X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SilvioDante
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

Alex Van Halen vs. Gregg Bissonette

A coworker and I were discussing Van Halen and the EEAS band. The discussion turned to the drummers. We had a disagreement on which, if either, drummer was better. I told him I would go to the experts, the DLR Army. I will not tell which side I am on as so not to influence the outcome (and in case I am wrong, not to get flamed).

We have agreed to live by the decision of the Army. Thanks for your help.
    a:3:{i:6527;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6527;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"54704";s:5:"title";s:4:"Alex";s:5:"votes";i:20;s:6:"voters";a:20:{i:0;s:2:"24";i:1;s:5:"22029";i:2;s:5:"24030";i:3;s:5:"11436";i:4;s:5:"23921";i:5;s:2:"31";i:6;s:5:"12117";i:7;s:4:"9783";i:8;s:4:"1841";i:9;s:4:"9205";i:10;s:3:"271";i:11;s:5:"25150";i:12;s:2:"35";i:13;s:5:"24700";i:14;s:5:"25254";i:15;s:5:"24302";i:16;s:1:"4";i:17;s:4:"9614";i:18;s:5:"17686";i:19;s:5:"25313";}}i:6528;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6528;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"54704";s:5:"title";s:5:"Gregg";s:5:"votes";i:0;s:6:"voters";a:0:{}}i:6529;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6529;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"54704";s:5:"title";s:3:"Tie";s:5:"votes";i:2;s:6:"voters";a:2:{i:0;s:3:"181";i:1;s:2:"46";}}}
    0%
    "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

I'll bite...

Alex Van Halen

Bissonette is a cool drummer, but dudes.. Put on Hot for Teacher and its
    game over..
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Put on Van Halen II, WACF and Fair Warning and it's over with 90% of all rock drummers...

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

So who are the 10% that AVH doesnt blow away ELVIS ??

Curious ?
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

On a sheer technical level, I'd say Bissonette perhaps edges Alex Van Halen out by a few hairs.

In terms of individual stylistics, I'd say AVH brought a bit more to the table in CVH than Bissonette did in the EEAS and Skyscraper efforts. Bissonette was almost TOO polished on those records at times for my tastes.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Bissonette may be technically better because he was trained and played in big band, blah, blah, blah.

Alex had his own tone and style, brown sound was coined for his snare sound after all ......sure there's a ton of Bonham in his style but he is an amazing drummer. Play Alex and it's tougher than you think.
            Originally posted by vandeleur
            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Big Troubles
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Feb 2004

oh god, alex for sure.
              "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• hambon4lif
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

Oh jeez...

Let me know when Luzier enters the conversation....

....I'll take Ray for the block, Alex!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ou84Kvo1IwQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ou84Kvo1IwQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• Onofrio
                  Full On Cocktard
                  • Feb 2004

Gotta go Alex, hands down. And I'll take Ray over Bissonette any day.

Comment

• Big Troubles
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Feb 2004

agreed. ray over greg. but alex FOR THE WIN!

sorry got caught up in that Jeopardy moment...
                    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                      Bissonette may be technically better because he was trained and played in big band, blah, blah, blah.

Alex had his own tone and style, brown sound was coined for his snare sound after all ......sure there's a ton of Bonham in his style but he is an amazing drummer. Play Alex and it's tougher than you think.
                      Outta Love Again, In A Simple Rhyme, Hang 'Em High...all stellar.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Alex gets some bad comments from time to time around here, I reckon
                        he's probably the most consistent of the original four..... (Over the entire career
                        including last tour)
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• BALLYJUNKIE
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Nov 2004

alex van halen always kind of reminded me of a gene krupa meets john bonham.......van halen its self is kind of a rock version of big band /swing....mostley up tempo numbers with a big rock sound .....alex does get overshadowed by ed ,but every rock drummer knows alex has layed down some tasty fills and great grooves on every vh song .

Comment

• KTC5150
                            Full On Cocktard
                            • Feb 2010

Just listen to Light Up The Sky, Everybody Wants Some!, Mean Street, Hang em High, Hot For Teacher, AND I can throw in some tunes from SPAMMY'S era, but I don't need to...
                            Heard a vicious rumour from your mama's tongue...
                            You're a desperate woman, need a man with a gun...
                            High crime zone in the city lights...

Comment

• Mr Walker
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

One of the things I really miss about the old DDLR.com site was revisiting the thread where Catfish told Alex Van Halen he wasn't shit without David Lee Roth at The Grove in Orange County... sorry to digress.

Comment

Working...