• Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

More Ed hawking

From VHND:

1/18-24: Barrett-Jackson set to roll out auction extravaganza
    by Kellie Hwang - Jan. 11, 2010 03:25 PM
    The Arizona Republic

More than 200,000 people from around the world will come together next week for the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction. Important cars up for auction are the 1930 Ford Model A Coupe used by infamous gangster John Dillinger and a Boyd’s Hauler 1993 Chevrolet custom pickup truck built for rocker Eddie Van Halen.

Barrett-Jackson Lot: 1258.1 - 1993 CHEVROLET CUSTOM PICKUP “BOYD’S HAULER”

car1
    Lot Number: 1258
    Auction: SCOTTSDALE 2010
    Sale Price:
    Year: 1993
    Make: CHEVROLET
    Model:
    Style: CUSTOM PICKUP “BOYD’S HAULER”
    Exterior Color: RED
    Interior Color: GREY
    Cylinders: 8
    Engine Size: 350
    Transmission: AUTOMATIC
    Summary: “Boyd’s Hauler”, designed by Chip Foose for Eddie Van Halen. Built at “Hot Rods By Boyd” and included with the sale is a signed Eddie Van Halen Wolfgang guitar.

Details: Built for Eddie Van Halen, this 1993 Chevrolet pickup is known as the “Boyd’s Hauler”. The truck was originally designed by Chip Foose in 1993 and built at “Hot Rods By Boyds”. Included with the sale, for the first time ever will be an Eddie Van Halen autographed EVH brand prototype electric guitar. The prototype was used in the development process for the redesigned Wolfgang Special. This is a new model in the EVH brand line of instruments, set for worldwide release in 2010. Rounding out the auction package will be a pair of office EVH brand striped sneakers and the original hand drawn rendering of the truck you see pictured here. Boyd Coddington achieved worldwide fame for his understated elegant approach to design, while maintaining respect and dignity. Boyd’s creations never wasted energy. The EVH Boyd’s Hauler is no exception. Built exclusively for Eddie Van Halen, the Hauler began its life as a brand new everyday 1993 Chevy 1500 1/2 ton, shortbed pickup. The original motor was replaced by a Corvette LT1 5.7L 350cid V8 and complimented by a 700R4 automatic transmission. The truck was lowered and modified to accept a Corvette independent rear suspension. Up front, the Hauler features a billet grille and a sleek front bumper/air dam. The back end sports a rolled pan and recessed license plate. It wouldn’t be a Boyd creation without the right shoes, hence the one-off 16″ and 17″ asymmetrical billet wheels and “big and bigger” set of BFGoodrich tires. The truck was upgraded to a set of 20″ and 18″ one-off wheels designed and built by Chris Coddington. The truck has been fitted with a custom stainless steel exhaust system by Magnaflow and is rounded out by a custom audio system courtesy of Memphis Audio and installed by Extreme Audio and Customs of Riverside, California.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Here is the vehicle in question. More images and info at Boyd's Hauler

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i remember that rig. it was a cover story in Hot Rod magazine too.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Appears his new wife doesn't care for Ed's car collection...
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          Appears his new wife doesn't care for Ed's car collection...

In reading the link Craig posted.....the truck was just sitting outside rotting.

Over the years, the real truck has been occasionally used and sometimes abused. In recent years it was mostly neglected, ultimately left sitting outside. The paint was faded; the once-pristine bed was filled with an accumulation of dirt and junk. That was the state the truck was in when it arrived at American Hot Rods in Anaheim, CA. Dwayne Mayer and Bernt Karlson, who recently opened the new shop, were entrusted with the task of restoring the Hauler.
          Originally posted by vandeleur
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

What would Ed have used this for though honestly? A single cab pickup truck, no bed liner, and a giant advertisement for who is driving it. Considering how Ed likes to be a recluse, I can understand not using it.

If you are a fan of this pickup, there is also a 1/24 scale model from Testors that was made. Not on the market anymore but I've seen them on eBay before. The type of model where you glue it together yourself.

Oh, and the coolest thing about this truck is the rims.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
              In reading the link Craig posted.....the truck was just sitting outside rotting.
              Ah it wasn't just the cars... she wants the whole damn yard, garage and everything cleaned up!! Typical... New Mrs... New nest...
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

Yeah, I hear ya.....
                Originally posted by vandeleur
                E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• thome
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Mar 2005

Firstleee:... of all it is hardly a "truck" I believe it is a Chevrolet and that means city feller wanna be my little pony truck.

Like all chevy whatever they call them (trucks CHOUGH Hack!!) it is not worth the recycled rusty metal it is made out of.

Secondleee:... someone made it into a barbie dream truck for Ken to go pick up his dates in.

A low rider truck!!!!! only the mexicans could think of that. (cause they are short and need step ladders to climb into thier CheVVieeeeZ!!) and then the whitieeeez [pendekkos]... takes it to the next level in a suburban pussyfication of what was allready junk.

Thurdlieee:.... these candy assed trucks must be hunted down and killed on site.

Fourthlee:.... Look mom I'ma COWBOY see me wear my 600$ Stetson inside the cab while driving to McDonalds!!

DIE! DIE! DIE!!!!

EDIT: I am sorry to say we must also "Put Down" the trailer as to prevent any further contamination.

DIE!! DIE!! DIE!!!
                  Last edited by thome; 01-13-2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• thome
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Mar 2005

Fifethly:..That "thing" wouldn't haul a turd.

Sixlie:...It is living up to it's "HAULING" BOYD's potential up on a trailer.

DIE DIE DIE!!!!

Seventhelie:.. DAIL!! 911 ( see above pick) too Late.................. call the coroner.

Die!! Die!!! DIE!!!!

Eightlie: Are you sure Ed didn't leave it out on the street..? this isn't fit for a driveway much less a garage..Ed is smarter that I thought.
                    Last edited by thome; 01-13-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sadaist
                      What would Ed have used this for though honestly? A single cab pickup truck, no bed liner, and a giant advertisement for who is driving it. Considering how Ed likes to be a recluse, I can understand not using it.
                      Wait, you can't see Ed heading on down to Home Depot for some 2x4's and a load of mulch ???
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

What would Ed have used this for though honestly? A single cab pickup truck, no bed liner, and a giant advertisement for who is driving it.
                        i dunno, performance trucks were all the rage in the early 90's. yeah there was still the Camaro, Firebird, and Mustang, but hot RWD cars other than those were pretty much dead (Viper just coming to market, Impala SS was a couple years away...) and back when it was built, Ed didn't have to worry about a bunch of turds with video cams trying to tape him and put it on the internet.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                          Wait, you can't see Ed heading on down to Home Depot for some 2x4's and a load of mulch ???
                          There was an article in some old guitar magazine, describing how Ed unceremoniously chucked his guitars into the back of his pickup, in order to tote them down to a photo shoot for the article. So we know that he has driven it once.

I like how he throws in one of his guitars and a pair of sneakers, just like when he sold off those two highly questionable heaps from last year's auction that was televised on SPEED channel. His incredible lack of attention to detail (The engine compartments were so filthy even a 3 dollar can of spray on/hose off Gunk Foamy Engine Brite would have been an improvement, and is it all that hard to replace a couple of 1157 tail light bulbs? ) lead to an underwhelming amount of money being made for them. The sedan went for $92,000, the Nomad went for $85,000. That may seem high, but compared to the other cars there fetching $150,000 and up, the amount was very slight. The crowd showed no interest and the cars were on and off the stage in a minimal amount of time. And Mr. Van Halen was notable only by his absence.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                            There was an article in some old guitar magazine, describing how Ed unceremoniously chucked his guitars into the back of his pickup, in order to tote them down to a photo shoot for the article. So we know that he has driven it once.
                            i remember that too, may still have that Guitar World mag.

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                              Sniper
                              • Oct 2009

It's in the Guitar World Presents: Van Halen book.
                              Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

Working...