X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Stephen Strasburg

This kid is the real deal...if they don't burn him out. They have him on a 90-pitch count...and his stuff is flippin' wicked.

It's early...but he mowed down the Pirates. 14 K's in seven innings...and only 94 pitches...

Of course...it's the Pirates. And then the Indians. Hell, the Nationals even brought him up against bad teams...another good move...

If you haven't watched him pitch...watch Sunday when he pitches again...

upper 90's fastball
    12-to-6 curveball
    slurve
    change

all plus pitches...

good stuff...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I don't watch much baseball anymore, but I caught that last night. Pretty impressive.
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Washington was smart to start him against the Pirates, whom are not exactly a hitting powerhouse. The thing is, the "Natinals" really seem to banking their future on the kid, which is both good and bad. Good, because attendance is up something like 1000%. Bad, because attendance is up something like 1000%, and the temptation to over-use the guy and burn him out is strong. Remember, this is the same manager that overworked the Cubs' Kerry Wood, a pitcher that never fully recovered from the experience.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Catfish
        Sniper
        • Jan 2004

My Strasberg boner is only a semi right now. One of those things, I think, where we'll have to wait and see what happens when video builds up on the guy and teams get a second look at him.

Comment

• Bob_R
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Here is Strasburg's numbers from his MLB debut last night:

IP 7
          Hits 4
          Runs 2
          ER 2
          K 14
          BB 0
          Pitches 94
          Strikes 65
          Top speed 100 mph
          Attendance 40,315
          Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• Jagermeister
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

The kid is being touted as a phenom.

We will just have to wait and see.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

How many pitchers have ever had 14 K's in a game, let alone their first start?

That alone makes him a phenom...

As for overuse...94 pitches. If they keep him to the 90-pitch count per game...he won't get overused...

Wood threw over 100 pitches in 22 of 26 starts...so we'll see...
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

I do agree though...you have to wait and see what happens in a month...after there has been extensive video on the kid. But...

there hasn't been this kind of buzz in baseball in awhile...

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

It makes me sick to think that the Mariners could have had him, if they hadn't swept the As in the last series of a meaningless 2008 season. All they had to do was lose one of those three games, and he'd be a Mariner.
                  ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                  Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                    I do agree though...you have to wait and see what happens in a month...after there has been extensive video on the kid. But...

there hasn't been this kind of buzz in baseball in awhile...
                    Yeah he's something else. I missed the game last night so I will have to check him Sunday. And yeah 90 pitches ain't shit to a big league player.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Yeah yeah yeah, it was against the fucking Pirates, what a fucking embarassment....

Give Strasburg full props, the kid's got some amazingly filthy stuff....

But the Pirates' hitters were swinging at some pretty bad pitches as well....

Let's see what he does against at team that can, you know, hit....
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

While we all know that the Pirates haven't been a major league town in nearly 20 years...it's stil pretty good striking out a quad-A team, right?

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Oh, hell yes POJ, but it was equally astounding that he didn't offer up a single walk. Terrific performance.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Yeah, but like I said, let's see what he does against a team that has better plate discipline....

But I give the guy props, when you have a fucking 90MPH CHANGE-UP, then knock it down to a 70MPH nasty curve, then ramp it up to a 100MPH fastball, that's really keeping the hitters off balance....
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Jagermeister
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

They play the Rangers the 22nd.

Comment

Working...