Thread: Rice Says History Will Rank Bush With Roosevelt, Churchill...

Skills That Thrill
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Rice Says History Will Rank Bush With Roosevelt, Churchill...

Bush will rank high, Rice says

Security chief believes he will be compared with Roosevelt and Churchill

By Bob Deans, Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- As President Bush begins a week of foreign diplomacy, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice insists that he will one day rank alongside such towering pillars of 20th century statecraft as President Franklin D. Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.
    "Statesmanship has to be judged first and foremost by whether you recognize historic opportunities and seize them," Rice said in an interview with Cox Newspapers.

"When you think of statesmen, you think of people who seized historic opportunities to change the world for the better, people like Roosevelt, people like Churchill, and people like Truman, who understood the challenges of communism. And this president has been an agent of change for the better -- historic change for the better."

Her assessment, as Bush leaves Thursday for Europe, stands in stark contrast to the election-year critiques of the president's political opponents and many policy analysts. They charge that he has pursued a go-it-alone approach to diplomacy that has strained U.S. alliances and divided world opinion rather than uniting it.

"The United States has been dismissive of our allies," said Samuel "Sandy" Berger, who served as national security adviser under President Clinton and now is advising Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., who is challenging Bush for the White House. "There's not been much diplomacy in this administration."

Nor has the criticism come just from Democrats.

"The diplomacy is deficient," Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Richard Lugar, R-Ind., told reporters recently. Looking around the world, he said, "Not many people agree with us or like us or, for that matter, are prepared to work with us."

Rice chalked up such criticism as the price for leadership amid turmoil.

It was Bush, she said, who first recognized "that it was time to stop mumbling about the need for a Palestinian state" and spoke out in favor of a two-state solution to the decades-old Arab-Israeli conflict.

She said Bush is engaged in a "classical American role" by trying to rally international support for efforts to help shift the Arab and Muslim worlds toward democracy and economic integration in ways meant to undermine the roots of militant Islam.

She praised the invasion Bush ordered that toppled the Taliban regime in Afghanistan, where Rice said democracy is taking root and "women are being schooled, not beaten, where people are planting their crops and building their stores and building their homes without fear of being whipped in a public stadium."

And she insisted that in Iraq, the outcome would justify the difficulty and sacrifice of a mission that has left 812 American troops dead and another 4,882 wounded since March 2003.

"The Iraqi people now have a chance to build a free and democratic Iraq, which will make a huge difference in creating a different kind of Middle East," said Rice. "And, unless you create a different kind of Middle East, unless you deal with the circumstances that produced the ideologies of hatred that led people to fly airplanes into buildings in New York and Washington on September the 11th, we are never going to be able to fully deal with the terrorist threat."

Critics point out that the alleged Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, upon which Bush based his case for war, have yet to be found. At one point during the interview late Tuesday, Rice was asked whether the administration misjudged the challenge in Iraq or has anything to apologize for regarding the mission to topple the regime of Saddam Hussein.

"I feel badly that the Iraqi people had to live under that monster for as long as they did," she replied.

"We can let history judge what tactical things might have been done differently here or there, what decisions might have been taken that were different here or there," said Rice.

"But historic times tend to be pretty turbulent, and what you have to do is to get the direction right, the strategic direction right...What history will judge is that the strategic decision here was the right decision."

STORY CAN END HERE. OPTIONAL ADD FOLLOWS

Bush leaves Thursday for a week of intensive diplomacy centered around securing international support for efforts to stabilize and rebuild Iraq and to nurse its fledgling political life toward democratic elections in January.

He goes first to Rome, where he will meet with Pope John Paul II and Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. Bush travels Saturday to Paris, where he will be hosted by President Jacques Chirac, an opponent of the Iraq war. And on Sunday Bush goes to Normandy to mark the 60th anniversary of the D-Day invasion that opened U.S. and Allied efforts to liberate Europe from Nazi occupation.

From there, Bush travels to Sea Island, Ga., to host the annual summit of leaders from the so-called Group of Eight industrialized democracies: the United States, Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and Russia.

The flurry of diplomatic activity will cast Bush in an election-year role most presidents savor -- that of American statesman-in-chief. It will also provide his reelection campaign with fresh images of Bush touching down in world capitals aboard Air Force One, then leading his big-power counterparts in Sea Island summitry, amid a pitched presidential battle analysts expect to be heavily influenced by national security policy and foreign affairs.

From the presidential campaign trail, Kerry has blasted Bush's stewardship of foreign policy, accusing his administration of a "failed approach" in Iraq.

"They looked to force before exhausting diplomacy. They bullied when they should have persuaded. They have gone it alone when they should have assembled a team," Kerry told supporters in a campaign speech last week. Bush, Kerry summed up, "has divided the world instead of uniting it."

In the 40-minute interview in her West Wing office, Rice presented a vigorous and at times passionate rebuttal. She argued that Bush has embraced the challenges and opportunities the country has faced since being attacked by terrorists three years ago.

"If you ask yourself what has been the response of this president to the fundamentally changed environment in which we find ourselves after September the 11th, on just about every front that you could name he has been someone who has recognized historic opportunities and seized them," Rice concluded. "Statesmanship is judged by whether you can do that and by historical outcomes, not by the day's headlines."

Bob Deans may be e-mailed at bobdeans(at)coxnews.com

http://www.trivalleyherald.com/Stori...189429,00.html
    ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Condi's a little delusional where her husban... er uhh.. the pResident is concerned.

Junior will be compared with a historical figure of the 1940's alright. But it won't be Truman, Roosevelt, or Churchill.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Condi on crack or Condi on her back? I think we can chalk this comment up to both.

Mezro...when the circus comes to town George W likes to chow down on some sticky cotton Condi
    Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I always figured Bush would rank in history with oh, I dunno... Rutherford Hayes and Benjamin Harrison.
    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Ford's Daddy
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nah, he'll rank high. Up with Reagan.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by John Ashcroft
    As long as the category is "delusional incompetent failures who bankrupted the country", probably so.

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by John Ashcroft

They are high on the list. :confused:

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd have put him level with Liberace and Coco The Clown.

Roosevelt and Churchill were great orators and thinkers who understood the world because they had lived through vast amounts of change and had a wide range of experience. George Bush is about 0.5% of the man of either of them.
    Originally posted by flappo
    i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
    translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Ford's Daddy
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And yet many of you brits want to embrace a Neville Chamberlain model of national security...

Interesting.

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hahaha, not me.

I'm all for the Winston Churchill attitude but Mr Bush is a long, long, long way short of being such a man.

Whilst we're on the subject of appeasement/national security if you read a history book you might just find your own countrys' policy pre-December 7th 1941 wasn't exactly rock solid.

Interesting.

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale

Whilst we're on the subject of appeasement/national security if you read a history book you might just find your own countrys' policy pre-December 7th 1941 wasn't exactly rock solid.
    The US policy was one of strict isolationism, however we knew we would eventually be drawn in.

Isolationism doesn't work. I believe the war would have been over sooner had we got involved sooner.

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    True, it was a policy of isolationism not appeasement but if you look at the national security pre-December 1941 in terms of equipment and physical size you didn't have a particularly strong military.

Oddly enough the largest and most powerful army in the world in 1940 was that of France, even Stalin thought they would defeat any German attack.

Just goes to show what poor tactics and leadership can do.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    20 years down the road when the fog has cleared and the sky is still in the sky, Bush will be in high regard...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ELVIS
    20 years down the road when the fog has cleared and the sky is still in the sky, Bush will be in high regard...
    Thanks to all the environmental protection slashed by the BCE, you won't be able to see the sky 20 years down the road.

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just goes to show what poor tactics and leadership can do.
    Great point.

I was at my great aunt's house last night to show her my pictures of the new WWII memorial. We talked about the war for quite some time. Both my grandfather and great Uncle were in the South Pacific during the war.

She said the first year and a half, two years were very, very scary. It seemed we were losing. However, once all of the factories got up and going, things seem change in both attitude and actual results.

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Interesting.
    Exactly. Again, those fuckin' Democrats were in the White House. You just can't give 'em the keys to anything, can you? They'll run your ass off the damned road.
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Weren't the Republicans pre-Pearl Harbor even more isolationist? If my memory serves me right the books I've read suggest the Republicans weren't prepared to get involved at all - not even the limited support offered by Roosevelt.

Mind you back then politics was a much more gentlemanly affair and we'd have had none of this "my dads stronger than your dad" nonsense that fills up these pages.

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    20 years down the road I hope both the US and UK get some decent politicians cos' the current crop are a right bunch of wankers.

If the press is to be believed Bush and Kerry both seem involved in one form of corruption or another. Whatever you say about either of them Clinton and Reagan were both respected on the world stage.

Meanwhile in the UK we haven't had anyone with any balls since Maggie... and technically she didn't have any.

diamond den™
    Maggie....

is a hero.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I would have Bush any day rather than Thatcher...

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Put it this way she'd have made sure British troops went out there properly equipped and there would have been a plan in place to sort out the country as opposed to the "ooh er, the natives are getting a bit restless" strategy the "coallition" has.

...and she'd have smacked Condie with her handbag for the Churchill comment.
    Last edited by Mr Grimsdale; 06-06-2004 at 06:13 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thatcher is a deluded tyranical witch who will be dead soon.

Fulfee Perferlert
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So you'll be voting Tory in the European elections then.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ha...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What the fuck is this, "National Necroposting Week"??

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Keep it on topic FORD or Fuck OFF

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Everything I say in this forum is on topic, Gunt.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Caught on tape.... official conversation beween Chimpy & Condi.....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3S0Fj3B_ll0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3S0Fj3B_ll0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    it's funny to see the moronic shit these people said before everyone figured out what was going on.
    gnaw on it

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    She's trying to raise public opinion of him. His statements of this passed week have proven that he no longer knows what to do in Iraq. Before Congress changed, he had "yes" men following him around. Now, some serious study of what's going on in Iraq are putting him in a place where he's beginning to see the other side of how Iraq isn't as rosey as his "followers" were telling him.

It's funny to me that the very same circumstances that caused Saddam to fall is happening to the very man who "dethroned" him. Ironic somehow.

Bush will be touted as a good statesman by the politicians. Ron Regan was raked over serious coals during his Administration. Public opinion of him was such that even music parodied him and not in a good way. Yet at his funeral he was called all sorts of greatness.
    "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Um, ell.........

This was a thread from 2-1/2 years ago, hun.

Why Sesh bumped it is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Seshmeister
    I would have Bush any day rather than Thatcher...
    So Sesh, what do you think now?

BTW, this was a funny article. When did Condi start writing for The Onion?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    She's getting her chocolate pudding stirred and it's not Bill Cosby doing it. A monkey named George W. has been into the Wang Dang Sweet Poontang again.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by LoungeMachine
    Um, ell.........

This was a thread from 2-1/2 years ago, hun.

Why Sesh bumped it is beyond me.
    I thought it was funny.

Just like Blair running around trying to save his legacy.

Both of them will be remembered for creating the most stupid fucked mess ever.

Cheers!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    So Sesh, what do you think now?

BTW, this was a funny article. When did Condi start writing for The Onion?
    Personally I stand by it.

For Scotland at least Thatcher was a spectacular cunt domestically.

It would be too boring to go through all the reasons why here.

Cheers!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Of course he will. His corporate cronies (especially the oil biz) will probably erect a statue in his honor.

"It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it." --George W. Bush, Reuters, May 5, 2000
    Last edited by blueturk; 12-22-2006 at 06:02 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    'The sky is still in the sky?'

ELVIS is fluent in Bushspeak.

Thread Information