X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Coyote's Build

Might as well start a thread for this...

Alright, so here's what I ordered from Musikraft some three weeks ago:

Neck
    Scale: 25-1/2" Standard Fender
    Number of Frets: 22 With FB Extenion
    Nut Width: 1-11/16"
    Heel Width: Custom 2-1/4"
    Neck Wood: Quarter Sawn Maple
    Tuner Hole Size: Gotoh/Scaller/Sperzel 10 mm
    Trussrod Option: Duel Acting Adjust at Heel
    Finger Board Radius: Compound 12-16
    Finger Board Inlay Top: Black Phenolic
    Finger Board Inlay Side Markers: Black
    12th Dot Spacing: Narrow Post 1964
    Fret Size and Type: Jumbo Stainless
    Nut Style: Floyd W/O Holes
    Back Profile: Chunkey U .90 to .90
    Finish: Tung Oil
    Additional Options: Semi Rolled Finger Board Edges, 4 Neck Mouting Holes Drilled

Body
    1 Pc Mahogany
    Neck Pickup: Strat Single Coil
    Mid Pickup: None
    Bridge Pickup: Humbucker
    Bridge Rout: Recessed Floyd
    Control Route: Rear (Charvel Style)
    Jack Style: Side (7/8")
    neck pocket: 2-1/4"

On the same night, also ordered an OFR from Warmoth and a brass Big Block (along with some noiseless springs) from FloydUpgrades.

After getting the important bits, and a sixpack of "thought work", I found myself ordering the following from Thomann:
    Graph Tech saddles for the Floyd, one Goldo Back Box (trem stabilizer), a Duncan Triple Shot, a Dimarzio True Velvet, a Dimarzio ClipLock strap and various other parts. (electronics, neckplate, etc.)

Unfortunately, they didn't have Custom Trembuckers (TB-5) in stock.
    However... A visit to a local music store turned out to be fruitful.
    I had 75€ left over from an order I had canceled, so I asked them to order up a TB-5 instead. (Which I'm picking up tomorrow.)

The Thomann package arrived today, here's to waiting for the other packages...

Now, as far as the paintjob... A little something like this

And I'll figure out how to do the scales without a "tapejob from hell" approach...

To Be Continued...
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

I thought someone here had an easy way to do scales......was it cheese cloth or something like that?

Take tons of pics, dude! Can't wait to see the progress.
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Coyote
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
      I thought someone here had an easy way to do scales......was it cheese cloth or something like that?
      No cheese allowed on this axe, dude...

But seriously, I think fishnet stockings might do the trick.

Take tons of pics, dude! Can't wait to see the progress.
      'Course I will!
      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

No cheese aloud!!!

Originally posted by Coyote
        No cheese allowed on this axe, dude...

But seriously, I think fishnet stockings might do the trick.
        Actually, fishnet stockings may stick to the finish faster than you think it (plus it would probably gum up fast, too); you'd probably be better off (and this is how I've seen it done in paint tutorials online and from articles about Jackson guitars, etc.) using some sort of metal-mesh/fencing with holes in the latticework that would create the desired scale pattern, like one could probably find at a hardware store....

Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Spit 'n' chickenwire, eh?

Which reminds me, I gotta find some copper/aluminum foil for the control cavity...
          Last edited by Coyote; 12-11-2009, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

I did say cheese.......sorry guys!
            Originally posted by vandeleur
            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Coyote
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
              Actually, fishnet stockings may stick to the finish faster than you think it (plus it would probably gum up fast, too); you'd probably be better off (and this is how I've seen it done in paint tutorials online and from articles about Jackson guitars, etc.) using some sort of metal-mesh/fencing with holes in the latticework that would create the desired scale pattern, like one could probably find at a hardware store....

Problem being how to get it to wrap around the body...
              (Assuming it ain't flexible...)

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Who's your buddy, who's your pal? It's ME, isn't it?

Problem being how to get it to wrap around the body...
                (Assuming it ain't flexible...)
                Don't think that's the way you'd do it, from what I've seen; think you use a smaller section (probably large enough to cover one side at a time,and a airbrush in the example I saw) and do it like a puzzle, essentially - making sure the "scales" line up as you paint each successive patch until you're done...the bitch would/will probably making the sides of the body match up with the front and back, but you'll finger it out...

Couldn't find the original one I saw, found two where the photobucket account the pics were linked to was "inactive". Thought I'd seen one on Frankenstraat.com but his site's down...again. Stayed up a whole month this time, thought he was back up and running...

But I did find this one, maybe you've already seen it? If not, here it is again:

Snake Skin Paint

In their example they're doing it on a gun, but it'd be almost if not the same principle, right?

"Here is a how to on a very simple yet effective paint-job called snake skin. This is a great alternative to other camo patterns because you do not have to cut out stencils.

Stuff you might want:

Spray Paint (I used rustoleum camouflage series)

Colors I used: Khaki, forest green, earth brown, and black

Netting (this can be tough to find, I used the netting from a dump bag, which you can probably find in the camping aisle of Wal-Mart")

So....Is there an equivalent of Wal-Mart "across the pond" as they say?

If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2004

Damn J, that paint job on the gun looks fuckin bad ass! The same on a guitar in a matt or low sheen finish would look sweet. If I were to do one, I'd probably go with a non traditional colour scheme.

Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I've always wanted to build one and do it in real snakeskin, but it would be very un-PC these days, especially in LA ...mentioned it around a girl I know who's involved with animal rescue and the ASPCA & she told me she would kick my ass if I ever did...

I mean, I'm all for saving puppies and kittens and whatnot, but man-eating reptiles? Y'know, giant Anacondas (which is what I want, like Warren D's in the "Lay it Down" video), Pythons (which is what I'm pretty sure his favorite one is), and Boas, y'know -the only ones that get BIG enough to be able to cover a body and headstock from the same piece....? Uh, fuck them!

I'm sure everyone's seen the pic on Rotten.com of the snake they killed in Colombia, think it was, where a worker that was helping clear-cut some land wandered off a little too far on lunch, took a nap by a tree and became lunch himself for a giant boa (thing was like 18ft long or some shit -they'd cut it open to get the dude's body out, and there was still LOTS of uninterrupted snake body left)? Someone (me!..lol) coulda used the skin off that one....

There's also a YouTube floating around where someone stumbled on to one in mid-swallow of a baby HIPPO (pretty sure that's what it's eating)...they startle the thing, it pukes it up and bails? A baby hippo, fer cryin' out loud? One less of those, that's all I'm sayin'...!

Can't wait to see the progress on Coyote's build, though! I know you're gonna post mass pics, too...
                    Last edited by jhale667; 12-11-2009, 11:58 PM.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

Warren DeMartini's "Rattler" snakeskin job was done with the metal mesh called "k-lathe."

It's used to apply concrete and mortar to walls and surfaces in preparation for tilework.

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Wow, an ON TOPIC post...congratulations.

The Anaconda one's in a Hard Rock Cafe somewhere, last I heard, and he retired the Python one...would you be referring to this one?

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2004

Right, whichever one was made in the 80's.. maybe both who cares.

You can spray the base color black, brown, grey, or a mottled blotch of several dark colors.

Then with an airbrush or a touchup gun, you can sorta "fill in" a range of cells as you see fit with the lighter colors: gold, silver, white, yellow etc. as you like.

One gal at the factory had a xeroxed transparency of the main pattern, which she airbrushed the pattern of the diamond rows onto a white-painted K-Lathe sheet, kept as a "master template."

The transparency was the template, not the K-lathe. Although I suppose once you filled in the rows and were carefull, you could redo it over and over as a template. But the transparency shot onto the guitar body from an overhead projector makes any pattern easy.

The same method did the Jack Daniel's, Budwieser and Heineken beer labels.. b & w transparency shot onto taped-over guitar body and traced with pencil and the colored areas peeled off in layers or filled over with new tape in other layers.

Comment

• Coyote
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                            So....Is there an equivalent of Wal-Mart "across the pond" as they say?

Sort of a "Cheap-O-Mart"... I've yet to find a camping section, though...

And yeah, I remember seeing that paintball link.
                            Last edited by Coyote; 12-12-2009, 05:15 AM.

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Sort of a "Cheap-O-Mart"... I've yet to find a camping section, though...

And yeah, I remember seeing that paintball link.

Figured so, but also figured couldn't hurt.
                              Camping industry not big over there, huh? Europeans don't do that shit anymore? Really?
                              "Y'all don't do a buncha huntin' and feeshin', do ya" I guess... Or maybe it's just your local "Cheap-O-Mart"...if they're anything like Wal-mart (or any other huge ass US chain store), ask 'em if they can pull the inventory from another location, y'know? lol

Well, on a positive note, say GAR's right (it could happen) about the product name, now you can at least see if you can find it locally...or at least someplace that will ship it to ya cheap...

Did you get your block from from FloydUpgrades yet? What the hell time is it over there vs. PST, your mail run yet? Waitin' for a shipment from him as well, but holidays...regular US mail's already hammered...just got something (and I mean like a regular letter, not a parcel) postmarked Nov 30th yesterday....
                              Last edited by jhale667; 12-12-2009, 06:11 AM.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

Working...