TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Rolling Stones unearth 10 new tracks for reissue

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The Rolling Stones, who have long resisted releasing archival material, will include 10 previously unheard songs in an upcoming reissue of "Exile on Main Street," the group's representatives said on Thursday.

The original 1972 release, a sprawling two-disc set regarded by many observers as one of their greatest works, features such notable tracks as "Tumbling Dice" and "Happy."

It was recorded in the grim basement of a French villa once used by the Gestapo. Guitarist Keith Richards was consumed at the time by a heroin addiction and singer Mick Jagger was distracted by his new wife, Bianca.

The reissue, due out in the United States on May 18 and a day earlier internationally through Vivendi's Universal Music Group, will be supplemented by new tracks with such titles as "Plundered My Soul," "Dancing in the Light," "Following the River" and "Pass The Wine."

While the Stones have been widely bootlegged, the four disclosed titles appeared to be unknown to collectors. Alternate versions of the album tracks "Soul Survivor" and "Loving Cup" will also be included. A publicist said she did not have information on the other titles.

Jagger told Rolling Stone magazine that he and Richards overdubbed percussion and guitar, respectively, on some of the bonus tracks.

They oversaw the project with producer Don Was, who has worked with the band for 15 years. The singer also wrote fresh lyrics for "Following the River."
    Jagger has been reluctant to open the band's vaults because he views the veteran British band that dates back to 1962 as a contemporary rather than a nostalgia act.

Peers such as Bob Dylan and David Bowie, as well as thriving younger acts like U2, have been less resistant to the idea of dusting off outtakes and other rarities.
    The reissue will also be complemented by a made-for-TV documentary, "Stones in Exile," which features rare archival film footage and photos as well as fresh interviews.

The album will be available in three configurations: the original 18-track release; an edition with the bonus tracks; and a package that also includes a vinyl version, a different 30-minute documentary DVD and a book.

Link
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I need another copy of Exile...might get this to rebuild my Stones collection.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

I suspect these 10 "new tracks" will likely be given the Tattoo You treatment. The admission that Jagger wrote complete lyrics for one of them, pretty much confirms that. They did that convincingly enough on Tattoo You, but even the oldest song on that album had only been around a decade at that time. We're talking 38 years here. Is Mick gonna be able to pull off a convincing 1972 voice on these tracks?

Ah, fuck who am I kidding? It's the Stones. I'll buy it the minute it's released anyway.

As for the "four disclosed titles being unknown to collectors", that's not entirely true either......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WNn38Q4Xlaw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WNn38Q4Xlaw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (02-25-2010)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sounds as though the "unreleased" tracks will be strictly from the Exile sessions themselves, which is kind of a let down. I would have included some earlier recordings of tracks that eventually ended up on Exile, such as the 1969 recordings of "Shine A Light" and "Loving Cup" or "Good Time Women", recorded but not released in 1970 (which evolved into "Tumblin Dice")

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x6Fx1vytXWc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x6Fx1vytXWc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

I'm still interested in hearing "Soul Survivor", which is apparently a spare track with only a Keith guide vocal.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    The Rolling Stones consider themselves a contemporary rather than a nostalgia act?

O...kay...

Dunno about snagging this new Exile release. Think I'll wait to hear reports via this website about the bonus dvd included and how that looks, as I'm not terribly interested in alternate tracks (and certainly not unreleased tracks that have been given said "Tattoo You" treatment).

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm hoping the DVD is a "legitimate, remastered Dolby 5.1 yada yada yada" version of "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones". which was filmed on the 72 tour. It's long overdue.

U2 finally put out their legendary Red Rocks performance from 1983 on DVD, and packaged it with the remaster of the 'Under A Blood Red Sky" EP. Hopefully the Stones will take the hint from their fellow veteran rockers/stadium filling band/UMG labelmates.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Sounds as though the "unreleased" tracks will be strictly from the Exile sessions themselves, which is kind of a let down. I would have included some earlier recordings of tracks that eventually ended up on Exile, such as the 1969 recordings of "Shine A Light" and "Loving Cup" or "Good Time Women", recorded but not released in 1970 (which evolved into "Tumblin Dice")
    It's my understanding that the new Exile set includes both "Loving Cup" and "Good Time Women" from the 1969 sessions.

And of course FORD I thought the same thing... ok... 1972... what else happened that year... oh yeah your best concert movie, the only not properly released!! It's such a hot set, why can't they put it out for us?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix........

But spEDCO can't put a fucking LP together?

At what point do we pull the plug on the life support for CVH?

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post
    The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix........

But spEDCO can't put a fucking LP together?

At what point do we pull the plug on the life support for CVH?
    it does hurt the heart to contemplate that decision

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ODShowtime View Post
    It's my understanding that the new Exile set includes both "Loving Cup" and "Good Time Women" from the 1969 sessions.
    You can get a good rundown of what is coming and how things came about in this article from Rolling Stone. Of the tracks mentioned (As FORD pointed out and contrary to what Jagger says) about the only thing unheard is an instrumental called "Aladdin's Story" and the Keith guide vocal track of "Soul Survivor". Everything else simply had different titles, and has been bootlegged for years. For instance, "Pass The Wine" is the exact same track as a tune known as "Sophia Loren". And yes, a couple of tracks date back to the Let It Bleed sessions from 1969.

And of course FORD I thought the same thing... ok... 1972... what else happened that year... oh yeah your best concert movie, the only not properly released!! It's such a hot set, why can't they put it out for us?
    A pretty good quality print of this showed up around this time 2 years ago. It was even listed on Ebay and Amazon, but is currently unavailable at either. It must be available via torrent or trading sites by now. This is a clip of "Happy" from the film that showed up in the 25x5 documentary that was released in 1990.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cUU0P88BEIQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cUU0P88BEIQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

"Kick his ass Seabass.."
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2018 @ 11:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Mick Taylor would be on these tracks right? At this point id rather have him overdub some parts then Jagger but ill definitely still get it.
    Last edited by Jack68; 03-10-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack68 View Post
    Mick Taylor would be on these tracks right? At this point id rather have him overdub some parts then Jagger but ill definitely still get it.
    Don Was dropped a hint in the RS interview that Taylor was involved in some of the overdubbing that went on. This would make sense as he was present for the original recording. About the last thing anyone would want is for Ron Wood to clutter up the tracks. Much as I love the guy, he wasn't around back then, so any contribution on his part wouldn't make sense from a historical standpoint. Not that it's stopped the Stones from doing business that way for the past 30 years or so.

"Kick his ass Seabass.."
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Don Was dropped a hint in the RS interview that Taylor was involved in some of the overdubbing that went on. This would make sense as he was present for the original recording. About the last thing anyone would want is for Ron Wood to clutter up the tracks. Much as I love the guy, he wasn't around back then, so any contribution on his part wouldn't make sense from a historical standpoint. Not that it's stopped the Stones from doing business that way for the past 30 years or so.
    Thanks.
    The Secrets Behind the Rolling Stones' "Exile on Main Street" Reissue : Rolling Stone

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs up

You are certainly welcome. Yep, that's the link I posted earlier. By the way, read it while you can, as it's the complete article from the current Rolling Stone. The magazine only puts these up for a short period, then deletes them forcing you to purchase the issue!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was wondering about that. Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman both being long gone from the band. Now if they had to touch up the drum parts, that might be even trickier. Half of the studio drums in those days were played not by Charlie Watts, but by producer Jimmy Miller. And Jimmy died back in 97 or so, so he's not available.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm hoping the DVD is a "legitimate, remastered Dolby 5.1 yada yada yada" version of "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones". which was filmed on the 72 tour. It's long overdue.
    Doesn't look like it...
    but for those who don't have it...
    ladies&amp;gentlemen the rolling stones live 6-24/25-1972.+menus A+ - Demonoid

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ughh... I guess this is how you have to push new product these days...

“American Idol” Set to Tackle Songs By the Rolling Stones

3/11/10, 1:20 pm EST

Photo: AFP/Getty

Two years ago American Idol celebrated the music of the Fab Four, and next week the show’s Top 12 will pick up that rockin’ tradition by belting out songs by “the Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World,” the Rolling Stones. Host Ryan Seacrest made the announcement of next week’s musical theme on a radio promotion taped during last night’s episode, Entertainment Weeky reports. As it’s still too early on in the competition for celebrity mentors, it’s highly unlikely Mick Jagger or Keith Richards will participate, though Richards mentoring the kids on partying and excess for an hour would likely be more entertaining than the performances themselves.

We won’t know which contestants are singing what Stones classics until next week, but we’re already placing bets on what we expect to hear. On the ladies’ side, we anticipate “Satisfaction,” “Tumbling Dice,” “Time is on My Side,” “Gimme Shelter” (if a contestant is brazen enough to handle both Mick and the female leads) and, thanks to Susan Boyle, “Wild Horses.” For the men, we’re thinking “Brown Sugar,” “Miss You,” Sympathy for the Devil,” “Angie,” “Honky Tonk Woman” and “Waiting on a Friend.” “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” seems destined for the group performance, and let’s just add that any contestant who mines Goats Head Soup gets our automatic vote.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Gimme Shelter? (no way they'll allow that)
    First the dyke judge and now a chorus of 'Rape... Murder...'
    Maybe Stern as a judge isn't too far out of the realm of possibility.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

uh...
    I wouldn't mind seeing the weird glass-blowing chick do 'Let's Spend the Night Together'.
    ok... I'm finished now.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Half of the studio drums in those days were played not by Charlie Watts, but by producer Jimmy Miller. And Jimmy died back in 97 or so, so he's not available.
    FORD do you remember what other tunes Miller played on, for The Stones.

I thought he did the cowbell for Honky Tonk Women and played the drums on, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Shine a Light and Happy.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    FORD do you remember what other tunes Miller played on, for The Stones.

I thought he did the cowbell for Honky Tonk Women and played the drums on, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Shine a Light and Happy.
    Good luck with that. Trying to find out who played what on a Stones album is about as hard as figuring out the personnel on a KISS record. Bill Wyman has made some commentary over the years about the "sneaky ways" Jagger and Richards had of making albums. Wyman claims that many tracks were recorded in his absence, and it wasn't as if he was unavailable at the times the recording took place.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good luck with that. Trying to find out who played what on a Stones album is about as hard as figuring out the personnel on a KISS record. Bill Wyman has made some commentary over the years about the "sneaky ways" Jagger and Richards had of making albums. Wyman claims that many tracks were recorded in his absence, and it wasn't as if he was unavailable at the times the recording took place.
    Look at the boots of Jagger and Richards making Sympathy For The Devil, I think Keith ends up recording the bass on it. There was a good quality YouTube of them working the song up but I can't find it now.

Those guys also have a history of not crediting people's contributions to songs either and Brian Jones was upset with them for not giving him credit on quite a few tracks.

I guess we'll never know for sure....I'm sure Jagger knows but Richards probably has no idea what he even played on

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    Look at the boots of Jagger and Richards making Sympathy For The Devil, I think Keith ends up recording the bass on it. There was a good quality YouTube of them working the song up but I can't find it now.
    That was from a weird movie called One Plus One by Jean-Luc Godard. In the film, you can see how the song progressed during the session. You can also see Richards taking over on bass, with Wyman relegated to playing the maracas.

26. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (03-12-2010)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, not necessarily. There's a website that has the lyrics to most Stones songs - including the boots - and lists the lineup for every song. I'm not sure how authenticated the info is, but it's probably a more comprehensive source than you would find anywhere else, at least until someone in the Stones camp publishes a complete log of every session they ever recorded.

And considering that's damn near a half century of studio time, who the Hell is gonna want that job?

Anyway, here's the link: Keno's Rolling Stones Lyrics Page

28. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (03-12-2010)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

U2 finally put out their legendary Red Rocks performance from 1983 on DVD, and packaged it with the remaster of the 'Under A Blood Red Sky" EP. Hopefully the Stones will take the hint from their fellow veteran rockers/stadium filling band/UMG labelmates.
    Knowing my luck it would be, especially after I finally decided last year to pony up some dough and buy copies of the Ladies and Gentleman, The Rolling Stones and Cocksucker Blues films via a bootleg site.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Outside of the tracks he did on Black and Blue Some Girls and the tracks he did play on Tattoo You, Woody hasn't really distinguished himself much on record with the Stones...and most of his better moments were in his first several years in the band...too much freebasing.

"Kick his ass Seabass.."
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Great link Ford thanks.I did not know Page played lead on one hit to the body.I take it Keith was "taking care of Marlon."

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Great link Ford thanks.I did not know Page played lead on one hit to the body.I take it Keith was "taking care of Marlon."
    That was from a period when Page was doing a bunch of session work, trying to get his head together after coming out of a heroin daze for the better part of a decade. He wound up playing on a Stephen Stills album, and did several uncredited cameos as well. One of the more interesting sessions from this period featured Alan White and Chris Squire from Yes. One of the tracks named "Mind Drive" ended up in an altered form on the Yes album Keys to Ascension 2, while parts of it ended up on the Firm's second album as the track "Fortune Hunter". You can hear some of the tracks here.

Page and Richards have made several recordings together over the years, though none have ever been released in professional form.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I figured that one out the first time I heard the song, back in 86. That solo, sloppy as it is, was unmistakably Page.

I remember some of my friends telling me I was "full of shit" at the time when I told them that. Hair-farmer types who hated the Stones and couldn't handle the thought of their Zeppelin god hangin' with Mick & Keith.

I didn't even try to tell them about the role John Paul Jones played in the making of "Their Satanic Majesties Request".

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's a bluesy number from the Exile sessions which I don't think I've heard before today. Probably didn't make the album because there's too much Mick Taylor in it. (Keith had this habit of cutting his studio involvement down as much as possible)

Don't know if this song will be in the expanded reissue, but it should be....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M--Z4KqRpow&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M--Z4KqRpow&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dEkxqQck8Mo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dEkxqQck8Mo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

36. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (03-27-2010)

Thread Information