Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

State Of The Union thread

...your thoughts, opinions, and hopefully, insight.

Discuss...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    More lying. The only thing I would believe from any of the current politicians is "We are going to raise your taxes, take more rights away, and micro manage everything we can."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-30-2010 @ 09:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Can't wait for the $5 ATM fees that will result from these new bank taxes.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ally_Kat View Post
    Ally!!!

whatsup?

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    More lying. The only thing I would believe from any of the current politicians is "We are going to raise your taxes, take more rights away, and micro manage everything we can."
    well....LOL..as jaded and cynical as I am, I'm inclined to agree with you...

However, I've perused this particular forum on many occasions, and in doing so, I've come to see more than a few issues in a different light. There are posters here who are extremely passionate, and far more importantly, knowledgeable of our countries current state of affairs, and I just want their take on what was said in this last hour.
    More than likely, what they are asking themselves right now is "What the fuck does Hambone care about what I think about the State Of The Union speech?"
    Fair enough.....if you've seen my name on related messageboards, that means that somebody was about to be handed their own ass.
    I don't care anymore about that shit...especially when certain under-educated, sub-human, society-leeching pieces of shit are all-to-willing to bow their violin and give us more information of their own pathetic tax-sucking lives than we ever care to know....
    Let's just cut the bullshit and say that what may be discussed or argued in this particular thread could possibly help me as far as my 'political science' course, or even more possibly, my very view on American politics in general.

With all the "Ace can't even cut it as a WalMart door-greeter...or even a human being" threads stinking up this fucking place. (and I say this knowing damn well that it's 'self-inflicted'"), I also know that some people here are not only aware, but are willing to discuss what we've just heard from the person we've collectively appointed our Commander-In-Chief.

I'd rather focus and discuss these topics than cave in and discuss how utterly fucking disgusted we all are that we get of our beds everyday, take shit from our full'of'shit bosses for eight hours at a stretch just to line the pockets of faggots that are sucking our system dry.

I want opinions....I want thoughts....more than that, I want insight (independent thought) on what you've heard.

....that's all!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

I liked when he called for a spending freeze. Then said well, not for another year. Dude still has dreams to spend some big dollars this year & buy off a few more votes before he can freeze anything. And maybe he's hoping in a year people will forget what he said. Similar to closing Gitmo in no longer than one year.

Obama is addicted to spending. He displayed typical addict behavior. I'll quit, but not until next week.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Oh dear, the poor banks. There was actually legislation a few years back to restrict said fees.

The banks killed it with their bribe lobby...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-27-2010 at 11:55 PM.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Oh dear, the poor banks. There was actually legislation a few years back to restrict said fees.

The backs killed it with their bribe lobby...

The ATM fees are tiny compared. If you are unfortunate enough to be low on your balance, watch out for HUGE overdraft fees. Then, if you are you're unable to bring the account to a positive balance in 3 or 5 days, yep, another HUGE fee. Crazy when you're talking about maybe going $10 over your balance because you forgot to account for the regular monthly fee they charge.

They really are bastards.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    No shit. The banks will just pass the increased cost onto the consumer and the bank executives will still give themselves juicy bonuses. It won't change a thing. How about some banking regulation Obama? How about restoring Glass Stiegal? Clinton and Greenspan got rid of it and opened the door to all the speculation and abuse. When you could only put 1% down and buy and asset and then use that leveraged asset as collateral for another 1% down on the next one that's how $2 Gazillion dollars of derivative debt is made. I'm not making this up either, the debt is in the Gazillions. A number only used by astronomers and physicists. The world gross national product is around $80 trillion. We could put planet earth up on the auction block and never pay all the debt off. It's nuts.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It was most unholy of him to call out the Supreme Court on that abomination of a decision they made last week (and the Devil knows abominations!)

I also enjoyed the look on Timmy "the elf" Geithner's face when he mentioned how everybody hated the bank bailouts.

Damn it, I knew I should have been a dentist!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    The ATM fees are tiny compared. If you are unfortunate enough to be low on your balance, watch out for HUGE overdraft fees. Then, if you are you're unable to bring the account to a positive balance in 3 or 5 days, yep, another HUGE fee. Crazy when you're talking about maybe going $10 over your balance because you forgot to account for the regular monthly fee they charge.

They really are bastards.
    It's how they thank you for bailing them out with your tax dollars. The banks are making record profits off this. They got bailed out and now they are gouging the hell out of everyone. I don't bank with the big banks and I stopped using ATMs. I just take out the cash I need when I cash a check. I rarely use a credit card. I have one but basically use it for gas and pay the balance off each month. The only debt I have is what's left on my mortgage and I will have that paid off in five years. I've never financed a car. I pay cash. The only loans I've ever taken out was the one on the house and to buy some commercial property which I sold three years ago.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I worked my way through college but it was way cheaper in the 80's. My health insurance was only $35 a semester and it covered dental and everything. I broke my leg and the deductable was $20 and the rest was covered. The biggest expense was rent and food in those days. Health care was cheap and so was tuition. Books were a rip off but I can only imagine what they gouge the students today with.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I worked my way through college but it was way cheaper in the 80's. Books were a rip off but I can only imagine what they gouge the students today with.
    Fuckinay! $35 used (highlighted, underlined, etc.)
    ...and you're lucky if you get $15 back when you return 'em at the end of your course/semester.

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    03-21-2018 @ 02:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Back when I was a kid, you got 6 whores for $1. And you had to ride them uphill, both ways. And we were happy to have them!
    Last edited by Blackflag; 01-28-2010 at 01:47 AM.

15. 2 users say thank you to Blackflag for this KICKASS post:

FORD (01-28-2010),Guitar Shark (01-28-2010)

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2010 @ 01:25 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I worked my way through college but it was way cheaper in the 80's. My health insurance was only $35 a semester and it covered dental and everything. I broke my leg and the deductable was $20 and the rest was covered. The biggest expense was rent and food in those days. Health care was cheap and so was tuition. Books were a rip off but I can only imagine what they gouge the students today with.
    In my final year of med school I had to pay over 3 grand for textbooks, and there were many of them. I'm still sore about it.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackflag View Post
    Back when I was a kid, you got 6 whores for $1. And you had to ride them uphill, both ways. And we happy to have them!
    ...which goes a long way in backing up your story of how your dick fell off in the shower and why you spend your remaining days spewing bullshit on various messageboards.....

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    03-21-2018 @ 02:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    ...which goes a long way in backing up your story of how your dick fell off in the shower and why you spend your remaining days spewing bullshit on various messageboards.....

BuckFag doesnt seem to be having a very good day here today....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Sammy "the Fish" Alito apparently doesn't like it when the President calls out him and his fellow BCE appointed assholes for the worst SC decision since Dred Scott (or at least Florida Fraud 12/12/2000)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KMKD1Mi8o0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KMKD1Mi8o0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Thumbs down F the Fish. Sellout bitches.

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Sammy "the Fish" Alito apparently doesn't like it when the President calls out him and his fellow BCE appointed assholes for the worst SC decision since Dred Scott (or at least Florida Fraud 12/12/2000)

Yeah, as if to say "How dare he call us out for selling out and ENDING the democratic process as we know it in this country."

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Liked when he called out the Supreme Court, fuck Alito...

Liked when he told the Dems not to "run to the hills"....

Liked when he told the Repubs that "that's how budgeting works", among other things....

Liked what I heard when he got into some detail about the jobs plan....

Overall, I came into it not expecting much, because I knew the Repubs would sit on their hands most of the night... But it was nice to see that for the most part they were respectful and even gave him applause on several items....

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Books were a rip off but I can only imagine what they gouge the students today with.
    For the Spring Semester 2009 my son had to spend $690.47 on books and materials... not sure what my daughter had to spend.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post

Liked when he told the Dems not to "run to the hills"....

Liked when he told the Repubs that "that's how budgeting works", among other things....

Liked what I heard when he got into some detail about the jobs plan....

Overall, I came into it not expecting much, because I knew the Repubs would sit on their hands most of the night... But it was nice to see that for the most part they were respectful and even gave him applause on several items....

Yeah, liked when he nailed the Repubs with the part about "saying 'No' to everything is not LEADERSHIP"

But it was nice to see some of them show some support as the speech progressed - but they pretty much HAD to, lest the reveal themselves as nothing BUT obstructionists...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Well I'll buck the trend and offer my take on this SotU speech...

First and foremost... the President needs to quit campaigning for the office he holds. The campaign trail ended over a year ago. Some reflection on the past and how we got here is fine... but President Bush and his administration are retired. We get it on how we got here... time to get to the business of now and the future.

Jobs... I liked some of what I heard. Reduce taxes on small business through elmination of capital gains. Use banking bailout funds to provide capital to small/med business for investment. Growing business in the small/med segments will spur sustainable job growth.

Supreme Court jab... whatever. Most people can't stand the influence and $$billions$$ of wasted money spent by corporations and special interest groups influencing votes and elections. It don't put food on their tables or pay the rent. Obama committed to reduce or eliminate this within his administration... My take... support the court on their role in supporting the 1st amendment aspects. Rather than take shots at them... I'd much rather see significant elimination of political funding/lobbying on all levels through legislation that frankly makes all this crap illegal. Force corporations and special interest groups to invest in our economy. Allow them all the voice they want... shut off the flow of money in this area. Novel idea... through laws force the the special interest groups to lobby the American people. Take all of Congress, the White House and the courts out of the lobby/special interest game altogether.

Spending... nice idea to freeze it and evaluate line items. I don't hold much hope here. Actions speak louder than words... Until we see numerous tons of pork slashed and pork scanners installed at the halls of congress and the white house to prevent any new wasting of tax dollar... I won't be happy.

Health care... too much talk, smoke and mirrors and again tons of bacon and pork chops in play. Congress isn't brave enough to accomplish this task... the Insurance/Financial industry is winning the battle. Don't like much of anything on the table here as it sits and ferments...

It could be a simple thing. I think health care reform should be broken into separate segments to accomplish. First implement the reforms for pre-existing conditions, equality in rates for age, health, etc and most of the reforms that make any insurance coverage fair and equitable. Second... mandate and fund electronic records deployment. Set the data standards, set aggressive mandatory rollout and provide funding for small/med to adopt. Get health records out of the 19th century. Finally... go after the insurance industry. Single payer is about the best option... barring that... Create a public option that competes directly with the insurance giants. Make it affordable, simple and built to prevent fraud and profitiering... then let people decide what they want. It will force the insurance giants to change to compete or die...

Soap-box mode=off

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Yeah, liked when he nailed the Repubs with the part about "saying 'No' to everything is not LEADERSHIP"

But it was nice to see some of them show some support as the speech progressed - but they pretty much HAD to, lest the reveal themselves as nothing BUT obstructionists...

Obstructionists? The Republicans can't be blamed for the failures of the Democrats to get anything substantial accomplished this last year. Even if every last Republican said "NO", it wouldn't have mattered. The Dems had enough seats to run amok with whatever they wanted and they squandered it with their constant infighting, attacks on Republicans, and constantly blaming Bush for everything. inherited

They all spend so much time deciding who & how to blame others for their failures that they don't have time to determine how to work around obstacles, work together, and get things accomplished.

"Bipartisanship" doesn't mean the other side agreeing to your terms. It means both sides working together, negotiating, give & take, and compromise. All in the best interests of all Americans, regardless if they have a D or R on their voter registration card (or what their net worth is).

As far as Obama accusing others of lacking "Leadership", that's just laughable. For the last year, and during the majority of the campaign, the public was concerned with jobs & war. Rather than work on what was most important to the country, he pushed what was important to himself. It's not really leadership if no one is following.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The speech was weaksauce. I was hoping for: "To all of my republican congressional colleagues I would like to say, fuck you!"

But no, just the usual bi-partisan BS.

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 06:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, we wouldn't want free speech in this country now, would we?

Too funny. The total amount of his driving our economy into debt during the past year almost surpasses all 8 years of Bush together. I'll bet Obama can't even balance his checkbook. That is, when Michelle trusts him with it.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBrian View Post

How was anyone's free speech impeded before?

30. Thanked LoungeMachine for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (01-28-2010)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The guy you voted for twice said "There oughta be limits to free speech". And then he made fascist laws that did exactly that once the Supreme Court put him in office.

Whatever a "free speech zone" was supposed to be, you don't see them anymore, do you? Shit, you have lunatics with assault rifles showing up to see the current President. That guy would have been arrested within 10 miles of a Chimp rally.

Actual free speech should never be restricted. Corporate money is not speech. Corporations are not persons. And Opie Roberts was never qualified to be on the Supreme Court.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What's the company line, money = free speech ??

Indeed...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Obstructionists? The Republicans can't be blamed for the failures of the Democrats to get anything substantial accomplished this last year. Even if every last Republican said "NO", it wouldn't have mattered.
    Well, the current filibuster rules sure make it much, much easier to say NO to everything, which is exactly what they've done since he's taken office...

It's not like when Senator Stackhouse got up there and read from a cookbook and read Johnny Appleseed on The West Wing to filibuster for the funding of autism research....

All they need to do is threaten to filibuster, like Liebermann did, and without the supermajority, that's all they need to do to.....

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Great episode....

How many recipes can there be?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The guy you voted for twice said "There oughta be limits to free speech". And then he made fascist laws that did exactly that once the Supreme Court put him in office.
    Further proving with that STATEMENT alone (never mind the despicable actions that followed) he showed himself to be the OPPOSITE of an American "patriot". What a fucking joke - cloaking himself in the Flag while destroying our freedoms.

Whatever a "free speech zone" was supposed to be, you don't see them anymore, do you? Shit, you have lunatics with assault rifles showing up to see the current President. That guy would have been arrested within 10 miles of a Chimp rally.
    SO TRUE. Tell me if any a**hole would have attempted that at a Chimpy rally they wouldn't STILL be in GitMo classified as an "enemy combatant"? Please, I dare ya.

Actual free speech should never be restricted. Corporate money is not speech. Corporations are not persons. And Opie Roberts was never qualified to be on the Supreme Court.
    Exactly, exactly.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

I thought the speech was great overall and Obama is finally taking the gloves off. What amazed me about the speech is he seemed to piss everyone off equally....Dems and Repubs alike.

He stated his successes and acknowledged his failures. I loved the part about vetoing bullshit bills that cross his desk. Was that geared to Health Care Reform or just a wide brush stroke? Time will tell......Saying he hated the bailout and going after the Supreme Court was spot on. Hitting the Repukes as whinny do nothings was a great political jab.

37. Thanked kwame k for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (01-28-2010)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    He stated his successes and acknowledged his failures. I loved the part about vetoing bullshit bills that cross his desk. Was that geared to Health Care Reform or just a wide brush stroke? Time will tell......
    I was wondering the same thing. If he can veto a bullshit financial "reform" bill, then I would expect him to do the same with a bullshit health "reform" bill.

In fact, he DID say so in a previous speech. Couldn't tell you which one, off the top of my head, but my photographic memory remembers the exact words "the bill I sign will have a public option".

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was wondering the same thing. If he can veto a bullshit financial "reform" bill, then I would expect him to do the same with a bullshit health "reform" bill.

In fact, he DID say so in a previous speech. Couldn't tell you which one, off the top of my head, but my photographic memory remembers the exact words "the bill I sign will have a public option".
    Nice to see him firing a warning shot across the bow.....Now if Reid and Pelosi could grow a fucking pair we'd be alright.

I liked how he jabbed at the Repubs and rightly so....they have no ideas of their own and seem to be only interested in hamstringing the Demos, at the cost of the American people.

When Obama or actually Rahm Emanuel went for the kill when the Repubs where on the ropes and weak. They took the key Repubs out of play by offering positions in the WH and bullied their way to a Super Majority but.....it backfired and they'll have to make nice with the Repubs if they ever want to get anything done. The Demos are too much of a pussy to ram whatever the hell they want through, like Bush did, so at the end of the day either play nice with the Repubs or shame them publicly into accepting legislation.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A couple of interesting tidbits after Alito's "that's not true" of last night....

Obama voted Nay on Alito's confirmation vote in '06....

When Obama made a courtesy call on the Supreme Court after winning the Presidency, eight of the nine Justices were there...

The one that didn't show up ??

Alito....

41. 2 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (01-28-2010),LoungeMachine (01-28-2010)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A couple of interesting tidbits after Alito's "that's not true" of last night....

Obama voted Nay on Alito's confirmation vote in '06....

When Obama made a courtesy call on the Supreme Court after winning the Presidency, eight of the nine Justices were there...

The one that didn't show up ??

Alito....
    Ah, so it's personal with him then. Just what we need on the Supreme Court... a petty vindictive corporatist asshole.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ah, so it's personal with him then. Just what we need on the Supreme Court... a petty vindictive corporatist asshole.
    Yeah, 'cause it already worked sooooo well when we had one in the White House for the last 8 years..

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Yeah, 'cause it already worked sooooo well when we had one in the White House for the last 8 years..

Thread Information