Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lesfunk
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

For the sake of argument, Let's say he's as good as everyone says. Do you think the Nats will be willful enough to shut him down in Sept. if they are 2,3,4 games out and have a chance of making the post season??
    http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Bob_R
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
      How many pitchers have ever had 14 K's in a game, let alone their first start?
      J.R. Richard fanned 15 for the Houston Astros in 1971.
      Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Rhetorical...I saw that too...

JR Richard was awesome, done in by a stroke in the prime of his career. Definitely one of the most overlooked pitchers ever...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Jagermeister
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Not a great performance against the Indians. Small problem with mound. Welcome to the big's!

Comment

• Bob_R
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Strasburg suffered his first loss tonight but struck out nine to raise his K total to 41 thru 4 starts.
            Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• Jagermeister
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Bob_R
              Strasburg suffered his first loss tonight but struck out nine to raise his K total to 41 thru 4 starts.
              So. Is he great?

I like the guy I think he is great.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

He had 9 K's in six innings...but again...No K's. He's struck out 41 batters in 25.1 innings pitched, which is crazy good. He's throwing 75% strikes overall...has a 1.78 ERA...

He did give up 9 hits yesterday, which does suggest teams are doing their homework...and we are talking about Kansas City as well...

But still...kid seems for real.

He does give up a lot of fly ball outs at times, and I do wonder what a patient team will do against him. His pitches have so much movement, that he gets a lot of swinging strikes that are likely balls. A good ump, that calls it through the strike zone, and not in the glove...may give him a bad day.

Still...great pitcher....

We'll see what happens come August...
                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• High Life Man
                  Commando
                  • Jan 2004

Catfish brought up a good point - let's talk about him after teams get a chance to face him more than once.

No doubt though, he's got talent. The All-Star talk needs to stop immediately, however.

Comment

• Bob_R
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

He'll be on national TV (Fox) on Saturday pitching vs. the Mets for anyone that's interested.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Tommy John time...

Schilling had a great piece on him today...comparing him to Josh Johnson...both high heat guys that are 6'5".

Johnson has a sound delivery all the way through, and Strasburg, who's delivery isn't horrid...but is off at points...may have allowed stress with the kind of velocity he's throwing...

So now, the question is whether or not this kid will come back trying to figure out how to throw and be injury prone throughout his career (say, like Kerry Wood), or will he come back with a stronger arm (most do after TJ surgery), a new delivery...and more wicked stuff...

Bad luck for Washington, who will lose two years of his services...if the latter is true...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Can't say I'm surprised with it, unfortunately....
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

You know...

if it is the mechanics...then you hammer Washington for it...even if it started prior to the majors...

Another reason why you don't rush a guy up, even though I likely would have too. As good as he is, he needed a couple of years of work on his mechanics...at least a year...

Now...he could turn into Mark Prior...who had dramatic (much more than Stasburg) mechanics issues...but was never able to work it out in the minors until his velocity was damaged...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

When you throw a 90MPH change-up, where the goal is to keep your arm speed as close to that of your fastball as possible, that's a lot of torque on the arm...
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

Yeah...that helps...

But the real culprit is the "length" of his delivery...in particular...with the curve, which he throws at a crazy 82-85 MPH...

He's bringing his arm behind his torso...and coming around below vertical...

There's the "extra" torque on top of what you are talking about...on all his pitches...especially the curve...

but...also his fastball and "changeup..."

Which is why his arm blew up this year...and not a couple of years from now...like Prior...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

This guy throws only about 58% fastballs...and on top of that...a four-seam and a two seam...

His curve slightly over 25% of the time...that's a ton of curves for a power pitcher...

and 16% changeups...equally a high number for a power pitcher...

They need to adjust his taking the ball back...and force that fastball number up to 85-90%...the movement an over the top two and four seamer...

then utilize the changeup more effectively...

Of course...his heat may be MORE after this surgery...so who knows...

Comment

Working...