Thread: Brad Paisley, Vince Gill And Others Lost Stuff In the Flood Of Gnashville.....

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Brad Paisley, Vince Gill And Others Lost Stuff In the Flood Of Gnashville.....

But WE ALL lost something as well.

The Musician's Hall Of Fame was forced by the fucking city to shut down a couple of months back, as the Metro City Govt. decided to build a new convention center in that area.

The guy who founded the MHOF is a longtime guitar dealer here named Joe Chambers.

He stored most of the 'artifacts' at Sound Check, on the east side of the Cumberland River.

It got flooded.

Included in the fucked up shit is a guitar used by Pete Townsend during the recording of Quadrophenia (it is a sunburst Gibson Les Paul Deluxe). One of the major tragedies was a 1966 Fender Strat once owned by Jimi Hendrix. Not ANY Strat, mind you, but it was his favorite, was not really a stage/road guitar, but one he took home with him to his apartment in NYC and wrote many songs on.

That is just the tip of the iceberg.

Musicians Hall of Fame Founder Joe Chambers shows Jimi Hendrix's guitar that was flooded at Soundcheck

Stevie Ray Vaughan once owned this:

George Harrison guitar:

The Pete Townsend Les Paul:

Johnny Cash guitar:

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/tag/joe-chambers/

In masters’ hands, the instruments made culture-defining music. And until recently, they shone pristine, accented by gallery lighting and protected behind glass cases at the Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum.

Now, they are grime-caked, and heavy with water that remains in wood that cracks and splinters, or that sags like a cardboard box tossed into a swimming pool.

In February, Musicians Hall proprietor Joe Chambers was ordered to vacate his downtown building in 14 days, to make way for a new convention center, and so he gathered his treasures — most owned, some loaned — and drove them across the Cumberland, to a riverside rehearsal and storage space called SoundCheck Nashville, for safe keeping while he searched for another location.

But in May, the rains came and SoundCheck flooded, and Chambers couldn’t gather his jewels until they had been underwater for days. And now Pete Townshend’s guitar from The Who’s Quadrophenia tour, Jimi Hendrix’s 1966 Fender, the drums Kenny Buttrey used on Neil Young’s “Heart of Gold,” the bass Lightning Chance used for Hank Williams’ final recording sessions and hundreds of other fine things are irrevocably altered, their futures uncertain.

They are sad and dirty, collected together in a warehouse space where no music is heard, only the hum of dehumidifiers and the sighs and curses from Chambers. He spent most of the past decade realizing a dream of protecting and honoring the legacies of working musicians. Now his showplace is bulldozed, his favorite things are in ruin and he’s been making calls to his heroes, telling them what is lost, what is spared and what is in question.

Chambers is quick to say he’s lucky in some ways. Many of the instruments were insured, and he reminds that his losses are insignificant when compared to lost lives and destroyed homes. Still, smiles are infrequent this week for a man who has seen great ambitions and now a remarkable collection derailed by civic planning and destroyed by force of nature. And insurance can’t repair this thing.

“You don’t pick up the phone and go, ‘I’d like to order another of the Tommy Tedesco guitar that he played on the M*A*S*H theme,’ or, ‘I’d like another of the bass that Joe Osborne used on “Bridge Over Troubled Water” and all The Mamas & The Papas records: The one signed on the back by Karen Carpenter and Neil Young and Paul Simon,’” Chambers said. “And if we had been able to work out an agreement with the city, we would have been sitting high and dry. We wouldn’t have lost a guitar pick.”

The Metro Development and Housing Agency took over the old museum through eminent domain, and it closed to the public on Feb. 14 (to see photos from the last day of public tours, click HERE). The settlement was something like $4 million less than Chambers said it would cost to rebuild a similar structure. When closing shop, Chambers returned instruments to some owners — Charlie Daniels was one — and moved much of the rest of the collection to SoundCheck to buy time and ponder a next move.

“I remember pulling into the parking lot there, and I saw this river and thought, ‘I don’t have a good feeling about this,’” he said. “But then I thought, ‘You’re just being paranoid,’ and Vince Gill had his guitars there, and John Fogerty, and of course I wasn’t thinking we’d have that much rain.”

A glance at Chambers’ collection offers wincing evidence of the damage that can be done by “that much rain.” Townshend tried to destroy his guitar in a 1974 concert, whacking it against the stage repeatedly. He broke the neck, but that kind of thing can be, and was, fixed. The Cumberland baptizing may provide more permanent damage: The snapped neck was a broken bone, the water is more like cancer.

“These instruments are the holy grails of the musicians,” said Country Music Hall of Famer Harold Bradley. “If they disappear, we’ll lost a tremendous amount of our history.”

For Chambers, who clearly adores the instruments and music-makers he sought to honor, lost history equates to heartache. His favorite pieces aren’t necessarily the most valuable, which makes him no different from Middle Tennesseans who saved family photographs from the flood but left behind expensive items.

In some moments, Chambers is as buoyed by the salvaging of a golf club that Chet Atkins used as a walking stick as he is dismayed at some of his lost guitars. And then he looks over at the sitar used by California session man Mike Deasy, with wood that must have popped like firecrackers, audible even underwater. He grows emotional each time he shifts attention to two basses once played by Nashville great Lightning Chance — the one he played on the Grand Ole Opry stage and the one that held the low end for Patsy Cline’s “Walking After Midnight” and thousands of other songs — wincing at the yawning wounds in the wood.

“This is priceless stuff, and it’s part of an untold story that was finally, thanks to Joe, in the process of being told,” said bass player and Nashville Musicians Association president Dave Pomeroy. “My fear is that this is going to kill the museum, and that would compound the losses we’ve already suffered. These instruments tell the story of the people who built this town, this music city, and we have to honor that and do everything we can to help that.”

Even the instruments that can be restored are now different, and lesser. Instruments are to be weathered by hand, not by water, and fixing water damage is usually like sanding and refinishing antique furniture. You wind up with something perhaps usable but less authentic. And it’ll be impossible to tell what is salvageable for months. Much of it looks worse each day, even as it slowly dries.

The binding from Charlie McCoy’s bass crumbled and stuck like glass in Chambers hand as he picked it up and mentioned its role in Bob Dylan’s “Lay Lady Lay.” The drums Gene Chrisman used on “Son Of A Preacher Man” are a wreck, as are the bass guitars Garry W. Tallent used on Bruce Springsteen’s “Born To Run” and “Born in the U.S.A.” Water pressure violently ripped the bridges from the bodies of Glen Campbell’s Ovation and Jerry Reed’s Fender. The M*A*S*H guitar couldn’t be repaired by a team of guitar builders and Hawkeye Pierce.

These are things, not people. But we as a culture have deemed art and song and museums to be things of some import, and so the loss of these things is also of significance.

“What does it do to the museum?” Chambers said. “I don’t know. I don’t even know what it does to me. I kind of said, ‘God, give me a sign. What should I do?’ And he gave me a big one.”
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fuckin Sucks!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

What a nightmare. My studio was flooded with a foot of water in March. Fortunately none of my instruments were damaged, we managed to get the gear out before the water rose above 3 inches. I did lose a few pedals to water damage.
    But this is major damage and loss. Hope things work out for the guy (and the people affected by the floods)...

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    12-10-2014 @ 10:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Begs me to ask the question; is Nashville hostile to non-labeled, independent and small venture capitalist or is this guy an isolated incident?
    Why was this gentleman not relocated, not that such a relocation would have guaranteed the collection being spared from the flood.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2024 @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Begs me to ask the question; is Nashville hostile to non-labeled, independent and small venture capitalist or is this guy an isolated incident?
    Why was this gentleman not relocated, not that such a relocation would have guaranteed the collection being spared from the flood.
    I have ran several small business in several cities and it's always the same. The big developers and corporations buy the politicians and the smaller outfits get screwed. The city wanted it's convention center because that is what the money and influence wanted. Follow the money. These kinds of decisions don't involve culture, history, and preserving them. New York City was going to tear down Grand Central Station and it took a major effort from Jackie Kennedy to save it. The White House was in sad shape and she managed to get original furnishings and art back. It takes a person with pull who gives a damn. Sadly the average person gets the shaft. I've seen so many cases of this and have dealt with City Councils more than I care to remember.

Thread Information