X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Russians Answer the F-22 Stealth Fighter

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RHzdnrk92eU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RHzdnrk92eU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Russia flexes military power with 'futuristic' fighter jet

Russia returned to the global stage Friday as a first-rank military and technological power by launching a 'fifth generation' fighter plane, with futuristic characteristics of stealth, sustained supersonic cruise, and integrated weapons.

By Fred Weir Correspondent
    posted January 29, 2010 at 4:15 pm EST
    Moscow —

Vladimir Putin is jubilant, the Russian aviation industry is filled with pride, and even normally skeptical military experts say they're truly impressed by reports Friday that Russia has successfully test-flown the first prototype of a "fifth generation" fighter plane.

They all may have good reasons to cheer. Building such a plane is so expensive, complex, and technologically sophisticated that, until now, only the United States has been able to field an operational version of one: the F-22 Raptor.

According to news reports, Russia's venerable Sukhoi company – maker of many famous Soviet warplanes – sent the V-tailed, swept-wing Sukhoi T-50 on its maiden flight for 47 minutes Friday near Komsomolsk-na-Amur in Russia's far east (see video here) and it exceeded all expectations.

"We started flight tests of the fifth-generation aircraft today," Sukhoi CEO Mikhail Pogosyan told Russian news agencies. "I am strongly convinced that this project will excel its Western rivals in cost-effectiveness and these planes will constitute the backbone of the Russian Air Force for the next few decades."

A fighter of the "fifth generation" should have futuristic characteristics of stealth, sustained supersonic cruise, multi-role capabilities, integrated weapons and navigation systems that are controlled by artificial intelligence, over-the-horizon radar visibility and other cutting-edge wizardry.

Experts say that the mere fact that Russia can put one into the air announces its return to the global stage as a first-rank military and technological power.

"This is an epic event, because it's the first time in post-Soviet history that [the Russian military industry] has been able to create something brand new," Alexander Khramchikhin, an expert with the independent Institute of Political and Military Analysis in Moscow, says in a telephone interview.

"Everything we produced after the USSR's collapse was based on Soviet designs; nobody thought we could make anything so technologically complicated as this. But now, strange as it may seem, this shows Russia's level is very high."

Kremlin leaders have been promising to build this new aircraft for years as part of a broader effort to re-arm and modernize Russia's crumbling Soviet-era armed forces. Though Russia handily won its brief 2008 war with neighboring Georgia, the conflict revealed massive shortcomings in its military machine, including disastrously poor air support for ground forces and almost nonexistent aerial reconnaissance capability.

Prime Minister Putin praised the T-50's first flight as a "big step" in restoring Russia's traditional place as a global military power, and pledged that the air force will start receiving production models of the plane in about three years.

As Russia's president, Putin launched a sweeping, $200-billion rearmament program that aims to introduce new generations of nuclear submarines, intercontinental missiles, tanks, and aircraft carriers for the armed forces within the next five years.

Experts say the T-50 fighter, which has been developed in partnership with Russia's leading arms client India, will also go far toward restoring the tattered reputation of Russia's military-industrial complex as a leading supplier of weaponry in global markets.

"This is really good advertising; it shows buyers of Russian-made hardware that we can produce the most modern weapons and also improve them," says Vitaly Shlykov, a former Soviet war planner who now works as a civilian adviser to the Russian Defense Ministry.

"We invested a lot in this plane, and the fact that we can fly it has a big psychological impact," he says. "It has a huge symbolic meaning for Russia itself."

But skeptics say we'd best wait for more details about the top-secret plane of which we have seen, so far, only a few superficial images.

"We see the plane has some external characteristics that are new, but we have no way of knowing whether it actually possesses the technological features that would make it a fighter of the fifth generation," says Alexander Golts, military expert for the independent Yezhednevny Zhurnal, an online news magazine.

"It's great that it took off. Hurray. But I want to know a lot more about it."

Russia flexes military power with 'futuristic' fighter jet / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

© The Christian Science Monitor. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Policy.
  • Baby's On Fire
    Veteran
    • May 2004

I can't wait for Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck to blame this on Obama....seeing as Obama is a commie pinko......

Seriously...good for Russia....I'd love to see Russia bitch-slap the grand American "we're the best at everything" arrogance right back to where it belongs.

Maybe this will detract from the anti-Obama horseshit for a while....but I doubt it.

Somehow Obama will be blamed for the new Rise of the Commies......

Run for your lives!

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
      Seriously...good for Russia....I'd love to see Russia bitch-slap the grand American "we're the best at everything" arrogance right back to where it belongs.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

I can't wait for Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck to blame this on Obama....seeing as Obama is a commie pinko......

Maybe this will detract from the anti-Obama horseshit for a while....but I doubt it.

Somehow Obama will be blamed for the new Rise of the Commies......

Run for your lives!
        What this will do is guarantee another few hundred billion in increased defense spending.....

We can always afford more jets.....

Just not health care
        Originally posted by Kristy
        Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
        Originally posted by cadaverdog
        I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
          Veteran
          • May 2004

Yepper......And of course they'll all blame Obama for the Russian resurgence.

After all, Obama is conspiring with the Russians to ressurrect Soviet Communism........

My day was well spent...I pissed off Elvis. :tongue0011:

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Yepper......And of course they'll all blame Obama for the Russian resurgence.

After all, Obama is conspiring with the Russians to ressurrect Soviet Communism........

My day was well spent...I pissed off Elvis. :tongue0011:
            Not hard to piss off ELVIS.

Just post the truth.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
              Veteran
              • May 2004

I'm waiting for Cheney to accuse Obama of treason...for failing to protect the American people from the Russian menace.

Comment

• Coyote
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

We're back in the 1950's?

Great Scott!
                Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                  Veteran
                  • May 2004

Cheney will try and convince you it is.....

After all, he needs to pump up the volume so as to get Haliburton some more big contracts based on lies, illegal invasions of soveregin nations...and whatever else he can conjure up.

So why not the Rise of The Evil Empire? Those evil Russians.....

Comment

• Unchainme
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                    What this will do is guarantee another few hundred billion in increased defense spending.....

We can always afford more jets.....

Just not health care
                    Not to come off as a neocon, but in the constitution, Wasn't that one of the orignal intents of our Gov't collecting our tax dollars in order to fund our National Defense?

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
                    Don't get me wrong, things need to be done about Healthcare, be we in theory should always have a strong Nat'l Defense regardless of what we spend tax dollars on.
                    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Unchainme
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Apr 2005

Cheney will try and convince you it is.....

After all, he needs to pump up the volume so as to get Haliburton some more big contracts based on lies, illegal invasions of soveregin nations...and whatever else he can conjure up.

So why not the Rise of The Evil Empire? Those evil Russians.....
                      Uh, In case you havn't heard, he's not been involved in politics for about 2 years.

He's been mainly a pundit in the style of O'Reilly/Beck.

and why shouldn't we feel uneasy about the Russians? These are the same group of people who killed a guy with radioactive sushi.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                        Not to come off as a neocon, but in the constitution, Wasn't that one of the orignal intents of our Gov't collecting our tax dollars in order to fund our National Defense?

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't get me wrong, things need to be done about Healthcare, be we in theory should always have a strong Nat'l Defense regardless of what we spend tax dollars on.

And The Declaration of Independence calls for Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness

How can one guarantee life, if we can't even make healthcare a priority?

Besides, where did I say it was an "either or" question????

My point is if we can spend trillions on defense, we can find a way to force the Insurance Lobby to stop RAPING us in the name of Capitalism

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                          Uh, In case you havn't heard, he's not been involved in politics for about 2 years.

1 year.

and wtf does that have to do with anything?

He's still got the ear of the right wing media

Comment

• Unchainme
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2005

And The Declaration of Independence calls for Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness

How can one guarantee life, if we can't even make healthcare a priority?

Besides, where did I say it was an "either or" question????

My point is if we can spend trillions on defense, we can find a way to force the Insurance Lobby to stop RAPING us in the name of Capitalism

I'm not arguing against having Health Care Reform, simply saying that I personally hold having a strong national defense over it.

I've said it before, why not just have medicare expanded to those that really need it and allow the Insurance Co.'s to compete with each other accross state lines? Seems easy enough to me. And make sure they are laws that protect the consumer against said companies on the book, along with laws to ensure people don't just go sue crazy because they "slipped on pee-pee at the costco."

Comment

• Unchainme
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2005

1 year.

and wtf does that have to do with anything?

He's still got the ear of the right wing media
                              Cheney is sort of a non-issue. He can say whatever he wants out of the White House now and Republicans can chose to agree/disagree with it, but I don't think they're going to do thing solely on his word, that would be quite idiotic of them.

Comment

Working...