Last Online
    @
    Status

More Ed hawking

From VHND:

1/18-24: Barrett-Jackson set to roll out auction extravaganza
    by Kellie Hwang - Jan. 11, 2010 03:25 PM
    The Arizona Republic

More than 200,000 people from around the world will come together next week for the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction. Important cars up for auction are the 1930 Ford Model A Coupe used by infamous gangster John Dillinger and a Boyd’s Hauler 1993 Chevrolet custom pickup truck built for rocker Eddie Van Halen.

Barrett-Jackson Lot: 1258.1 - 1993 CHEVROLET CUSTOM PICKUP “BOYD’S HAULER”

car1
    Lot Number: 1258
    Auction: SCOTTSDALE 2010
    Sale Price:
    Year: 1993
    Make: CHEVROLET
    Model:
    Style: CUSTOM PICKUP “BOYD’S HAULER”
    Exterior Color: RED
    Interior Color: GREY
    Cylinders: 8
    Engine Size: 350
    Transmission: AUTOMATIC
    Summary: “Boyd’s Hauler”, designed by Chip Foose for Eddie Van Halen. Built at “Hot Rods By Boyd” and included with the sale is a signed Eddie Van Halen Wolfgang guitar.

Details: Built for Eddie Van Halen, this 1993 Chevrolet pickup is known as the “Boyd’s Hauler”. The truck was originally designed by Chip Foose in 1993 and built at “Hot Rods By Boyds”. Included with the sale, for the first time ever will be an Eddie Van Halen autographed EVH brand prototype electric guitar. The prototype was used in the development process for the redesigned Wolfgang Special. This is a new model in the EVH brand line of instruments, set for worldwide release in 2010. Rounding out the auction package will be a pair of office EVH brand striped sneakers and the original hand drawn rendering of the truck you see pictured here. Boyd Coddington achieved worldwide fame for his understated elegant approach to design, while maintaining respect and dignity. Boyd’s creations never wasted energy. The EVH Boyd’s Hauler is no exception. Built exclusively for Eddie Van Halen, the Hauler began its life as a brand new everyday 1993 Chevy 1500 1/2 ton, shortbed pickup. The original motor was replaced by a Corvette LT1 5.7L 350cid V8 and complimented by a 700R4 automatic transmission. The truck was lowered and modified to accept a Corvette independent rear suspension. Up front, the Hauler features a billet grille and a sleek front bumper/air dam. The back end sports a rolled pan and recessed license plate. It wouldn’t be a Boyd creation without the right shoes, hence the one-off 16″ and 17″ asymmetrical billet wheels and “big and bigger” set of BFGoodrich tires. The truck was upgraded to a set of 20″ and 18″ one-off wheels designed and built by Chris Coddington. The truck has been fitted with a custom stainless steel exhaust system by Magnaflow and is rounded out by a custom audio system courtesy of Memphis Audio and installed by Extreme Audio and Customs of Riverside, California.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here is the vehicle in question. More images and info at Boyd's Hauler

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i remember that rig. it was a cover story in Hot Rod magazine too.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Appears his new wife doesn't care for Ed's car collection...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Appears his new wife doesn't care for Ed's car collection...

In reading the link Craig posted.....the truck was just sitting outside rotting.

Over the years, the real truck has been occasionally used and sometimes abused. In recent years it was mostly neglected, ultimately left sitting outside. The paint was faded; the once-pristine bed was filled with an accumulation of dirt and junk. That was the state the truck was in when it arrived at American Hot Rods in Anaheim, CA. Dwayne Mayer and Bernt Karlson, who recently opened the new shop, were entrusted with the task of restoring the Hauler.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What would Ed have used this for though honestly? A single cab pickup truck, no bed liner, and a giant advertisement for who is driving it. Considering how Ed likes to be a recluse, I can understand not using it.

If you are a fan of this pickup, there is also a 1/24 scale model from Testors that was made. Not on the market anymore but I've seen them on eBay before. The type of model where you glue it together yourself.

Oh, and the coolest thing about this truck is the rims.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    In reading the link Craig posted.....the truck was just sitting outside rotting.
    Ah it wasn't just the cars... she wants the whole damn yard, garage and everything cleaned up!! Typical... New Mrs... New nest...

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, I hear ya.....

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Firstleee:... of all it is hardly a "truck" I believe it is a Chevrolet and that means city feller wanna be my little pony truck.

Like all chevy whatever they call them (trucks CHOUGH Hack!!) it is not worth the recycled rusty metal it is made out of.

Secondleee:... someone made it into a barbie dream truck for Ken to go pick up his dates in.

A low rider truck!!!!! only the mexicans could think of that. (cause they are short and need step ladders to climb into thier CheVVieeeeZ!!) and then the whitieeeez [pendekkos]... takes it to the next level in a suburban pussyfication of what was allready junk.

Thurdlieee:.... these candy assed trucks must be hunted down and killed on site.

Fourthlee:.... Look mom I'ma COWBOY see me wear my 600$ Stetson inside the cab while driving to McDonalds!!

DIE! DIE! DIE!!!!

EDIT: I am sorry to say we must also "Put Down" the trailer as to prevent any further contamination.

DIE!! DIE!! DIE!!!
    Last edited by thome; 01-13-2010 at 06:52 PM.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fifethly:..That "thing" wouldn't haul a turd.

Sixlie:...It is living up to it's "HAULING" BOYD's potential up on a trailer.

DIE DIE DIE!!!!

Seventhelie:.. DAIL!! 911 ( see above pick) too Late.................. call the coroner.

Die!! Die!!! DIE!!!!

Eightlie: Are you sure Ed didn't leave it out on the street..? this isn't fit for a driveway much less a garage..Ed is smarter that I thought.
    Last edited by thome; 01-13-2010 at 07:17 PM.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    What would Ed have used this for though honestly? A single cab pickup truck, no bed liner, and a giant advertisement for who is driving it. Considering how Ed likes to be a recluse, I can understand not using it.
    Wait, you can't see Ed heading on down to Home Depot for some 2x4's and a load of mulch ???

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What would Ed have used this for though honestly? A single cab pickup truck, no bed liner, and a giant advertisement for who is driving it.
    i dunno, performance trucks were all the rage in the early 90's. yeah there was still the Camaro, Firebird, and Mustang, but hot RWD cars other than those were pretty much dead (Viper just coming to market, Impala SS was a couple years away...) and back when it was built, Ed didn't have to worry about a bunch of turds with video cams trying to tape him and put it on the internet.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Wait, you can't see Ed heading on down to Home Depot for some 2x4's and a load of mulch ???
    There was an article in some old guitar magazine, describing how Ed unceremoniously chucked his guitars into the back of his pickup, in order to tote them down to a photo shoot for the article. So we know that he has driven it once.

I like how he throws in one of his guitars and a pair of sneakers, just like when he sold off those two highly questionable heaps from last year's auction that was televised on SPEED channel. His incredible lack of attention to detail (The engine compartments were so filthy even a 3 dollar can of spray on/hose off Gunk Foamy Engine Brite would have been an improvement, and is it all that hard to replace a couple of 1157 tail light bulbs? ) lead to an underwhelming amount of money being made for them. The sedan went for $92,000, the Nomad went for $85,000. That may seem high, but compared to the other cars there fetching $150,000 and up, the amount was very slight. The crowd showed no interest and the cars were on and off the stage in a minimal amount of time. And Mr. Van Halen was notable only by his absence.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    There was an article in some old guitar magazine, describing how Ed unceremoniously chucked his guitars into the back of his pickup, in order to tote them down to a photo shoot for the article. So we know that he has driven it once.
    i remember that too, may still have that Guitar World mag.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's in the Guitar World Presents: Van Halen book.
    Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He was taking care of his precious "Smoking Loon" bottles at the time.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...and curing cancer.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm not one to pick on Ed, but it does seem like he's getting the junk cars out of the yard. Good for him!

"But, Hun, it's a classic. It'll wash right up, a can of fix a flat and it's good to go!"
    To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
    MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fxk3HvPIRqc&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fxk3HvPIRqc&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    $39,000? Pretty underwhelming sale. That barely covers the cost of the 'Vette engine, the wheels and the stereo system. Then again, it really isn't all that special of a truck. It's essentially a lowered (and therefore useless) pick up with a coat of paint, a quick motor and fancy wheels. Shit, for that price you don't even get a bed liner. Pass.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    $39,000... well there's another 4 months Ed has no motivation to do anything musical...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    $39,000... well there's another 4 months Ed has no motivation to do anything musical...
    Unless Janie hits a sale at IKEA or Crate & Barrel. $40 grand doesn't spend like it used to.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    $39,000? Pretty underwhelming sale. That barely covers the cost of the 'Vette engine, the wheels and the stereo system. Then again, it really isn't all that special of a truck. It's essentially a lowered (and therefore useless) pick up with a coat of paint, a quick motor and fancy wheels. Shit, for that price you don't even get a bed liner. Pass.

I don't know the story but I wouldn't build anything like that for myself or have it built ..???

I am assuming ED did some work or Val gave him this or some company thing..?

If so it was free and sitting on that to me piece of junk throwing in a Wolfgang signed Git and signing the glove box and getting 40G's well that ain't so bad.

As a matter of fact the two signatures are the only value I can see.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thome View Post
    I don't know the story but I wouldn't build anything like that for myself or have it built ..???

I am assuming ED did some work or Val gave him this or some company thing..?

If so it was free and sitting on that to me piece of junk throwing in a Wolfgang signed Git and signing the glove box and getting 40G's well that ain't so bad.

As a matter of fact the two signatures are the only value I can see.
    I linked the story in the second post of the thread. EVH bought the truck new and commissioned the work through Boyd Coddington's shop, where Chip Foose worked before striking out on his own. Foose designed the truck more than likely on his lunch break, as there is little done to the vehicle other than lowering it, swapping out the motor/drive train and bolting on a few doodads.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I linked the story in the second post of the thread. EVH bought the truck new and commissioned the work through Boyd Coddington's shop, where Chip Foose worked before striking out on his own. Foose designed the truck more than likely on his lunch break, as there is little done to the vehicle other than lowering it, swapping out the motor/drive train and bolting on a few doodads.
    I like Boyds hot rod work and Foose well two big names in restoration and tricking out rides.

I just don't like little trucks but I am not everyone else.

You can't put two people in them and you can't haul anything.

They remind me of those trucks that have 4 doors and a 4x4 bed the aren't a car they aren't a truck they aren't a SUV whtF..?

I am rather utilitarian when it comes to trucks, Short beds are junk, Step sides are junk, Street trucks are junk . I am not down personally with 4 wheel drive you know the huge lift kit and he doesn't want to scratch the paint so it never leaves the city and is used as what for it was designed..?

Check this restoration out it is wonderouse and gives me wood.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The trend locally over the past dozen years has been to take a small truck, like a Chevy or a Nissan (yet oddly, never a Ford Ranger) and cut the springs, turning it into a low ride with zero ground clearance. This destroys the truck's functionality, essentially making it a car. A few have bed caps, either the flat or camper style, in order to install (and keep from getting element ruined or stolen) teeth rattling stereo systems. Now why have a truck in the first place if you can not haul anything by making it too low to the ground or filling the bed with electronics?

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The trend locally over

I can dig it..I do know of a couple people who made alot of money running the what I call "Barbie Trucks".

Tricking them out as you have mentioned and selling them to highschool kids.

A few that have speciality busineses for a small haul, the stock ones. I can dig thier convienence and mileage. Delivery service..? I am trying to give the benifit of the doubt..lol

But, they just bug me especially the converted ones like you have mentioned.

You can't put your buddies in it to go party (highschool uses) you can't really get a lot done just solo cool I guess..? You can go 4 wheeling wtf..? I wouldn't want one, can't even get laid by your sweety in the back with the tailgate down..that sounded dirty...lol

Everytime I see one I think isn't that cute He converted a "My Little Pony" truck to be cool ..uugg.

However hot babes do look kinda sexy there...lipstick and ciggarette, cruising by me..."hey, hey, wait a second where you going....." "I love em, I need em..."
    ..lol

I will say one thing a converted fullsize 150 chevrolet or ford from the 70's not lowered but classically tricked with street tires is cool..just myop. I don't mind a subtle twisting of the stock..

Nice tanoe cover 50 series on the back with a full size bed only, or it just looks wrong..

peace..

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think things really got started with those old El Caminos and Rancheros, which were not trucks at all but merely station wagons with the roof cut off. Inevitably, some dopes would put a camper shell on them, making you wonder why they didn't by a wagon in the first place.

I had a '76 El Camino, white with a black vinyl top, matching tonneau cover and slotted dish American Racing mags front (60s) and rear (50s). That was one scary beast, let me tell you.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01-24-2010 at 02:25 PM.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the Chevys were a Malibu, cut off behind the drivers seat exactly the same in every other way.

I never really dug those, but have seen some badassed ones, to light in the rear, no traction, you have to add weight to get anywhere..lol

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Check this restoration out it is wonderouse and gives me wood.
    the bed is from a different generation F150 than the cab is. body lines don't match up. a cobbled together heap. i'd pass.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    the bed is from a different generation F150 than the cab is. body lines don't match up. a cobbled together heap. i'd pass.

I am no guy... you know like some "Guy" or anything, but I do believe that is a F350 or what we call, us non-guy ( guy means like truck expert) a, One Ton Ford .

The F350 1 Ton.. came with several options one was a Dual Package rear end, the truck was called a camper special..? , and was meant for a fifth wheel trailor or a cab over camper. Long hauling lots of weight. Hence the need for dual support.

The truck used the exact same axle wether it was runnin the dual wheels with the side fenders on, or if the fenders were off and the truck was running just two rear tires.

A different axle than a standard two wheeled Ford 350 of that year, to accomodate the duals.

I believe they purposely lifted the bed to accomodate the dual set up, but stayed with the same frame that all Ford trucks came with so.....this could all be original.

The same bed is the same for the non-dual the cover fenders are a bolt on over the sides of the bed, a factory option..

I am no Guy tho i'm just say'n...
    Last edited by thome; 01-24-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post

Anything but a new ALBUM right..

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am no guy... you know like some "Guy" or anything, but I do believe that is a F350 or what we call, us non-guy ( guy means like truck expert) a, One Ton Ford .

The F350 1 Ton.. came with several options one was a Dual Package rear end, the truck was called a camper special..? , and was meant for a fifth wheel trailor or a cab over camper. Long hauling lots of weight. Hence the need for dual support.
    you are completely missing my point. the bed is not from the same year/generation truck as the cab and fenders. i don't give a shit what's UNDER it. the bed has not been lifted, it is not the bed that came with that front end. look at the beltline, they do not match up from cab to bed.

it's possible there was no dually version of the older truck, i am not a Ford fan so i don't know. don't even care what frame it's on.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    you are completely missing my point. the bed is not from the same year/generation truck as the cab and fenders. i don't give a shit what's UNDER it. the bed has not been lifted, it is not the bed that came with that front end. look at the beltline, they do not match up from cab to bed.

it's possible there was no dually version of the older truck, i am not a Ford fan so i don't know. don't even care what frame it's on.

I had to go help a friend who had a clogged sink just got back and while I was gone I was thinking that I am wrong!

You are correct the tail lights did not go around the sides on a 79 wich I think the cab is.

I noticed the bed trim line also when I first saw the truck pic, but assumed since the trim channel was the same size....oh well i am wrong...

This must be a bed from a 80's truck ..?

I do know the 79 came with duals but I am wrong everywhere else...

Why would someone spend all than money on paint and have a wrong year bed...?

Oh well, maybe he couldn't find one or it suits his needs he does have some nice out buildings though... but they also don't match..WTF..??

http://classiccars.com/108705.car

check link out..wtf..?
    Last edited by thome; 01-24-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Thread Information