X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLRdelight!
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

Why has Joe Perry always hated Ed?

He is a quote from some magazine about what Slow Perry said when Ed was first coming on to the scene

Joe Perry openly confesses that he, too, “felt the heat” when the hotshot from Pasadena hit the touring scene. “He was single- handedly moving guitar to a whole new level,” reflected the Aerosmith kingpin decades later. “We were the preeminent stadium headliners, and here were these young upstarts, ready to fill our shoes. What was amazing about Eddie’s playing was that it was full of stuff I’d heard before, yet it all sounded so new. For instance, that tape echo sound [at the end of “Eruption”] was such an old trick that I never would have done it. But Eddie was from the next generation, and everything was new to him. And he was playing to a whole new batch of kids that didn’t grow up with that stuff, so it was very smart for him to use tricks like that on top of his naturally brilliant playing. Suddenly there was this whole West Coast guitarslinger movement that he started.”

I also recall Ed saying he went up to him backstage once to say hello and Perry basically just walked away.....
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Well, if you were at the time being touted as the "American Jeff Beck" until some upstart from California showed up and blew yours and everyone else at the time's door off to the point where people stopped talking about you, you'd probably be a little bitter too...
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

It just sounds like he was threatened by Ed's playing.
      After he made two classic albums like Toys in the Attic and Rocks why would it matter?

Rick Derringer also trashed Ed in the press at the time, saying he played without emotion and anyone could practice 6 months and do the same thing.

I don't think they were comfortable having their asses handed to them when VH's first album came along.

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
        I don't think they were comfortable having their asses handed to them when VH's first album came along.
        BINGO.

Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• DLRdelight!
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

Hahaha very true. Vh handed everyone their asses no matter who they were opening for. I just love that Perry said its all stuff i heard before as if saying he could have done it....lol

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DLRdelight!
            Vh handed everyone their asses no matter who they were opening for. I just love that Perry said its all stuff i heard before as if saying he could have done it....lol
            It is a silly thing to say, isn't it? Sort of like implying that everybody had been dribbling the ball and shooting hoops for years, Michael Jordan just did it when a new audience was watching. By that logic, anyone that has ever played miniature golf should be able to compete with Tiger Woods, because all you are doing is hitting a ball with a club.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Mr Walker
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

I like classic Aerosmith and all, but honestly I never thought much of Perry as a guitar player... great image and swagger, but I found most of his leads pretty uninspiring.

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                I like classic Aerosmith and all, but honestly I never thought much of Perry as a guitar player... great image and swagger, but I found most of his leads pretty uninspiring.
                I agree. Just the same scales, scales, scales, played over and over on an out of tune guitar. Part of the problem must be that he is indeed left handed, yet plays right handed. If he'd flipped the guitar around 40 years ago, things might have been drastically different...or not. He still would have looked cool.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Not too sure that he hates him - seems to give Ed his dues in the piece above and readily admits he was blowing everyone away.

Perry is a great guitar hero, not a great guitar player.
                  The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Ralphy Lee Fox
                    Roadie
                    • Mar 2010

Typical embittered babbling. It's not fine to be dethroned from such a position, you know.
                    "You keep on raining and I'll still be the parade"
                    David Lee Roth

Comment

• tojoro
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Dec 2009

I'm biased, as I'm from Beantown, and I've met Joe a couple of few times.
                      Soft-spoken, aloof and very polite.
                      I could guess that Ed's blowoff was indeed some jealousy, as folks pointed out, the torch was being passed. I would imagine it had something to do with the smack problem Joe was very deep into at that point.
                      Most of the big name bands were terrified of VH back then...could you imagine having to play your headlining set after these wild young lions decimated the stage and obliterated the audience?
                      I do like Joe, but the work Brad Whitford has contributed to classic A-Smith is overshadowed by the image of Joe. Never once did that seem to get to Brad...he was content doing what he was doing...a class act.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DLRdelight!
                        He is a quote from some magazine about what Slow Perry said when Ed was first coming on to the scene

Joe Perry openly confesses that he, too, “felt the heat” when the hotshot from Pasadena hit the touring scene. “He was single- handedly moving guitar to a whole new level,” reflected the Aerosmith kingpin decades later. “We were the preeminent stadium headliners, and here were these young upstarts, ready to fill our shoes. What was amazing about Eddie’s playing was that it was full of stuff I’d heard before, yet it all sounded so new. For instance, that tape echo sound [at the end of “Eruption”] was such an old trick that I never would have done it. But Eddie was from the next generation, and everything was new to him. And he was playing to a whole new batch of kids that didn’t grow up with that stuff, so it was very smart for him to use tricks like that on top of his naturally brilliant playing. Suddenly there was this whole West Coast guitarslinger movement that he started.”

I also recall Ed saying he went up to him backstage once to say hello and Perry basically just walked away.....
                        It's proper to provide the link to the original article....

10 Things You Gotta Do To Play Like Eddie Van Halen, Jude Gold
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by tojoro
                          I do like Joe, but the work Brad Whitford has contributed to classic A-Smith is overshadowed by the image of Joe. Never once did that seem to get to Brad...he was content doing what he was doing...a class act.
                          Brad Whitford can mop the stage with Joe. The only reason Brad isn't the main lead guitarist is simply timing. Had Brad been an original member he might have had a bigger say about his role in the band.(he replaced original rhythm guitarist Ray Tabano before they were signed).

Joe, clearly felt threatened and was jealous of Ed's abilities...
                          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Antman
                            Commando
                            • Jan 2004

Chalk it up to drugs and jealousy.
                            When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Perry has been a crucial part of a great band.

Aerosmith wrote (past tense, but still...) great, timeless songs. Their strength was in their tunes and groovin' delivery.

Lot of those 70s bands were pissed at Van Halen because CVH had the songs, the look, the flash, the showmanship AND the musicianship.

I mean, for Perry to have claimed Eddie was doing things that had been done before, well, Eddie didn't invent two-handed tapping but suffice to say when Eruption came out people's fucking jaws were dropping. That isn't the result of something that a ton of people had heard before.

Perry came up with great riffs, but I'd certainly agree his soloing is less than inspirational. Nothing for him to grouse about, though. Plenty of former 80s metal shredders who had graced the covers of all the guitar mags back two decades ago can't fill a club the size of a postage stamp these days.

The song is where it's at.

It's just Perry's bad luck to be in a spot where Van Halen not only had songs just as killer as Aerosmith's, but had a guitar player who could play rings around him as well.

Rick Derringer? Fuck him and his cock and blow hootchie doo.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...