Thread: It was 30 years ago today....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

It was 30 years ago today....

Van Halen releases its third album, Women And Children First. Nicolette Larson lends her vocal alents to the chorus of "Could This Be Magic?" (Two years earlier, Eddie had played on Nicolette's debut album though he is uncredited for his solo on "Can't Get Away From You"). WACF includes a 3-foot poster of a half-naked David Lee Roth, wearing leather pants while posing wrist-bound to a chain link fence. This album was recorded in seventeen days and released on 3/26/80. 4.3 million copies have been sold in the U.S. It reached #6 on the U.S. charts (4/19/80) and #15 on the U.K. charts (4/06/80). It was certified gold on 5/29/80, platinum on 6/02/80, double platinum on 10/22/84, and triple platinum on 8/04/94. The album was remastered and rereleased on 9/19/00. Parts of this album were recorded on an Ibanez Destroyer borrowed from Chris Holmes of W.A.S.P. One version of the album was released on a special cassette form along with Fair Warning. Included in the album (reportedly only the first million pressings) was a three-foot black and white poster of David Lee Roth, bound to a chain-link fence. The photograph was taken by famed fashion photographer Helmut Newton. It was used for shock value. Dave didn't want fans to think they had a handle on the band. Surprisingly Newton did not charge Roth for the photo session, only for the supplies used by Newton's assistants. This was the first album Van Halen went into the studio to record for unprepared, prompting the band to revive songs from their early demo tapes which was something Edward wasn't happy doing. In 1995 a collection of unused material from this album was leaked to the public in the form of a bootleg recording titled Women and Children First Studio Sessions. These recordings revealed an instrumental with a strong bass line that was not used on this or any other Van Halen album. The album's title came from Dave. One morning, after a typical Van Halen-style rampage, Dave awoke to distant screams of, "The ship is sinking!" Dave replied, "Women and Children First!" The phrase stuck.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In 1995 a collection of unused material from this album was leaked to the public in the form of a bootleg recording titled Women and Children First Studio Sessions. These recordings revealed an instrumental with a strong bass line that was not used on this or any other Van Halen album.
    This instrumental track is known as "Act Like It Hurts".

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d_nwqqly99o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d_nwqqly99o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And then there's the "unreleased" VH/Nicolette Larson collaboration.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FsxPxGmeL7Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FsxPxGmeL7Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just remembered - I have some cassettes to send Wooda!

Thanks to him I have the original 8-Track Tape song order in my CD trunk changer.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I must say, I think that Romeo Delight is one of the greatest VH tunes ever...

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    And then there's the "unreleased" VH/Nicolette Larson collaboration.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FsxPxGmeL7Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FsxPxGmeL7Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    never heard this, great! thanks!
    http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great album. Strong set of songs...not a dud in the lot, says I.
    Jeez, thirty years...I was a lowly seventh grader when this hit the streets.
    Thanks for the actual title of the end instrumental. I never knew that.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Romeo is on top of the list. Great album !! A little weird at times. I wish Bullet Head would have made this album. Van Halens best unreleased tune.

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is what I get for not reading the post all the way through...'Growth' is the instrumental at the end of the album, 'Act Like It Hurts' was an unused instrumental from demos of WACF...I'm on the same page, now!
    Bullethead, I know nothing of...was this ever a studio demo, or was it an unreleased tune that the band only performed live?
    That massive 4 disc 'Looney Tunes' unreleased comp has it listed, but I believe it was from a Starwood gig.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by tojoro; 04-05-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post

WACF includes a 3-foot poster of a half-naked David Lee Roth, wearing leather pants while posing wrist-bound to a chain link fence.
    THIS right here is the problem with CD's versus vinyl. My copy is a whopping 5x7 inches. Life is not fair.

Oh dear.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow, other than KISS albums, WACF was my first hard rock purchase. Picked it up at a dept. store called COOKS. Geez, I was 12 years old. Judas Priest-British Steel was my second. 1980 was a good year.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Id like to see a Night Of Van Halen. MTV show. Ya know? A celebrity gig. More like what Metallica had. Other bands perform. People "roast" the band. Fuck that'd be cool.

That be great before they're all dead.
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Instead of celebrating their career and legacy Edward Van Halen chooses to do FUCK ALL!!!
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    the worst part, is that he KNOWS what we want. He dangles it from an impossible reach. The unreleased material. Some new music. Some covers, some new videos, some archived shit.

and he makes it about him. His name. His son. His legacy. I wonder when he stopped playing for fun?

and if dave did sign some sort of gag order for a piece of $100,ooo,ooo I don't blame him. gag orders dont last forever...

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3kCj0VfD22o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3kCj0VfD22o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TJUi8saSMM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5TJUi8saSMM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5TJUi8saSMM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uAdWyYtzopM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uAdWyYtzopM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BigTroubles, I don't think these cuts you provided came on WACF.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Troubles View Post
    the worst part, is that he KNOWS what we want. He dangles it from an impossible reach. The unreleased material. Some new music. Some covers, some new videos, some archived shit.

and he makes it about him. His name. His son. His legacy. I wonder when he stopped playing for fun?
    You are kidding, right? Do you honestly believe that while knowing what his fans want, the diabolical Edward Van Halen instead offers guitar straps (that do not quite work), picks (that you'd normally find in the music section at K Mart), striped, revisionist history wah-wah pedals, and hot rods in Arizona every year? Edward dangles everything short of the kitchen sink out there, whenever his new wife wishes to re-do a room in their home. It would seem that the guy is simply too empty-headed to realize that what his fans want is not the trappings of what makes music, it is that very music itself. At this point, even archived footage of long ago concerts would be a welcome addition to the band's legacy. Instead, the fans get designer tennis shoes by this "so-called" great artist, because today, "It's what I use". Swell...you too can own the quality footware that this nitwit wears as he walks to the mailbox to pick up the royalty checks supporting his once worthwhile career.

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's also the day they released "The Blues Brothers".

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I still have the vinyl..with the poster inside the sleeve.

IT WAS VAN HALEN AS IT SHOULD BE REMEMBERED.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So do I...

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    BigTroubles, I don't think these cuts you provided came on WACF.

ya i know...lol I got carried away...

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Swell...you too can own the quality footware that this nitwit wears as he walks to the mailbox to pick up the royalty checks supporting his once worthwhile career.
    EVH= <object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-BYzaDwNoE&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x9 99999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-BYzaDwNoE&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x9 99999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was odd that tune wound up in an AmEx commercial...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    This instrumental track is known as "Act Like It Hurts".

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d_nwqqly99o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d_nwqqly99o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Micheal Anthony is a much better bassist than he gets credit for...

Ed's great, but he's like Mommy Fucking Dearest when it comes to the music...

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mike's a good bass player, just bad business partner it seems.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Troubles View Post
    Mike's a good bass player, just bad business partner it seems.
    Mike is lucky.

Thread Information