Thread: Rest In Peace Ronnie James Dio

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Cancer Fucking Sucks!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXTL6EqHqkc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXTL6EqHqkc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Rock N Roll Outlaw
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No comments from Blackmore yet?

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ETK1upfNhAo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ETK1upfNhAo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kissfan1976 View Post
    Non That I have seen so far.

His web page is down , I think
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 05-17-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think everyone in the music bizz has made or will make a statement of some kind though. Except for Van Halen.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I think everyone in the music bizz has made or will make a statement of some kind though.
    Except for Van Halen.
    No kidding. The "News" section at the official site still has the Happy New Year message from December 29, 2009.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What can be said of Ronnie James Dio that wasn't already said while he was alive?

This was a man whose work ethic knew no boundaries, who seemingly had an inexhaustible amount of energy, vocal strength and musicianship. But I think, even greater than his work ethic and musical talent, that he had an limitless amount of time for his fans. When it comes to a musician being of the fans and for the fans, Ronnie James Dio epitomized that aspect of this whole thing we call being a rock star. This was a man who would wait through a line of fans seeking photographs, autographs or even just a second of his attention, and when he finally got to you (and he would, always), he had this almost magical ability to make you feel like you were THE biggest fan he had. Didn't quite get the right picture the first time? He'd take another with you. If his pen went dead, you weren't leaving until he found another and got you that autograph.

As Van Halen fans, we could only wish to be so lucky, am I right?

When you listened to his albums, they were...well, they fucking saved my life. As much shit in the world as I've gone through, one of the constant aspects I could always rely on was the ability to throw on some Elf, Rainbow, Sabbath or one of his solo albums and hear some deeper lyrics about pushing on through the eternal, endless battle of good vs. evil and finding light at the end of the tunnel...the light in the black, so to speak. There's a real depth to Ronnie's lyrics, a real visual and visceral power to them that you might not notice if you're not paying attention - but the message is always clear, always deep and always spiritual, insightful and enlightening. That, plus the fact that he always worked on OUR schedule, never his own, are the greatest gifts he could have left us with.

I myself thought that Ronnie would be with us forever, and my heart is more than broken - it's absolutely shattered. I first became exposed to Ronnie in 1981 when I heard the Mob Rules record, and although I was a bit young at the time to have it's impact stay with me, I think back now to that day and I realize that Ronnie's music has been an enormous part of my adolescence, youth and even adulthood. Without the prospect of buying a new Dio album every year or two, I feel that a big part of my musical circle has been broken. There are no young stars, no next generation metal singers who have any hope of ever achieving what Ronnie James Dio was and will always be.

He made the mold. He is THE icon. Others can cite Ozzy Osbourne, or maybe Ian Gillan, or any number of other singers from the era, but for me, they will always pale like a flickering candle compared to the raging inferno of the Ronnie James Dio legacy.

Metal today is not the same.
    Metal tomorrow will not be the same.
    Metal survives, but a big part of it's heart and soul is missing and always will be from now on.

But you never say never - we're gonna live forever. We've got time to burn, and right now the King of Rock and Roll is Breaking into Heaven. And in that sense, the sense that Ronnie always knew about our love, our passion, and how connected to him we all were, we can try to hold our heads high, be thankful for the TONS of fabulous, world-changing music he left us, and keep on rocking in his name. I don't claim to know the man, but if I understand even one fucking thing about his music, than I can say I know that's the way he would want us to continue.

Horns FOREVER up for Ronnie James Dio, and God bless him. I will miss you until I'm old and grey, my very good friend.

Twistin' by the pool.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Non That I have seen so far.

His web page is down , I think
    He did, but it was very brief. Just something about him being a vocal powerhouse and that he'd be missed. Not much else outside of that, I don't think. Don't have the exact quote, but it's on BM back a few pages.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    On that note, I kinda feel up for something uplifting....if I may....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/av3PH_RPM30&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/av3PH_RPM30&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This has been a terrible day since learning of Dio's passing.

Not much more I can say. Been a huge fan for years.

He will be greatly missed.

RIP RJD.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just sat down after a busy day and it's starting to sink in.
    Bueno bob's post speaks for me almost exactly.
    I'm not happy today.
    RJD is my favorite Rock and Roll singer (yes more than DLR) . I haven't felt this way since Frank Zappa passed (also from FUCKING CANCER) and James Brown.
    Normally I wouldn't be this affected by the passing of an entertainer or anyone I don't know but this has fucked me up.
    Dio and his music, especially with Rainbow and Sabbath, has been so much a part of my life I feel empty knowing that someone who has given me so much joy and inspiration is gone before his time.
    The Trolls in this thread should be ashamed of themselves

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bueno bob View Post
    He did, but it was very brief. Just something about him being a vocal powerhouse and that he'd be missed. Not much else outside of that, I don't think. Don't have the exact quote, but it's on BM back a few pages.
    RITCHIE BLACKMORE: RONNIE JAMES DIO 'Had A Unique And Wonderful Voice' - May 16, 2010
    Ronnie James Dio's former RAINBOW bandmate, guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, has released the following statement regarding the passing of the legendary heavy metal singer:

"Ronnie had a unique and wonderful voice. He will be sadly missed in the rock and roll world."
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    RITCHIE BLACKMORE: RONNIE JAMES DIO 'Had A Unique And Wonderful Voice' - May 16, 2010
    Ronnie James Dio's former RAINBOW bandmate, guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, has released the following statement regarding the passing of the legendary heavy metal singer:

"Ronnie had a unique and wonderful voice. He will be sadly missed in the rock and roll world."
    Ritchie is certainly a man of few words.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In BLACKMORE's defense...it's got to be difficult to sum up ones feelings for somebody and have it reduced to a soundbite...

RONNIE JAMES DIO

RIP brother....

A ICON of METAL....

Been listening to him non-stop since yesterday morning....

HEAVEN & HELL...Top 5 for me...

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX View Post
    I'm sorry to further take away from this sad topic but this post was some much needed comic relief.
    Didn't mean to derail anything. It was just a knee jerk reaction to the child lurerer's post. The diddler' probably couldn't name 3 of Ronnies songs without a Youtube search...

Always respected Ronnie's honesty and his appreciation of the fans. Was lucky to have met him @ NAMM '94. I was amazed at how
    such a huge voice could come from such a short guy...

A fuckin legend R.I.P. Ronnie!

(Ronnie telling it how it is...)
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOwZBo8FQvo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0 x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOwZBo8FQvo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0 x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Rock N Roll Outlaw
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    I just sat down after a busy day and it's starting to sink in.
    Bueno bob's post speaks for me almost exactly.
    I'm not happy today.
    RJD is my favorite Rock and Roll singer (yes more than DLR) . I haven't felt this way since Frank Zappa passed (also from FUCKING CANCER) and James Brown.
    Normally I wouldn't be this affected by the passing of an entertainer or anyone I don't know but this has fucked me up.
    Dio and his music, especially with Rainbow and Sabbath, has been so much a part of my life I feel empty knowing that someone who has given me so much joy and inspiration is gone before his time.
    The Trolls in this thread should be ashamed of themselves
    I feel the same way.
    This is the first "Rock Star" death that I have actually felt deeply sad about.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    In BLACKMORE's defense...it's got to be difficult to sum up ones feelings for somebody and have it reduced to a soundbite...
    Exactly...remember what happened to Paul McCartney when he was questioned outside of his home when Lennon was assassinated. The soundbite "It's a drag, innit?" was taken by some in the press to reveal McCartney was somehow unmoved by the event.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Judas Priest offered a message of sympathy for Dio's widow, Wendy: "We are filled with great sadness at the terrible news about our friend Ronnie James Dio. Our condolences and love go to Wendy [Dio, Ronnie's wife/manager] and Ronnie's family. ... Ronnie was a wonderful man and will be sorely missed."

Billy Corgan took to Twitter: "R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. I only got to meet him once and I can honestly say he was the nicest person I have ever met in music. ... Ronnie was a true gentleman, and obviously one of the best rock singers there will ever be. What a sad loss."

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At their show Sunday night at Lazerfest near Des Moines, Iowa, Alice Cooper and his band inserted a bit of Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" into their final song, "Under My Wheel," dedicating it to Dio. Bassist Chuck Garric played with Dio prior to joining Cooper's band, and both Cooper and Garric taped a special segment for the syndicated "Nights With Alice Cooper" radio program talking about their late friend.

"We used to have a lot of fun with Dio on the road," Cooper recalled. "(Drummer) Eric Singer could not help from going 'Holy Diver!' as loud as he could to the point where the manager finally says, 'Could you stop doing that? It's starting to annoy Ronnie.' And of course you don't say that to Eric Singer, because that just means he's going to double the efforts."

Garric added that Dio was "such a genuinely nice guy and welcomed me with open arms. From the moment I walked into the rehearsal rooms to audition, I felt at home...It was one of the greatest moments of my life, and it had changed my life. I owe him everything."

Over at Metallica.com, drummer Lars Ulrich posted a moving "A Letter to Ronnie," crediting Dio as "one of the main reasons I made it into the stage to begin with," saying that he first saw Dio as a member of the band Elf in 1975, opening for Deep Purple. "I was completely blown away by the power in your voice, your presence on stage, your confidence..." He also recalled going to the Plaza Hotel in Copenhagen when Dio came through with Blackmore's Rainbow and being impressed that Dio was "so kind and caring...I was on top of the world, inspired and ready for anything." Ulrich concluded that, "Ronnie, your voice impacted and empowered me, your music inspired and influenced me, and your kindness touched and moved me. Thank you."

Chickenfoot's Michael Anthony told Billboard.com that he used to cover "Man on the Silver Mountain with Van Halen and sharing the stage with Dio at some European festivals. "He was a great guy," Anthony said. "I remember when we opened for them, all of us were back at the hotel having some drinks; it was his birthday, and I remember us all just hanging out, and he was just a great guy, definitely a driving force in hard rock music."

Slayer guitarist Kerry King, who listened to "Man on the Silver Mountain" by Blackmore's Rainbow as a teenager, said that being able to meet Dio was one of his treasured memories. "Few people have had the ability to carry a song like Dio, literally demanding your attention as he effortlessly recreated live the amazing things he did on record," King said. "It's odd how things get taken from you quickly...I just saw him a month ago. I know I was lucky to have known Ronnie. One of the nicest guys in the business without a doubt. He will be hugely missed."

Anthrax's Joe Belladonna said that Dio "was a big inspiration, influence and dear friend of mine. He was a true gentleman and a kindhearted individual. He always would go out of his way to make you feel welcome and important. Without a doubt, he was one of the best, top notch and a class act. I will truly miss him." His bandmate, Charlie Benante, saluted Dio as "true metal and the creator of the metal hand Sign...He was Divine."

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OK, someone fill me in with that stuff between RJD and Vivian Campbell.... Dio really slammed him.....

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    OK, someone fill me in with that stuff between RJD and Vivian Campbell.... Dio really slammed him.....
    Long story short? Vivian talked vicious shit about him between, oh, 1986 up til...what, last week? Constantly...do a search for any Vivian interview ever since the mid 80s where they bring him up and get ready for the tirade...

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    And until that vid, Ronnie held his peace, not saying a bad thing about him at all. After all the cheap shots Viv Fuckhead took at him over the years, I would say Ronnie is entitled to his opinion.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-17-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It is still tough, reading through this thread, reading the articles on the internet, the posts by everyone great and small.

I just don't know.........our lives have all changed for the worse.....

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    THIS is the one I've been waiting for...

Ozzy Osbourne expresses condolences on Dio's death

NEW YORK — Ozzy Osbourne is expressing his sadness over the death of Ronnie James Dio.
    Dio died Sunday of stomach cancer at the age of 67. He had replaced Osbourne in Black Sabbath in 1980.
    On Monday, Osbourne paid respects to the man who would reshape the legendary heavy metal band.
    Said Osbourne in a statement: "I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Ronnie James Dio. Metal has truly lost one of its greatest voices. My heart goes out to his family and to his many fans."
    He added: "Love and respect."

diamonddavidleeroth.com
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a sad day!! I was really shocked when I read the news yesterday!! Even though I wasn't too optimistic when they canceled the summer tour....

Dio's one of my favorites musicians of all time!! I'm sure we all gonna miss him so much.

But I feel very proud to know and enjoy this great music since I was a little child and even more proud to watch his music live here in Brasil!!

Albums like Holy Diver, Heaven and Hell, Rising, Sacred Heart had a big impact on my life and his music will live foreve in our record players, cause he's got the midnight madness, he's got a soul, cause he's the king of rock n roll!! \m/

My condolences goes to Wendy Dio and all his family and friends and a couple of beers for Mr Walker, Wooda and Lesfunk, who are big fans of Dio!!

Now Playing: Invisible

R.I.P. Mr Ronnie James Dio

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Always said he was one of the best shows I ever saw-back in 86. A class act, a great guy and an incredible singer. Very sad. I now wish I had seen Heaven and Hell. RIP RJD.
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser!! View Post
    What a sad day!! I was really shocked when I read the news yesterday!! Even though I wasn't too optimistic when they canceled the summer tour....

Dio's one of my favorites musicians of all time!! I'm sure we all gonna miss him so much.

But I feel very proud to know and enjoy this great music since I was a little child and even more proud to watch his music live here in Brasil!!

Albums like Holy Diver, Heaven and Hell, Rising, Sacred Heart had a big impact on my life and his music will live foreve in our record players, cause he's got the midnight madness, he's got a soul, cause he's the king of rock n roll!! \m/

My condolences goes to Wendy Dio and all his family and friends and a couple of beers for Mr Walker, Wooda and Lesfunk, who are big fans of Dio!!

Now Playing: Invisible

R.I.P. Mr Ronnie James Dio
    Thank You Hellraiser! Good to hear from you

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I always prefferred Craig Goldy over Campbell.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post

Sorry to burst your fragile little ego, bucky...
    Gosh, how that video mysteriously vanished after I posted it - ?

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    Ya' wanna know what, dickhead?.....I've been reading your bullshit posts for 12 fucking years now..
    Know what? If you discipline your choice of posts to foment over, you'll avoid yourself the trouble of another 12.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kissfan1976 View Post
    If Blackmore offers no public condolences for one of the greatest, who most certainly helped boost his departure from Deep Purple to even higher celebrity and wealth, I'll be thinking alot less of him as a person.

The ONE guy you'd think to hear publicly on the issue of Dio's passing and he hasn't spoken yet? Fahhhhhhk...

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    If Blackmore offers no public condolences for one of the greatest, who most certainly helped boost his departure from Deep Purple to even higher celebrity and wealth, I'll be thinking alot less of him as a person.

The ONE guy you'd think to hear publicly on the issue of Dio's passing and he hasn't spoken yet? Fahhhhhhk...
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ritchie+Blackmore+speaks+about+Ronnie+James+Dio %27s+Passing

Try and keep up, Peabrain!

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Two sentences are nothing - he owes Dio more than that.

He wouldn't even have had a career if Dio didn't salvage what was left after Purple.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I honestly didn't know Dio recorded this song. Dream On is one of those legendary songs you shouldn't mess with, but holy shit! Dude made an awesome version of it. Even though I don't like Yngwie, he did kinda lay off on the important parts of the song & let Dio stand out.

Apologies if this has already been posted in this thread.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BaycOK66FAc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BaycOK66FAc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You'd think he'd have a bit more to say than that.

I've always thought Ritchie is a piece of wood as a person. He never proves me wrong....

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    You'd think he'd have a bit more to say than that.

I've always thought Ritchie is a piece of wood as a person. He never proves me wrong....
    What bothers me the most is the lack of media attention given to his passing. TMZ was right on it, but CNN and Yahoo buried the story toward the bottom of the page, and the story disappeared within a few hours. None of the local media in Austin mentioned it on newscasts or on their websites.

Rolling Stone has a small blurb I found at Yahoo music, but I won't link that piece of shit here because it was somewhat uncomplimentary to Ronnie.

I think the man deserved better. Rest in peace, Sir.
    Last edited by Doctor Dude; 05-18-2010 at 12:33 AM.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Of course there has been no mention whatsoever in the local media (TV and Newspapers) here in Gnashville.

Could be expected, as they are all still trying to recover from the floods, and, the media here is staffed by fucking hillbillies that ignore anything outside their limited view of what music is.

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If the news bits are just going to be rehashes of other news bits, then they should shut the fuck up. He accomplished enough in his lifetime that these journalists could take the effort to write more than they have been. I'm also sick of reading every other musician's tributes telling us how his music will "live on." Be original or shut up for fuck's sake.

Forgive me. I'm very fucking pissed off. Ronnie's gone and that cunt Bret Michaels is still making headlines.
    Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
    Originally posted by rustoffa
    Three words. WE WERE THERE.

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    <strike>
    Friend of mine called me today about Dio passing, he didn't know he had stomach cancer.

He says "you used to see him around all the time, why didn't you care to ever go up and meet him?"

First of all, while I think he's one of the greatest voices rock ever had, not far below Mercury or of course DLR.. it always bothered me that he had to be a fucking SatanPIMP. It wasn't enough that his voice was really good, he had to always go blathering on about the Devil, talking about witches and gypsies, shit like that which spiritually rubs me the wrong way and always will.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another if you were to tell me "ah but Gar he was a Gnostic.. he grew up Catholic and just felt above it or elightened over religion" because he did it a little at first in Rainbow. But he kept getting worse after Sabbath and then of course Dio.

He'll be looked upon as the Godfather of every satan-metal band that ever came up.. all this deathmetal shit thats out now - you can thank Dio for helping bring that to the forefront by breaking new ground in the Land of What's More Obscene to Teen's Parents.

I could list the dozens of paralells here, such as Slayer, Sodom, Cannibal Corpse and other such crap which are plain to see for folks unaware or have the good conscience not to pay attention. But as the eighties passed and Dio got lamer and suckier in his additional releases it became more difficult for him to go beyond the Devil Rock plateau. I mean, you cant' really get any lower than singing about bizarre satanic themes, demons, the wickedness of people and base human sinfulness - where can you go from there, talk shit about the Devil's Mother?

I just want to state a few obvious points on Dio's passing:

1. He was a millionaire, and just finished writing his biography. I'm not donating shit to any cause in his memory - but I will buy the book.
    2. I think he wasted the last quarter of his life, since he could have gone on to better and more positive music, or things like real estate, or started his own record label, unless he really wasn't very business-minded.
    3. There's that one spot in "Heaven and Hell" live, where he always encourages people's apostasy - or invariably his veiled reference to the defiant rebellion of God - and the concert audience reacts with enthusiastic applause... which I always thought he's going to be held accountable for that someday.

Today's that day. And there's always that last-chance to take a deep breath and reconsider one's course, yet I don't think Dio was able to change his course=too self-willed, self-serving and worldly to acknowledge his eternal position. We'll see though if Wendy ever makes a case for clarity on Dio's faith, or lack of faith and if not, well that's why I'd like to read his bio.</strike>

May G-d have mercy upon his family. From G-d we came, To G-d we Return.
    ~`~ Corrected response. ~`~
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Friend of mine called me today about Dio passing, he didn't know he had stomach cancer.

He says "you used to see him around all the time, why didn't you care to ever go up and meet him?"

First of all, while I think he's one of the greatest voices rock ever had, not far below Mercury or of course DLR.. it always bothered me that he had to be a fucking SatanPIMP. It wasn't enough that his voice was really good, he had to always go blathering on about the Devil, talking about witches and gypsies, shit like that which spiritually rubs me the wrong way and always will.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another if you were to tell me "ah but Gar he was a Gnostic.. he grew up Catholic and just felt above it or elightened over religion" because he did it a little at first in Rainbow. But he kept getting worse after Sabbath and then of course Dio.

He'll be looked upon as the Godfather of every satan-metal band that ever came up.. all this deathmetal shit thats out now - you can thank Dio for helping bring that to the forefront by breaking new ground in the Land of What's More Obscene to Teen's Parents.

I could list the dozens of paralells here, such as Slayer, Sodom, Cannibal Corpse and other such crap which are plain to see for folks unaware or have the good conscience not to pay attention. But as the eighties passed and Dio got lamer and suckier in his additional releases it became more difficult for him to go beyond the Devil Rock plateau. I mean, you cant' really get any lower than singing about bizarre satanic themes, demons, the wickedness of people and base human sinfulness - where can you go from there, talk shit about the Devil's Mother?

I just want to state a few obvious points on Dio's passing:

1. He was a millionaire, and just finished writing his biography. I'm not donating shit to any cause in his memory - but I will buy the book.
    2. I think he wasted the last quarter of his life, since he could have gone on to better and more positive music, or things like real estate, or started his own record label, unless he really wasn't very business-minded.
    3. There's that one spot in "Heaven and Hell" live, where he always encourages people's apostasy - or invariably his veiled reference to the defiant rebellion of God - and the concert audience reacts with enthusiastic applause... which I always thought he's going to be held accountable for that someday.

Today's that day. And there's always that last-chance to take a deep breath and reconsider one's course, yet I don't think Dio was able to change his course=too self-willed, self-serving and worldly to acknowledge his eternal position. We'll see though if Wendy ever makes a case for clarity on Dio's faith, or lack of faith and if not, well that's why I'd like to read his bio.
    What the fuck have you accomplished in your miserable life?

Now STFU and crawl back under that rock from wentz you came...

Thread Information