Thread: Today (2/19/10) marks the 30th anniversary of Bon Scott's passing

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Unhappy Today (2/19/10) marks the 30th anniversary of Bon Scott's passing

Damn... do I feel old...
    Yet at 41 years old, there's only one poster that I still keep hanging in my house... one of the late, great and never straight Mr. Scott.
    Since I can't add to this tribute thread with youtube clips, I'll post some recent reflections by Angus and Mal.

30 years ago - on February 19, 1980 - we lost one of hard rock's most distinct and charismatic frontmen. AC/DC singer Bon Scott (born Ronald Belford Scott on July 9, 1946) died in the wee hours of the night in the back seat of a friend's car following a typical night of heavy drinking in London, England. His death comes just months after the band scores its first big North American success with the album, Highway To Hell. He was 33 years old, but his memory and musical prowess rides on. AC/DC founders/guitarists/brothers Angus and Malcolm Young tell BraveWords.com the tale of a 'rocker' and a dearly missed older brother.

Bon's influence today...

Angus: "I think it's just something that is part of you. It's like you lost someone close to you, in your family or a very close friend. You've always got that feeling they're there but you just, I suppose, miss them in the physical sense. There's always memories that keep coming back to you, and it doesn't matter what the situation is. You could be traveling, you could be relaxing somewhere, or going to play or being in the studio, there's always something that reminds you."

After Bon's death...

Malcolm: "Should you carry on with the name? All sorts of thoughts went through our minds. We were just sittin' around not doing anything because of respect too, you know, and not knowing and not caring. We just got a hold of each other one day and just said 'Look, we've come up with lots of music before Bon died, so why don't we just get together and sit down and at least... at least we can do something, we can play guitar.' So we did that and a lot of good music came from that period because something kicked in there. We didn't have to do it, but inside there was stuff coming out that probably wouldn't have ever appeared. It made us grow up really quick I think."

Angus. "Even Bon himself, just before he died, he'd come down with me and Mal, he got behind the kit and Mal said to him 'Ah Bon!, get on the drums, we need a drummer', and that's what he loved. Bon wanted to be the drummer in the band. It was kind of funny, the first time we ever sat down, here's this guy saying, 'I'm your new drummer.' Mal convinced him to sing, to get up to the front of the stage. Then he was there at the end again. The last you saw him, there he was behind the kit. He played the intro to one of the tracks. It turned out it wasn't one of the greatest songs but the intro was great - 'Let Me Put My Love Into You' - just the intro of it before it goes into Mutt Lang territory. It was fuckin' good before then (laughs)!"

The GEORDIE-man...

Angus: "I remember the first time I had ever heard Brian's (Johnson) name was from Bon. Bon had mentioned that he had been in England once touring with a band and he had mentioned that Brian had been in a band called Geordie and Bon had said 'Brian Johnson, he was a great rock and roll singer in the style of LITTLE RICHARD.' And that was Bon's big idol, Little Richard. I think when he saw Brian at that time, to Bon it was 'Well he's a guy that knows what rock and roll is all about.' He mentioned that to us in Australia. I suppose when we decided to continue, Brian was the first name that Malcolm and myself came up with, so we said we should see if we can find him."

Bon and Brian...

Angus: "Well, as a band the musical side of AC/DC is how I always relate for myself. I never really compare them because they're both unique characters. Brian, at the time, had big shoes to fill. He's certainly done that and more so they've both got their own unique characters but they both have similarities which in AC/DC we all share. All of our backgrounds are pretty much the same, we all come from working class families, we all have the wit that seems to sustain us when things are a bit tough."

Back In Black...

Angus: "We had a lot of ideas even from touring on Highway To Hell that we felt we should finish off what we had been working on. You never know, we could have said 'This is it.' We may have stopped, but we still felt that we should have finished off, hence even the cover of Back In Black. You can see it, we made it in black for the colour, called it Back In Black, and even put the bell on the front. Obviously it was different after Bon death. I suppose to some people they would have probably viewed you as a whole new act, and in one way it was like starting again because you don't know what's coming, you don't know how it's going to be received. You think, 'Is this ethical?' This was our tribute to Bon."

Working with producer John 'Mutt' Lange on Highway To Hell...

Angus: "Well with Mutt it was the first time he had ever worked with us, and I don't even think at that point that he had even had a big album, a big success. I think he'd had a few single successes in this part of the world but he hadn't had a major album and for us it was our first time really working with someone else as a producer. But we felt it was a good combination because we had wanted to try a few different things. Up until that point we had made a lot more in your face rock and roll and we wanted to try a couple of medium style rock tracks."

Americanization...

Angus: "Well you stuck to your guns. There was a bit of a worry, especially the title, Highway To Hell. They were a bit worried, especially from the American south as to whether it would be played. But we had said 'You know this is what we called it and this is what we like' and so we stuck to our guns. And it's funny enough, all those southern states were the first ones to play it!"

Highway To Hell being the peak of Bon's career...

Angus: "Yeah, I suppose for Bon it was probably. The guy was full of life, and then he had the tragedy. When I think back in hindsight, he was a guy that I always knew was full of life."

Early North American releases out of order...

Angus: "It was because we had played most of Europe, we had played most of Britain and a lot of other countries around that area. We came to America the first time in mid- '77, and at the time they had released our first album, High Voltage, and what they had done was taken our first two Australian releases (High Voltage - 1974 and TNT - 1975) and put them together. They had signed us in '76, so our record company felt if they put a combination of those two records together it would be a good introduction. That's how that came about. Then we released the album Dirty Deeds for the European side of the world. We had just finished recording Let There Be Rock so the North Americans said 'We want what's current, so we'll have Let There Be Rock.' It was a bit strange, but they felt that they wanted the current thing and they felt it would be great because they knew we were going to be touring in the summer for the first time so they wanted a good strong introduction. And for us it was a good thing too because we were very proud of the Let There Be Rock album, especially Malcolm and myself because for the first time we could really feature the guitars."

We miss you Bon!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We miss you indeed.

The brightest flames burn quickest.....
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Rock N Roll Outlaw
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    From 1976 to summer of 1979 I was a preteen KISS fan.

Then a friend's older brother let me hear VAN HALEN'S debut & AC/DC's Highwwy To Hell(on 8 track) and Black Sabbath's We Sold Our Souls.

I've been a fan of all 3 bands ever since.

I'll be watching Disc 1 of the AC/DC Family Jewels DVD set with a 6 pack tonight in Bon's honor.
    Last edited by kissfan1976; 02-19-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I kinda get real annoyed with Nikki Sixx, but I have to give credit where credit is due. One of the greatest quotes I ever read (and I wish I could find it so I could share it accurately) was made by Mr. Sixx. It was in one of those RIP magazines many years ago during one of those periods of Doors popularity that seem to swell up every once in a while. Anyway, the interviewer asked Sixx his opinion of Jim Morrison as a rock and roll poet and Sixx shit all over Morrison and claimed that all of his writings were nonsense and that Bon Scott was a true rock and roll poet... I don't think any truer words have been spoken by Mr. Sixx.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I first got turned onto AC/DC when I was in 'Listening Booth' (our local mall record store) and saw the cover of 'If You Want Blood' with Angus and the guitar jammed into his stomach. Being a KISS/Alice Cooper fan, I was drawn by the 'gore' of the cover... then 'Riff Raff' kicks in... what the fuck? Amazing, amazing stuff at the time. To quote Meatloaf "it was long ago and far away and so much better than it is today".

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bon was a true character. Great frontman.

The band was a bit different back in those days, and not just for the obvious differences of Bon and Brian...think the comments about Mutt Lange were interesting. Prior to Highway, one of the coolest things about the band was how even on record the energy levels were so high...the band was so amped on adrenaline that on many tracks like, say, Whole Lotta Rosie for example...it sounds like the whole band was gonna explode right out of the speakers with the sheer intensity of their attack.

Lange tempered that energy a bit. The band exhibited a bit more control and restraint. That has a use, too. As good as Highway and the immediate post-Bon albums are, the energy feels like it is being harnessed a little more for precision than raw passion. Now, Back In Black has one great track after another, and the band have a great ability to play that style of powerful mid-tempo rock (Phil Rudd, in my view, is a fucking genius precisely BECAUSE his playing is so simple yet relentless). However, it is a studied use of controlled power...none of it threatens to go off the rails.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Prior to Highway, one of the coolest things about the band was how even on record the energy levels were so high...the band was so amped on adrenaline that on many tracks...
    So true!
    I find it on the title track 'Let There Be Rock'. All the adrenaline, but then they kinda slow it down for a bit before they tear it up again. It's a literal sonic roller coaster ride.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is Bon Scott's epic ass-kicker! R.I.P.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kFGtuzknstM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kFGtuzknstM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great stuff Walker.

The quotes about Mutt Lange sure are interesting. Sounds like they have a bit of regret about going that direction. BUT I am sure it goes away when they look at their bank accounts.

Before I teach an Ice Hockey class we always play warm up music to get going. I never fail to get in "It's a long way to the top".

Also I remember over at DDLR.com we used to go round and round on what the best AC/DC album was. Think I remember Powerage coming out on top on most occasions.

++++

BTW Walker. Did you ever get the B&P for VH Oakland 81 in the mail yet? Best laugh at that site in a loooooong time.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post

BTW Walker. Did you ever get the B&P for VH Oakland 81 in the mail yet? Best laugh at that site in a loooooong time.
    Nope... still being hoarded... LOL!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just as it is with Van Halen, the true Ac/Dc will always be the first 6 albums. Unfortunately, we will never see a reunion tour from those guys, with or without Angus' kid playing bass.

The Brian Johnson version of the band is better than Van Hagar, of course. But every album since 1980 is pretty much the same. You can't say that about the records they made with Bon. Each one was different, and each one was great in its own way.

And there still isn't a DVD of "Let There Be Rock"?? (just like with The Knack at Carnegie Hall, this release is LONG overdue)
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Bon was a true character. Great frontman.

The band was a bit different back in those days, and not just for the obvious differences of Bon and Brian...think the comments about Mutt Lange were interesting. Prior to Highway, one of the coolest things about the band was how even on record the energy levels were so high...the band was so amped on adrenaline that on many tracks like, say, Whole Lotta Rosie for example...it sounds like the whole band was gonna explode right out of the speakers with the sheer intensity of their attack.

Lange tempered that energy a bit. The band exhibited a bit more control and restraint. That has a use, too. As good as Highway and the immediate post-Bon albums are, the energy feels like it is being harnessed a little more for precision than raw passion. Now, Back In Black has one great track after another, and the band have a great ability to play that style of powerful mid-tempo rock (Phil Rudd, in my view, is a fucking genius precisely BECAUSE his playing is so simple yet relentless). However, it is a studied use of controlled power...none of it threatens to go off the rails.
    Bang on!

For me, the production on 'Highway..' took the bollocks out of the songs....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    And there still isn't a DVD of "Let There Be Rock"?? (just like with The Knack at Carnegie Hall, this release is LONG overdue)
    Looks like it is coming real soon. Check out this link:

Accept, Aerosmith, AC/DC, TMS, more | Blog - Trunk Report | Eddie Trunk
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well thank God (or Satan?) for that!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    The brightest flames burn quickest.....

Truer words have rarely been spoken. Here's to Bon and all the other magical souls that we have lost much, much too soon.

Bill Cosby put it best in the movie "Jack". Explaining we are like all the stars in the night sky, and every once in a while we are lucky enough to see a shooting star. Brighter & faster than all the others. Yet as fast as we see them, they are gone leaving only their mark on our souls & memories.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    every album since 1980 is pretty much the same.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. If you own Back In Black, you pretty much have the Brian Johnson era covered. There is a gem here & there, but honestly they sound like they all could have been tracks that didn't make the cut for Back in Black. All written & recorded at once & released slowly over 25+ years.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Yeah, I pretty much agree. If you own Back In Black, you pretty much have the Brian Johnson era covered. There is a gem here & there, but honestly they sound like they all could have been tracks that didn't make the cut for Back in Black. All written & recorded at once & released slowly over 25+ years.
    I mean, Back In Black is a motherfucker of an album. Not too much of a leap from what the band were doing on Highway, or with Bon in general. It wasn't a really pronounced stylistic shift in the way that, say, Van Halen went about introducing the Hagar-era (the last video off of 1984 being Hot For Teacher vs. the first single off of 5150 being Why Can't This Be Love - 1984 is far from my favorite Van Halen album, but the contrast between those two tracks is staggering).

Back In Black is just...it sounds very (maybe over) rehearsed and the performances sound almost TOO tight...like, I give credit for Lange keeping the sonics simple, because an overblown production wouldn't sound right on an AC/DC record. Hard to argue with the massive amounts of sales BIB had, I suppose; one can hardly blame AC/DC for sticking to that template, although maybe it was just a case of the band liking to do what they did. Probably the closest they came to trying to out-and-out make BIB2 was on the next album, For Those About To Rock. That was Lange produced, too, wasn't it? Makes sense if it was (can't remember offhand). When Flick Of The Switch was released, that was when I first kinda ironically said to myself "well, these guys certainly are comfortable with their style!" In the 1980s, they still rocked live like nobody's business, even during the Fly On The Wall era.

These days, when I want a post-Bon DC tune to get pumped up to, I usually throw in Heatseeker and play the title track. It's got a bit of gallop and speed to it, more so than just about every track on BIB save for Shoot To Thrill. Plus, I haven't heard that tune 10 million times, unlike just about everything on BIB. Like, due to sheer overplay, the only time I can tolerate to hear You Shook Me (All Night Long) is if I'm in a tittie bar watching a stripper gyrate around a dance pole. Otherwise, if it comes on the radio I switch the station.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree with you on BIB. I find myself listening to Flick, Fly and Blow Up just because they were the more under the radar type records and you don't hear those tunes at all on radio. You may hear Sink the Pink or Heatseaker once in a while on satellite but that's about it. Flick of the Switch is one of their hardest albums and a song like Rising Power definitely deserves airplay, as does Danger and Send For The Man off of Fly On the Wall. In the end, truthfully, none of it measures up with the Bon era - not just the music but the hit they took in the loss of a live persona. No disrespect to Brian, but in live performance terms, the band went from a screaming jet to a biplane.
    Last edited by sonrisa salvaje; 02-19-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This should be the Bon Scott forums if we had any class !!! Bon really was the best !!! It's not even close !!! RIP Bon you are missed !!!

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Ronald Belford Scott

This is a day late but,

30 years ago we lost one of the greatest frontmen in rock.

AC/DC’s Bon – died three decades ago, in East Dulwich

R.I.P

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Threads merged.....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    bon scott is dearly missed.
    the world of rock and roll really needs him nowadays more than ever.
    there will never be another one like him.

rock in pieces, bonny!
    Quote Originally Posted by hideyoursheep View Post
    When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
    "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think that comparing AC/DC to van Halen is just stupid & retarded.

For one, Brian Johnson did a helluva good work replacing Bon Scott. Not many would be able to pull it off. In fact, he did much more than replace Bon Scott, but some people just won't let go.

Second, Brian didn't shit all ovr Bon's legacy, or ever disrespected the man, and he certainly didn't turn AC/DC into a shitty band that makes you ashamed to even pronounce their name in front of other people.

And third, IT'S NOT LIKE THEY HAD A FUCKING CHOICE!

Fuck it.

There will never be another Bon Scott. But he died. It wasn't anybody's fault, but he died.

Brian Johnson is alive. And he did a damn good job helping to keep AC/DC alive too. It's just not fair to constantly compare the two versions of AC/DC.

Again, let me make it very clear for you: IT'S NOT LIKE THEY HAD A FUCKING CHOICE!

This thread is a tribute to Bon Scott. One of the best frontmen ever. A legend.

Why THE FUCK must Brian's name be pulled into shit again & again?

GIVE IT THE FUCK UP!

Shit!

R. I. P., Bon... though you've been doing that for 30 years now.

Yeah, I wish he'd've released a couple more albums.

We all do.

It still wouldn't've been enough, though.

Cheers! :bottle:

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Spot on Sylicker.......
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bon Scott will always have a place in Rock&Roll History.
    It would be interesting to see if the band would be as popular today if he hadn't passed. Brian did a great job replacing Bon.
    I actually prefer the band after Back in Black.
    That album is the Shit!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Personally I would have loved to hear the BIB tracks that
    were always meant for Bon, sung by Bon.....
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    Any idea what tracks those are? I know Bon developed the drum intro for Let Me Put My Love..very curious as to what other songs were in the can before he passed.

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    I never knew those songs from B in B were already done?
    That's interesting and he would have put a different twist on the whole album. I still prefer Brain Johnson though.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Meanstreets View Post
    Any idea what tracks those are? I know Bon developed the drum intro for Let Me Put My Love..very curious as to what other songs were in the can before he passed.
    According to Angus Young himself (in the band's "Behind the Music" episode from a few years back) there were no tracks recorded with Bon. He had just finished writing lyrics and was actually due to start recording the very morning that he died.

Now that's not to say there couldn't be some demos or something. Or there's always the possibility that they cut some tracks for Highway to Hell that didn't make the album, and those might have become Back in Black songs, much like "If You Want Blood, You've Got It" was originally recorded for Powerage, but not released. Damn shame on that one too, because I actually like that version better (it did eventually surface in the Bonfire box set)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBCk8sdl3wk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBCk8sdl3wk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Of course any completed Bon tracks in the can would have probably surfaced in at least one of the box sets released in the last 30 years, so there probably isn't anything left to put out.

On the other hand, I keep saying that about Hendrix, the Doors, and the Grateful Dead, and they keep digging up tapes, so who knows?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There were no tracks recorded, but they had the riffs already floating around and
    Bon was in on all of that. In a very recent TV interview Angus commented on this, and
    how great a job Brian did to come in and basically finish it all off....

I bet the working title was not "Back in Black" but apparently several songs
    that ended up on BIB were definately in progress whilst Bon was still alive.
    (Imagine if someone had a walkman recording with early incarnations
    of some of those tracks)

Angus said he thought that was neat, and that the whole thing ended up
    a suitable tribute to Bon, and where they were.

I think another quote from Angus was they had unfinished business
    when Bon suddenly passed.. I believe from the hints Angus drops now
    and then that several BIB tracks were already born, before Brian.
    Recorded or not.
    Last edited by Panamark; 02-26-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Thread Information