Thread: Breaking News....McGwire admits steroid use!

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Breaking News....McGwire admits steroid use!

APNewsBreak: Mark McGwire admits using steroids

By RONALD BLUM
    AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Mark McGwire finally came clean, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998. McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade.

"It's very emotional, it's telling family members, friends and coaches, you know, it's former teammates to try to get ahold of, you know, that I'm coming clean and being honest," he said during a 20-minute telephone interview, his voice repeatedly cracking. "It's the first time they've ever heard me, you know, talk about this. I hid it from everybody."

McGwire said he also used human growth hormone, and he didn't know if his use of performance-enhancing drugs contributed to some of the injuries that led to his retirement, at age 38, in 2001.

"That's a good question," he said.

He repeatedly expressed regret for his decision to use steroids, which he said was "foolish" and caused by his desire to overcome injuries, get back on the field and prove he was worth his multimillion salary.

"You don't know that you'll ever have to talk about the skeleton in your closet on a national level," he said. "I did this for health purposes. There's no way I did this for any type of strength use."

McGwire hit a then-record 70 homers in 1998 during a compelling race with Sammy Sosa, who finished with 66. More than anything else, the home-run spree revitalized baseball following the crippling strike that wiped out the 1994 World Series.

Now that McGwire has come clean, increased glare might fall on Sosa, who has denied using performing-enhancing drugs.

"I wish I had never played during the steroid era," McGwire said.

McGwire's decision to admit using steroids was prompted by his decision to become hitting coach of the St. Louis Cardinals, his final big league team. Tony La Russa, McGwire's manager in Oakland and St. Louis, has been among McGwire's biggest supporters and thinks returning to the field can restore the former slugger's reputation.

"I never knew when, but I always knew this day would come," McGwire said. "It's time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what people have suspected."

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig also praised McGwire, saying, "This statement of contrition, I believe, will make Mark's re-entry into the game much smoother and easier."

McGwire became the second major baseball star in less than a year to admit using illegal steroids, following the New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez last February.

Others have been tainted but have denied knowingly using illegal drugs, including Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and David Ortiz.

Bonds has been indicted on charges he made false statements to a federal grand jury and obstructed justice. Clemens is under investigation by a federal grand jury trying to determine whether he lied to a congressional committee.

"I'm sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs had I never taken steroids," McGwire said. "I had good years when I didn't take any, and I had bad years when I didn't take any. I had good years when I took steroids, and I had bad years when I took steroids. But no matter what, I shouldn't have done it and for that I'm truly sorry."

Big Mac's reputation has been in tatters since March 17, 2005, when he refused to answer questions at a congressional hearing. Instead, he repeatedly said, "I'm not here to talk about the past" when asked whether he took illegal steroids when he hit a then-record 70 home runs in 1998 or at any other time.

"After all this time, I want to come clean," he said. "I was not in a position to do that five years ago in my congressional testimony, but now I feel an obligation to discuss this and to answer questions about it. I'll do that, and then I just want to help my team."

"That was the worst 48 hours of my life," McGwire said.

La Russa immediately praised McGwire's decision to go public.

"His willingness to admit mistakes, express his regret, and explain the circumstances that led him to use steroids add to my respect for him," the manager said.

McGwire disappeared from the public eye following his retirement as a player following the 2001 season. When the Cardinals hired the 47-year-old as coach on Oct. 26, they said he would address questions before spring training, and Monday's statement broke his silence.

"I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989/1990 offseason and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again," McGwire said in his statement. "I used them on occasion throughout the '90s, including during the 1998 season."

McGwire said he took steroids to get back on the field, sounding much like the Yankees' Andy Pettitte two years ago when he admitted using HGH.

"During the mid-'90s, I went on the DL seven times and missed 228 games over five years," McGwire said. "I experienced a lot of injuries, including a ribcage strain, a torn left heel muscle, a stress fracture of the left heel, and a torn right heel muscle. It was definitely a miserable bunch of years, and I told myself that steroids could help me recover faster. I thought they would help me heal and prevent injuries, too."

Since the congressional hearing, baseball owners and players toughened their drug program twice, increasing the penalty for a first steroids offense from 10 days to 50 games in November 2005 and strengthening the power of the independent administrator in April 2008, following the publication of the Mitchell Report.

"Baseball is really different now - it's been cleaned up," McGwire said. "The commissioner and the players' association implemented testing and they cracked down, and I'm glad they did."
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have no sympathy for these guys nor am I making excuses for them but come on now.......it would be easier to say who didn't use 'roids.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't care if Big Mac ate live babies before each game. After the World Series was canceled, I had lost all remaining interest I had in a sport that had become stale, slow, predictable and boring. The summer he chased & beat Roger Maris was magic. Made me love the game again.

And steroids may make you stronger, but you still have to swing a sliver of wood at a ball coming towards you at 95 mph and hit it in just the exact spot and direct it into just the right trajectory for it to be a hit. Steroids may make a good hitter hit the ball further, but they have to be a quality hitter to begin with.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We all suspected it. He admitted it. He gave details. He's out from under it.
    It sucks to be Roger Clemens right now eh?

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bonds has been indicted on charges he made false statements to a federal grand jury and obstructed justice. Clemens is under investigation by a federal grand jury trying to determine whether he lied to a congressional committee.
    No shit, Les......those are federal charges.

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs down

No surprise, but any douchebag cheater that is caught or admits using roids should be stripped of any record or title gained during play.
    -Cowards-
    -Liars-

Burning is to good for them.
    ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    It sucks to be Roger Clemens right now eh?
    Yep. that's what I was thinking.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He did an hour long interview with Bob Costas on MLB Network....

Absolute horseshit, fuck him and everyone else who took steroids....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't want to hear any negative SHIT about Pete Rose ever again.

Fuck Bonds, fuck Giambi, fuck A-Roid, fuck Sosa, fuck McGwire..fuck 'em all.
    Phonies.
    Frauds.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post

And steroids may make you stronger, but you still have to swing a sliver of wood at a ball coming towards you at 95 mph and hit it in just the exact spot and direct it into just the right trajectory for it to be a hit. Steroids may make a good hitter hit the ball further, but they have to be a quality hitter to begin with.

Bullshit. It could be the difference between popping one to the SS and sending it out of the park. Quality hitter my ass. None of these guys were looking for base hits.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hideyoursheep View Post
    Bullshit. It could be the difference between popping one to the SS and sending it out of the park. Quality hitter my ass. None of these guys were looking for base hits.
    Bingo. They weren't looking for base hits at all.

Which just adds fuel to the fire in the argument over Pete Rose.

MLB needs to get the fuck over it and lift the ban.

Say what you want about Pete. He's a prick, he bet on some games, he's a money-grubbing whore for autographs, whatever...

But at least he staked his achievements on pure talent and hustle. Rose defined "quality hitter", not some juiced-up hack like McGwire.

Cmama Baby....Bottoms up!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is as surprising as Rob Halford publicly admitting he is gay.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, I will ONLY say this in defense of what he's saying about hand/eye coordination, as someone who played baseball at a pretty high level, almost got signed, yadda, yadda....

He's right in that if you don't have that hand/eye coordination, you can take all the steroids you want, it won't matter....

That's why it makes me so upset... Barry Bonds was a Hall-of-Famer before he left Pittsburgh as a skinny runt, a 3-time MVP.... HE DIDN'T NEED IT !!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anyone that said Jose Canseco was a liar please stand up!!!!!
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He's so Irrelevent now, does it even matter 6-8 years later after the senate hearing??

look at his neck & the stretch marks for the growth, its gross..

EUAS

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Anyone that said Jose Canseco was a liar please stand up!!!!!
    Well, of course the players involved were going to call Canseco a liar when he pointed the finger at them.

But, liar or not, Canseco is still an overall scumbag.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by redblkwht View Post
    He's so Irrelevent now, does it even matter 6-8 years later after the senate hearing??

look at his neck & the stretch marks for the growth, its gross..
    Sure, it still matters.

McGwire's relevance as an individual player has obviously become a thing of the past.

But the tainted records he set and the larger legacy left behind by the "juice era" will continue to reverberate for a long time.

If even just one young kid says "I'm not going to fuck my career with that shit" because of what a loser McGwire turned out to be, then there will always be "relevance."

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hideyoursheep View Post
    Have you ever tried to hit a 95 mph baseball that is spinning, dropping, curving, twirling a different direction every time? When a guy is throwing it at you trying to make you miss? If you were lucky enough to swing within 2 seconds of it already passing I commend you. If even better, you actually got some wood on the ball, chances are you fouled it off.

Hitting a baseball "squarely" in the major leagues is not an easy task by any stretch. And just because you can jack em out of the park & hit line drives at will at the local Fun Center batting cages doesn't even come close. I doubt many of us could even pop one to short stop without a whole lot of luck. And definitely not in any consistent form over an entire season. (This isn't where you guys list your little league achievements)

Yeah, the home runs were manufactured by injected strength. These guys will pay the ultimate price with their health & reputations. But, don't think for one second that the steroids gave them any of that natural hitting talent. That was already there. The steroids just made the ball go farther.

I say allow steroids. Just make the parks a whole lot bigger.

And who looks for base hits? Everyone wants to go yard. Just look at Tony Gwynn...arguably the best pure hitter in baseball during that era. Now compare the amount of money & fame he received compared to the home run hitters.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is someone who is descended from Irish who decided on arriving in the US that McGuire was far far too difficult to spell....

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Does anyone else find it a little pathetic to worry about these sacred stats like HR's etc, when some of the best athletes in the world, namely African Americans, were denied the right to play in the league?

I couldn't care less about this entire subject when you take time to reflect on it in this perspective.
    Roth Army Canada

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFlamma View Post
    Does anyone else find it a little pathetic to worry about these sacred stats like HR's etc, when some of the best athletes in the world, namely African Americans, were denied the right to play in the league?

I couldn't care less about this entire subject when you take time to reflect on it in this perspective.
    Well, um, sure....I guess so. A little to the extreme, don't you think?

The problems of African-Americans in the time of the Negro league extended far beyond baseball. In the grand perspective, baseball was TRIVIAL compared to the denial of basic civil rights and equal treatment under the law.

Some say those problems are still rampant today, but certainly not in baseball. So-called "minorities" are the kings of the game, including African-Americans and Latinos.

The issue of juicing is pretty specific to professional sports (with an emphasis on baseball in this case) not to our society as a whole.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    Bingo. They weren't looking for base hits at all.

Which just adds fuel to the fire in the argument over Pete Rose.

MLB needs to get the fuck over it and lift the ban.

Say what you want about Pete. He's a prick, he bet on some games, he's a money-grubbing whore for autographs, whatever...

But at least he staked his achievements on pure talent and hustle. Rose defined "quality hitter", not some juiced-up hack like McGwire.
    Right, and let's not forget that when Pete became a free agent and signed with Philly, he received a whopping 3.2 million bucks for 4 years....that's chump change by today's standards for the best baseball player in our lifetime, so I can't really slam his money-grubbing tendencies.

His slice of the pie wasn't that great to begin with.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post

And who looks for base hits? Everyone wants to go yard. Just look at Tony Gwynn...arguably the best pure hitter in baseball during that era. Now compare the amount of money & fame he received compared to the home run hitters.
    I like Tony Gwynn. I liked Kevin Mitchell, Junior, Aaron and Larkin. Those guys I have respect for....

NOT these assholes who came in with the ability to hit the ball at 180lbs and turned into Optimus Prime in their late 30's and 40's, then began miraculously crushing the ball out of the state.

Their ego's were too big for them to admit that it was time to hang it up due to diminishing skills and constant injury. They weren't shooting up to win a Golden Glove! Stop it.

It's cheating, period.

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I really don't care either way, but as far as Rose goes wouldn't that be like being rewarded for being the lesser of two evils??

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rose never threw a game, or did steroids. It's foolish to ignore the juice epidemic in MLB and make gambling of all things, the single worst thing you can do.

Guys using roids and coke everywhere you look, just don't call a bookie. Either the Players Union is more powerful than the game itself, or Selig has balls the size of Sun-Maid raisins...or both.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This was outstanding, listen to the zinger at the end....

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=4821107"/></object>

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How can you possibly take someone seriously when they are wearing that jacket...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jacket aside, but for as much vitriol that people spewed at Canseco when he put that book out, 99% of those same people now say that he was 100% right....

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    Well, um, sure....I guess so. A little to the extreme, don't you think?

The problems of African-Americans in the time of the Negro league extended far beyond baseball. In the grand perspective, baseball was TRIVIAL compared to the denial of basic civil rights and equal treatment under the law.

Not really. All I am saying is that the real reason this gets so much play is because of the implied importance of these hallowed statistics. Are you telling me that this isn't the case? Face it, they should already be meaningless before steroids.

Baseball is all about stats, but the stats themselves have no meaning given they excluded the best athletes from the game. Arguing of who should have an asterisk beside their numbers due to alleged and admitted steroid use, etc is a joke.

Of course this is meaningless given the bigger picture of denying people basic human rights, but make my point no less valid.

The whole premise that these stats should mean a thing is my problem with the amount of time and resources spent on it. Congress? Pulease.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Perhaps a Steroid League should be founded?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ESPN's Outside The Lines show will have an interview with the guy that sold McGuire steroids, starting in the late 1980s. This would seemingly contradict McGuire's statements of using them for health reasons. The show airs Sunday morning at 9AM (EST).

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Thread Information