X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kissfan1976
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2010

I am ozzy

I didn't even know this book was being released until yesterday.
    The reviews at Amazon.com say it's a pretty funny read.

Anyone else picking this up?

from Record Collector Magazine

I Am Ozzy

by Ozzy Osbourne With Chris Ayres

Sort of the diary of a madman

Ozzy Osbourne’s autobiography was always going to be a letdown in some ways. The man hardly made it easy on himself, claiming for at least a decade before its publication that the undertaking would be impossible because he can’t remember much of his past. Fortunately, this has proven to be untrue – there’s still gold in them hills, literarily speaking. The problem is that so many of the juicy details of Osbourne’s life have been conducted behind the closed doors of big business, or are still sub judice at the time of publication, that vast areas of his career with Black Sabbath or as a solo singer are skipped over.

If you’re looking for in-depth info on Patrick Meehan (Sabbath’s swindling manager) or the many lawsuits that have plagued Ozzy and his family over the years, for example, you’ll draw a blank here. Strangely, he also shows no interest in exploring the songs which he’s written and/or sung over the years. It’s telling that the one current lawsuit of most interest – Ozzy’s battle with Sabs guitarist Tony Iommi over ownership of the band’s name – is dealt with in a single, perfunctory paragraph. There’s also no mention of the fate of longtime cohort Zakk Wylde, who was dropped by the Osbourne camp with stunning callousness this year after decades of service.

Still, the bones and most of the flesh of the story are here. Ozzy rattles through his childhood and teenage years with unexpectedly precise recall, never avoiding the grim truth of those far off days, but also adding a rich dose of intelligent humour. The Sabbath years up until the death of Randy Rhoads in 1982 are the chapters that remain with the reader longest, as the 80s were taken up with Osbourne’s drug and booze issues, and the Ozzfest/MTV saga of recent years seem pretty lightweight in comparison.

Throughout, Ozzy is presented as the sad clown behind the drunken madness, admitting that he knows nothing about the record industry. For the juice on the toxic business deals and shark-like characters that lurked in the background, Sharon Osbourne’s candid autobiography, Extreme, is a better read, despite its poodles-and-celebs fluff.

• Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by kissfan1976
    If you’re looking for in-depth info on Patrick Meehan (Sabbath’s swindling manager) or the many lawsuits that have plagued Ozzy and his family over the years, for example, you’ll draw a blank here. Strangely, he also shows no interest in exploring the songs which he’s written and/or sung over the years. It’s telling that the one current lawsuit of most interest – Ozzy’s battle with Sabs guitarist Tony Iommi over ownership of the band’s name – is dealt with in a single, perfunctory paragraph. There’s also no mention of the fate of longtime cohort Zakk Wylde, who was dropped by the Osbourne camp with stunning callousness this year after decades of service.
    [/IMG]
    I've had it a while but never got around to reading it. A quick look showed the above to be true and I lost interest a bit. It's gone through the Sharon censorship if he ever knew anything.

There are a few good drinking stories that people might not have heard before which is all it's good for...

Comment

• Mr Walker
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Ozzy was on the Stern show this morning and more than once, Howard would ask Ozzy about a story from the book and Ozzy would deny that it happened...

"Howard said he read that Ozzy has trouble getting it up. Ozzy said that's not true but Howard read it to him. It was as recently as October of 2009."

"Howard said he read that Ozzy had hookers when he was younger. Ozzy said that wasn't true. Howard said it was in his book. Ozzy said he hasn't read the book yet. Ozzy was laughing when he said that."

Comment

• UK ROCKER
        Banned
        • Oct 2009

Ozzy got a 'ghost writer' in to write the book.

He is now waiting for a 'ghost reader' to read the book to him

Comment

• UK ROCKER
          Banned
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by kissfan1976

Strangely, he also shows no interest in exploring the songs which he’s written and/or sung over the years.
          That's because he never wrote them!

God bless Geezer (The unsung hero)

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Flying Spaghetti Monster bless Bob Daisley

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

I've heard that it's very scant on the Sabbs years, which is a shame......
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• ace diamond
                Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by UK ROCKER
                Ozzy got a 'ghost writer' in to write the book.

He is now waiting for a 'ghost reader' to read the book to him
                ozzy is dyslexic.
                he has openly admitted that in many interviews.
                so i seriously don't see ozzy reading any book without great difficulty.
                let alone writing one without either great difficulty or a lot of help.
                Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
                "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• UK ROCKER
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2009

It was a joke you idiot!

Humour --------->
                  <-------Ace Diamond

Comment

• ace diamond
                    Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

i gathered that.
                    i just figured i would explain the joke to those who didn't get it, uk rocker.
                    chill out and hoist a pint or many.
                    go to the pub already.
                    Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                    When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
                    "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• UK ROCKER
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ace diamond
                      i gathered that.
                      i just figured i would explain the joke to those who didn't get it,

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

I would read it...

I love biograhies, self, authorised or non....
                        But only if Im a fan of the subject...
                        I might lookout for this. Ozzy can be a funny
                        dude.....
                        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                          Veteran
                          • Jun 2005

I usually read rock biographies but in this case i really wonder if it is a biography. I don't really care for recollections from someone else. If i thought Ozzy really had a memory and could sit down with someone and poor out his heartfelt revelations i would be interested. However, i don't have any faith in that. I think to Ozzy, his career has been one big blackout with someone pointing him to the bus, the stage, his hotel and then back to the bus. I'll bet Motley Crue could tell you more about the Bark at the Moon tour than Ozzy.
                          RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                          LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Apr 2005

I'll bet Motley Crue could tell you more about the Bark at the Moon tour than Ozzy.[/QUOTE]

True !! The Randy stuff would be interesting maybe ??

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

Well, has anyone read the goddamn thing yet or not !!
                              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...