Apartment living, loud neighbors (Advice needed)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guitar Shark
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

It could be worse. You could be Steve Savicki.
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
      It could be worse. You could be Steve Savicki.

There but for the grace of God go I......
      Originally posted by Kristy
      Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
      Originally posted by cadaverdog
      I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
        So I have some neighbors that live below me. They are clearly college students...Anyone have advice that doesn't involve vandalism or an ass-whooping?
        Move to a better apartment complex, or buy a house. On the face of it, that sounds sarcastic and simplistic. But let's face it, if you are staying at a joint affordable to college kids (who are going to school and working), then perhaps your living accommodations could be upgraded. Yes, it's going to cost you more. That's what you pay for, as piece of mind comes with a cost.

And if you ultimately can not afford to move, then you are going to have to live with it. You are not going to change the behavior of the people who are merely renting near you, and taking a bunch of complicated legal steps doesn't truly sound worth the effort if you are merely renting.

I mean, come on here...Do you really think the landlord is going to care of your complaints or concerns? If anything, he'd be happy to see you leave, just to get you out of his hair and let him rent your place to another set of kids that haven't been on the planet long enough to know that they should expect better.

Yeah, it sucks, and I've been there myself. But outside of calling the cops every evening and potentially making yourself the target of retribution, you really do not have a handful of other options here. Just be thankful you aren't living in a ghastly condo someplace, where a private board sets absurd rules for behavior. Believe me, owning a house is much better of an option when it comes to neighbors. At least there, you have some recourse as well as the law on your side when things happen. Until then, you are more or less stuck.

That probably isn't the answer that most suits your needs, but it also is about the only realistic option you have. Get out of there, and quit throwing away your money every month.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Igosplut
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I liked my way better.....
          Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
            Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Hey I lost my house over this shit. Don't give into the "just move to get away from it" mentality. If you like it there, fight. I walked away and the idiot bimbo psycho decided I was OK on the day the truck pulled out. This bitch was 1/3 responsible for completely destroying my life.

Oh dear.

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

The poster is living in an apartment, where you do not have rights that home ownership provides. More often than not, if you complain, you become the problem. Yes, there is a certain "just move to get away from it" mentality in place here. It's also known by the better name common sense.
              Last edited by chefcraig; 03-30-2010, 04:26 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Shoes, Sensible
                This bitch was 1/3 responsible for completely destroying my life.
                I have to ask.......

Who/what is responsible for the other 2/3rds?

Don't answer if you dont want to. Just curious, as you dont seem like the "destroyed" type.

At least not in comparison to some others here.....

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  The poster is living in an apartment. You do not have rights that home ownership provides. ].
                  Therein lies the rub......

You have moe rights as an owner, but also much more at stake with regards to simply moving.

It's a renter's market right now. Most houses can be had for what an apt costs.

At least renting a house affords you much more privacy, and no shared walls.

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

If those college kids are living off daddy's expenses, the apartment might not be what you are picturing it to be.......
                    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                      PLEXI or JCM Justice !!!!
                      It was Mesa-Boogie Justice in my case...same result... totally out-assholed the asshole neighbors...

I still would've loved to see the look on their faces when their loud-ass hip-hop was suddenly, completely drowned out... :eek:
                      Originally posted by conmee
                      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                      Originally posted by eddie78
                      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                        Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                        I have to ask.......

Who/what is responsible for the other 2/3rds?

Don't answer if you dont want to. Just curious, as you dont seem like the "destroyed" type.

At least not in comparison to some others here.....
                        Actually, thanks for that - I'm glad I don't come off as destroyed.

In fact, I am probably responsible for 100 percent of it. But the other things I was running away from? One was a gay boss with a vendetta for me, all going on within a bankrupt company being run by a hedge fund intent on running off all employees making more than 25K a year. The other was a bad relationship.

Oh dear.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

Well I have quite seriously been considering barter, if you know what I mean, but my self image is such these days that I'd seriously check out the realities of this situation before you sign on.

On top of this, I don't have a house.
                          Hey, who needs a house?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Move to a better apartment complex, or buy a house. On the face of it, that sounds sarcastic and simplistic. But let's face it, if you are staying at a joint affordable to college kids (who are going to school and working)....
                            Or selling drugs and stealing shit while using college as an excuse...

Comment

• Dr. Love
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Move to a better apartment complex, or buy a house. On the face of it, that sounds sarcastic and simplistic. But let's face it, if you are staying at a joint affordable to college kids (who are going to school and working), then perhaps your living accommodations could be upgraded. Yes, it's going to cost you more. That's what you pay for, as piece of mind comes with a cost.
                              I guess it wasn't clear from an earlier post -- these kids go to SMU. I live in Luxury Apartments (the rate for these apartments is $1800/month and up, the unit that I'm in and that the people under me are in being roughly $2400).

Mommy and Daddy are paying for these kids apartment. They are most certainly not working.

And if you ultimately can not afford to move, then you are going to have to live with it. You are not going to change the behavior of the people who are merely renting near you, and taking a bunch of complicated legal steps doesn't truly sound worth the effort if you are merely renting.
                              I intend to, once my lease is up ... in August.

I mean, come on here...Do you really think the landlord is going to care of your complaints or concerns? If anything, he'd be happy to see you leave, just to get you out of his hair and let him rent your place to another set of kids that haven't been on the planet long enough to know that they should expect better.
                              These are some of the only kids I've ever seen in the complex. The normal tenants come from a higher paygrade (combined income in the 6 figure area) and the vast majority are polite and well-behaved.

I suspect given the reputation of the place and the type of tenants they are wanting to attract, they are more interested in keeping me than they are in keeping those kids. Especially since anyone that replaces me here will likely be a lot LESS understanding of the noise.

I mean, bear in mind that while most apartments have community bbq parties, mine has wine-tasting and botox soirees. It really is not a kid's apartment complex. Most people that live here are older, some have grandchildren, some never did, and most are from the professional class.

Yeah, it sucks, and I've been there myself. But outside of calling the cops every evening and potentially making yourself the target of retribution, you really do not have a handful of other options here. Just be thankful you aren't living in a ghastly condo someplace, where a private board sets absurd rules for behavior. Believe me, owning a house is much better of an option when it comes to neighbors. At least there, you have some recourse as well as the law on your side when things happen. Until then, you are more or less stuck.
                              Not interested in buying right now. Just got engaged, when I get married later this year it may be something I'll consider. But given where my job is, these apartments are in a perfect location (5 minutes away) if expensive. Part of the reason I chose this place is that the price is prohibitive to most people that I don't care to deal with.

That probably isn't the answer that most suits your needs, but it also is about the only realistic option you have. Get out of there, and quit throwing away your money every month.
                              It's all about time. And I don't consider it throwing away my money for the vast majority of positives I get.

They're throwing another party downstairs, but as long as he cuts it out by midnight, we'll be fine. If he continues after midnight, I'll call the cops and complain. He gets three strikes and then he'll be evicted, from what I understand. He's already got 1 strike against him.
                              I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• GAR
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2004

All I have to mute are barking dogs.
                                I knew a chick you yiped like a dog once!

Do you enjoy Italian cuisine and long walks on the beach..

Comment

Working...