Thread: Obama: Americans to Mars within his lifetime

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Obama: Americans to Mars within his lifetime

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – President Barack Obama predicted Thursday his new space exploration plan would lead Americans beyond the moon and to Mars within his lifetime. "I expect to be around to see it," he declared.

Obama's bold prediction was an answer to critics, including several former astronauts, that his changes would deal a staggering blow to the nation's manned space program.

Speaking at the Kennedy Space Center, where America's moon missions originated decades ago, Obama said he was "100 percent committed to the mission of NASA and its future." He outlined plans for federal spending to bring more private companies into space exploration following the soon-to-end space shuttle program.

"We want to leap into the future," not continue on the same path as before, Obama said as he sought to reassure NASA workers that America's space adventures would soar on despite the termination of shuttle flights.

Obama acknowledged criticism for his drastic changes to the space agency's direction. But, he said, "The bottom line is: Nobody is more committed to manned space flight, the human exploration of space, than I am. But we've got to do it in a smart way; we can't keep doing the same old things as before."

Obama said that by 2025, the nation would have a new spacecraft "designed for long journeys to allow us to begin the first-ever crewed missions beyond the moon into deep space."
    "We'll start by sending astronauts to an asteroid for the first time in history. By the mid-2030s, I believe we can send humans to orbit Mars and return them safely to Earth. And a landing on Mars will follow," he said.

Obama said the space program is not a luxury but a necessity for the nation.
    He noted that the Kennedy Space Center has inspired the nation and the world for half a century. He said NASA represents what it means to be American — "reaching for new heights and reaching for what's possible" — and is not close to its final days.

Obama sought to explain why he aborted President George W. Bush's return-to-the moon plan in favor of a complicated system of public-and-private flights that would go elsewhere in space, with details still to be worked out.

"We've been there before," Obama said of the nation's moon landings decades ago. "There's a lot more of space to explore."

He said his administration would support continued manned exploration of space "not just with dollars, but with clear aims and a larger purpose."

The Obama space plan relies on private companies to fly to the space station, giving them almost $6 billion to build their own rockets and ships. It also extends the space station's life by five years and puts billions into research to eventually develop new government rocket ships for future missions to a nearby asteroid, to the moon, to Martian moons or other points in space. Those stops would be stepping stones on an eventual mission to Mars itself.

Link
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is good news......since we are a nation of explorers this is awesome.

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree. Definitely a good use of all the money we have sitting around collecting dust.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Geez, BF with a negative view, who would of thought.

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who's negative? I'm serious. Since we've already solved all the problems on earth, like cancer and homelessness...what else are we going to do with all this time and money on our hands? Let's go be trillion dollar space tourists! Big pimping, for sure.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's probably what your pappy said when JFK made his speech about going to the moon.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Even though I'd love nothing more to use this as an opportunity to rip on Barry some more, I cannot. I mean going to Mars would be ok but I don't see the point with everything else as fucked up as it is? I think we should try fixing where we reside before we venture off and start fucking up another planet with platinum credit cards and sneakers with lights in 'em. JMHO.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    That's probably what your pappy said when JFK made his speech about going to the moon.
    I don't think my pappy or your pappy has anything to do with Obama or Mars. But if you're asking me what I think about going to the moon, I think NASA has been an obscene multi-trillion dollar money pit. But I did get to touch a moon rock in the Air & Space Museum, and that was just cool as shit.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He's talking about private companies taking up some of the slack and I agree when we are struggling as a nation and money could be spent elsewhere...... but exploration is what made us what we are and exploring space can reap benefits, too.

Imagine the first country that finds life on another planet or a habitable planet.

The other thing is about minerals, companies are already looking into mining the moon.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So, there's oil on Mars?
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No, if that was the case we would of invaded it during Bush's term

Can't find the exact article about it but here's one..........
    Scientists in the US and Russia have discovered a new mineral in a rock from the Moon. The mineral - which they have called "hapkeite" - is made of iron and silicon, and was probably formed by the impact of micrometeorites on the lunar surface. The result sheds new light on how soil can be formed on airless bodies in the Solar System, like the Moon and Mercury (M Anand et al. 2004 Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 101 6847).
    Link

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    they have also made great strides in the swimming habits of tadpoles out there. w.....t.....f....?

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstud...pace_9-12.html
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Believe me I'm not defending all the waste that they have done in the past but exploration and discoveries are part of human nature.

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So is war. Let China go explore Mars, and we can loan them the money to do it.

Man, I hate China. During the olympics, there was a big Tibet/anti-china protest here in Yakima, and I showed up with my "China is Dogshit" sign. There were Chinamen everywhere.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackflag View Post
    Who's negative? I'm serious. Since we've already solved all the problems on earth, like cancer and homelessness...what else are we going to do with all this time and money on our hands? Let's go be trillion dollar space tourists! Big pimping, for sure.
    You do know that the world wide web that allows you to make that post came from research into particle physics at CERN?

People like you would have been against the space race in the 1960s which now allows people like you to have GPS and everything else.

In fact fuck it I'll look it up for you.

NASA Spinoffs with Practical Applications

Under the Space Act of 1958, NASA has had a mandate to share all the information it has gained with the public. Here are a few of the practical applications that have resulted from technologies and information learned by space scientists:

* CAT scans
    * MRIs
    * Kidney dialysis machines
    * Heart defibrillator technology
    * Remote robotic surgery
    * Artificial heart pump technology
    * Physical therapy machines
    * Positron emission tomography
    * Microwave receivers used in scans for breast cancer
    * Cardiac angiography
    * Monitoring neutron activity in the brain
    * Cleaning techniques for hospital operating rooms
    * Portable x-ray technology for neonatal offices and 3rd world countries
    * Freeze-dried food
    * Water purification filters
    * ATM technology
    * Pay at the Pump satellite technology
    * Athletic shoe manufacturing technique
    * Insulation barriers for autos
    * Image-processing software for crash-testing automobiles
    * Holographic testing of communications antennas
    * Low-noise receivers
    * Cordless tools
    * A computer language used by businesses such as car repair shops, Kodak, hand-held computers, express mail
    * Aerial reconnaissance and Earth resources mapping
    * Airport baggage scanners
    * Distinction between natural space objects and satellites/warheads/rockets for defense
    * Satellite monitors for nuclear detonations
    * Hazardous gas sensors
    * Precision navigation
    * Clock synchronization
    * Ballistic missile guidance
    * Secure communications
    * Study of ozone depletion
    * Climate change studies
    * Monitoring of Earth-based storms such as hurricanes
    * Solar collectors
    * Fusion reactors
    * Space-age fabrics for divers, swimmers, hazardous material workers, and others
    * Teflon-coated fiberglass for roofing material
    * Lightweight breathing system used by firefighters
    * Atomic oxygen facility for removing unwanted material from 19th century paintings
    * FDA-adopted food safety program that has reduced salmonella cases by a factor of 2
    * Multispectral imaging methods used to read ancient Roman manuscripts buried by Mt. Vesuvius

Read more at Suite101: Practical Applications of Space Technology: Discoveries and Developments by NASA and Their Benefit to Society http://space-exploration.suite101.co...#ixzz0lCqs4CvY
    Studies show that every dollar put into scientific research returns 15. The only chance of your country having anything left to export to the world than entertainment and wars in the future is through science and technology.

People like you may prevent that but don't worry there are plenty of other countries happy to step up to the plate...

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    You do know that the world wide web that allows you to make that post came from research into particle physics at CERN?
    And that's what they tell Europeans so they'll support space and defense funding. They tell us it was invented at DARPA. It's all PR. Trust me, I'm very well aware of research funding and the fruits that come from it. And NASA is a waste.

resulted from technologies and information learned by space scientists:
    And what does "resulted from" mean, when we're talking PR-speak? NASA claims the microwave oven came from NASA. Then a guy at Raytheon (?) said he invented it, and it had nothing to do with the space program.

DARPA says it invented the internet. CERN says it did. Al Gore says he did. The ethernet protocol was invented by a guy at Xerox - and Xerox has nothing to do with space exploration.

MRI? It was invented by an MD who had no connection to NASA. http://www.ehow.com/about_4599974_who-invented-mri.html Though, I think the initial concept actually went back to research in Eastern Europe, if I remember - which, again, has nothing to do with NASA or CERN.

Anything good that NASA claims came from the space program is either: a) bullshit, b) has nothing to do with space and could just as easily been developed on the ground, or c) was flat-out developed by researchers who aren't interested in space.

Studies show that every dollar put into scientific research returns 15. The only chance of your country having anything left to export to the world than entertainment and wars in the future is through science and technology.
    I am 100% behind research funding. Every dollar spent on Goldman Sachs should have been spent on technology companies and technology education. You're right - that's the best ROI. What I'm against is then burning that research money on fruitless bullshit who's end result is putting an American flag on Mars and taking a picture.

You think inventing new medical imaging technologies like MRI is awesome? The best way to do that is to devote funding to medical research. Not spending money watching how frogs fuck in space and hoping somebody happens to dream up something useful at the same time.

Clueless fuck.
    Last edited by Blackflag; 04-15-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: (insult)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think from now on you should sign all your posts 'Clueless fuck', it saves time for newbies.

Your post demonstrates your ignorance not least in that you don't even know the difference between the internet and the world wide web.

Yet another topic where you are totally out your depth.

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Insightful response.

Bottom line - if you want useful and profitable inventions here on earth, there are any number of universities and companies you can fund. And plenty of people looking for work. The least effective way to do that is to fly to Mars first and keep your fingers crossed that something useful comes of it.

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX View Post
    Even though I'd love nothing more to use this as an opportunity to rip on Barry some more, I cannot. I mean going to Mars would be ok but I don't see the point with everything else as fucked up as it is? I think we should try fixing where we reside before we venture off and start fucking up another planet with platinum credit cards and sneakers with lights in 'em. JMHO.
    Agreed. With current technology, it would take 2.5 years for a manned craft/rocket/shuttle/whatever to reach Mars.

That means a whole lotta Billions are going to need to be sunk into research and development before that Mars Mission happens.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Insightful response.

Bottom line - if you want useful and profitable inventions here on earth, there are any number of universities and companies you can fund. And plenty of people looking for work. The least effective way to do that is to fly to Mars first and keep your fingers crossed that something useful comes of it.

Yours sincerely

Clueless Fuck
    Fixed.

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fixed.
    Again, great response. I guess that means you reached the end of the road on your CERN PR knowledge.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    shit, first sesh deletes posts and threads of ace's. now he's hacking bf's account? who gave him all these powers?

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sesh, space research is fine...and should be continued (although I do believe some of the items claimed on your list are utter bullshit) but we need balance to this... we need some of that money to pay on the accelerating deficit Obamacare is going to wreak on this country. Americans haven't seen real debt yet...but they will.

Hillary Clinton 2012!!!! At this point she's ahead of Barry in polls for the 2012 Democratic Primary. Now if we can just get her to quit boozin' it up at State, resign, and run.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBrian View Post
    Sesh, space research is fine...and should be continued (although I do believe some of the items claimed on your list are utter bullshit) but we need balance to this... we need some of that money to pay on the accelerating deficit Obamacare is going to wreak on this country. Americans haven't seen real debt yet...but they will.

Hillary Clinton 2012!!!! At this point she's ahead of Barry in polls for the 2012 Democratic Primary. Now if we can just get her to quit boozin' it up at State, resign, and run.
    Stop spending 65% of our budget on our military would be a good first step.........

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Again, great response. I guess that means you reached the end of the road on your CERN PR knowledge.
    I can't be fucked arguing with you on a 'the sky is not blue' issue.

Tim Berners-Lee came up with the idea of the world wide web, designed it and implemented it whilst he was at CERN.

That's all there is to it.

Use it to look up the facts.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Stop spending 65% of our budget on our military would be a good first step.........
    Who would protect the free world then, Scotland?

Better yet, let's get the 50% of the income earning public that don't pay taxes to START paying taxes. Yeah, I'd support that goddamned tax increase. You betcha I would. People wonder why more people aren't involved with our government, don't vote, or outright don't give a fuck: they have no vested interest, no stake, in America! I'm not suggesting anything drastic....just something to get them off the sidelines and into the game.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBrian View Post
    Who would protect the free world then, Scotland?
    Protect it from what? Protect it from whom?

Anyway with a 65% cut you would still be spending far more than anyone else.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The real question is why you think we have to save the free world and exactly who are we saving it from? Terraist........

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    implemented it whilst he was at CERN.
    I think it's funny as hell when you island people use "whilst" instead of "while."

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is good news......since we are a nation of explorers this is awesome.
    And you believe him? Mars within his lifetime and Guantanamo closed within a year. Yeah, sure.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't be . . . arguing with you
    Clearly.

Tim Berners-Lee came up with the idea of the world wide web, designed it and implemented it whilst he was at CERN.
    Well, fuck me. That's worth a trillion dollars right there. Because nobody does any computer science work unless there's space exploration to piggyback on!

Oh, wait a second... his work didn't have anything to do with space exploration, did it? Remind me what your point was again?

So tired of assholes spewing their pro-government talking points they copy and paste off the internet without actually thinking about what they're writing.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, the space program and computers were totally unrelated........

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    shit, first sesh deletes posts and threads of ace's. now he's hacking bf's account? who gave him all these powers?
    It wasn't Me!

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    And you believe him? Mars within his lifetime and Guantanamo closed within a year. Yeah, sure.
    I know it's crushing........who would of ever thought that a President wouldn't keep ALL of his campaign promises.

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post
    It wasn't Me!
    Am I the only one tired of this fucking retard's schtick? I can't be, can I? Speak up.

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know it's crushing........who would of ever thought that a President wouldn't keep ALL of his campaign promises.
    "ALL?"

Has he kept any?

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "ALL?"

Has he kept any?
    .....and you post this question on April 15th.........come on now, Captain Stupid!

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    .....and you post this question on April 15th.........come on now, Captain Stupid!
    Meaning what? The only break I got on the taxes was the deduction for sales tax on a new car.

Thanks for helping pay for my new car, btw...suckers.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bullshit........

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Am I the only one tired of this fucking retard's schtick? I can't be, can I? Speak up.
    I second that motion. FORD, can the jesus-imitation crap!

Thread Information