Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Tom Delay: People Unemployed Because They Want To Be

Sam Stein Sam Stein – Sun Mar 7, 11:06 am ET

Former House Majority Leader Tom Delay called Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.) "brave" on Sunday for launching a one-man filibuster of unemployment benefits, arguing that they dissuaded people from going out and finding work.

Appearing on CNN's "State of the Union," the Texas Republican said that Bunning's fiscal responsibility was commendable, even if his shenanigans (refusing to allow unemployment benefits to be considered by unanimous consent) nearly brought the Senate to a halt.

"Nothing would have happened if the Democrats had just paid for [the benefits]," Delay said. "People would have gotten their unemployment compensation. I think Bunning was brave in standing up there and taking it on by himself."

Asked whether it was bad strategy to make a budget stand on a $10 billion extension of unemployment (as opposed to, say, the Bush's $720 billion prescription drug package), Delay insisted that if the PR had been done right, Bunning would have been applauded. Helping the unemployed with federal assistance, he said, was unsound policy.

"You know," Delay said, "there is an argument to be made that these extensions, the unemployment benefits keeps people from going and finding jobs. In fact there are some studies that have been done that show people stay on unemployment compensation and they don't look for a job until two or three weeks before they know the benefits are going to run out.

Host Candy Crowley: Congressman, that's a hard sell, isn't it?

Delay: it's the truth.

Crowley: People are unemployed because they want to be?

Delay: well, it is the truth. and people in the real world know it. And they have friends and they know it. Sure, we ought to be helping people that are unemployed find a job, but we also have budget considerations that are incredibly important, especially now that Obama is spending monies that we don't have.

Tom Delay: People Are Unemployed Because They Want To Be - Yahoo! News
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He is correct that "some" people don't look for work until they know the bene's are about to dry up. I've seen it happen and I know it's happening. Although Tom's phrasing seems to label more than just "some".

I don't think the headline here is fair or correct. Somewhat simplifying what he said and taking it a bit out of context in the attempts to rile people up. Although, if he honestly does believe a majority are milking it and just minced his words here to be politically correct, I'd like to be the first to say FUCK YOU.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

I would expect he means it like the headline says.

He is a standard Neo-Con Christian Asshole FUCK who does not give a fucking damn about helping the American People (like most Retardlican asslickers).

So I will tell him to go fuck his worthless self, because I know he is a motherfucking dick!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Pervert On A Park Bench
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2019 @ 09:50 AM
    Status
    Thanks

so, if you lose you're job, I should help pay your paycheck?

how about FUCK THAT?

Get off your ass, and work for McDonalds untill you land the job you're 'worth'.
    You can send out resumes in the off time...

there IS no excuse for getting SOME kind of fucking job.

This is fucking BULLSHIT.

I've worked hard all my life, and yes,
    I DO know what it's like to lose your job.

You should get 90 days of 'help', max,
    and they should cut your ass off after that...

Now food stamps is another story....

If your husband abandons the family, let's say,
    and you never worked outside the home before..
    yeah, of course we should help feed the family untill you get a game plan together...
    Last edited by Top Jimmy; 03-08-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
    so, if you lose you're job, I should help pay your paycheck?

how about FUCK THAT?

Get off your ass, and work for McDonalds untill you land the job you're 'worth'.
    You can send out resumes in the off time...

there IS no excuse for getting SOME kind of fucking job.

This is fucking BULLSHIT.
    One question...
    Why would someone take a gig at McDonald's if it pays LESS than the Unemployment benefits they EARNED at their previous job? That would pretty much be screwing yourself...

But by all means, go ahead...

6. Thanked jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

WACF (03-08-2010)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Tom DeLay should be getting a daily assfucking in a Federal prison. The fact that he is not, and the fact that the whore media still considers his opinion on ANYTHING worthy of airtime, are both evidence of how fucked up this country is because of the last 30 years. Just as much as the lack of jobs itself is.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

There will always be people who milk the system.

However, I genuinely believe most people want to work - getting up everyday with nothing to do whatsoever will lose its appeal after a month.

The idea that places like McDonald's are hiring is also misplaced (at least in the UK.) Everyone is trying to save money. Added to that if your a skilled and/or highly educated worker that has lost your job, why would someone take you on in a relatively menial position? You're going to leave as soon as a better job turns up, so it's safer to take someone 'lower down the line' so to speak....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    There will always be people who milk the system.

However, I genuinely believe most people want to work - getting up everyday with nothing to do whatsoever will lose its appeal after a month.
    I think it would take about 6 months with me.

Maybe a bit longer.

Actually I could happily retire...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

Actually I could happily retire...
    Retirement is differnt to unemployment - with no money to entertain yourself, not working would get old quickly. There's only so much Jeremy Kyle a man can watch

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Retirement is differnt to unemployment - with no money to entertain yourself, not working would get old quickly. There's only so much Jeremy Kyle a man can watch

Very true. But you are using 1980's & before type mentality here. Just look at something like World of Warcraft. That game has caused people to lose their jobs because they become addicted and play 18 hours a day. If someone out of work hooked onto something like this, it drastically would remove their motivation to do anything else.

Also the Internet in general. How many times have you come one to check email, or see if anything newsworthy is happening here, and all a sudden...BAM!...3 hours are gone?

Go to RothArmy, read a few, post a few, click a link to Megadeth website, and you see they once toured with Metal Church. Lookup Metal Church and get re-directed to some fantastically built church in England. Reading about that you see the town also has the oldest chocolate store. Chocolate? History of chocolate searched & studied. Used to be shipped on terrific ships with large sails. Large sails? I wonder how big those were. Google search sail size. Some of those sailors contracted scurvy. On to WebMD search of scurvy symptoms..............wait. Was I supposed to be doing something today?

12. 2 users say thank you to sadaist for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (03-09-2010),Sensible Shoes (03-09-2010)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Binnie raises another good point - how many people that WOULD take a fast-food gig after their benefits expire will get "You're overqualified" if they DO try to apply?

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Binnie raises another good point - how many people that WOULD take a fast-food gig after their benefits expire will get "You're overqualified" if they DO try to apply?

Even if you are overqualified for a decent entry level job, chances are you may not get hired. Some companies want fresh college kids that they can train "their way". Not someone past 30 years old. Even if you have great experience. Also, some of the young guns hiring may feel threatened by your experience & knowledge. (gunning for their job mentality). It's tough to get any job right now.

As far as you mentioning jobs that pay less than unemployment, I agree. You're getting $300 week sitting at home? Or $200 a week getting greasy at McD's? Which will people choose?

I don't know what the solution is. Maybe instead of all the wasted job training & extended benefits, we hire the ones we can for government jobs. DMV is just data entry for example. I'm sure there are thousands of entry level type government jobs. Instead of paying people to look for work, pay them to work. Give maybe 90 days of benefits while they job search on their own, but after that you're working for Uncle Sam or you're on your own. Or just have them put in 15 hours a week for those unemployment benefits. Still allows for 5 days to look for work elsewhere, might as well put in some needed labor while you live on the cheese.

With the exception of food stamps. People need to eat. But even that program is abused to hell.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 3,449 Posts

I'm pretty sure Tom Delay also believes that some women want to be raped, children deserved poverty, and that he's a good and moral person despite the fact he's a corrupt cunt...

Incidentally, unemployment benefits are consistently shown to be one of the most direct forms of economic stimulus and is far more effective investment than mindless tax breaks doled out by bent, bribe-taking douche bags like Delay...

16. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

FORD (03-08-2010),jhale667 (03-08-2010)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I don't know what the solution is. Maybe instead of all the wasted job training & extended benefits, we hire the ones we can for government jobs. DMV is just data entry for example. I'm sure there are thousands of entry level type government jobs. Instead of paying people to look for work, pay them to work. Give maybe 90 days of benefits while they job search on their own, but after that you're working for Uncle Sam or you're on your own.
    It's not such a bad idea. I had a job when I was younger working for the government for a while and worked out one day it was only costing them a few grand a year to employ me since they got most of my salary back in one tax or another.

You would have to encourage people to smoke and drink heavily for maximum effect though.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

I can tell you that I've been turned down for retail jobs, seasonal jobs, and secretarial positions for every reason from "you don't know how to use a touch screen cash register" to "you're overqualified" to the unspoken "you're too old".

There ARE no jobs that will pay me what I used to make. I don't even hold out that hope anymore. But I no longer have a house to pay for, so we'll just have to see what happens. I am going to begin cleaning poop out of people's yards as soon as I can put the signs up. And continue going to school.

Thread Information