Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: While everybody else is making music, Van Halen is making MORE T-SHIRTS!!

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Kiss are whores? no way! I bought the Gene Simmons coffin for only $5000....Thats a fuckin steal! I hear Edwards coffin comes with him in it! Oooooh....boo hiss...yup I went there.
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Troubles View Post
    Kiss are whores? no way! I bought the Gene Simmons coffin for only $5000....Thats a fuckin steal!
    Not so fast. If you take the time to read the fine print of the sales contract, you'll discover that you (as the purchaser) are responsible for digging it up.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    I just meant that in the absence of any new recordings, in the absence of any of the shows that FANS DEMAND on DVD (1978-1984), in the absence of any word at all directly from Howdy Doody Mountain, they are simply releasing other merchandise. T-shirts, shoes, guitars, stompboxes.

I mean, hell, it would not be so bad if they would at least cater to the fans wishes and release some DVDs. Look at the top selling rock bands? Iron Maiden for one, Kiss for another. They are releasing tons of content, which includes FULL REMASTERED CONCERTS from their early years.

Christ, Kiss has put out what, at least half a dozen or more shows as part of their "Kisstory" series? Iron Maiden started out with "The Early Years" which had 3 or 4 shows alone! Then the follow-up had the remasted Live After Death!

Since VH tours only very occasionally, and studio material is even more sporadic, it only makes sense to release other content on a musical level to keep the fans happy, even if it is only old shows.

In this particular case, a huge majority of fans want stuff from the classic lineup! (Which, by the way, includes bass player).

DAVE OR THE GRAVE, BABY!
    It really is baffling as to how VH year after year fails to get 'dem vaults cleaned out and released for the fans to purchase.

I dunno if it has to do with Ed and his fucked up sense of logic, or some kind of legal logjam over ownership rights...

I honestly think if WB flat-out had the rights to the material and were free to release it as they pleased, they would have by now, with or without the consent of the Van Halens.

I mean, in a lot of ways Simmons is a greedy, charmless fucker. HOWEVER, to his and Stanley's credit they aren't intimidated by their past to the point where they let it interfere with getting their classic footage out there for sale. I have to imagine Ed doesn't even want to LOOK OR LISTEN to vaulted CVH material, because it would only confrim in explicit terms what he may only suspect at present regarding just how much time he's wasted and how his own bad habits have eroded his talents and abilities.

Dunno about the rest of you, but if a scenario were put to me that either a) Ed, Dave, Al and Wolfie and/or Mike hit the road for another greatest hits tour or b) the CVH vaults get cleaned up and released, I'd honestly rather have the latter.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Not so fast. If you take the time to read the fine print of the sales contract, you'll discover that you (as the purchaser) are responsible for digging it up.
    lol shit....really? figures....fkn Gene...

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It really is baffling as to how VH year after year fails to get 'dem vaults cleaned out and released for the fans to purchase.

I dunno if it has to do with Ed and his fucked up sense of logic, or some kind of legal logjam over ownership rights...

I mean, in a lot of ways Simmons is a greedy, charmless fucker. HOWEVER, to his and Stanley's credit they aren't intimidated by their past to the point where they let it interfere with getting their classic footage out there for sale. I have to imagine Ed doesn't even want to LOOK OR LISTEN to vaulted CVH material, because it would only confrim in explicit terms what he may only suspect at present regarding just how much time he's wasted and how his own bad habits have eroded his talents and abilities.

Dunno about the rest of you, but if a scenario were put to me that either a) Ed, Dave, Al and Wolfie and/or Mike hit the road for another greatest hits tour or b) the CVH vaults get cleaned up and released, I'd honestly rather have the latter.
    I honestly dont think Paul has any say in the KISS material.

I also think Edward is somewhat "embarrassed" with the vault materail. I recall Alex saying "its unreleased for a reason". Im guessing they don't feel its "worthy" of any kind of release. Maybe Dave and Wolf will push for it? Im sure dave has mentioned something to them about it by now? Same with WB.

Also, is VH under a WB contract? or are they going to release under their own deal?

But I do agree with ya, Id rather an album (new material maybe with ONE cover tune) and a second cd of previously unreleased material and perhaps as a nice Xmas bonus for us, a live DVD of their recent tour or an old 81 tour. fuck a new tour. gimme new tunes! Fuckn six albums in 30 yrs??? jesus...

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Meanwhile, looks like Metallica rules the world...

And Van Halen?
    Well, Nothing Else Matter. Metallica has a great website. They sell each and every live presentation, 99 cents per live song. Where is the "Live with Dave" tour music?? Looks like they went "Death Magnetic".

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey, after releasing VH3, Ed and Al have no leg to stand on in claiming they are embarrassed by the quality of any vaulted CVH material.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hey, after releasing VH3, Ed and Al have no leg to stand on in claiming they are embarrassed by the quality of any vaulted CVH material.
    Yeah, no kidding... even a sloppy Fair Warning show would mop the floor with 90% of what's floating on the airwaves today...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Yeah, no kidding... even a sloppy Fair Warning show would mop the floor with 90% of what's floating on the airwaves today...
    One of the few things EVH said in 1996 that was at least understandable in terms of various rationales to NOT tour with Dave was that Ed didn't want Van Halen looked upon as a nostalgia act.

Fair enough. Hire a new singer, release new music, have the entity known as 'Van Halen' continue on as a band with a creative future...regardless of how people reacted to the new music, Van Halen even as late as 1998 were still a band.

Van Halen these days IS a nostalgia act.

According to Ed, he sees no point in even bothering to put out new music.

If you're gonna slap the 80s Franky logo on t-shirts, effects pedals and sneakers, authorize a company to build replicas of Franky at 30k a pop and go out on tour with Roth to flog the oldies, why in the fuck NOT clear the vaults at this point?

I could understand the strategy in not wanting to emphasize the CVH years when Hagar and Cherone were in the band. Failure to do so now is simply bad business practice.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm beginning to have mixed feelings now on the Dave reunion of 07/08. I know we all prayed for that day to come. Dave back in VH. I went to the show and it blew me away. At least 5 times I nearly teared up with happiness. It was like a religious experience.

But the way things have transpired, I'm thinking maybe it was a bad idea. Because since joining back with Ed, Dave is silent. Is that what we gave up for the reunion? The end of Dave ever doing anything again? If so, it was not worth it. Had he not reunited, I'm sure he would have put out at least 1 album since 2006 and probably toured 2-3 times. Maybe made a cameo in a TV show, and be finishing part 2 of his autobiography.

I'm glad we got the reunion. But I don't want to lose Dave over it. The guy is just way too talented to not be working something. Anything.

I really hope he knows wtf he is doing and not just holding his breath to appease Eddie.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    World War III will start and Obama will declare marshall law before Van Halen gets another album out. Then we will be too busy trying to survive than worrying what Van Halen is doing. LOL!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gene Simmons is Jewish. He's going to make his money one way or another. Possibly this money drive made the band the interesting enterprise it is and it survived because Gene always watched the money while Ace and Peter got high as a kite and dove into the bottle. Interesting musicians but it's clear Gene kept it going for good or bad. Gene Simmons is basically a businessman with some weird money making ideas. He admits readily he's a narcisist and 100% money driven. At least he's honest.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave was dropped by his label and then tried various ventures unsuccessfully. Probably the main reason is Dave doesn't play corporate politics and they can't control him. I don't think Dave spends a lot of money either so he probably doesn't have to work. I think he wants to do at least one more kick ass VH album and this seems to be in the making now. Alex and Eddie are more domesticated that in the days when they knocked an album out in the couple of days and went on the road again. Ed owns the studio and has full control too which with this guy, it seems like it takes forever anymore to get anything done.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Or maybe Wolfie actually had to learn how to play the bass so that's tying things up. LOL! He has to memorize the notes on the neck and learn to tune to E A D G. LOL!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    He has to memorize the notes on the neck and learn to tune to E A D G. LOL!

" E A D G"?

E ddie

A lex

D ave

G ravyboy

Easy enough to memorize. Like the stupid things they use in bartending school to help you remember drinks. All I remember from that is "Fran The Russian Bitch In The Kitchen".

F ran = Frangelico

R ussian = Vodka

B itch = Baileys

K itchen = Kahlua

Yummy

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Fran bitch looks like a tasty black russian. I want one and I want one now! Gravy boy. LOL!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Back on topic I thought the t-shirts on the last tour were pretty poor. Generic and not a lot of thought. Also mine isn't lasting too well.

In general Van Halen t-shirts aren't that useful because the of the general problem with the band.

You need the t-shirt to say 'Van Halen but only the version with Dave Lee Roth not that little fat guy that sang all the AOR stuff later, I totally agree that was complete shit'.

Otherwise I worry that people will see me and think I listen to Dreams. Obviously your person civilian doesn't attach significance to the design of the logo...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I'm beginning to have mixed feelings now on the Dave reunion of 07/08. I know we all prayed for that day to come. Dave back in VH. I went to the show and it blew me away. At least 5 times I nearly teared up with happiness. It was like a religious experience.

But the way things have transpired, I'm thinking maybe it was a bad idea. Because since joining back with Ed, Dave is silent. Is that what we gave up for the reunion? The end of Dave ever doing anything again? If so, it was not worth it. Had he not reunited, I'm sure he would have put out at least 1 album since 2006 and probably toured 2-3 times. Maybe made a cameo in a TV show, and be finishing part 2 of his autobiography.

I'm glad we got the reunion. But I don't want to lose Dave over it. The guy is just way too talented to not be working something. Anything.

I really hope he knows wtf he is doing and not just holding his breath to appease Eddie.
    Not...so...sure...I agree...

Can't really say I was overwhelmed with the 2003 Diamond Dave CD, Van Strumming or the radio show.

What I DO lament having gone by the wayside once Roth started working with the sisters again was that slamming solo touring band Roth had backing him in 2005 and 2006...even after Luzier split, Roth's band delivered the goods live and it was a real treat to see it in (by necessity, doubtless) smaller venues.

Hey, Roth would have been a fool NOT to get together with the Van Halens for a large payday headlining 17,000 seat arenas. From my point of view, though, Van Halen 2007/2008 didn't QUITE come up with the goods, a small percentage of which has to do with Wolfie being there instead of Biff Malibu but a far larger percentage of which has to do with EVH (for whatever reasons - alcohol, age, attitude) just not being able to play as well as he used to.

I mean, bit of a shame that it wasn't all it could have been or what one might have hoped for, although the paradox is it probably was better than one could expect in some ways considering the years / brain cells wasted and relative age of the band.

It was neat to see, but wasn't exactly mindblowing or a stellar concert.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    When Ed's idea's for gearwhoring finally dries up, like his musically creative one's ( he's yet to prove me wrong on this), ONLY then will he pillage the vaults...
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Back on topic I thought the t-shirts on the last tour were pretty poor. Generic and not a lot of thought. Also mine isn't lasting too well.

In general Van Halen t-shirts aren't that useful because the of the general problem with the band.

You need the t-shirt to say 'Van Halen but only the version with Dave Lee Roth not that little fat guy that sang all the AOR stuff later, I totally agree that was complete shit'.

Otherwise I worry that people will see me and think I listen to Dreams. Obviously your person civilian doesn't attach significance to the design of the logo...

I made my own t shirt at vistaprint.com

Black crew, 1979 tour pics of all four separated and boxed. The Mighty Van Halen written across the top. $26 + $7 for shipping.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Troubles View Post
    I made my own t shirt at vistaprint.com

Black crew, 1979 tour pics of all four separated and boxed. The Mighty Van Halen written across the top. $26 + $7 for shipping.
    Cool, got a pic.?

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What I really can't understand is the silence, it's cost VH a lot of fans. You can't post one fucking update once every six months or so?

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    its listed at $12 plus shipping. easy sign up. even easier to design. took me a few minutes.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cool, but do you have a larger pic, kinda difficult to make out the images...

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowOfTheWave View Post
    What I really can't understand is the silence, it's cost VH a lot of fans. You can't post one fucking update once every six months or so?
    I think it keeps people wanting more or the casual fan would go "Oh Cool?! VH has a new ablum out??? sweet"

imo

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Any Pictures?
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    scroll up! waaaaaay up! should be a few!

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Let's try this: One of us should "post" in front of 5150 studios in LA and see if something is happening...

Thread Information