Thread: Why has Joe Perry always hated Ed?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-15-2012 @ 10:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Why has Joe Perry always hated Ed?

He is a quote from some magazine about what Slow Perry said when Ed was first coming on to the scene

Joe Perry openly confesses that he, too, “felt the heat” when the hotshot from Pasadena hit the touring scene. “He was single- handedly moving guitar to a whole new level,” reflected the Aerosmith kingpin decades later. “We were the preeminent stadium headliners, and here were these young upstarts, ready to fill our shoes. What was amazing about Eddie’s playing was that it was full of stuff I’d heard before, yet it all sounded so new. For instance, that tape echo sound [at the end of “Eruption”] was such an old trick that I never would have done it. But Eddie was from the next generation, and everything was new to him. And he was playing to a whole new batch of kids that didn’t grow up with that stuff, so it was very smart for him to use tricks like that on top of his naturally brilliant playing. Suddenly there was this whole West Coast guitarslinger movement that he started.”

I also recall Ed saying he went up to him backstage once to say hello and Perry basically just walked away.....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Well, if you were at the time being touted as the "American Jeff Beck" until some upstart from California showed up and blew yours and everyone else at the time's door off to the point where people stopped talking about you, you'd probably be a little bitter too...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2014 @ 11:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 757 Posts

It just sounds like he was threatened by Ed's playing.
    After he made two classic albums like Toys in the Attic and Rocks why would it matter?

Rick Derringer also trashed Ed in the press at the time, saying he played without emotion and anyone could practice 6 months and do the same thing.

I don't think they were comfortable having their asses handed to them when VH's first album came along.

4. 5 users say thank you to ThrillsNSpills for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (03-04-2010),Golden AWe (03-06-2010),indeedido (03-05-2010),Terry (03-04-2010),UK ROCKER (03-04-2010)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post
    I don't think they were comfortable having their asses handed to them when VH's first album came along.
    BINGO.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hahaha very true. Vh handed everyone their asses no matter who they were opening for. I just love that Perry said its all stuff i heard before as if saying he could have done it....lol

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DLRdelight! View Post
    Vh handed everyone their asses no matter who they were opening for. I just love that Perry said its all stuff i heard before as if saying he could have done it....lol
    It is a silly thing to say, isn't it? Sort of like implying that everybody had been dribbling the ball and shooting hoops for years, Michael Jordan just did it when a new audience was watching. By that logic, anyone that has ever played miniature golf should be able to compete with Tiger Woods, because all you are doing is hitting a ball with a club.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I like classic Aerosmith and all, but honestly I never thought much of Perry as a guitar player... great image and swagger, but I found most of his leads pretty uninspiring.

9. 2 users say thank you to Mr Walker for this KICKASS post:

indeedido (03-05-2010),Terry (03-04-2010)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    I like classic Aerosmith and all, but honestly I never thought much of Perry as a guitar player... great image and swagger, but I found most of his leads pretty uninspiring.
    I agree. Just the same scales, scales, scales, played over and over on an out of tune guitar. Part of the problem must be that he is indeed left handed, yet plays right handed. If he'd flipped the guitar around 40 years ago, things might have been drastically different...or not. He still would have looked cool.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Not too sure that he hates him - seems to give Ed his dues in the piece above and readily admits he was blowing everyone away.

Perry is a great guitar hero, not a great guitar player.

12. 2 users say thank you to binnie for this KICKASS post:

Golden AWe (03-06-2010),Terry (03-04-2010)

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-18-2010 @ 06:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Typical embittered babbling. It's not fine to be dethroned from such a position, you know.

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-28-2015 @ 09:48 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm biased, as I'm from Beantown, and I've met Joe a couple of few times.
    Soft-spoken, aloof and very polite.
    I could guess that Ed's blowoff was indeed some jealousy, as folks pointed out, the torch was being passed. I would imagine it had something to do with the smack problem Joe was very deep into at that point.
    Most of the big name bands were terrified of VH back then...could you imagine having to play your headlining set after these wild young lions decimated the stage and obliterated the audience?
    I do like Joe, but the work Brad Whitford has contributed to classic A-Smith is overshadowed by the image of Joe. Never once did that seem to get to Brad...he was content doing what he was doing...a class act.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

He is a quote from some magazine about what Slow Perry said when Ed was first coming on to the scene

Joe Perry openly confesses that he, too, “felt the heat” when the hotshot from Pasadena hit the touring scene. “He was single- handedly moving guitar to a whole new level,” reflected the Aerosmith kingpin decades later. “We were the preeminent stadium headliners, and here were these young upstarts, ready to fill our shoes. What was amazing about Eddie’s playing was that it was full of stuff I’d heard before, yet it all sounded so new. For instance, that tape echo sound [at the end of “Eruption”] was such an old trick that I never would have done it. But Eddie was from the next generation, and everything was new to him. And he was playing to a whole new batch of kids that didn’t grow up with that stuff, so it was very smart for him to use tricks like that on top of his naturally brilliant playing. Suddenly there was this whole West Coast guitarslinger movement that he started.”

I also recall Ed saying he went up to him backstage once to say hello and Perry basically just walked away.....
    It's proper to provide the link to the original article....

10 Things You Gotta Do To Play Like Eddie Van Halen, Jude Gold

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tojoro View Post
    I do like Joe, but the work Brad Whitford has contributed to classic A-Smith is overshadowed by the image of Joe. Never once did that seem to get to Brad...he was content doing what he was doing...a class act.
    Brad Whitford can mop the stage with Joe. The only reason Brad isn't the main lead guitarist is simply timing. Had Brad been an original member he might have had a bigger say about his role in the band.(he replaced original rhythm guitarist Ray Tabano before they were signed).

Joe, clearly felt threatened and was jealous of Ed's abilities...

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-18-2015 @ 11:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Chalk it up to drugs and jealousy.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Perry has been a crucial part of a great band.

Aerosmith wrote (past tense, but still...) great, timeless songs. Their strength was in their tunes and groovin' delivery.

Lot of those 70s bands were pissed at Van Halen because CVH had the songs, the look, the flash, the showmanship AND the musicianship.

I mean, for Perry to have claimed Eddie was doing things that had been done before, well, Eddie didn't invent two-handed tapping but suffice to say when Eruption came out people's fucking jaws were dropping. That isn't the result of something that a ton of people had heard before.

Perry came up with great riffs, but I'd certainly agree his soloing is less than inspirational. Nothing for him to grouse about, though. Plenty of former 80s metal shredders who had graced the covers of all the guitar mags back two decades ago can't fill a club the size of a postage stamp these days.

The song is where it's at.

It's just Perry's bad luck to be in a spot where Van Halen not only had songs just as killer as Aerosmith's, but had a guitar player who could play rings around him as well.

Rick Derringer? Fuck him and his cock and blow hootchie doo.

19. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Golden AWe (03-06-2010),ppg960 (03-11-2010)

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-02-2013 @ 10:05 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Cool

God cranks =VH= while he rides his Harley.

Classic =VH= baby!

...and now back to your regular programming...

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Perry has been a crucial part of a great band.

Aerosmith wrote (past tense, but still...) great, timeless songs. Their strength was in their tunes and groovin' delivery.

Lot of those 70s bands were pissed at Van Halen because CVH had the songs, the look, the flash, the showmanship AND the musicianship.

I mean, for Perry to have claimed Eddie was doing things that had been done before, well, Eddie didn't invent two-handed tapping but suffice to say when Eruption came out people's fucking jaws were dropping. That isn't the result of something that a ton of people had heard before.

Perry came up with great riffs, but I'd certainly agree his soloing is less than inspirational. Nothing for him to grouse about, though. Plenty of former 80s metal shredders who had graced the covers of all the guitar mags back two decades ago can't fill a club the size of a postage stamp these days.

The song is where it's at.

It's just Perry's bad luck to be in a spot where Van Halen not only had songs just as killer as Aerosmith's, but had a guitar player who could play rings around him as well.

Rick Derringer? Fuck him and his cock and blow hootchie doo.

Sorry about the 'groan' Holmes. I am on my iPod and hit that by mistake while I was scrolllllllin'!

My bad, you aaaight, I'm aaaaight, it's aaaaight.

22. Thanked VanHalener for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-07-2010)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2019 @ 10:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Some people are just not comfortable in their own skin, or have no self confidence. Otherwise, a person like Perry, who was on top of the world at the time, would have given major props to someone like Ed. It's not like EVEYONE in the music biz didn't go HOLY SHIT!!! Who are these mofo's?

24. Thanked TAKIN WHISKEY for this KICKASS post:

VanHalener (03-04-2010)

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TAKIN WHISKEY View Post
    Some people are just not comfortable in their own skin, or have no self confidence. Otherwise, a person like Perry, who was on top of the world at the time, would have given major props to someone like Ed. It's not like EVEYONE in the music biz didn't go HOLY SHIT!!! Who are these mofo's?
    Look Holmes, about the 'thanks'. I am not on my iPod and didn't hit that by mistake while I was respondin'!

I think you

You aaaight, I'm aaaaight, it's aaaaight.

26. Thanked VanHalener for this KICKASS post:

TAKIN WHISKEY (03-04-2010)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2019 @ 10:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Sure nuff, back at ya bro.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry but Ed wasn't using any old and tried tricks. Sure. He had tape echo but he sure as hell wasn't using it for reverb. He had a phaser and a flanger but nobody was doing what he was doing with those either. Nobody was doing Atomic Punk with a Phase 90 before. Yeah, Buddy Holly had a tremelo unit but he wasn't doing Eruption.

Ed like Hendrix blew everyone away. Both scared people.

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    seems to give Ed his dues in the piece above and readily admits he was blowing everyone away.
    Yes...and no.

While he does give Ed some cred, it's usually a little backhanded. Most of the comments, while positive on the surface, end up reading like veiled "shots" at Ed.

it was full of stuff I’d heard before...
    that tape echo sound [at the end of “Eruption”] was such an old trick that I never would have done it
    So he's complimentary...but there's always a little "dig" or just an overall appearance that there's a caveat with everything he's saying.

I've never really been a huge fan of Joe Perry's playing anyway...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nice response Nitro!!!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Ed like Hendrix blew everyone away. Both scared people.
    I can think of only one or two guitar players after Ed who had such an impact on the guitar community, but I think they had a lesser impact:

- Randy Rhoads
    - Yngwie Malmsteen

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2024 @ 08:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It wasn't just his playing, he had a style that was new. How dare someone smile and look like their having a good time. Plus he could shred like you dont wanna fuckin know. Yeah, some cats are faster, more technical, etc. Ed defined a generation, fuck Joe Perry that jealous prick.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    I can think of only one or two guitar players after Ed who had such an impact on the guitar community, but I think they had a lesser impact:

- Randy Rhoads
    - Yngwie Malmsteen
    Both got the attention of musicians but Eddie and Hendrix got the attention of everyone. That's the difference. Eddie and Jimi came from outer space, Randy and Yngwie just played well.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Nice response Nitro!!!

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    05-26-2015 @ 05:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I've seen MANY comments over the years with Perry blasting MANY legendary lead guitarists. Bitter, jealous old fuck....

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-19-2012 @ 11:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I heard the famous story of Van Halen meeting Aerosmith for the first time...

Ed went to shake Joe's hand and the dude just looked at him and walked away.

Prick...

From what i've read, Ed was disliked by Perry because for several years Aerosmith held the coveted spot as the kings of arena rock. Then Van Halen comes along and steals the show, furthermore pushing Aerosmith into the wings.

Being a musician is always a Catch-22 situation, dude.

If you're better than somebody, they hate you for it, if you're worse than somebody, then they hate you for it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    If you are a musician someone will always hate you. Hell, that's life in general. It's either jealousy or the need to piss on someone to feel big. Basically it's the people who are insecure about themselves who are the biggest assholes and they feel a need to prove themselves and when someone gets in the way they hate them for it.

The reality for a musician is if people buy your music or pay to see your play and you can live off of that, you are a professional musician no matter who hates you. If you can produce something musically that someone wants to buy and what you do musically gets them off, you are doing your job. If nobody likes your music then you can get off on your little world and starve, or take the hint and find something else to do.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Anyone professional or not who has spent any time on stage will know the audience will tell you whether you are doing your job well or not. Big smiles, dancing, bopping to the rhythm tell you they not only like it but you are effecting them. Looks of what the fuck, sarcastic laughter, anger, or bored stiff looking means you are sucking. It doesn't matter what your think, those faces in the audience tell all. That's the reality check and those are the people you need to connect with. Lot's of people went to see Aerosmith and bought their music regardless of VH being successful. So the jealousy is just stupid. Period. It's a waste of emotion and screams "I'm insecure". Who cares if people still like your stuff and you are having fun doing it.

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lumbergh View Post
    I've seen MANY comments over the years with Perry blasting MANY legendary lead guitarists. Bitter, jealous old fuck....
    Years back Joe Perry showed up outside a local bar we used to hang out at (not unusual, as they all own homes on the Cape) He was all fucked up, and attracting a crowd. As a friend and I watched from a distance he yelled at the people "Don't anybody EVEN SPEAK to me unless you have a gram of the best coke in town". Before anybody else answered my friend yanked a seal out of his pocket yelling "I do, and you ain't getting any of it!" Laughing, we ducked inside the building.

Not five minutes later someone said "Joe Perry just got knocked out outside!" I looked out the door, and sure enough, there he is still attracting a crowd but doing it from the ground. Later I found out he started screaming in the wrong persons face for drugs and they cold-cocked him...

40. 2 users say thank you to Igosplut for this KICKASS post:

Bill Lumbergh (03-08-2010),Sensible Shoes (03-07-2010)

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenFan5150 View Post
    I heard the famous story of Van Halen meeting Aerosmith for the first time...

Ed went to shake Joe's hand and the dude just looked at him and walked away.

Prick...

From what i've read, Ed was disliked by Perry because for several years Aerosmith held the coveted spot as the kings of arena rock. Then Van Halen comes along and steals the show, furthermore pushing Aerosmith into the wings.

Being a musician is always a Catch-22 situation, dude.

If you're better than somebody, they hate you for it, if you're worse than somebody, then they hate you for it.
    This year has been a constant personal lesson in that theory.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 08:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe Joe was just a good judge of character?

43. Thanked hideyoursheep for this KICKASS post:

binnie (03-07-2010)

Thread Information