X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

It was 29 years ago today....

I was a junior in high school, had just come home from school, turned on the TV, and saw this;

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDIVheB5kIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDIVheB5kIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It wasn't for quite a while after it happened did we realize how close Reagan came to dying that day....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Remember it well.

18 and living in my first apartment across from Green Lake.

Felt sorry how James and Sara Brady were treated in the aftermath with regards to The Brady Bill.

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

The two things I remember most about that day were Alexander Haig calming the nation by stating that he was now in charge (somehow miraculously jumping up two places in the line of succession), and ABC's Frank Reynolds having a meltdown on nationwide tv over some dubious reporting.

I'm pretty sure that James Brady recalls things a bit differently, though.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

That's right.... Didn't they erroneous say that Brady had died ??

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
          That's right.... Didn't they erroneous say that Brady had died ??
          Yeah, it was a mess. Reynolds was a close friend of the family, so you can imagine his outrage and anguish now. At the time however, it was really disquieting to people.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Satan
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Alexander Haig, that son of a bitch.....

He hadn't been in Hell for even an hour before he called a press conference and told the media he was "in control here".

I doubt he'll try that again, since I gave him 666 days of pooper scooper duty in the dragon barn.
            Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
            I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Gotta love Haig for his "I'm throwing my helmet into the ring" campaign kickoff.

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                Gotta love Haig for his "I'm throwing my helmet into the ring" campaign kickoff.

Say what you will about the guy, but he was dead-on in his assessment and complaints about George H. W. Bush. Unfortunately, it only took nearly a couple of decades for him to be proven correct.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Satan
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Perhaps General Haig knew of the BCE - Hinkley family connections even then. I'll have to remember to ask him about that.
                  Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                  I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

We really need to start a game of SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION FROM THE BCE

Bet I could get there in 4

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Satan
                      Perhaps General Haig knew of the BCE - Hinkley family connections even then. I'll have to remember to ask him about that.
                      Of course Haig knew about Bush's shady history, hell it was his campaign platform. I vividly remember him calling out the Bush for his role in Iran Contra, among other things.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• kwame k
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Feb 2008

I remember the aftermath with all the crazy reports about Hinkley and his obsession with Jodie Foster and Taxi Driver.....can you imagine being Jodie and having to deal with all the media attention.

Brady was a tragedy but people often forget two other people were injured. Thomas Delahanty and Tim McCarthy were also shot. Delahanty had to retire due to his injuries.

I remember Haig's douche bag remarks and how he tried to spin into he meant he was in charge at the White House until Bush got there.....fucking moron.
                        Originally posted by vandeleur
                        E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                          and ABC's Frank Reynolds having a meltdown on nationwide tv over some dubious reporting.

Fast forward to about the 4:10 mark here. Weird. Brings back the memories of that day.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aGUrBfp8G2Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aGUrBfp8G2Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

And ya gotta have some Ted Koppel....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h1Ek9jQmV1c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h1Ek9jQmV1c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Always loved Nightline.

The irony here is it was started to track the Iranian Hostages' treatment, and progress getting them released.

Which was accomplished by Ronnie cutting a deal trading them for Arms

Comment

Working...