Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GAR
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

This guy is more meticulous about it than is necessary.

He's using a tiny Paasche gun, but then again his example work area is one-tenth the size of a guitar.

You could use a small touch-up gun for the same shading effects, I don't know that you want so much of the diamondback pattern defined because to me and in my experience the more crisp the details are on something like this the less real it actually looks.

Animals in the wild, you never see them out flat in full detail. That's why I suggest going around corners and not having the mesh to directly flat on the surface when shading is so critical as this guy emphasizes in clip 1, 4:30.

The edges aren't completely important to invoke the image of a real animal.

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Cool video series find, Coyote. Wanna post the rest of the 4-part series? I'm bookmarking them to watch the rest, anyway!
      I think it's fascinating to watch artists do crap like this, and actually see how their brains work in action. Interesting he's using the hardware store mesh too. Scale size would end up different, looks like. Might turn out cooler with the K Lathe, looks like they'd be bigger when done? Bigger scales visually suggesting it came off a bigger, meaner snake? Ah, possibilities...

Those Paasche guns are the ones I used to watch my friend work with a lot. And the opening shot made me miss my old Chevy Nova SS...(paintjob was nowhere near that cool, though)..

Can't wait to see progress photos of the build...

Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

At the end of the embedded clip, there are icons in the screen that a mouse-over will reveal their titles such as "part 2 part 3 etc"

Also if you doubleclick the Youtube video area, in Firefox it will open another window with Youtube and all the hidden page info such as the Other Videos under the guys' channel list.

Also, with K-lathe one thing you can do is stretch it out to make the diamond shape wider or thinner, or vary or even twist a little just like a snakes' body.

You can hold down on a table in the middle and pull on the sides, leaving the middle with skinny diamonds, but fatter going out to the sides just like real snake hide.

So there's about the last trick I recall you can do, the stretch-thing of the K-lathe.

And about the Paasche guns, this guy is really into detail but in doing snake stuff he's got an idea of how to do it, but obviously he wasn't there in the day to see how the guitars were really done: the colors were done very quickly with a wide tip for detail and a touchup gun for broad long strokes, so like I mention -- holding down of the material isn't really critical if you're shading just a few passes.

Actually I kinda laughed at how focused the guy was on forming his material down with super thick tape and keeping that material totally flat, because if he had been using wider tips with higher than the 40psi he says he's using, he could hold a higher distance above the work and be more effective about it.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
          And, of course, YouTube delivers...

Cool vid. Get this thing goin and get some photos up!
          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Coyote
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

As soon as the rest of the parts arrive!

Shoulda taken UPS instead...
            Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

Did you order the body with a clear sealer coating or some solid color as a base?

Comment

• Coyote
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                Did you order the body with a clear sealer coating or some solid color as a base?
                There wasn't an option for either one... Unbelievable, but true.

I assume it's clear-sealed.

In other news, the Floyd's in the Funland customs office, waiting for a copy of the purchase confirmation...

I knew I should've had it UPS'd...
                Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                  There wasn't an option for either one... Unbelievable, but true.

I assume it's clear-sealed.

In other news, the Floyd's in the Funland customs office, waiting for a copy of the purchase confirmation...

I knew I should've had it UPS'd...
                  Think you have to click a separate link for their paint shop, and it's an upcharge for sealer or primer (same with Warmoth)...the body I ordered from Musikraft showed up bare wood, but that was the plan anyway in that case...
                  If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I still think this is the coolest real snakeskin guitar ever made. I've read interviews where Warren said this was a primered body they covered, and it sounded like muffled ass, so they did the python one over bare wood, and it sounded great.

Good news is, Coyote - if the body shows up bare(and likely will) clear sanding sealer's cheap from StewMac.com....

ColorTone Aerosol Guitar Lacquer at Stewart-MacDonald

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Nice...

Too bad about the shipping restrictions...

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Oh, crap - missed that. There's got to be some Euro equivalent, right?

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

I'm sure there is. I'll ask a carpenter friend of mine...
                          The dude made a fairly decent Les Paul copy as his final exam work...

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Lacquer. Anything lacquer. You don't need a primer.

Lacquer sealer, sanding sealer, nitrocellulose lacquer, acrylic lacquer, all good choices.

But do not put a solid color acrylic lacquer over a nitrocellulose base sealer or lacquer, it tends to chip.

But putting an acrylic-sealer base or acrylic lacquer clear base, and then doing colors in nitrocellulose lacquer is fine because basecoats are thicker than color coatings usually - and acrylic chips less than nitro.

Comment

• Coyote
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Musikraft sent an email. The parts have been shipped...
                              (And probably lost in the mail... )

Only thing missing now, is the block...
                              Last edited by Coyote; 12-21-2009, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• jackassrock
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Sep 2004

I take it you're going with aluminum ?
                                It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

Working...