Neil Peart records new version of "Hockey Night in Canada" theme.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Neil Peart records new version of "Hockey Night in Canada" theme.

RUSH Drummer's Version Of 'The Hockey Theme' Available Online - Jan. 14, 2010
    RUSH drummer Neil Peart's new rock version of "The Hockey Theme" — the iconic song that used to open "Hockey Night in Canada" telecasts — debuted earlier tonight (Thursday, January 14) during TSN's broadcast of the Toronto-Philadelphia game. You can now hear it in the YouTube clip below.

Peart's unique rock version of "The Hockey Theme" will be used during select NHL on TSN broadcasts throughout the remainder of the NHL season. It will also be available for digital download on iTunes on Tuesday, January 19.

The new version of "The Hockey Theme" showcases Peart on a custom drum kit by DW Drums featuring the logos of all 30 NHL teams. Peart and DW Drums are donating the custom kit to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, where it will be on display for hockey and music fans alike to enjoy.

The St. Catharines-born percussionist worked with Grammy Award-winning producer Nick Raskulinecz to create his interpretation of the iconic theme.

"Growing up in Southern Ontario in the '50s and '60s as 'a kid who couldn't skate right' was a serious handicap," said Peart. "Hockey totally dominated our lives for half the year — Sunday nights with my dad at the St. Catharines Arena cheering on the Junior A Blackhawks, anxiously watching NHL games on television, arguing in the schoolyard over favorite teams and players, trading hockey cards, putting them on our bicycle spokes, and playing on backyard rinks and frozen ponds, on the street, and on those old tabletop games. Hockey ruled. So, all these years later, being invited to create a new version of 'Canada's second national anthem' for TSN's NHL broadcasts was a huge honor to me, and an exciting musical challenge. The day of recording and filming it — in the presence of the Stanley Cup — was truly one of the great experiences of my life."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/12FyPaQfvw0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0 xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/12FyPaQfvw0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0 xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

OK, that rocks........besides not having the Red Wings logo on his kit...it would be perfect
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

It's alright, but it needs a 12 minute drum solo, so you can see all the individual team logos on all the drums.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BITEYOASS
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

All it needs now is for Don Cherry to write some lyrics and sing.

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Too cool! There is a photo gallery of the recording and video shoot (including some close ups of the drum kit) at the TSN website.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• degüello
            Sniper
            • Mar 2004

Cool and fun, but a little disappointing. I thought he'd do more with it.
            "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

Working...