Member No
    Last Online
    04-16-2013 @ 11:32 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Bill Ward Has An "Open Mind" About Black Sabbath Reunion

Full Interview Here:
    http://www.backstageaxxess.com/index...ward-interview

Gus: In May of 2009 there was a lawsuit Ozzy [Osbourne] filed against Tony Iommi over the trade marking of the name Black Sabbath. Ozzy was quoted that he thought "all four original members should have equal access to the name." Do you want to comment on that?

Bill: No, I don't know a lot about it. I stayed out of it. I wanted to see how things would fall between Tony and Ozz. I spoke to Ozz only a few days ago and he mentioned in passing that's all been done and dealt with now. Again, in my private notes, I have to ask our lawyer some of my stuff and if they can find out what was and what fell and what it fell to and so on and so forth. All of it is public knowledge, I would think. These things are usually placed in the legal columns. So the information I think could be found quite easy. So I don't know. I never talked to Ozz about that stuff. He just happened to mention that the other day. The band has been through so much. If someone is arguing with somebody one day that doesn't mean that's the entire future. These things have a way of sorting themselves out, settling, and then moving on. I don't think it paralyzes all or diminishes any possibilities of future Black Sabbath work. We have overcome some pretty mean stuff between each other (laughs) and still got on stage and played. I don't know what to make of it. I really tried to be completely neutral in it while supporting Tony and Ozzy at the same time.

Gus: Do you foresee a reunion of any sorts with the original members of Black Sabbath at any point, including the possibility of recording new material?

Bill: Gus, I have a complete open mind. I would be available to see what we would like to do and how we would like to do it. I would have to look at the entire picture. Would I like to? My open mind says yes! We would have to see if that was possible by how everybody else is feeling, and if there is a possibility to move forward. It’s hard. It's so wonderful to play with the band that I didn’t want to come off the last tour. Like I said, I think the last tour ended like three years ago. When the band played Europe, Gus, I just thought the band was flying high and the band sounded great! It sounded tight. I thought ...My God... let’s keep on playing! Let’s go around the world with this all the way around and around again. It was hard to come off the tour. I know all good things must come to an end but it was tough.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Kool!

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Well, Bill can be as 'open minded' as he wants - from the footage I've seen, Bill and Tony looked very, very bored on that last tour. Having to play a very limited selection of the Ozzy-era back cat because Ozzy can't sing the stuff in the higher keys anymore, I think that they got tired of it.

Heaven & Hell revitalized them, IMO. A new album with Ozzy could never live up to expectations.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

It's sad when the other version of Sabbath is better and a lot more interesting, too bad Ward wasn't in Dio's version........get well soon Ronnie! Sabbath/Heaven and Hell really needs you!

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Well, Bill can be as 'open minded' as he wants - from the footage I've seen, Bill and Tony looked very, very bored on that last tour. Having to play a very limited selection of the Ozzy-era back cat because Ozzy can't sing the stuff in the higher keys anymore, I think that they got tired of it.

Heaven & Hell revitalized them, IMO. A new album with Ozzy could never live up to expectations.
    I agree. Based on "Scream" I think Ozzy's voice has had it. I don't know it would be kinda cool though to here what they might come up with. Tony is just the king of super cool riffs.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

I don't think Tony Iommi will EVER work with Ozzy again. I believe there was a recent quote where he said they'll "Always be friends", but whether or not he'd actually be in a band with him again is "Another thing entirely". What with the $haron O$bourne lawsuit? Yeah, Ozzy and Tony won't ever share a stage again. Not until that old, dried up cunt is dead, anyway.

He's (hopefully) got a few Heaven & Hell albums left, his solo career, and then there's the "Who Cares" band he's got going with Ian Gillan now - why bother getting on stage with Ozzy so that he can butcher the same four Sabbath songs over and over again? Pointless. He knows it.

Bill can have as much of an "open mind" as he wants, but the final decision will ALWAYS be on Tony's shoulders. That's the way it is and the way it always has been in that band, from day one to present. The only reason Ozzy has any clout at all is because he was a marketable solo act in the 80s, a legend of the 90s and now a fucking MTV klown of the next generation.

After this lawsuit business, I don't fucking care if the real Black Sabbath never comes back. I'm quite happy with the legacy they established and quite happy with the music they left. There's nothing left for them to do, and frankly Tony's solo work and Heaven & Hell have been better than anything the original four would record, anyway. No point in a greatest hits tour anymore and their obvious inability to get Ozzy to commit to anything in the studio just means it's a fucked notion. They had an opportunity in 1999/2000 to do a millennium album that could have been something really special and Ozzy fucked it away while he waited on $haron to tell him what to do.

Piss on it. It's done.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    As long as there are big bucks to be made, nothing is out of the question for this bunch...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Elvis is right about the money factor.

Suppose it wasn't beyond the pale that Ward could have played on the recent Heaven and Hell gigs/material, although Vinnie did fine...I mean, he's stuck by Dio long enough and was on the Mob Rules album and tour, so either he OR Ward would have been acceptable.

It wouldn't make much difference to me if Ozzy never got back with Sabbath, mostly because they did it already and the Heaven And Hell show I saw a few years ago was so fucking good that I can't imagine Ozzy could have lived up to it. Different bands, yes...maybe apples and oranges re: Ozzy vs. Dio, but for me the idea of seeing Ozzy fronting Sabbath going through the greatest hits off the first, second, third and fourth Sabbath albums at this point - like, the nostalgia factor would wear off pretty quick.

Thread Information