Joey Belladonna Rejoins ANTHRAX...again.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WACF
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Joey Belladonna Rejoins ANTHRAX...again.

Where Metal Lives! Breaking news, reviews, interviews, audio, and videos... Your hub for metal music.

With rumors swirling since Anthrax drummer Charlie Benante and bassist Frank Bello were seen together with former ANTHRAX vocalist Joey Belladonna late last month in New York, the band - Benante, Bello, and guitarists Scott Ian and Rob Caggiano - is elated to announce that Belladonna has officially rejoined the band. In his once and current capacity, Belladonna will make his first appearance with Anthrax this summer when the band joins METALLICA, SLAYER, and MEGADETH - The Big Four founding bands of the thrash genre - to co-headline a series of Sonisphere Festivals in ten European cities, as well as playing a handful of Anthrax-headlined shows (itinerary is below).

"I am super excited about this," said Scott Ian. "Joey and the rest of the band came to see me play at a club in New York, I hadn't seen Joey for years, since the end of the reunion tour. Joey taps me on the shoulder, instant big hug, it felt like no time had gone by. The band dynamic is an interesting one - in Anthrax, Joey and I spent so many years of our lives together, we grew up together, we know each other so well, so it was like no time was lost."

Belladonna, an essential part of Anthrax's lineup from 1985 to 1992, sang on some of the band's most popular albums including Spreading the Disease, Among the Living and Persistence of Time. He had reunited with original members of Anthrax for the 2005 - 2007 "Among the Living Tour," but this situation is different. Explained Belladonna, "I had been in touch with Charlie and Frank, then I got a call from their manager who said that everyone wanted me back in the band. I thought, 'are you guys for real? You want me up there, fronting the band like it was before?' I was thrilled. We've already started to reconnect with the old ways of having conversations. Everything is easy going and feels really good."

"We're going to do these summer shows and gel as a band," explained Charlie Benante, "get comfortable playing with each other again, and the energy from that should go right into making new music."

Immediately following the final Sonisphere festival in early August, the band will fly back to the U.S. and begin writing and rehearsing for a new album that's expected to be out in early 2011.

"We've got an unusual luxury of hindsight," added Ian. "We finished an album a year ago, we've lived with those 12 songs since then, and we can look back on them and see what we really love and what we can make even better, especially with Joey back in the fold."

Added Benante, "There are five or six songs from a year ago that we don't want to change, we love them the way they are, other than having Joey making them his own with his vocals. Then there's another five or six that we may want to rework, and then there are a bunch of other tunes that are still in the early stages, that we want to finish.

"The band has been on an emotional roller coaster since last summer," Benante continued, "but I think everything that we've had to deal with during that time was pushing us toward this, to Joey being back in Anthrax, and the timing couldn't be more perfect or appropriate. To have Joey with us playing these shows with Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth is the way it should be - as Anthrax's vocalist from '85 to '92, he was part of The Big Four."

"John was a real stand up guy about the situation," said Ian, about John Bush, Anthrax's vocalist from '92 - '05. "He knew we wanted to move forward at full speed, that we needed a total commitment to Anthrax, and he knew that wasn't what he wanted. We certainly wish John well. We've had so many great times with him, and we appreciate his stepping in last summer at the last minute, and performing with us since then. He will always be an integral part of the Anthrax family."

With worldwide sales in excess of 10-million, Anthrax is about to celebrate its 29th year as a band. Over its career, Anthrax has received multiple Gold and Platinum albums, multiple Grammy nominations, and a host of other accolades from the press, industry and fans.

Complete dates for Anthrax - with Joey Belladonna on vocals - are as follows:

June
    16 - Sonisphere Festival, Warsaw, Poland
    18 - Sonisphere Festival, Wil, Switzerland
    19 - Sonisphere Festival, Prague, Czech Republic
    20 - Arena Wien, Vienna, Austria
    22 - Sonisphere Festival, Sofia, Bulgaria
    24 - Sonisphere Festival, Athens, Greece
    26 - Sonisphere Festival, Bucharest, Romania
    27 - Sonisphere Festival, Istanbul, Turkey

July
    31 Sonisphere Festival, Knebworth, UK

August
  • WACF
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

While I liked the Belladonna version...I was really looking forward to hearing Anthrax with Bush again.

That guy can sing his ass off...and by far my favorite Anthrax front man.

Regardless...I wonder if regrouping of classic Anthrax will last longer than the Big Four tour.

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

I dig John Bush. Motherfucker CAN sing his ass off!

Comment

• Mr Walker
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

Anthrax... the only band that can come close to out Van Halening Van Halen.

Comment

• kissfan1976
          Head Fluffer
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by WACF
          While I liked the Belladonna version...I was really looking forward to hearing Anthrax with Bush again.

That guy can sing his ass off...and by far my favorite Anthrax front man.
          I agree about John Bush.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
            I dig John Bush. Motherfucker CAN sing his ass off!
            Ditto. Bush was the best singer they had. Too bad they fucked him over and went for the cash -in "reunion" tour a few years ago...
            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Golden AWe
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
              Anthrax... the only band that can come close to out Van Halening Van Halen.
              YESSS!!!

I have no problems in life...I listen to ANTHRAX
              Originally posted by Cato
              Golden, why are you FAT?
              Originally posted by lesfunk
              Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
              http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• SparkieD
                Veteran
                • Sep 2006

I've come to expect this kind of shit from Anthrax. I've always loved 'em, and truthfully, don't really give a shit at this point who sings for 'em. I just hope John Bush didn't get fucked again in the process of getting Joey back just as I hope Joey takes the necessary steps to keep himself from getting fucked.

I think the best thing that could happen in the Anthrax camp these days is Scott Ian getting his trap sewn shut. Such an attention whore. Not long ago, he was talking shit about Joey. Now wait and see, he will be swinging from Joey's nutsack in no time flat.
                Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
                Originally posted by rustoffa
                Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Bwahahahahahaha!

So, let's review the last decade of Anthrax's history.

2003: the band releases 'We Have Come For You All', easily their best record for a decade which gets plenty of acclaim.

They then decide to oust Bush in favour of a - ker-ching - reunion tour with Belladonna. When trying to make new music, it all goes belly up and they beg John Bush to come back. He tells them to fuck off, so they hire the world' great Phil Anselmo impersonator Dan Nelson to make a new record, which they record and book a tour to promote before Nelson quits or they fire him (it depends who you talk to.) They then beg Bush to come back, play a few 'reunion #2' shows, which by all accounts are amongst the best that the band have EVER played. Much hype circulates about a new Bush album with ANthrax, which will hopefully carry forward the momentum of 'We Have Come For You All', now some 7 years ago. Despite this being the obvious move, the band decides to reunite with Belladonna, the guy who they unable to work with when making new music in the first place, and the reason Dan Nelson ever got in the band.

Good decision making guys - I'm guessing that the new Armored Saint record is stronger than anything they could put out now anyway. Damn, it's hard to be an Anthrax fan........
                  The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Golden AWe
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Now that I read this thread again, I don't know whether Mr. Walker was praising the best things Anthrax did, their attitude and humour, or whether he was making fun of this soap opera. Probably both.
                    Originally posted by Cato
                    Golden, why are you FAT?
                    Originally posted by lesfunk
                    Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• kissfan1976
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2010

I think Anthrax was going to tour with both Bush & Belladonna back in 2000 when Return Of The Killer A's CD came out but Belladonna supposedly wanted more money than they were offering him at the time so they nixed that project.

and this is from Scott Ian in 2007:
                      "Finally, we're going back to work. We're going to Chicago to work our asses off and write a record. [...] One problem... no singer. We were offered a direct support slot on a major tour this spring and Joey [Belladonna] decided he did not want to move forward. The reunion is over. We tried to make it work but I guess that's the problem, you can't 'make' something work. [...] My curiosity was piqued by the idea of what Anthrax would sound like now with Joey singing. Over the last few months we've discussed this endlessly to no avail. The problems that were there could not be fixed no matter how hard we tried and in the end Joey made the decision."

Comment

• ShadowOfTheWave
                        Full On Cocktard
                        • Apr 2010

Joey was the second choice of the band, but always the first choice of the fans. Sales in excess of 2 million with Joey, sales lower than 1 million with Bush. It really isn't that different that Van Halen actually, the Belladonna era is what the band will be remembered for and where the sales are, but the members personally preferred Bush. Also like with VH, the Joey era is pretty unique, like Judas Priest combined with Metallica, while the Bush era is pretty much a cookie cutter aggressive metal band. Love Bush's voice, but prefer classic Anthrax.

Comment

• bueno bob
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Well, say what you will, but...to me, Joey Belladonna IS Anthrax's lead vocalist and always has been. To me, John Bush is just another Sammy Hagar. I will say that I REALLY, REALLY enjoyed Sound of White Noise, but beyond that I was never a fan of anything they recorded with Bush and I always felt that something big was missing. Having seen both Bush and Belladonna's eras live, I can easily, without ANY fear of misspeaking myself, state that Joey Belladonna is the better live front man and shows are MUCH more energetic with him singing. Just the way I've always experienced it.

Listen, the thing is this...Anthrax is getting REALLY long in the tooth and needs to solidify itself somehow. Scott Ian knows that. Joey knows his solo career isn't going to go anywhere. This is really their last chance at going out on a high note, and the best way to do it is with the classic singer...you know, I look at Anthrax as I look at Maiden...they've had other singers, but Joey Belladonna is really their Bruce Dickinson.

I'm glad to see him back and hope it's permanent.
                          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2004

Good post there Bueno...

What you said makes a lot of sense, and I agree Joey is their only chance of getting their "legs" back as a proper band again.
                            Having been a John Bush fan from waaay back in the early Armoured Saint days as well as Anthrax, going back to Fist Full of Metal. I think all their singers did a good job and the band did well in choosing each one. I'd have to say I like Bush's voice the best....
                            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by bueno bob
                              Well, say what you will, but...to me, Joey Belladonna IS Anthrax's lead vocalist and always has been. To me, John Bush is just another Sammy Hagar. I will say that I REALLY, REALLY enjoyed Sound of White Noise, but beyond that I was never a fan of anything they recorded with Bush and I always felt that something big was missing. Having seen both Bush and Belladonna's eras live, I can easily, without ANY fear of misspeaking myself, state that Joey Belladonna is the better live front man and shows are MUCH more energetic with him singing. Just the way I've always experienced it.

I always thought that Bush's muscular voice suited Anthrax's music better than Joey's wailing - I accept I'm in the minority on that though.

Don't buy the hype, Bob - this won't be permanent.
                              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...