Thread: Has Dave sold out ????

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Has Dave sold out ????

It's been 3 years since he has said anything !! Other than that shitty interview that kid did a few years ago on You Tube. Not the Dave Roth that I know and love !! All just too work with the sisters !! Come on Dave give me a break !!! Go in the studio with a great guitar player and hit the road !! Ed's probably designing Tee shirts !!! The original Van Halen slipped away in 96. Thought it would be fun to stir the pot a little !! Is he better off on his own ?? A new VH CD with Dave is starting too sound silly to me for some reason.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Could'nt agree more...
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I may be nuts, but I still think that not hearing from Dave is a good sign... Am I towards the end of my patience with it? Fuck yes...

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If the Sisters can't get their shit together by end of this year.......Dave needs to dump them like a bad habit.

If I can't have a fractured CVH album.......I'd rather hear Dave solo.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How do you know he's even interested any more? Maybe he's done with rock and roll.

I remember him saying something to the effect of...there should be a reunion tour and then everyone could move on and do whatever after that...

I doubt he'd put together another solo effort...and as much as I'd love to see him again...I hope he does not do anymore solo tours just on the old music...
    Same ole song and dance...

On Fire
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post
    How do you know he's even interested any more? Maybe he's done with rock and roll.
    No way! He looked happier then ever on the last VH tour.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Daves silence means he is still with the Van Halen camp. Maybe only by a thread. But you can bet your last dollar that if he officially parts with them, he will speak up. As far as him just being "done" with rock and roll...Dave has said many times "At the end of the day, I sing for my dinner". It's his profession and his love. He will continue to be in the music biz until he is no longer capable.

Now, to calm people down a bit, we are only at about the 2 year mark since the tour ended. 2 years between projects is not long in todays music climate. I know it feels like forever ago that they toured, but 2 years isn't all that long. I also know that 2 years feels extra long after all the previous years they wasted.

Personally, I'm giving them the length of 2010 to do something. If by Dec 31 we still haven't heard a peep, then I think we can begin to just write them off.

The only sad part is that they had awesome buzz about a year ago, which had they been smart they would have capitalized on. The movies with CVH songs in the commercials (3 I believe), the video game, etc... They were being heard everywhere. It was a great opportunity to do something and they squandered it. They should have at least recorded 1 - 2 songs to release as singles. Iron Man 2 should be using a CVH song instead of AC/DC.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    The original Van Halen slipped away in 96.
    Typo I hope?

Oh dear.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It'd be a shame for me as a fan if Roth decided to retire from touring, regardless of what band he was in, but it wouldn't be too hard to get over it at this point.

Have seen the guy live enough times, and I personally wouldn't want Roth to keep carrying on if he felt like he had to in order only to keep his coffers full, without any real sense of purpose beyond that. This is the feeling I get when I see Gene and Paul still trundling on these days, and it's the feeling I got from the Van Halens in 2004 and 2007: they needed a cash fix. Ed in particular those last two tours wasn't in a condition to play as well as he could. Whatever my misgivings were about Van Halen 3, from the live clips I saw Ed still had the fire in the belly.

Roth stepped up to the plate and delivered a strong series of performances on the last tour. Not surprising, because the guy has never failed to deliver the goods live, even when I've seen him in smaller venues and events where just about anyone else would have half-assed it.

Eddie Van Halen clearly was content to half-ass his contributions to the last tour. That's not something I'd want to see Dave attach his name to. It would be understandable that he'd want to do one last tour with 'Van Halen' even if it was only 3/4s of the lineup and Ed wasn't up to snuff. One can forgive him for doing that once. For him to continue down that road...that'd be enough for me to hold the guy in the same degree of contempt I hold the Van Halens in these days. Not that any of it matters...not to Roth, the Van Halens...or even me when all is said and done. The fever pitch I was at in 1996 and the huge sense of being bummed out and pissed off when THAT reunion attempt didn't bear touring fruit just isn't there anymore.

If Roth and the Van Halens want to go down the KISS road, well, thanks for the 6-pack and the memories.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoes, Sensible View Post
    Typo I hope?
    In 96 I think the band could have been great still if it would have happened then. Meaning an album and tour. It had only been 12 years at that point. They were all still younger then & original bass player was still around. Eddie was fantastic on the VH3 album tour !! That should have been Dave. Hell I enjoyed the 07 show. Ed played great here in MN. I just think it's lame for Dave to think he can't open his mouth for a interview or else !!! If he's fine with it that's cool, I think it sucks !! Ed & Al are assholes. Dave should walk I think. But If they do something great I'll buy it. He has been in in worse situations at some points in his career. I just miss his wise ass lately !!!

fished
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I liked Van Cherone more than the Sammy era because it dared to go places. Eddie seemed hungry at the time - but he thinks he owns the place (and quite honestly he does but you gotta be humble about the fingers God gave ya.) I can see why Roth left the brothers. Wow fame. Must fuck with ya. Hmmm has Dave sold out? Man, his tongue is so far in his cheek that his Rothisms have become folklore. He's one of the few performers I've seen that has sold out and yet has kept the most integrity, brilliant!

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by simarillion View Post
    I liked Van Cherone
    So YOU'RE the one!

Seriously....the only thing that made the Cherone-era even remotely palatable was Gary's willingness and outright enthusiasm about performing Classic Van Halen tracks on their tour.

I actually credit that with getting Eddie's fire lit again for Dave's return. I know that the "Wolfgang with his iPod full of CVH" is the popular story behind the reunion. And perhaps that was the final push to make it happen.

But I honestly believe it started with Gary performing CVH on the VH III tour....making Ed remember just how great those songs are, and how much fun they are to play.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    And how much better Dave was at doing them!

Gotta admit.....on the reunion tour Dave kicked fucking ass! Sang his way through parts of songs, where in days gone by he would talk his way through, or hoot and holler or something.

He was an absolute professional. Totally kicked fucking ass!

He has always been that way though. Saw him in a club in Wichita, KS in the late 90s. Was absolutely great. The Spam & Dave Tour, he showed the world what a flabby, half-assed loser Spamulus Flatulus the tequila salesman was.

I DO hope they tour again!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There is no way Dave is done as a solo artist, regardless the outcome of VH. The guy lives to perform. Unlike Kiss, Dave actually has an artistic bone in his body, plus a drive to continually branch out musically. It has to be killing him waiting in the wings for something to happen. If anything, it is giving him more ideas for songs and lyrics. Lets just hope that Dave, amongst his other ventures, finds the time to sit down with his guitar.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dont agree that 2 years is not a long time.Iron Maiden did a 'WORLD' tour in 2008 and since then have released a DVD of that tour, almost completed a new album and will AGAIN start a new tour in support of the album this year.Bands like this keep a quick pace, to strike while the iron is hot and more importantly give the fans what they want.Something current VH has no idea about.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    There is no way Dave is done as a solo artist, regardless the outcome of VH. The guy lives to perform. Unlike Kiss, Dave actually has an artistic bone in his body, plus a drive to continually branch out musically. It has to be killing him waiting in the wings for something to happen. If anything, it is giving him more ideas for songs and lyrics. Lets just hope that Dave, amongst his other ventures, finds the time to sit down with his guitar.
    Spot on, bro

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    And how much better Dave was at doing them!

Gotta admit.....on the reunion tour Dave kicked fucking ass! Sang his way through parts of songs, where in days gone by he would talk his way through, or hoot and holler or something.

He was an absolute professional. Totally kicked fucking ass!

He has always been that way though. Saw him in a club in Wichita, KS in the late 90s. Was absolutely great. The Spam & Dave Tour, he showed the world what a flabby, half-assed loser Spamulus Flatulus the tequila salesman was.

I DO hope they tour again!
    Roth really did perform very well on the 2007-2008 dates...agreed 100% that it was great to see him singing virtually every verse, keeping the inbetween song patter to a minimum. His voice was in really good form, and in many ways his level of performance went a little beyond what I thought he would have been capable of by the time the reunion finally happened. The solo gigs I saw in 2005 and 2006 were solid, but he took it up a notch for Van Halen, where he could have easily just stood center stage, held the mic out towards the audience, did his typical Diamond Dave routine, collected his paycheck and buggered off.

Shame Eddie wasn't capable of doing likewise.

tod@megachump.com
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the reunion tour was simply driven by EVH's empty piggy bank. Of course, AFTER the reunion (i.e. when they actually toured), I'd say they actually jammed and had a good thing with lots of mental breakthrough. EVH got married...Wolf graduating..then the show will be back for our enjoyment. Meanwhile, I suspect a Blu-Ray of the tour coming out. Personally..this sounds corny I know but...remember when the Beatles had that cartoon? Wouldn't it be cool to have a VH cartoon? They could just read some script and the artists could fill in all the rest and play some stuff off the collection. I'm sure Dave would have a ton of creative input for the writers, too.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Van Halen is about as stable as Linsay Lohan on crack, Flinstone vitamins, and Yoohoo. Anything can happen it just takes ten years for it to happen.

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yesss he has sold out...arenas that is!
    Originally posted by Cato
    Golden, why are you FAT?
    Originally posted by lesfunk
    Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Yucca Man
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Oakland Coliseum 7000 Coliseum Way Oakland, California Section 130 Seats 13-14 Wear Black. Bring Beer.
    Status
    Never, in his wildest dreams, did Starwood think Bret Michaels would become a bigger star than DLR.
    Helping RothTards speak in the 3rd person since 2004!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwood View Post
    Never, in his wildest dreams, did Starwood think Bret Michaels would become a bigger star than DLR.
    Brett.....let me see.......

celebrity douche - Yes
    Star - Never

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You knows,,,,,, if yous wants cookie cutters and junk brands, there is always the ga ga lands.

Brass and glass and everything crass......
    Nice for a visit wouldn't want to live there.....
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tod View Post
    Wouldn't it be cool to have a VH cartoon? They could just read some script and the artists could fill in all the rest and play some stuff off the collection. I'm sure Dave would have a ton of creative input for the writers, too.
    It already is a cartoon.

besides Id rather new music than a cartoon. i suspect summer is VH time, as it has been for 30 yrs or so. So let's wait til summer to find out whats going on.

78/84Guy:

"Dave selling out?". Dave decided to make 20 million or so. Not selling out. Probably been in the jungle for a year!
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    78/84Guy:

"Dave selling out?". Dave decided to make 20 million or so. Not selling out. Probably been in the jungle for a year!
    Selling out might be a little strong. If Dave made 20 million on that tour he should be set for life right ??? Why work with those asshole's ?? If you need a gag order to do it thats bullshit and not rock n roll !! and not Dave Roth !! Unless he is in the jungle. He did run the N.Y. Marathon I think. A new disc & tour won't hurt his pocket book I guess. Whatever, If he's happy thats cool.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave has sold out... All sales final... No refunds...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    He was willing to give it up years ago when he became an EMT. If the radio gig never came along...

From a Jan. 2006 article:

"When I started doing my EMT work, I had no idea the radio job was even on the horizon. It only showed up at the beginning of the summer. I thought I had the future in sight. I was going to coast - fat, slow and happy. Just when I tried to get out, they dragged me right in again!"

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Relax everyone - Dweezil just heard the new album. Dave and VH will be ruling the world again soon.

Thread Information