Thread: Russians Answer the F-22 Stealth Fighter

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Russians Answer the F-22 Stealth Fighter

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RHzdnrk92eU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RHzdnrk92eU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Russia flexes military power with 'futuristic' fighter jet

Russia returned to the global stage Friday as a first-rank military and technological power by launching a 'fifth generation' fighter plane, with futuristic characteristics of stealth, sustained supersonic cruise, and integrated weapons.

By Fred Weir Correspondent
    posted January 29, 2010 at 4:15 pm EST
    Moscow —

Vladimir Putin is jubilant, the Russian aviation industry is filled with pride, and even normally skeptical military experts say they're truly impressed by reports Friday that Russia has successfully test-flown the first prototype of a "fifth generation" fighter plane.

They all may have good reasons to cheer. Building such a plane is so expensive, complex, and technologically sophisticated that, until now, only the United States has been able to field an operational version of one: the F-22 Raptor.

According to news reports, Russia's venerable Sukhoi company – maker of many famous Soviet warplanes – sent the V-tailed, swept-wing Sukhoi T-50 on its maiden flight for 47 minutes Friday near Komsomolsk-na-Amur in Russia's far east (see video here) and it exceeded all expectations.

"We started flight tests of the fifth-generation aircraft today," Sukhoi CEO Mikhail Pogosyan told Russian news agencies. "I am strongly convinced that this project will excel its Western rivals in cost-effectiveness and these planes will constitute the backbone of the Russian Air Force for the next few decades."

A fighter of the "fifth generation" should have futuristic characteristics of stealth, sustained supersonic cruise, multi-role capabilities, integrated weapons and navigation systems that are controlled by artificial intelligence, over-the-horizon radar visibility and other cutting-edge wizardry.

Experts say that the mere fact that Russia can put one into the air announces its return to the global stage as a first-rank military and technological power.

"This is an epic event, because it's the first time in post-Soviet history that [the Russian military industry] has been able to create something brand new," Alexander Khramchikhin, an expert with the independent Institute of Political and Military Analysis in Moscow, says in a telephone interview.

"Everything we produced after the USSR's collapse was based on Soviet designs; nobody thought we could make anything so technologically complicated as this. But now, strange as it may seem, this shows Russia's level is very high."

Kremlin leaders have been promising to build this new aircraft for years as part of a broader effort to re-arm and modernize Russia's crumbling Soviet-era armed forces. Though Russia handily won its brief 2008 war with neighboring Georgia, the conflict revealed massive shortcomings in its military machine, including disastrously poor air support for ground forces and almost nonexistent aerial reconnaissance capability.

Prime Minister Putin praised the T-50's first flight as a "big step" in restoring Russia's traditional place as a global military power, and pledged that the air force will start receiving production models of the plane in about three years.

As Russia's president, Putin launched a sweeping, $200-billion rearmament program that aims to introduce new generations of nuclear submarines, intercontinental missiles, tanks, and aircraft carriers for the armed forces within the next five years.

Experts say the T-50 fighter, which has been developed in partnership with Russia's leading arms client India, will also go far toward restoring the tattered reputation of Russia's military-industrial complex as a leading supplier of weaponry in global markets.

"This is really good advertising; it shows buyers of Russian-made hardware that we can produce the most modern weapons and also improve them," says Vitaly Shlykov, a former Soviet war planner who now works as a civilian adviser to the Russian Defense Ministry.

"We invested a lot in this plane, and the fact that we can fly it has a big psychological impact," he says. "It has a huge symbolic meaning for Russia itself."

But skeptics say we'd best wait for more details about the top-secret plane of which we have seen, so far, only a few superficial images.

"We see the plane has some external characteristics that are new, but we have no way of knowing whether it actually possesses the technological features that would make it a fighter of the fifth generation," says Alexander Golts, military expert for the independent Yezhednevny Zhurnal, an online news magazine.

"It's great that it took off. Hurray. But I want to know a lot more about it."

Russia flexes military power with 'futuristic' fighter jet / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

© The Christian Science Monitor. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Policy.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    I can't wait for Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck to blame this on Obama....seeing as Obama is a commie pinko......

Seriously...good for Russia....I'd love to see Russia bitch-slap the grand American "we're the best at everything" arrogance right back to where it belongs.

Maybe this will detract from the anti-Obama horseshit for a while....but I doubt it.

Somehow Obama will be blamed for the new Rise of the Commies......

Run for your lives!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby's On Fire View Post
    Seriously...good for Russia....I'd love to see Russia bitch-slap the grand American "we're the best at everything" arrogance right back to where it belongs.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't wait for Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck to blame this on Obama....seeing as Obama is a commie pinko......

Maybe this will detract from the anti-Obama horseshit for a while....but I doubt it.

Somehow Obama will be blamed for the new Rise of the Commies......

Run for your lives!
    What this will do is guarantee another few hundred billion in increased defense spending.....

We can always afford more jets.....

Just not health care
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yepper......And of course they'll all blame Obama for the Russian resurgence.

After all, Obama is conspiring with the Russians to ressurrect Soviet Communism........

My day was well spent...I pissed off Elvis. :tongue0011:

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yepper......And of course they'll all blame Obama for the Russian resurgence.

After all, Obama is conspiring with the Russians to ressurrect Soviet Communism........

My day was well spent...I pissed off Elvis. :tongue0011:
    Not hard to piss off ELVIS.

Just post the truth.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm waiting for Cheney to accuse Obama of treason...for failing to protect the American people from the Russian menace.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We're back in the 1950's?

Great Scott!
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cheney will try and convince you it is.....

After all, he needs to pump up the volume so as to get Haliburton some more big contracts based on lies, illegal invasions of soveregin nations...and whatever else he can conjure up.

So why not the Rise of The Evil Empire? Those evil Russians.....

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post
    What this will do is guarantee another few hundred billion in increased defense spending.....

We can always afford more jets.....

Just not health care
    Not to come off as a neocon, but in the constitution, Wasn't that one of the orignal intents of our Gov't collecting our tax dollars in order to fund our National Defense?

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Don't get me wrong, things need to be done about Healthcare, be we in theory should always have a strong Nat'l Defense regardless of what we spend tax dollars on.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cheney will try and convince you it is.....

After all, he needs to pump up the volume so as to get Haliburton some more big contracts based on lies, illegal invasions of soveregin nations...and whatever else he can conjure up.

So why not the Rise of The Evil Empire? Those evil Russians.....
    Uh, In case you havn't heard, he's not been involved in politics for about 2 years.

He's been mainly a pundit in the style of O'Reilly/Beck.

and why shouldn't we feel uneasy about the Russians? These are the same group of people who killed a guy with radioactive sushi.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchainme View Post
    Not to come off as a neocon, but in the constitution, Wasn't that one of the orignal intents of our Gov't collecting our tax dollars in order to fund our National Defense?

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't get me wrong, things need to be done about Healthcare, be we in theory should always have a strong Nat'l Defense regardless of what we spend tax dollars on.

And The Declaration of Independence calls for Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness

How can one guarantee life, if we can't even make healthcare a priority?

Besides, where did I say it was an "either or" question????

My point is if we can spend trillions on defense, we can find a way to force the Insurance Lobby to stop RAPING us in the name of Capitalism

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Uh, In case you havn't heard, he's not been involved in politics for about 2 years.

1 year.

and wtf does that have to do with anything?

He's still got the ear of the right wing media

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And The Declaration of Independence calls for Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness

How can one guarantee life, if we can't even make healthcare a priority?

Besides, where did I say it was an "either or" question????

My point is if we can spend trillions on defense, we can find a way to force the Insurance Lobby to stop RAPING us in the name of Capitalism

I'm not arguing against having Health Care Reform, simply saying that I personally hold having a strong national defense over it.

I've said it before, why not just have medicare expanded to those that really need it and allow the Insurance Co.'s to compete with each other accross state lines? Seems easy enough to me. And make sure they are laws that protect the consumer against said companies on the book, along with laws to ensure people don't just go sue crazy because they "slipped on pee-pee at the costco."

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    1 year.

and wtf does that have to do with anything?

He's still got the ear of the right wing media
    Cheney is sort of a non-issue. He can say whatever he wants out of the White House now and Republicans can chose to agree/disagree with it, but I don't think they're going to do thing solely on his word, that would be quite idiotic of them.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

He's been mainly a pundit in the style of O'Reilly/Beck.

and why shouldn't we feel uneasy about the Russians? These are the same group of people who killed a guy with radioactive sushi.
    Uh...in case you haven't heard...Cheney's hasn't SHUT THE FUCK UP for the past year about Obama and blaming him for every fucking thing...real or imagined...that arises. Including the shit CHENEY CAUSED with his puppet Bush in tow.

Like attempted terra-ist attacks that were a farce to begin with.....and every other fucking thing imaginable.

And he doesn't need to be in politics to influence the government...because his fuckhead fellow rupukes and dolts like you actually listen to and believe his utter fucking horseshit.....

And as for your comment about killing a guy with "radio active sushi"...fuck me, but we need to be more worried about people like you than anything else...real or imagined.

So "they" means ALL RUSSIANS? So I guess "they" can mean ALL BLACK PEOPLE too, for instance...huh?

And aren't "they" also the people who illegally invaded how many countries over the years for monetary gain? Such as...Iraq for instance? And committed crimes against humanity and treason in doing so?

Therefore, that "they" includes you.....So shall you hang yourself now for treason and war crimes? Or shall we wait for The Hague?

What an ignorant brainless fucking cunt.......truly amazing.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cheney is sort of a non-issue. He can say whatever he wants out of the White House now and Republicans can chose to agree/disagree with it, but I don't think they're going to do thing solely on his word, that would be quite idiotic of them.
    "That would be quite idiotic of them"? Jesus Christ don't even get me started...

Well, maybe a little.....That same "they" who wouldn't be so idiotic are the same dumb fucking cunts who elected Bush and Darth TWICE...and even after that stroke of brilliance tout Sarah Palin like she's credible.

And that is the same "they" as you......Don't refer to them as "they" and try and distance yourself....You're one of "they"......part of the epic problem.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What an ignorant brainless fucking cunt.......truly amazing.
    Class act, calling some one a moron because they happen to not hold your fucked up Canuck view of the world.

And you know right what I MEAN'T about Russians. The Russian people I have no ill-will towards, good folks, met a couple immigrant who went to my HS back in the day. I mean't the KGB/Millitary type level of people.

Eat a gun.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I get it now...so it's the Russian leadership who are "they"....."They're" the evil ones, and they are a concern.

Are they as concerning as let's say....The US Government who has invaded Iraq illegally...and Panama.....and Vietnam...and...and....and....Oh...let's not forget the unnecessary use of atomic bombs on Japanese men, women and children.....

And caused millions of deaths of innocent people....

But it's the Russian leaders who are evil, right? Cuz that's what Ronnie and Dickie and all they're fucked-up evil predecssors brainwashed you with right?

So as long as the USA does WHATEVER THE FUCK IT WANTS against the protests of the civilzed World...that's okay?

Now I get it....

And it's not the "Canuck" view of the USA...it's the entire fucking World's view of the USA.....

Punk.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I get it now...so it's the Russian leadership who are "they"....."They're" the evil ones, and they are a concern.

Are they as concerning as let's say....The US Government who has invaded Iraq illegally...and Panama.....and Vietnam...and...and....and....Oh...let's not forget the unnecessary use of atomic bombs on Japanese men, women and children.....
    Soviet war in Afghanistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Didn't Stalin also kill like 20 million?

And You guys are just as much to blame in the WWII example as you were our allies. .

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ummm...."us guys" joined the Brits in declaring war on Germany as a result of the illegal invasion by the Third Reich shitheads......And "you guys" didn't join in until much later.

I guess not enough money to be made at first......

Regardless...your "rebuttal" is completely pointless and off topic....not that I'm surprised.

You conveniently ignore that which you can't or won't answer...not that I'm surprised.

Game...set...match......try to stay in your weight class next time..and maybe you won't get trounced.

But it's nice you acknowledges "us guys" in WWII...Now how about acknowledging "us guys" fighting wiht "you guys" in Afghanistan...where "us guys" have had more casualties per capita than "you guys"...and yet "us guys" are never mentioned by "you guys" politicians and news media for "us guys" contribution and sacrifice to help "you guys" out of loyal alliedship......

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm not arguing against having Health Care Reform, simply saying that I personally hold having a strong national defense over it.

"
    Against whom, exactly?

Al Quitya?

The Russkies?

The Boogeyman?

The Military Industrial Complex is something you need to bone up on, son.

Fear = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Think you'd care about another trillion dollar defense program if you're dying of something that could be treated for $10K?

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

And caused millions of deaths of innocent people....

But it's the Russian leaders who are evil, right? Cuz that's what Ronnie and Dickie and all they're fucked-up evil predecssors brainwashed you with right?

So as long as the USA does WHATEVER THE FUCK IT WANTS against the protests of the civilzed World...that's okay?

Now I get it....

And it's not the "Canuck" view of the USA...it's the entire fucking World's view of the USA.....

Punk.
    What the hell did I have to do with 90% of what was on the aforementioned list btw? I wasn't even born for another 20 years for most of it.

Way to pin shit that I had nothing do with on me. I also wasn't even of voting age for the other 10% So don't just try and say I'm another one of the "Busheep", as I myself didn't even vote McCain/Palin and am a registered Democrat (who voted libetarian). .

And if the Russians are supposedly so much better than the American Gov't, why are the Canadians usually in our corner and one of our closest allies?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wwhy are the Canadians usually in our corner and one of our closest allies?
    They're scared we'll nuke them for giving us Celine Dion and Ann Murray......

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Against whom, exactly?

Al Quitya?

The Russkies?

The Boogeyman?
    or Aliens?

Point well taken Lounge. I think cuts should be made all around the Gov't frankly. I'm just aruging that we should consistantly have a decent millitary in-tact at all times.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dude...you're misisng my point and I'm wasting my breath...

The POINT IS....your characterizations of the "evil Russian leaders" is exponentially more applicable to the "evil American leaders".

Get it?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    or Aliens?

Point well taken Lounge. I think cuts should be made all around the Gov't frankly. I'm just aruging that we should consistantly have a decent millitary in-tact at all times.
    Point is we have a "decent enough" military for 2/3 of the world.

We need to stop using our military to invading and occupying strategic oil and gas reserves for Big Business Interests who own Congress.

Why is most of our National Guard currently guarding other countries?

Wake up, Grasshopper.

YOUR generation needs to fucking bitchslap the current one before it's too late and the USA become a wholly owned subsidiary of China/Halliburton, Inc.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The POINT IS....your characterizations of the "evil Russian leaders" is exponentially more applicable to the "evil American leaders".

?
    Sad but true.

And history shows us ALL empires crumble.....

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They're scared we'll nuke them for giving us Celine Dion and Ann Murray......

YouTube - Canadian Beer

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Point is we have a "decent enough" military for 2/3 of the world.

We need to stop using our military to invading and occupying strategic oil and gas reserves for Big Business Interests who own Congress.

Why is most of our National Guard currently guarding other countries?

Wake up, Grasshopper.

YOUR generation needs to fucking bitchslap the current one before it's too late and the USA become a wholly owned subsidiary of China/Halliburton, Inc.
    Not disagreeing with you AT ALL with this. I'm pissed that the Chinese are this heavily involved in owning some of the debt., same with the Wars.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There is no "Canadian Beer"

Don't listen to that propaganda

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not disagreeing with you AT ALL with this. I'm pissed that the Chinese are this heavily involved in owning some of the debt., same with the Wars.

Do you avoid buying anything made in China....100 percent...even if it means going without?

If not, you're part of the problem.

And yes...I do avoid it 100 percent.....

And btw....those are "real" commies...not the Russians.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Do you avoid buying anything made in China....100 percent...even if it means going without?

If not, you're part of the problem.

And yes...I do avoid it 100 percent.....

And btw....those are "real" commies...not the Russians.
    I didn't say the Ruskies were commies (though there's been rumblings that they could be moving towards that direction.), and hell, even the Chinese are like some weird ass hybred at this point.

And how does one avoid that when some essientials are made in that country (unfortunately). I buy American when possible, but it's growing more and more difficult do as such when the jobs are getting shipped over seas.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You can avoid it by shopping around and ordering from Europe for example....Yeah it costs more. So what? Quality is better and you're not poisoning the land or yourself...or giving the "Yellow Menace" more power.

You're pissed off about the Chinese owning half the USA...but you're contributing to the problem.

Why is it that right-wing nut jobs like th tea partiers can organize and rally and fight tooth and nail against Obama....yet the same effort can't go into consumers boycotting products made in China?

If 200 million Americans and Canadians REFUSE to buy anything made in China...you bet you're ass things will change.

Every clothing store I enter...I politely tell the sales clerk and the manager that no offense to them personally...but I will not buy ANYTHING made in China.(You know when they jump on you as soon as you enter the store...."May I help you" like the grocer in the Yankee Rose video)

If we all did this.....

And fuck Walmart while I'm at it.....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not to sound like "karma points", but whatcha say this gets debated without the personal attacks....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    punk and moron are pretty benign 'round these part, VA

No different than sitting in a bar with your buds and saying listen assmunch, Mike Holmgren was a failure, and we shouldnt bring him back, you dumbass

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

If 200 million Americans and Canadians REFUSE to buy anything made in China...you bet you're ass things will change.
    Yeah, they'd dump all that US debt and we be even MORE fucked....

Catch-22 at its worst....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Not to sound like "karma points", but whatcha say this gets debated without the personal attacks....
    What fun would that be? This is the DLR Army......

We're all grown ups...we can take it.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, they'd dump all that US debt and we be even MORE fucked....

Catch-22 at its worst....
    Good point.....but not necessarily so....the US would end up with more exports and more GDP......and more cash to pay down the debt.

If we all give the Chinese a collective FUCK YOU.....then they wouldn't have the power they have now......

Except toomany consumers look for the cheapest price and don't give a fuck about where it's made or who's abused while it's being made.

North Americans are a pathetic fucking bunch, really...You don't see this shit in Europe.....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What fun would that be? This is the DLR Army......

We're all grown ups...we can take it.
    Some people get turned off by all the personal shit... Eventually, some of those people leave, and we don't want that...

Argue 'til the cows come home, but keep the personal stuff out of it, please...

Thread Information