Thread: 2010 winter olympics

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

2010 winter olympics

they better not have any fake firework footprints during the opening ceremonies tonite!!!
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    they better not have any fake firework footprints during the opening ceremonies tonite!!!
    Look for America, Sweden, Norway, and Russia to take the lion's share of the gold and the Canadians to whine for the next four years about it.

Don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to the limeys winning the bronze in curling. Why they almost took gold in badminton!

Sure to kick your insomnia.
    Last edited by Kristy; 02-12-2010 at 04:31 PM.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i like the clip of the announcer from the last curling competition, and he's screamin' happy about some points scored during the finals.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh yeah, and how exciting they make curling to be.

Announcer: "Amazing how the iron gracefully makes it long arc along the cold, unforgiving ice. The friction to keep it moving make be painstaking as it search for its mark towards the destination."

WTF?

Am I watching a sport or having a high school kid's essay being read back to me?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Unhappy

How awful. ESPN just broke in with the news.

Olympic luger from Georgia dies after crash

25 minutes ago

By STEPHEN WILSON AP Sports Writer

VANCOUVER, British Columbia(AP)—A men’s Olympic luger from the country of Georgia died Friday after a high-speed crash on a track that is the world’s fastest and has raised safety concerns among competitors. IOC president Jacques Rogge said the death hours before the opening ceremony “clearly casts a shadow over these games.”

Nodar Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled during training, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center. Doctors were unable to revive the 21-year-old luger, who died at a hospital, the International Olympic Committee said.

“We are deeply struck by this tragedy and join the IOC in extending our condolences to the family, friends and teammates of this athlete, who came to Vancouver to follow his Olympic dream,” said John Furlong, chief executive of the Vancouver organizing committee.

Rescue workers were at Kumaritashvili’s side within seconds. Chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation started less than one minute after the crash, and he was quickly airlifted to a trauma center in Whistler.

Kumaritashvili struck the inside wall of the track on the final turn. His body immediately went airborne and cleared the ice-coated concrete wall along the left side of the sliding surface. His sled remained in the track, and it appeared his helmet visor skidded down the ice.

Men’s luge competition is to begin Saturday. It’s unclear if the schedule will change.

Kumaritashvili is the fourth competitor to die at the Winter Games and the first since 1992.

“It’s a very rare situation,” three-time Olympic champion and German coach Georg Hackl said before learning of the death, clearly shaken after seeing Kumaritashvili tended to furiously by medical workers.

Shortly before the accident, Hackl said he didn’t believe the track was unsafe.

“People have the opinion it is dangerous but the track crew does the best it can and they are working hard to make sure the track is in good shape and everyone is safe,” he said. “My opinion is that it’s not anymore dangerous that anywhere else.”

It was Kumaritashvili’s second crash during training for the Vancouver Games. He also failed to finish his second of six practice runs, and in the runs he did finish, his average speed was about 88 mph - significantly less than the speed the top sliders are managing on this lightning-fast course.

It was unclear how fast Kumaritashvili was going, although many sliders have exceeded 90 mph on this course. The track is considered the world’s fastest and several Olympians recently questioned its safety. More than a dozen athletes have crashed during Olympic training for luge, and some questioned whether athletes from smaller nations - like Georgia - had enough time to prepare for the daunting track.

At the finish area, not far from where Kumaritashvili lost control, athletes, coaches and officials solemnly awaited word on Kumaritashvili before eventually being ushered away. Access to the crash area was closed within about 30 minutes.

“I’ve never seen anything like that,” said Shiva Keshavan, a four-time Olympian from India.

The remainder of men’s training was canceled for the day, with VANOC officials saying in a release that an investigation was taking place to “ensure a safe field of play.”

Kumaritashvili competed in five World Cup races this season, finishing 44th in the world standings.

Earlier in the day, gold-medal favorite Armin Zoeggeler of Italy crashed, losing control of his sled on Curve 11. Zoeggeler came off his sled and held it with his left arm to keep it from smashing atop his body. He slid on his back down several curves before coming to a stop and walking away.

Training days in Whistler have been crash-filled. A Romanian woman was briefly knocked unconscious and at least four Americans - Chris Mazdzer on Wednesday, Megan Sweeney on Thursday and both Tony Benshoof and Bengt Walden on Friday in the same training session where Zoeggeler wrecked - have had serious trouble just getting down the track.

“I think they are pushing it a little too much,” Australia’s Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday night after she nearly lost control in training. “To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we’re crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives.”

At the 1992 Albertville Games, Nicholas Bochatay of Switzerland died after crashing into a snow grooming machine during training for the demonstration sport of speed skiing on the next-to-last day of the games. He was practicing on a public slope before his event was to begin.

Austrian downhill skier Ross Milne died when he struck a tree during a training run shortly before the 1964 Winter Games in Innsbruck, Austria. British luger Kazimierz Kay-Skrzypecki also died in a crash during training in Innsbruck.

At the 1988 Calgary Games, an Austrian team doctor, Jorg Oberhammer, died after being hit by a snow grooming machine.

Olympic luger from Georgia dies after crash - 2010 Olympics - Yahoo! Sports

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I saw the video before they yanked it off of Youtube... It was horrible....

I'm really looking forward to the hockey tournament... Canada, Russia, US, and Sweden should battle it out....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I saw it as well, it was simply horrible. ESPN has reported it is believed Kumaritashvili was doing upwards of 90 mph when he left the sled. He was just coming out of a banked curve, which only would have increased his speed at that point.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post

Follow this link, video of the crash is on the front page. Dude was going so fast it's incredible. I get scared just watching these guys. Poor kid. Prayers to his family & friends...and to all the other athletes pushing the envelope.

KFI AM 640 More Stimulating Talk Radio
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, more than a few have complained about the track, which is billed as the fastest in the world. Australia’s Hannah Campbell-Pegg nearly lost control in training Thursday, and had this to say: “To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we’re crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives.”

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That little helmet don't do you a goddamn bit of good when you're thrown into a steel beam at 90 MPH.

Maybe they should find a way to strap the guys into those damn luges?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    That little helmet don't do you a goddamn bit of good when you're thrown into a steel beam at 90 MPH.

Maybe they should find a way to put thick padding around those steel beams.

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Look for America, Sweden, Norway, and Russia to take the lion's share of the gold and the Canadians to whine for the next four years about it.

Don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to the limeys winning the bronze in curling. Why they almost took gold in badminton!

Sure to kick your insomnia.
    I'm wondering if you have to have janitorial experience in order to be an expert curler?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Little Texan View Post
    Maybe they should find a way to put thick padding around those steel beams.
    Hows about not continue further? One of your competitors dies, not even during competition. What...this should go forward, in the spirit of the deceased?

Yeah...OK, it's now your turn in the chute, friend. See if you can honor his memory...

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Curling is not as prominent in America as it should be.

A sport is truly great if you can drink a beer while doing it.

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    It's still here:

Graphic Video: Olympic Luger Thrown From Sled, Dies - CBS News Video

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Loved the opening ceremonies, but it was missing on thing...

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't wait to see the USA dominate in Snowboarding as always.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They're raising the wall where he crashed....

Opening ceremonies, meh.... Kinda disappointed they didn't have Le Magnifique (Lemieux) in there for something....

A lot of over-reaction to the malfunctioning fourth column.... For as much pretty amazing effects for three hours, to only have one malfunction (albeit at the worst time) isn't so bad.....

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BITEYOASS View Post
    I can't wait to see the USA dominate in Snowboarding as always.
    Shawn White is a lock...

Horrible accident for the guy from Georgia..damn..90 mph into a steel pole..I assume he died instantly..didnt look like he moved at all after.
    Watching the ski jumping now..just had a small bit on " Eddie the Eagle"..
    I remember him fairly well.Winter Olympics Memorable Moments: Eddie "the Eagle" Edwards — Infoplease.com

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Geddy carrying the flag would have been bad ass

or the band could have just jammed a bit

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The opening ceremonies were excellent, and they picked all the right people. Totally captured Canada and Canadian culture. Absolutely LOVED the poem by the guy from the NWT, and KD Lang's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" was outstanding.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Hows about not continue further? One of your competitors dies, not even during competition. What...this should go forward, in the spirit of the deceased?

Yeah...OK, it's now your turn in the chute, friend. See if you can honor his memory...
    I'm assuming you're not an athlete, are you? Damn rights you honour their memory but getting out there, you would dishonour them by NOT.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    I'm assuming you're not an athlete, are you? Damn rights you honour their memory but getting out there, you would dishonour them by NOT.
    I played ball in high school, and was on the swim team as well. I understand what fair competition means, as well as honoring fallen comrades. The fact is, the way the track is set up is not fair, as it is unsafe. There have been dozens of incidents in practice, and the competitors themselves have stated their own reservations about it's practicality.

The very definition of insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result. Which is precisely what this is.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The crash was on a huge projection screen last night when I was at a sports bar the dude was 15 ft across and high def and it was knarley to say the least.

There is no amount of padding that would have helped it would have had to have been 20 ft thick .

The track should be covered with or at least banked with tall safety nets nylon or some thing..? Like cargo nets..?

Imagine riding a motorcycle at 80 mph and then cross body blocking a tree.

RIP the the dude .

It is sad that safetly usually comes from a accident.

P.S. I love Curling what a great drinking time game..perhaps I will build a curling set up next winter..lol

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    KD Lang's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" was outstanding.
    She's taken a lot of unfair of criticism over the years simply for being gay, but I've always thought she has a great voice....

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBrian View Post
    Curling is not as prominent in America as it should be.

A sport is truly great if you can drink a beer while doing it.
    It is a great sport.

Truth be known...the 2 to 2 1/2 hours on the ice is just a series of stretches and warm ups for the pub after the game.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The opening ceremonies were excellent, and they picked all the right people. Totally captured Canada and Canadian culture. Absolutely LOVED the poem by the guy from the NWT, and KD Lang's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" was outstanding.
    The prairies bit I thought was...quite off...

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

A Glaring Omission IMO...

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBrian View Post
    Fuckin tragic...

Why aren't parts of the track simply fenced over or plexi tubed?
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WACF View Post
    The prairies bit I thought was...quite off...
    Just bizarre. It scared me actually that that is what someone came up with. Anyone who knows someone from the Praries must have been in shock after seeing that
    Roth Army Canada

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFlamma View Post
    Just bizarre. It scared me actually that that is what someone came up with. Anyone who knows someone from the Praries must have been in shock after seeing that
    Plus I doubt someone could run that fast without tripping on some wheat or slamming into a barn.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Let's get down to business here. The Olympics are about one thing this time. Mens fuckin Ice Hockey.

So who is going to get the gold in this all star tourney.

I will probably play out with Canada v Russia in the Final. Lets hope the young guys on Team USA can get a run going. You never know, a hot goalie can take you all the way in a short tournament. Maybe Ryan Miller gets hot.

BUT the Offence on both Canada & Russia. How do you stop those guys?

++++

VA Beach,

Who do think leads this tourny in scoring? Crosby or Ovechkin?

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WACF View Post
    A Glaring Omission IMO...
    Shocked they wern't there, isn't that part of like a Canuck trinity along with Ice Hockey (Florida should have less teams, you guys should have more. ) and Beer?

I mean you had..KD Lang there..and not Rush....I would hope they would be at the Closing Ceremony and playing at the bare mininum three songs.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Unchainme View Post
    I mean you had..KD Lang there..and not Rush....I would hope they would be at the Closing Ceremony and playing at the bare mininum three songs.
    Stranger things have happened. I mean, what the hell was Jimmy Page doing at the Beijing Olympics? For one thing, with his various drug busts, how did he even get into the country in the first place?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anyone noticing the NBC trickery of pimping every two-bit shit Pixar/Scorsese upcoming release as a hope of making back some the revenue loss from showing a sport that most have little interest in? Now myself, I'm a sucker for figure skating (pairs or singles) and possibly the snowboarding half-pipe but NBC is doing their best to make these Olympics to be as boring as ever. Bob Costas's overbearing "I know EVERYTHING about EVERY Olympic sport more than you do" attitude, Dan Kirkpatrick's vanity when the camera is on him, that NFL douche trying to explain the biathlon as if he just looked up the country of Norway on Wiki two seconds ago. As for Al Micheals, the dude looked dead-bored, apathetic and disinterested except for the free vacation that NBC is paying for yet he is the only one worth watching.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    Let's get down to business here. The Olympics are about one thing this time. Mens fuckin Ice Hockey.

So who is going to get the gold in this all star tourney.

I will probably play out with Canada v Russia in the Final. Lets hope the young guys on Team USA can get a run going. You never know, a hot goalie can take you all the way in a short tournament. Maybe Ryan Miller gets hot.

BUT the Offence on both Canada & Russia. How do you stop those guys?

++++

VA Beach,

Who do think leads this tourny in scoring? Crosby or Ovechkin?
    I just got a glance at the lines for Russia, Canada and USA, and they're all disgusting....

Russia:

Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Semin
    Kovalchuk - Malkin - Afinogenov
    Kozlov - Fedorov - Radulov
    Zaripov - Zinoviev - Morozov

Canada

Bergeron-Crosby-Nash
    Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
    Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
    Towes-Richards-Iginla

USA (only saw top 3 lines)

Parise-Stastny-Kane
    Malone-Kessel-Pavelski
    Langenbrunner-Kesler-Brown

In terms of a high scorer, christ flip a damn coin....

I just can't wait to watch this !!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Anyone noticing the NBC trickery of pimping every two-bit shit Pixar/Scorsese upcoming release as a hope of making back some the revenue loss from showing a sport that most have little interest in? Now myself, I'm a sucker for figure skating (pairs or singles) and possibly the snowboarding half-pipe but NBC is doing their best to make these Olympics to be as boring as ever. Bob Costas's overbearing "I know EVERYTHING about EVERY Olympic sport more than you do" attitude, Dan Kirkpatrick's vanity when the camera is on him, that NFL douche trying to explain the biathlon as if he just looked up the country of Norway on Wiki two seconds ago. As for Al Micheals, the dude looked dead-bored, apathetic and disinterested except for the free vacation that NBC is paying for yet he is the only one worth watching.
    They need Don Cherry to pop out and liven up the place! He'd be yelling over the NBC empty-suit broadcasters during the hockey matches.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    An 75 year old Don Cherry has more personality in him than all olympic commentators COMBINED!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3FwRoBoYuM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3FwRoBoYuM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just found out Luongo is starting in net for Game 1, not Brodeur....

Thread Information