Thread: Big Ten/Pac 10 Expansion

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    I would say that it's safe to say that the Longhorns aren't going to the Big 10. Apparently Nebraska and Texas have been hammering each other, because Nebraska has been looking for a TV Network deal similar to the Big 10's, but Texas holds it back because of their own personal TV deal. It's similar to Notre Dame. Now, Texas has some cards to play. Do they stay in the Big 12, and hold the conference together, or do they jump shit to the Pac 10, whose TV deal stinks. Will the Pac 10 let Texas keep their contract?...crazy times indeed...

The latest I heard whick was on the radio this am was "Oklahoma will go where Texas goes." "Thus leaving all the cards in the hands of the Longhorns"

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's interesting that in all of this talk of super-conferences, no one has seemed to notice the elephant in the room, that being the idea that the muscle that these organizations will have with regard to bargaining power over earnings. In that scenario, wouldn't it make sense for them to break away completely from the NCAA? I mean why split the revenue with over 300 teams when it could be shared much more profitably amongst a group of...say 20-24, for argument's sake? This would also effectively put an end to the BCS (fingers crossed).

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Remember though...the Pac 10 and the Big 10 were the conferences that were essentially putting a stop to a tournament...

Now that they are both moving to a conference tourney...perhaps that will change...

You are also forgetting that these conferences aren't just football animals...although they are the drivers. I don't see the Big 10 superconference telling the NCAA to goto hell, without taking into consideration the other athletics...in particular...hoops...

although I'm not sure they are considering that at this point...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    The latest I heard whick was on the radio this am was "Oklahoma will go where Texas goes." "Thus leaving all the cards in the hands of the Longhorns"
    The only issue I have with this...is the assumption that any conference would just take Okie. Now, I'm not saying they aren't deserving...they are...but if the Big 10 has a certain direction that doesn't include Okie...Okie isn't coming. I also don't see Texas saying, "you have to take Oklahoma," while disregarding their fellow Texas schools. That's not going to happen.

If Texas goes to the Big 10...Okie isn't a handcuff...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    the pac 10 is another story, which is where I think they will go because they will then likely dictate the direction the conference takes...

Texas and Okie become the pre-eminent schools there because of USC and Pete Carroll turning into a lump of shit...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Remember though...the Pac 10 and the Big 10 were the conferences that were essentially putting a stop to a tournament...

Now that they are both moving to a conference tourney...perhaps that will change...

You are also forgetting that these conferences aren't just football animals...although they are the drivers. I don't see the Big 10 superconference telling the NCAA to goto hell, without taking into consideration the other athletics...in particular...hoops...

although I'm not sure they are considering that at this point...
    You are correct, I had not considered the basketball teams in all of this, yet that does broker another interesting question: How are these basketball teams going to manage to travel the great distances required by this expansion, given the already large amount of games being played? You have to wonder how the schedule would be set up, not to mention accommodated. And it sure as hell would play havoc with the "student-athletes" class attendance, not that graduating these kids has ever been seen as a priority before.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Texas/Texas Tech/Oklahoma/Oklahoma State are a packaged deal. Where one goes, they all go. Texas A&M may hook their cart to UT also. Tech & OSU need OU and UT for revenue and UT and OU need each other for not only revenue but for tradition in the rivalry. If Nebraska hadn't sucked for the last decade they would still be involved but that is the reason for their quick departure. Same for Colorado, they had to get out quick because they weren't going to be included and had to get while the gettin' was good.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    You are correct, I had not considered the basketball teams in all of this, yet that does broker another interesting question: How are these basketball teams going to manage to travel the great distances required by this expansion, given the already large amount of games being played? You have to wonder how the schedule would be set up, not to mention accommodated. And it sure as hell would play havoc with the "student-athletes" class attendance, not that graduating these kids has ever been seen as a priority before.
    Basketball will drive Kansas where goes. Kansas and K-State will also be a packaged deal where ever they go. Big East may get them both.

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Texas turns down Pac-10. Something tells me things are about to get real interesting.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott says Texas has turned down an invitation to leave the Big 12 and join his conference.

In an e-mail, Scott confirms that Texas has rejected the Pac-10's offer.

The news first was reported by The Dallas Morning news.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0qsEJt500

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OK, let me get this straight: The Pac-10 is becoming the Pac-12, and the Pac-12 is becoming the Pac-10. Is that it, essentially? Man, this is confusing. It seems like things change every 12 minutes or so with these deals.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Texas has a press conference scheduled for tomorrow. Looks like the Big 12 will be the Big 10 or something to that effect. They should bring back the Southwest Conference moniker.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It will be interesting to see what the conferences do. I don't think the Big 10 will stop being the Big 10....and I don't think the Big 12 will stop being the Big 12....but we shall see. I do like the Southwest Conference idea.

I don't think that the Big 10 is done. I think they are going to lay their cards directly at the feet of Notre Dame at some point, followed by Rutgers and Maryland. I think the thought of opening the doors to the NYC and DC/Philly markets are the only way the Big 10 can increase their piece of the pie. Notre Dame...of course...is Notre Dame...

Fucking Texas though. They literally screw their conference though...take the loot, and tier the rest so they can have their own TV channel...when they could boost the entire conference with a Big 12 tv deal...that would allow them to do the same thing as the Big 10...

I am impressed with the Pac 10 going for the homerun though. Had that happened...wow...

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It will be interesting to see what the conferences do. I don't think the Big 10 will stop being the Big 10....and I don't think the Big 12 will stop being the Big 12....but we shall see. I do like the Southwest Conference idea.

I don't think that the Big 10 is done. I think they are going to lay their cards directly at the feet of Notre Dame at some point, followed by Rutgers and Maryland. I think the thought of opening the doors to the NYC and DC/Philly markets are the only way the Big 10 can increase their piece of the pie. Notre Dame...of course...is Notre Dame...

Fucking Texas though. They literally screw their conference though...take the loot, and tier the rest so they can have their own TV channel...when they could boost the entire conference with a Big 12 tv deal...that would allow them to do the same thing as the Big 10...

I am impressed with the Pac 10 going for the homerun though. Had that happened...wow...
    The big 12 will remain the same except for Nebraska and someone else that doesn't matter. I can't remeber who they said. What a fucked up mess.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm ready for Notre Dame to finally quit being sissy independents and join a conference. Their program is so bad now, they don't care. They bled NBC dry with that TV deal. I guess their boosters have a shit load of money but still, I'm tired of watching them get beat every week when NBC could show a real game.

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There is talk that Texas A&M is considering moving to the SEC. If they were to make the move, what would happen to the annual season ending rivalry game with Texas? Would the Big 12 still be called the Big 12 with 9 members? That would be pretty stupid. I think the B12 should try to get Houston, TCU, and SMU and rename the conference the new Southwest Conference.

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    The big 12 will remain the same except for Nebraska and someone else that doesn't matter. I can't remeber who they said. What a fucked up mess.
    Colorado.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good thread, except the part where Pojo says "...fuck Notre Dame..." lol

I don't know why everyone throws a fit about ND being independent... it's still one of the few schools that can pull it off (Texas being another according to some folks) that have the ratings and cache to do it. And as long as there is an exception for them to get into the BCS that doesn't require conference affiliation, there's nothing to compel them. Of course, some folks argue that the marquee schools would just stop scheduling ND, but despite how atrocious the football team has been the past 20 years, perhaps IN SPITE of mediocre play, they still draw enough on television and they are a good enough non-conference game (hell, actually a win-win for UM, MSU, etc recently, as they get a name school for good ratings and at times a fairly easy win too). So hard to see schools stop scheduling ND just because they aren't in a conference.

And I don't think the school is completely driven by money. If they were, the Big 10, hell even the Big East has a pretty good television package due mainly to basketball, would be a no-brainer. Like Pojo and others have mentioned, ND brings in about $15M from NBC but would bring in substantially more with the Big 10, around the current $22M per team in the Big 10.

Sure, part of it is ancient rivalry games, the ability to schedule so-called "national" schedules playing from coast to coast, not dealing with conference ADs and random conference bullshit, and being independent is not only tradition (for whatever that's worth these days), but just because they can be independent and nothing so far has come along to make it compulsory to join a conference. I think the Big East is the stronger basketball conference, but the Big 10 is definitely the stronger football conference. And right now, ND gets the benefits of both really. And what are some of the Big 10's demands? Would it require all the ND programs currently competing and with Big East rivalries to move over to the Big 10? I can't see any conference letting ND split like that... I think somewhere in the fine print may also be a rider that says ND can make football the exception to Big East membership so long as it remains independent... who knows what's lock in the Golden Dome vaults.

With hopefully Kelly getting the program at least respectable and competitive, joining the Big East would shore up that conference, and perhaps look to lure in 1-3 teams to make it a 10-12 team league. That would align with Pojo's comments of ND joining and being the big man on campus football-wise. Shit, I think every team in the Big East now has finally beaten ND in football except South Florida. lol So they join with parity and it wouldn't take much to rule the roost. On the other hand, Big 10 just seems like a natural fit and I'll tell you, when I was at ND and would go to the games, it FELT like conference play when UM, MSU, Purdue come to town.

So I have no idea what will happen, but I do enjoy the intrigue and rumors and speculation. My vote would be for joining the Big 10 so long as they could schedule 4 non-conference games 2 home/2 away and rotate them each year... at minimum they could have USC and Navy as the usual suspects and then rotate out Stanford, Pitt, W Virginia, Rutgers, Syracuse, Miami, Oklahoma, etc... or something like that... scheduling gets difficult if the Big 10 went to 16 teams and you figure 8 games off the bat are divisional games, only way to ever compete against opposing division is to use up one or more of the 4 remaining slots or meet in a conference championship.

Ok, I'm done thinking about this shit for now... lol

That is all.

Icon©®™
    An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
    hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't stand Notre Dame. They wouldn't have the independent draw if they weren't the Catholic mecca of the U.S. Here is why so many hate them. It is simple, they get EVERYTHING without earning it. Automatic BCS birth if ranked in the top 9 (top 6 for everyone else), they have their own TV station with their own revenue, they get BCS money even when they do not go to the BCS (if you want that join a conference), and they are always overrated (until recent times now everyone knows they stink) they never beat anyone and would get smashed by USC and Michigan and still end up in the top 10. Other than that I don't know why people hate them. Three service academies, North Carolina, Stanford, wow, that is a crucial schedule. They inflated their wins by beating up on those teams, and get straight gobsmacked when they play a decent school (USC, Michigan). This was in the hayday of the '80s and 90s of course.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The thing is, ND has been living by reputation and so-called tradition for what, over 20 years now? The last championship they won was in the late eighties with Lou Holtz, for cryin' out loud. And you'd have to go back another 11 years before that to the Dan Devine era for another one. When you really look at things, the Irish built their "legend" in the 1940s, an era that was before television was even a factor. So the myth-building was by and large manufactured through an alleged independence, rather than any real conference affiliation. It's to the school's ultimate credit that they've managed to pull this off over the years, but the myth is just that: A reputation for winning that really isn't based on relevance to the contradicting truth of recent history.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    fuck it, was bored, here's your post-apoclyptic dream college football conferences sponsored by Conelrad

ACC

North

Penn State
    Pitt
    West Virgina
    Cincinnati
    Rutgers
    Syracuse
    Boston College
    UConn

South

Virginia
    Virginia Tech
    Maryland
    UNC
    Duke
    NC State
    Wake Forest
    South Florida

Big 10

East

Ohio State
    Michigan
    Michigan St.
    Notre Dame
    Indiana
    Purdue
    Northwestern
    Illinois

West

Wisconsin
    Minnesota
    Iowa
    Iowa St.
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    Kansas
    Kansas St.

PAC 16

Pacific Division

UCLA
    USC
    Cal
    Stanford
    Oregon
    Oregon St
    Washington
    Washington St.

Mountain Division

Arizona
    Arizona St.
    Colorado
    Colorado St.
    Utah
    BYU
    UNLV
    Boise St.

SEC

East

Florida
    Florida St.
    Miami (Fl.)
    Vanderbilt
    Clemson
    South Carolina
    Georgia
    Georgia Tech

West

Alabama
    Auburn
    Ole Miss
    Miss. St.
    Southern Miss
    Tennessee
    Kentucky
    Louisville

SWC

Cotton

Texas
    Texas A&M
    Arkansas
    LSU
    Houston
    Rice
    Memphis
    Tulane

Wagon

Oklahoma
    Oklahoma St.
    Texas Tech
    Baylor
    North Texas
    SMU
    TCU
    Air Force

MAC

East

Ohio
    Marshall
    East Carolina
    Central Florida
    Kent St.
    Akron
    Buffalo
    Temple

West

Bowling Green
    Toledo
    Ball St.
    Northern Illinois
    Western Michigan
    Central Michigan
    Eastern Michigan
    Miami (OH)

WAC

Mountain

UTEP
    New Mexico
    Louisana Tech
    Wyoming
    New Mexico St.
    Tulsa
    UAB

Ocean

San Jose St.
    San Diego St.
    Hawai'i
    Idaho
    Nevada
    Fresno St.
    Utah St.

Sun Belt

UL-Lafayette
    UL-Monroe
    Middle Tennessee St.
    Arkansas St.
    Troy
    FAU
    FIU
    Western Kentucky
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    lol. I think you either have to put Texas in Wagon or Oklahoma in Cotton.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I even have a playoff system worked out for it

8 automatic bids via winning the Conference Championship
    4 Wild Cards

-8 teams play in 4 games at the higher ranked teams home stadium
    -4 teams get a bye from this and get to be chosen by 4 of the 5 BCS Bowls (Cotton gets added to this, along with the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, Sugar)
    -After the 8 Wildcard round teams are reduced to 4, the Bowls get to chose which matchup is the best, and are played within the span of new years eve to the day after new years
    -After the games are played, the 4 champions advance to the site of Football's "Final Four" (Again a rotating site, between the aforementioned 5), which takes place two weeks following the New Years Day Games
    -The National Championship of College Football is played, and the mythical national championship delivered!

Thread Information