flametop will change hands and you KNOW it is more desirable than the Peter Green one by a factor of ten.

Especially if someone buys Wacko Jacko's shoes for 20mil for charity.. the led zep guitar could be - ? Forty mil?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Talking Oh, that one's easy...

Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    Metalhead, or Blues-imposter. You decide.
    Judging by the shred-level on Dirty Fingers, Corridors of Power, and Victims of the Future, seems like there was just more money in being a blues imposter in the early 90s...

$2million for the Peter Green LP? Damn.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I had the thing in my hands in 2006!

I was very persistent on taking a plaster casting of the neck shape from the heel to the first 2 tuners, but the guy said "no I can't its not mine, if something were to go wrong.."

Geez, what's to go wrong by pouring plaster of paris over a 2 million dollar neck? It's not like the owner would have had to know.. unless we couldn't get it released from the mold.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Funny how most hardcore guitar players know of pre "Still Got the Blues" Gary. And how many more well-known (particularly Euro, but a few US) guitarists of the day worshiped him...like on the same level as EVH, and justifiably so! I mean, Ozzy approached him after Rhoads death...monster player.
    Saw Gary at Cardi's in Dallas (probably capacity only 200 peeps or so) on the Corridors Of Power Tour, with Ian Paice on drums.

Blew my motherfucking mind!

He is a GOD among guitarists.

Too strange that he has been able to sell out arenas in the UK for years, but is relatively unknown to the public at large in the US.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    I had the thing in my hands in 2006!

I was very persistent on taking a plaster casting of the neck shape from the heel to the first 2 tuners, but the guy said "no I can't its not mine, if something were to go wrong.."

Geez, what's to go wrong by pouring plaster of paris over a 2 million dollar neck? It's not like the owner would have had to know.. unless we couldn't get it released from the mold.
    Only an idiot would make a suggestion like that.

30. Thanked Hardrock69 for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (12-14-2009)

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, he suffered from a terrible leftover-70's scruff-rock image during the Metal Years, outfitted more like Sammy Hagar than someone who can shred.

Had he gone out in denim and leather, kids woulda taken more notice of him for sure and bought up his albums.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I saw him open for Def Leppard and Krokus that year (insert Marc Storace joke), and Phil Collen and Steve Clark, as well as the Krokus guys were sitting off to the side of the stage mesmerized watching him just like the awestruck kids we were...

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Only an idiot would make a suggestion like that.
    Only an idiot did

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I saw him open for Def Leppard and Krokus that year (insert Marc Storace joke), and Phil Collen and Steve Clark, as well as the Krokus guys were sitting off to the side of the stage mesmerized watching him just like the awestruck kids we were...
    HA! Anyone who's ever seen him play says the same thing.

Albert Molinaro of the old GuitarsRUs store, first started out of Roman Rist's shop across the street from the then-new Guitar Center.. he rented the front of Rist's shop and had the wall with a dozen guitars, one orange one was like a 62 Strat with a bitchin' thin neck with the name 'GARY' carved in the body paint above the pickguard.

He wanted 1300 in 1985 dollars but he "couldn't sell it just yet, the guy might have a deal on hold" cuz it was a trade for something else Al had going.. week after week kept buggin him "oh that belonged to Gary Moore he might be buying it back, have to wait"

I just thought the thing literally had my name on it.. for me!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Was it orange or faded-ass fiesta red? Because he had a '62 fiest red strat with a rosewood board on the Corridors Tour...I remember reading about it, and have pics of it somewhere...

I smell a Gary Moore thread...

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Looked pretty orange to me, look for "gary" knifed into the paint on those pics and that's the one I'm on about.

Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've seen gary quite a few times over the years and he never fails to impress....suppose I'm quite lucky as he tours the UK just about every year.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Gary in Stockholm - Wild Frontier Tour Video

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

39. Thanked Hardrock69 for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (12-23-2009)

Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Merry xmas gear fuckers.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Thumbs up

Merry xmas gear fuckers.
    Back at cha, Verbie !

42. Thanked Diamondjimi for this KICKASS post:

Reverberator (12-28-2009)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Merry xmas gear fuckers.
    To you as well, Sir Verb.

44. Thanked jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-27-2020 @ 07:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Merry xmas gear fuckers.
    whatever dude.

humbug!

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    "verbie..." what a stall-sporter!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Fuck off Troll. This another thread of someone posting their gear. Until you do the same, maybe you should stay the fuck out.
    If I were Mod of this forum I'd delete every single fucking post of yours.
    J is a good man. You should buy him a Christmas gift for putting up with your Trolling in his forum..

BTW, Merry Christmas to ya brutha Hale!

48. Thanked Diamondjimi for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (12-24-2009)

Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

New Project...!!

Ok , so just lately this blues thing has taken over and It's been going down rather well with the good folk in the pubs that I frequent ...maybe they're just pissed but I'm looking into forming a permanent thing.

Anyway I saw a great little trio in a pub .. they were playing SRV , Rory Gallagher and a bit of Gary Moore , the strat he was playing looked rather unusual and so after the gig I got talking to him about it. He came over to us and proceeded to literally throw the strat down on the table with such force I thought he'd dropped it accidently....but he hadn't , it was just to relic it up a bit more...I thought that was fucking cool. So this strat was a squire body with a good aftermarket neck and decet pups , if I remember rightly in the bridge was a duncan humbucker (single coil size) and the other two were texas specials.

So I thought this was all rather good ... and then I thought fuck it I'm going to have a go at that myself as my stuff is all spiffingly shiney and dosn't look at all like it's been dragged behind your car as your wife's driving off with your best friend , all your money , your dog , your blue suede shoes and your Robert Johnson lp's.....If you get my meaning.

So.....

Cheap squire body from ebay £20 already with two decent dings .... I'm in the process of relicing it as we speak ... I've ordered a neck and vintage machine heads , gonna have to wait a bit for the pups though.

This might turn out ok or it might turn out shit , but either way it's going to be fun trying.

50. 2 users say thank you to Reverberator for this KICKASS post:

Coyote (12-27-2009),jhale667 (12-27-2009)

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Rag down the body with muriatic acid reduced 50% with hot water, it should pickle the surface abit and take some of that shine off.

Or you could use 1200 wet-dry sandpaper, dipped in warm water with just a hint of bar soap rubbed into the water to lube the sandpaper.

Or the safest way to degloss the body would be to use automotive rubbing compound (red, not the white stuff), and handbuff the hell out of it, that finish is really really hard and thick stuff.

It won't easily take to wear n tear.

52. Thanked GAR for this KICKASS post:

Dump Messiah
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have already took the shine of with 1000 grit , I've dinged it up some more and have done all sorts of shit . waiting for the neck now.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Judging by the grain in the neck pocket, that's that shit Chinese Elm they call Asian Maple. But its no relation to Maple.

They're okay bodies, not very resonant but you could do alot worser for equiv of fifty bucks.

Thread Information