Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VanHalener
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

God cranks =VH= while he rides his Harley.

Classic =VH= baby!

...and now back to your regular programming...
    ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• VanHalener
      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Terry
      Perry has been a crucial part of a great band.

Aerosmith wrote (past tense, but still...) great, timeless songs. Their strength was in their tunes and groovin' delivery.

Lot of those 70s bands were pissed at Van Halen because CVH had the songs, the look, the flash, the showmanship AND the musicianship.

I mean, for Perry to have claimed Eddie was doing things that had been done before, well, Eddie didn't invent two-handed tapping but suffice to say when Eruption came out people's fucking jaws were dropping. That isn't the result of something that a ton of people had heard before.

Perry came up with great riffs, but I'd certainly agree his soloing is less than inspirational. Nothing for him to grouse about, though. Plenty of former 80s metal shredders who had graced the covers of all the guitar mags back two decades ago can't fill a club the size of a postage stamp these days.

The song is where it's at.

It's just Perry's bad luck to be in a spot where Van Halen not only had songs just as killer as Aerosmith's, but had a guitar player who could play rings around him as well.

Rick Derringer? Fuck him and his cock and blow hootchie doo.

Sorry about the 'groan' Holmes. I am on my iPod and hit that by mistake while I was scrolllllllin'!

My bad, you aaaight, I'm aaaaight, it's aaaaight.
      ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
        Commando
        • Apr 2006

Some people are just not comfortable in their own skin, or have no self confidence. Otherwise, a person like Perry, who was on top of the world at the time, would have given major props to someone like Ed. It's not like EVEYONE in the music biz didn't go HOLY SHIT!!! Who are these mofo's?

Comment

• VanHalener
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by TAKIN WHISKEY
          Some people are just not comfortable in their own skin, or have no self confidence. Otherwise, a person like Perry, who was on top of the world at the time, would have given major props to someone like Ed. It's not like EVEYONE in the music biz didn't go HOLY SHIT!!! Who are these mofo's?
          Look Holmes, about the 'thanks'. I am not on my iPod and didn't hit that by mistake while I was respondin'!

I think you

You aaaight, I'm aaaaight, it's aaaaight.

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
            Commando
            • Apr 2006

Sure nuff, back at ya bro.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I'm sorry but Ed wasn't using any old and tried tricks. Sure. He had tape echo but he sure as hell wasn't using it for reverb. He had a phaser and a flanger but nobody was doing what he was doing with those either. Nobody was doing Atomic Punk with a Phase 90 before. Yeah, Buddy Holly had a tremelo unit but he wasn't doing Eruption.

Ed like Hendrix blew everyone away. Both scared people.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by binnie
                seems to give Ed his dues in the piece above and readily admits he was blowing everyone away.
                Yes...and no.

While he does give Ed some cred, it's usually a little backhanded. Most of the comments, while positive on the surface, end up reading like veiled "shots" at Ed.

it was full of stuff I’d heard before...
                that tape echo sound [at the end of “Eruption”] was such an old trick that I never would have done it
                So he's complimentary...but there's always a little "dig" or just an overall appearance that there's a caveat with everything he's saying.

I've never really been a huge fan of Joe Perry's playing anyway...
                Originally posted by perilouspete
                fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• DLRdelight!
                  Veteran
                  • Jul 2004

Nice response Nitro!!!

Comment

• Mushroom
                    Commando
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    Ed like Hendrix blew everyone away. Both scared people.
                    I can think of only one or two guitar players after Ed who had such an impact on the guitar community, but I think they had a lesser impact:

- Randy Rhoads
                    - Yngwie Malmsteen

Comment

• Southpaw
                      Roadie
                      • Jan 2009

It wasn't just his playing, he had a style that was new. How dare someone smile and look like their having a good time. Plus he could shred like you dont wanna fuckin know. Yeah, some cats are faster, more technical, etc. Ed defined a generation, fuck Joe Perry that jealous prick.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
                        I can think of only one or two guitar players after Ed who had such an impact on the guitar community, but I think they had a lesser impact:

- Randy Rhoads
                        - Yngwie Malmsteen
                        Both got the attention of musicians but Eddie and Hendrix got the attention of everyone. That's the difference. Eddie and Jimi came from outer space, Randy and Yngwie just played well.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DLRdelight!
                          Nice response Nitro!!!

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

I've seen MANY comments over the years with Perry blasting MANY legendary lead guitarists. Bitter, jealous old fuck....

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                              Sniper
                              • Oct 2009

I heard the famous story of Van Halen meeting Aerosmith for the first time...

Ed went to shake Joe's hand and the dude just looked at him and walked away.

Prick...

From what i've read, Ed was disliked by Perry because for several years Aerosmith held the coveted spot as the kings of arena rock. Then Van Halen comes along and steals the show, furthermore pushing Aerosmith into the wings.

Being a musician is always a Catch-22 situation, dude.

If you're better than somebody, they hate you for it, if you're worse than somebody, then they hate you for it.
                              Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

If you are a musician someone will always hate you. Hell, that's life in general. It's either jealousy or the need to piss on someone to feel big. Basically it's the people who are insecure about themselves who are the biggest assholes and they feel a need to prove themselves and when someone gets in the way they hate them for it.

The reality for a musician is if people buy your music or pay to see your play and you can live off of that, you are a professional musician no matter who hates you. If you can produce something musically that someone wants to buy and what you do musically gets them off, you are doing your job. If nobody likes your music then you can get off on your little world and starve, or take the hint and find something else to do.

Comment

Working...