Thread: 2010-2011 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Craig, it's so funny tou mention the old WGN cable TV days cos that's why (well, MJ had something to do with it as well ) I was such a huge Bulls fan in the 80's. lol Of course, we have the SPAZZ but I've just never rooted for 'em. Mainly cos I think our local fans are by far some of the biggest crybaby, poor sports around. Well, next to Wolfie within these forums but that's neither here nor there. lol

Seriously, attending any SPAZZ game, you're almost 100% guaranteed of getting into some sort of an altercation. Maybe it's cos they're all Mormon, concealing their beer drinking or they're too high on sugar? Dunno?
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya. I was really surprised at the commentary by some Sox fans had for Epstein, particularly after the guy essentially brought the team it's championships. It really seemed unfair, but I guess people feel they have to blame somebody. The thing is, he isn't blowing saves or fielding poorly, and if anyone can figure a way out of this mess, he'd be the guy.
    Personally, I tend to side with the nation... I don't much care for Theo cos I think he's made some dumb decisions. Letting go of Bay was fucking uncalled for and completely unnecessary. IMO He also passed on Damon this year and we could've gotten him back for virtually nothin'.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sweet. The Spanks lost the subway series and both ESPN and MLB Network are referring to the Sox as "surging" after they whooped Halladay and The Phillies (well, 2 -1) the last two games of the series. Watched the Mets/Spanks last night and it broke my heart watching Bay hit two hr's all whilst being pissed we let him go.

Dan's White Sox got killed yesterday by like 13 - 0!!! LMAO!!!

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX View Post
    Sweet. The Spanks lost the subway series and both ESPN and MLB Network are referring to the Sox as "surging" after they whooped Halladay and The Phillies (well, 2 -1) the last two games of the series. Watched the Mets/Spanks last night and it broke my heart watching Bay hit two hr's all whilst being pissed we let him go.

Uh oh. Now the Red Sux fans are coming out of the woodwork.

Thanks for watching. Sorry that we don't watch your games.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX View Post

How Dare You.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_R View Post
    Uh oh. Now the Red Sux fans are coming out of the woodwork.

Thanks for watching. Sorry that we don't watch your games.
    Uh oh, typical Spankmeefan rhetoric about "Uh, you must be a closet Skankfan cos you actually watch other baseball games..." bullshit.

Dude, I get a limited amount of games here and if/when I can watch another team bitchslap A-Roid (I fucking LOATHE that fucker with a passion!!!) and Co. You can bet your ass I'll watch it. Again, I fucking miss Bay!!! I was coinky dinkily wearin' his Ole Numbahh 44 Sox jersey last night as well. Think it helped him knock the two homers outta that park. You're Welcome.

Besides, what else was I going to watch last night, fucking Lost?? lol

You're welcome about my watching your game too buddy and if I help 'em stink even more, I'll watch more of 'em, deal?

Hey, speaking of watching games. Who's kicking the Mighty Rays collective asses at the moment?

No ice cream for you.

Last edited by MAX; 05-24-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a shame that the umpire, Jim Joyce, ruined a perfect game for Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a shame that the umpire, Jim Joyce, ruined a perfect game for Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga.
    Yeah, that sucked.

I mean, they're all bein' classy about the post-game apologies, etc. I'd be pissed.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Selig will not overturn it. It will not go down in history as a perfect game.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    They are saying that Bud has not absolutely said he will not overturn it.

He should.

I see a lot of crap on the net about "They should not overturn it because everyone is human, and we all make mistakes".

BULLSHIT.

The rules of baseball are SPECIFIC.

IF the first baseman catches the ball thrown from another player and tags first base BEFORE the runner gets there, THE RUNNER IS OUT!

PERIOD!

END OF FUCKING STORY!

So what if the ump made a bad call? That does NOT erase the fact that the runner WAS out!!!

I do not post a lot in The Esteemed AlInChans Locker Room, but I am a fan of baseball to some degree.

What is right, is right. That is all there is to it!

Bud Selig needs to overturn the call with no blemish on the record books, and then he needs to institute new rules allowing for instant replay!

The rule books say nothing about umpires changing the rules of the game. The rule books lay out specific rules for the playing of the game, and nobody has the authority to change those rules except the commissioner of baseball, least of all an umpire.

NOW.....as to the positive side of this debacle, both Armando Galarraga (pitcher) and Jim Joyce (umpire) have acted as perfect gentlemen in this whole affair, demonstrating to the world what true sportsmanship and sportsmanlike conduct are.

A USA Today poll shows a majority of fans want the call overturned:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...stant-replay/1

Poll: Fans want umpire's blown call overturned, expanded instant replay
    11:36 AM

Armando Galarraga is willing to overlook the blown call by an umpire that cost him a perfect game, but nearly two-thirds of baseball fans want the play reversed and the Tigers pitcher to have his place in baseball history.

In a USA TODAY/Gallup poll conducted Thursday, 64% of respondents who described themselves as baseball fans said Major League Baseball should overturn umpire Jim Joyce's safe call with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday against the Indians. The poll, which was based on 470 respondents who identified themselves as baseball fans, has a margin of error of 6%

Joyce, a 22-year veteran, admitted he got the call wrong and has apologized to Galarraga, who has forgiven the umpire and turned yet another high-profile umpire gaffe into a feel-good story. "I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said Wednesday. "I would've been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me."

Joyce's reaction has also garnered overwhelming support amongst fans, 84% of whom said they feel sympathetic toward the umpire.

Despites calls to overturn the base hit, Commissioner Bud Selig said in statement Thursday the matter was being reviewed but did not seem inclined to reverse the call. A high-ranking MLB official with knowledge of Selig's plans told USA TODAY the commissioner would not do so. The official requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the matter.

"Given (Wednesday's) call and other recent events, I will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features," Selig said in a statement.

On this point baseball fans agree with Selig. The USA TODAY/Gallup poll found that 78% of people said they believe Major League Baseball should expand the use of replay to include plays such as the one in Galarraga's one-hit shutout victory. The current system, implemented during the 2008 season, only determines whether potential home runs are over the wall or fair or foul.

"When does it stop, when does it start?" Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter said of expanding replay. "Do you have a flag that you throw from the bench for challenges? There are always plays throughout the course of a game that you wish were called the other way, but it comes to the point, where does it start and where does it stop?"

By Peter Barzilai
    One other positive note, the Detroit Tigers and Chevrolet gave a brand new Corvette anyway.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...do-galarraga/1

No perfect game, but GM gives Chevrolet Corvette to Detroit pitcher Armando Galarraga
    08:10 PM

Detroit Tiger players check out the new red Chevrolet Corvette given to Armando Galarraga by General Motors before the Detroit Tigers game Thursday, June 4, 2010 at Comerica Park in Detroit,

By KIRTHMON F. DOZIER, Detroit Free Press
    Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was robbed of a perfect game against the Cleveland Indians Wednesday night, but GM found his performance impressive enough in the Tigers' 3-0 shutout to hand him the keys to a 2010 Chevy Corvette convertible.

That's some consolation prize. But it couldn't be more deserved:

Galarraga retired 26 straight Indians' batters before the 27th and final batter, Jason Donald, stepped to the plate. Donald hit a ground ball between first and second base, which was fielded by Tiger's first baseman Miguel Cabrera. Cabrera threw to Galarraga, who stepped on first base, but umpire Jim Joyce blew the call and said Donald was safe. Galarraga had to settle for a 3-0 shutout.

Shortly after the game ended, Joyce admitted to missing the call at the base, saying, "I just cost that kid a perfect game. I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay. It was the biggest call of my career." The umpire apologized to Galarraga last night.

GM North American President Mark Reuss found the performance impressive enough anyway. No matter what the record books say, Reuss decided Galarraga deserved recognition for his achievement.

One has to wonder what kind of car Galarraga would have gotten for a perfect game.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 06-04-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yanks are on the verge of acquiring Cliff Lee.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Congrats to Nick Swisher for making the All-Star game.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    First no-hitter in Rays history last night. In front of 17,000 fans. :eek:

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cool thread ! I LUVS me sum baseball ! I can't wait to see how the playoffs shake out this year . Been a Die Hard Cards fan since I was a little kid in the '60's . I appreciate baeball history and I have a respect for the game . I check the standings everyday , especially the National League . Looks like it's gonna be a dog fight down to the wire between the Reds and my Cards for the N. L. Central .

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know what sucks about MLB in general nowadays? They won't allow you to listen to baseball games on local stations for free, WTF! Now they have you pay $19.95 a year for gameday audio, FUCK THAT! I can get a satellite radio sports package subscription for almost half that amount.

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yanks are on the verge of acquiring Cliff Lee.
    yeah in 2011..lmao, any of you guys hear of any soon to be transactions?
    ive just been reading up here -
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

EUAS

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by redblkwht View Post
    yeah in 2011..lmao, any of you guys hear of any soon to be transactions?
    ive just been reading up here -
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    Phils may be getting Oswalt.

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Where's Adam Dunn going to end up?

Read the Yanks were sniffing around...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Phillies snatched up Roy Oswalt and he starts TONIGHT vs. the Washington Nationals . The post season push in the N. L. just got that much more intriguing .

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Looks like I was right about the N.L. Central coming down the wire and being a " dogfight " between the Reds and the Cards ! Go Cards !

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bye-bye Boston

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Minus Johnny " Kicks Like A Girl " Cueto and Brandon " I just can't stick enough of my foot in my big mouth " Phillips ,

I'm gonna say " Congradulations " to the Cincinnati Reds for winning the N. L. Central . They did what my underachieving ,

non-deserving Cardinals did not . May the N. L. have success this year .

I won't miss the Boston Red Sox in the playoffs this year because I can't stand the overbloated and incredibly one-sided

East Coast media . We're gonna hear more than enough about the New York Yankees making it and all the reasons why

Boston did not . Sooner than later one of the brilliant ass-kissing national network talking heads will say that there

just isn't that much nationwide interest in the playoffs simply because there will be no New York - Boston

showdown - Boo Hoo Hoo Waa .

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Roy Halladay just threw the second no-hitter in postseason history and the first since 1956. It was Halladay's first playoff game ever.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My playoff prediction for the Division series:

Yanks in 4
    Rays in 5
    Phils in 4
    SF in 5

Go Yankees!!!!

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How Dare You.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Go Yankees!!!!

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Go Yankees!!!!

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Methinks Cliff Lee will get PAID this offseason. Wow.

I had a touching daddy/daughter moment while watching the game last night.

Her - "Who do we want to win?"
    Me - "Texas"
    Her - "But I thought you didn't like Texas"
    Me - "I don't, but I hate the Yankees more. It's kind of like stubbing your toe. You don't like it, but it's better than colon cancer. Texas is only a stubbed toe, while the Yankees, well ... they are ass cancer."
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good on you with the father/daughter moment.

I guess I'd be jealous too if another team had all that success.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dude, I'm a fan of the Mariners and Seahawks. I don't know what "success" means.

P.S. Go Texas!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Major congradulations to the Texas Rangers ( especially ! ) in the A.L. and the San Francisco Giants in the N.L. This will be a most interesting

World Series infused with some much needed and well deserved new blood .

During the Rangers - Yankees series I couldn't help but notice all the announcers were constant Yankees apologists because of the " tragedy "

( they actually said that ) of their losing . Why not give credit where credit is due and just congradulate the Texas Rangers on being the

superior team ? Good Gawd - the self absorbed East Coast media/press makes me ill . When will they realize the rest of the country

is not nearly as enamored with their teams as they think we are ? I can't wait to watch this World Series and may the best team win !

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Wink

What happened to Bob_R?

Hoping for a good series.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know I should be backing Cliff Lee and the Rangers...but there's something keeping me from rolling out the Rangers Welcome Mat just yet...

Cliff Lee is a beast...and he's going to be a Yankee...and it makes me fucking sick...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cliff Lee will have to wait until next year to get his World Championship, when he's a YANKEE!

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    What happened to Bob_R?

Hoping for a good series.
    Been busy bro. Anyway.

I know exactly why the Yanks lost. Last year I hung up a Yankees flag on my house on or around April 1st and they won the World Series. Took it down right around Thanksgiving.

This year I never put it up.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    Cliff Lee is a beast...and he's going to be a Yankee...and it makes me fucking sick...
    I had the pleasure of watching him in a Mariners uniform for the first half of this year. You probably did the same in Cleveland. The guy is incredible. I agree that he'll probably end up in the Bronx, but I'm still clinging to the smallest shred of hope that some other team - ANY other team - will find a way to make him a more attractive offer.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    I had the pleasure of watching him in a Mariners uniform for the first half of this year. You probably did the same in Cleveland. The guy is incredible. I agree that he'll probably end up in the Bronx, but I'm still clinging to the smallest shred of hope that some other team - ANY other team - will find a way to make him a more attractive offer.
    Yeah Shark...he's fucking tenacious. It's ironic...because the same thing that made him the Cy Young winner in 2008...is what sent him to the minors in 2007. He's damn good...the best fucking pitcher in baseball right now...and if he leads Texas to the title, he'll pull in something big...very fucking big...150 or more...

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    Yeah Shark...he's fucking tenacious. It's ironic...because the same thing that made him the Cy Young winner in 2008...is what sent him to the minors in 2007. He's damn good...the best fucking pitcher in baseball right now...and if he leads Texas to the title, he'll pull in something big...very fucking big...150 or more...
    I think Cliff Lee is an excellent pitcher. But, I think Roy Halladay is the best pitcher. Don't get me wrong Lee is awesome and he pitches in the AL. Much better hitting there than the NL.

Thread Information