Thread: David Lee Roth/Alex Van Halen Interview With Jim Ladd, 1980?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Cool David Lee Roth/Alex Van Halen Interview With Jim Ladd, 1980?

This is an excerpt from the now famous Jim Ladd interview that appeared on syndicated radio and in another form, as a segment on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. This is the source of Dave's version of the Humble Pie tune "79th And Sunset", which is included.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1UXx7-NkwDA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1UXx7-NkwDA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

While looking around for more info on this, I discovered this page from the ARMY, obviously from back in the days. Not sure if the links are working (some of this stuff isn't allowed at work), but it is interesting to check out, nonetheless: DLR Audio Interviews
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

BITEYOASS (07-12-2010),Va Beach VH Fan (03-25-2010)

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Cool. Nice to hear a clean version of Dave playin "Real Go Getter".

Dave should do a 8 or 10 song album of just himself singing and him playing acoustic guitar...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked Diamondjimi for this KICKASS post:

indeedido (03-25-2010)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 06:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks!

Damn, thanks man. A reminder of what fun it all was for them back in those days ... I miss that attitude like I miss being young. The two are the same, man. VH (back then) = being young and not giving a damn.

That's the cleanest version of that I've heard yet - Dave's pickin' at the start of the song proper almost sounds like Mississipi John Hurt himself. The version I always had sounded like it was recorded underwater (nth generation tape source probably), and came on a 12" vinyl picture disc - 1984, I think, I bought it.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts

Arr, Jim lad!

Cheers! :bottle:

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

This entire interview is an all-time classic! It was every much of a party as any Van Halen album. It was one of those things you'd put on your stereo when you were burning a few joints and splitting a case of brew with good friends. It's a laugh-a-minute!

Jim Ladd: Which one of you are into raincoats and popcorn?
    Alex: Well, if you go down to the Pussycat Theatre, it's probably appropriate....
    Roth: ...the trouble with "Dirty Movies" and things of this nature...are that when you go to them, I understand you catch bugs from the seats.....now...I have never....Ever...gone to a place of this nature...but I have HEARD from a friend! (laughter) that when you go to these places....the best way to get rid of them, is like you say, with pocorn and raincoats.....and what you do....is go down to the Pussycat Theatre....wear nothing but the raincoat....order yourself a barrel of hot greasy butter popcorn and put the whole salt-shaker of salt on the pocorn...order yourself an extra-large rootbeer...then, go into the theatre, go down to the front-row, get the exact center seat, and sit down.
    eat half the pocorn, drink the rootbeer....then open up the raincoat, pour the popcorn all over yourself....and when the bugs get up to go get a rootbeer....change seats!!

LMAO!

The entire interview is a timeless classic! It was just good humor, and you didn't necessarily have to be a fan of the band and their music to enjoy it, but to me, it captured the essence of the band they used to be. Just a good-time party!

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 06:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    This entire interview is an all-time classic! It was every much of a party as any Van Halen album. It was one of those things you'd put on your stereo when you were burning a few joints and splitting a case of brew with good friends. It's a laugh-a-minute!

Jim Ladd: Which one of you are into raincoats and popcorn?
    Alex: Well, if you go down to the Pussycat Theatre, it's probably appropriate....
    Roth: ...the trouble with "Dirty Movies" and things of this nature...are that when you go to them, I understand you catch bugs from the seats.....now...I have never....Ever...gone to a place of this nature...but I have HEARD from a friend! (laughter) that when you go to these places....the best way to get rid of them, is like you say, with pocorn and raincoats.....and what you do....is go down to the Pussycat Theatre....wear nothing but the raincoat....order yourself a barrel of hot greasy butter popcorn and put the whole salt-shaker of salt on the pocorn...order yourself an extra-large rootbeer...then, go into the theatre, go down to the front-row, get the exact center seat, and sit down.
    eat half the pocorn, drink the rootbeer....then open up the raincoat, pour the popcorn all over yourself....and when the bugs get up to go get a rootbeer....change seats!!

LMAO!

The entire interview is a timeless classic! It was just good humor, and you didn't necessarily have to be a fan of the band and their music to enjoy it, but to me, it captured the essence of the band they used to be. Just a good-time party!
    Yes - it is. Does anyone have a good quality copy of it? After reading the first post or two on this thread yesterday I followed through to the old rotharmy audio links - all dead now. But, I googled one of the interviews and found it online. What a riot - you gotta check it out:

Rockline - Episode 1 - Van Halen (1984), an episode of Paisley's Pirate Podcast @ podcast.com

Dave is on top form - and I think they have a stripper in the radio studio. At one point there is an announcement by the DJ - he doesn;t say much else (can't get a word in) of the winner of an Ozzy Osborne 'Bark at the Moon' contest, and Dave yelps out in the background (around about 11;00 - 11:45) - in a hicksville southern accent - "imagine that, goin' to see Ozzy Osbourne and all the fellas right there on stage playin' scary music"!!!

They are taking calls and some guy phones in and says, "what I wanna ask is what kinda drugs are y'all on there ...."

9. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (03-26-2010)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

I love hearing Dave play guitar. It's always fun when he does it live and seeing some fans trip out because they didn't know Dave could play.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Is Ladd still around ???

Thread Information