Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave and John 5 recording

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Agreed, especially if the majority of the stuff that he would come up with is a replica of the Hagarita era....

I would "hope" that's where Dave's input in the process would make a difference, but we shall see....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    The question of Ed having the inspiration to compose again is valid...

Odds are good 98% of his past creations were inspired by a straw up his nose, the bottom of a bottle and a carton of Winstons plus the hunger/drive of a young man...

All that's left is the smokes and rusty memories...

Maybe Wolfie can bring something to the table that can fire up the old men... Hopefully the boy has more drive than he displayed on-stage. But being Ed's son I'd have to think the nut didn't fall far from the tree...

Someone else suggested this but Ed should consider hawking clocks with no hands...
    Well for starters....Wolf did get the band back together. I'm not sure if Jesus H. Christ could have pulled that off. I say lets lay in wait.

Any thoughts, Jesus?
    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can see Mr. Roth producing an album...but...this is =VH= land...anything can happen...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Imapus_Sylicker View Post
    Woooah!!!!

Those are some FIIIINE boobies ye be sportin' thar, lass

Let me 'av a go at 'em, then.

*grope* *grope*

Oh, yeah!

Cheers! :bottle:
    Hey! They are delicate! At least I think they are. Just be careful with them!

They are a might fine pair of Boobies aren't they. And just staring right at ya!
    To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
    MICHAEL G. MULLEN

tod@megachump.com
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    Depends on what Dave is recording with John, if thats really the case: DLR Band, or future VH song pitches for VH7.
    I'll see John tonight at the Grammy Museum and ask him what's what.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    thanks, tod.
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I highly doubt it.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by closetrockstar View Post
    I highly doubt it.
    that you're a closet rockstar?

tod@megachump.com
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Welp, the answer is Nope

John5 is working with Zombie and has his own new solo release coming out along with a couple side gigs but nothing with Dave at present. Mind you, the mention of Dave brings forth great accolades and praises as one of the best front men in rock. He mentioned that all his studio gigs on DLR Band were FOR Dave and what Dave how Dave why Dave wanted the music and band persona to come out so its DLR Band and not Lowery & Dave Band at all. Far as I can tell, there's no animosity there at all..specially considering he was pulled back in for ThugPop. (I'd always assumed there was a burned bridge after Manson scooped him up but that's not how those two operate because the skill respect is extremely high.)

Dave is brilliant and still has a few more tricks in the bag so I wouldn't be surprised if VH comes out with some crazy album which gets serious airplay...but I suspect there are many cooks in the kitchen behind the scenes. Dave and Ed might not have any input for all we know.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave is waiting for his next big pay day and it's not with John 5. 2010 tour probabale, new record, possible. The brothers must have put some gag order on Dave as well.

Money talks boys.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And...that your Pete's brother.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by closetrockstar View Post
    And...that your Pete's brother.
    if pete ain't my brother, i want all the money back he's taken over the years. please tell the band we miss them.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We'll do. :tongue0011:

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    From blogsnroses.com

Could John 5 Be Recording an Album with Diamond Dave?
    I am all about rumors and hearsay especially when it involves David Lee Roth. So could John 5 (Rob Zombie, Marylin Manson) be recording an album with the legendary David Lee Roth?

This started from a press release from John 5's people about his new album The Art of Malice:

The Art Of Malice" further showcases John 5 to be one of the most technically advanced guitarists in the business today. Fans of driving rhythms and ear-catching, over the top, guitar work will keep this in their CD player for months on end. This album has everything that the fans come to expect — chicken pickin', shred,metal and Spanish guitar. The song titles vary as vignettes into John 5's life, such as the title "J.W." which are John 5's initials (John William Lowery) and what his father had called him growing up. "Ya Dig" comes from working with the master or frontmen David Lee Roth and also features Billy Sheehan on bass. "That is Dave's saying and it fits the music," says John 5.

A loyal reader has done some sleuthing and received this message from a John 5's publicist.

"J5's albums are always instrumental - No Dave ~ As far as the album for Dave, that is a Dave question for his press whenever he decides to announce it - J5 is a hired gun for that and is not for him to announce as it can spoil whatever Dave's peeps have planned."
    It sounds like there is at least one song from a David Lee Roth/John 5 collaboration. Could there be more? Maybe a new Dave solo record? I am erect with anticipation.

Blogsnroses.com
    Smilies

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm more inclined to believe at this point that Dave probably IS, in fact, working on solo material.

I think it should be quite obvious at this point that Van Halen has split up again.
    Twistin' by the pool.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dunno about anyone else, but for me the current entity known as 'Van Halen' splitting up won't be much of a loss.

They've been together 4 years now, with little other than a greatest hits tour to show for it.

It's not 1985 anymore: the feeling that it would be such a shame if Roth departed just isn't there for me this time around, because the band (as such) apparently have nothing left to offer muscially outside of retreads.

Roth and the Van Halens got back together and played some of the 6-Pack stuff live once more for old time's sake. Nice that it happened, but the 'wow' factor of that is only gonna work once.

About the only thing that Roth can "jeopardize" by pissing Eddie Van Halen off is another fat payday for another reunion tour.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At least we got the tour....not EXACTLY the closure I was looking for, but fuck closure, I want new material. If that means Dave has to do it himself, so be it.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The 2007-2008 tour, to me, was just the long-delayed result of what SHOULD have happened in 1996. The eventual result, because it sadly took too long to arrive, was bittersweet because the band floundered and pissed away any chances at a creative future that COULD have been pursued in 1996, 1997, 1998...they waited TOO fucking long to the point where age has taken its inevitable toll, particularly (but not exclusively) on Eddie.

With all of their years of childish diddling, the reality may well be that what we saw in 2007-2008 was the closest Van Halen could get to ending their career on a semi-high note (to have seen it end with that abortion of a tour in 2004 would have been a sad state of affairs, although more than part of me felt the Van Halens clearly deserved the have the band grind to a whimpering halt at that point).

I still have a hard time reconciling what the band meant to me 25+ years ago with the attitudes of Alex and Eddie Van Halen today. It makes me wonder if those guys were always the pair of assholes they appear to be these days...kind of like the old saying about not wanting to meet your heroes in real life, because they are bound to let you down.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    fuck that, i still wanna meet dave.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    fuck that, i still wanna meet dave.
    Let me know how that works out for ya! Not all it's cracked up to be if ya ask me!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas T. View Post
    Let me know how that works out for ya! Not all it's cracked up to be if ya ask me!
    I guess two outta three times he was cool! The second was really really disappointing! :0
    Basically told me to "Fuck Off!"

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There's a review of Jonh's CD over at Blabbermouth. A glowing review, however it is all instumental, no vocals. I don't know where this "Ya Dig" song is.
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

RockNRoll's Real God!!
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The tipping point in all of this is what (if anything) would EVH use as inspiration for writing new material? Perhaps a year of touring playing the old riffs might lead him back to the simplicity of the past in terms of writing, but you have to wonder exactly how much of it would serve as little more than going through the motions at this point. It's difficult for guys in their 50s to rekindle the past through much more than nostalgia, and even the greatest athletes lose the edge they once had in their youth. So if that is the case, I'd rather not hear any "new" stuff that was more or less an approximation of the past. That was the running theme of the dog and pony show known as the 2007/08 tour, wherein the flashes of true inspiration were few and far between. Yes, the effect is as comfortable as putting on an old sweater at times, but even that begins to chafe after a while.

I hate to be the perveyor of bad news, but Eddie has gone kinda nuts as of lately. He has become a recluse and hasn't done much of anything since 04. I think he feels that his spot in music history is cemented and has nothing left to prove. One more album just isn't necessary in his mind!
    The Hankster Cometh

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Dave should just say to Ed simply: "Hey you wanna do some stuff, call me. Until then I'm gonna be doing some tracks with some others. Bye."

Dave should do an album with a whole bunch of people he's worked with in the past and some he hasn't. He can do some songs with John 5, Steve Vai, maybe even Slash. Or even sing a song with a chick like Fergie or something. Why not?
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    I think Dave should just say to Ed simply: "Hey you wanna do some stuff, call me. Until then I'm gonna be doing some tracks with some others. Bye."

I think Dave has already pretty much told Ed the first part there, and left it at that. The reunion happened, so there is nothing to push for anymore. He isn't going to be haunted by the question of if/when it will ever happen now. Big weight off his shoulders. And he showed everyone he could do it and proved the critics wrong....and even proved the sisters wrong.

The problem with staying in contact with Ed, even if just to be friendly, is that Eddie is paranoid. In Dave's book he says he called him on Christmas or something just to say hello or sorry that his dad passed (I can't remember exactly what), and Eddie immediately went off yelling about him trying to get back in the band. (I think Dave called on his own fathers behest).

So that's a pickle. Say he wants to call Ed to congratulate on his recent wedding and immediately Eddie thinks he has ulterior motives. He calls to say "you wanna go fishing this Saturday", Eddie hears something totally different. So you kind of have to just let Eddie have the reigns and just hope he calls without doing too much in the meantime that will piss him off.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think VH is probably recording or still writing right now. If they aren't the band is done. If they started working on last year than it should probably be out later this year considering how long it takes EVH to work no, no back to backs since the early 80s. If they still are doing nothing than DLR should just steal one of those 10 'in the can' albums, add his parts and then put it online.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://www.amazon.com/Ya-Dig/dp/B003FQRZRC

Here's the instrumental (sample) "ya dig" sounds great!
    Last edited by vaijuju; 04-25-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Wolfie got hungry and ate the band.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Did someone forget to put the "No Soliciting" sign on the door?

I'm about ready throw napalm on this motherfucker!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ummm...... wasn't Dave supposed to be singing on this or something?

Not bad for an instrumental. Very "Van Halenish" in the same way that Slam Dunk was, but where's the Dave?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And what's with the blatant Page ripoff about 2: 00 in to this one?

http://www.youclubvideo.com/media/audio/1000/105078.mp3
    Last edited by FORD; 05-11-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damn... those tunes are pretty cool... He sure can play like a motherfucker! Would love to hear him with DLR again!

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    And what's with the blatant Page ripoff about 2: 00 in to this one?

http://www.youclubvideo.com/media/audio/1000/105078.mp3

it wouldnt be good rock n roll if it didnt resemble some fashion of classic rock n roll...
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm almost 100% sure VH are recording right now and we'll have a new album sometime either late this year or early next year. If they aren't recording, the band is done, over with, because Eddie's out of options. He's not going to take a risk with another new singer, and Sammy can't come cause that would mean firing Wolfie. What pisses me off about this is if new material isn't coming that means that in addition to being a cash grab, the last tour was just a nolstagia trip, not the 'new band' launch it was sold as. If this was the case, there was NO FUCKING EXCUSE TO HAVE LEFT MA OUT. Guess all that stuff about Wolfie being so amazingly talented was bullshit. I guess we'll never know. Fuck this band if an album is not released in the next 365 days.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    according to John5 interview May 14,2010 on "Hardrock nights" after talking about Eddie and dave, John5 said hes good friends with both and that "they" are currently writing and "Ed is on fire", looking and playing great!

tod@megachump.com
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Has anyone thought maybe John5 has "contributed" some riffs to the next VH album?

Bring on the Girls!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tod View Post
    Has anyone thought maybe John5 has "contributed" some riffs to the next VH album?
    It wouldn't be Van Halen if another Guitar player besides Dave played on the CD.
    Anything left in that bottle?

tod@megachump.com
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What if it's EVH playing but the rhythm for a song or two was offered by another player like John? It happens all the time...

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tod View Post
    Ummm, No...

Thread Information