Thread: Who are the new guitar gods?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Question Who are the new guitar gods?

So maybe it's the death of Ronnie James Dio, I don't know, but was thinking about the fact that for the most part, our guitar heroes are getting old (like their fans). So, who are the guys who are going to accept the challenge, get handed the torch, whatever?

I'm talking people under say...35. Which I'm pretty sure rules out someone like Guthrie Govan, who I think is among the best of the new crop..

Alexi Laiho? Good, but not necessarily stunning, or breaking new ground. Dragonfarce? Uh, no.

So who? Anyone? Bueller?

5 TIME CHAMPS!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That’s a tough question, my man. In my opinion, there are no great new bands out there, so by thinking like that I don’t see a guitar player around who plays like a God. I don’t see a Hendrix, Rhoads, EVH, SRV or Vai in the making. Zakk is the only player that comes to mind, maybe as a Demigod? I know you’re not too big on him.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GO-SPURS-GO View Post
    That’s a tough question, my man. In my opinion, there are no great new bands out there, so by thinking like that I don’t see a guitar player around who plays like a God. I don’t see a Hendrix, Rhoads, EVH, SRV or Vai in the making. Zakk is the only player that comes to mind, maybe as a Demigod? I know you’re not too big on him.
    Zakk's cool, but he's 43. And more people I dig are also DQ'd in this scenario: Jerry Cantrell, Dean Deleo...and even if they weren't, they're still all writers of HUGE riffs (still more important, btw) but neither really breath-taking soloists.

Agree about great new bands. Not much out there. But who will end the long cycle of shoe-gazing, pouty 1-finger playing downtuned Emo kids? The 20-somethings I work with suggest bands like Wolfmother (not really) and another girl I know suggested My Chemical Romance, and while they're OK...liked the 1st record better than the second. And there's no real shreddery goin' on there?

Guthrie Govan's 39...missed it by this much...

Seems they've taken the video of him doing Steve Vai's epic EEAS "Big Trouble" solo down, so let's instead substitute this dude and hope he's within the demographic we're talkin' about here.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The idea that there are no 'great' new bands out there is, frankly, laughable. Is there great music that sounds like bands did in the 1970s and 1980s? No - but if bands engaged in shameless emulation, how would they ever be great? There are bands out there pushing the boundaries of heavy music, and I would argue that prog is having a revival.

I think we need to think about the term 'guitar God' - what do we mean? If we're looking for the plank-spanking solos of yore, then maybe there aren't any guys doing that. Not because they can't, but because music has moved on, and the music they use their talents to make has moved on too. So, if you're looking for today's guitar Gods, you have to broaden what you mean.

I'll give you an example: Dimebag Darrell could play everything and anything that Eddie, Randy, Michael Schenker or any other guitar legend could play, but he did something else with his sound too. These days, I would argue that the guitar's role in heavy music has become divorced from the 80s a move further - its role in the music is subtler, less 'hey Mom, watch this' but rather something adding tones and textures underneath.

That's the non guitar player pont of view, anyway. I'll post some names after I've had a think about this.....
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ORIANTHI !!!!

Aussie chick in her 20's,

With Steve VAI, is this the passing of the torch routine at the crossroads ??

BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    As good as Orianthi is, I don't see longevity outside the pop world. Don't get me wrong, she is a fantastic player (and easy on the eyes) but I"m not sure of the longevity there. Remember Jennifer Battan?

There really are no more guitar Gods, those days are over and still laying dormant. Still too many detune players and seven string players playing power chords. A Guitar God is the master of their instrument and let's face it, a real shredder. Something these new bands aren't. Granted that style ended after the '70s and 80's but that is where the term came from. There's no talk of "who's the best grunge band" for a reason, the genre is dead.

Guitar driven music is on the cusp of a come back as a new generation becomes exposed to the music of yesteryear. I just don't know when it will be back.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The guys from Black Stone Cherry & Shinedown are great songwriters and player's !!! Avenged has good stuff in it. It's almost over !!! Long live rock. Is rock dead ?? It's close.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Indeedido said it right.

The reason that the Guitar Gods are 'gods' is because they blew everyone's mind by doing something nobody else had ever done before.
    Malmsteen is a guitar god.

But I feel he is one of the last ones to come along that is still alive. Stevie Ray Vaughan is a guitar god, but of course he is no longer with us.

There are so many millions of shredders out there now, mostly unoriginal.

I think once the original Guitar Gods die off, and then the ones from the 80s (Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie), that will be it. They will be relegated to myth and legend (much like Jimi Hendrix).

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    As good as Orianthi is, I don't see longevity outside the pop world. Don't get me wrong, she is a fantastic player (and easy on the eyes) but I"m not sure of the longevity there. Remember Jennifer Battan?

There really are no more guitar Gods, those days are over and still laying dormant. Still too many detune players and seven string players playing power chords. A Guitar God is the master of their instrument and let's face it, a real shredder. Something these new bands aren't. Granted that style ended after the '70s and 80's but that is where the term came from. There's no talk of "who's the best grunge band" for a reason, the genre is dead.

Guitar driven music is on the cusp of a come back as a new generation becomes exposed to the music of yesteryear. I just don't know when it will be back.

Excellent post, and kind of what I'm getting at. True Avenged and Stone Sour have cool riffs and songs, and to Binnie's point(s), not suggesting there are NO great bands out there, just kind of slim pickings...and not soloing in a "Hey mom, look at me" kind of way, but in a "WTF did he (she, whatevs) just DO?" sense...Oranthi is indeed cute, but agree they'll try to market her as a pop-tart, even if she's got a "Passion and Warfare" type work in her.

Keep the suggestions coming...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm not sure if this Zack Kim fellow is a future guitar god, a guy exploiting a gimmick or an outright freak of nature. Notice how he plays two separate melodies at the same time here. I pretty much get my fingers stuck in the strings attempting to play one of them.

Last edited by chefcraig; 06-12-2010 at 02:48 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's crazy, and I've seen that guy too, but does he have a band? Amazing display of ambidexterity, that's for sure.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If you think about it, all he needs to do is team up with Stanley Jordan and Bobby McFerrin and the three of 'em could be an freakin' orchestra.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    If you think about it, all he needs to do is team up with Stanley Jordan and Bobby McFerrin and the three of 'em could be an freakin' orchestra.
    Possibly, thought there might be a "clash of styles". And to really do that concept right, they'd need a drummer with four arms.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I figured McFerrin could handle the percussion, as well as the bass parts.

Last edited by chefcraig; 06-12-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    I'll give you an example: Dimebag Darrell could play everything and anything that Eddie, Randy, Michael Schenker or any other guitar legend could play, but he did something else with his sound too.
    This statement could not me more true if you add "terribly done" after the phrase "..or any other legend could play."

Dimebag was sloppy, his stage presence was that of a sloppy bum, and his his band were all slobs.

If Dimebag Darrel were to debut such a style today, we'd all be laughing at him.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Possibly, thought there might be a "clash of styles". And to really do that concept right, they'd need a drummer with four arms.
    Stylings have little to do with rock music: either it's good or it isn't.

According to my rules, if it's accessible (meaning, one doesn't require a dictionary for lyrical interpretation), has a good beat, decent melodies and the vocals have some kind of understandable clarity, THEN you can look at the guitar player for direction.

I could name 3 great guitar players you could view Youtube samples of, but they don't have such a vehicle to demonstrate your command of the instrument, it's really difficult your efforts seen.

Also, I remember hearing about some kid who went by Larry from Norway sending this speed-metal demo tape that went around, all the guys in school copying and floating around with the "Ozzy w/Randy, Chelmsford UK 1980" tape around 1982-83 that, until we heard from him again in Steeler Alcatrazz as Yngwie.

The next big thing's got to have a band-vehicle to get his stuff out thru, otherwise he'll languish for years like Malmsteen did.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    ORIANTHI !!!!

Aussie chick in her 20's,

With Steve VAI, is this the passing of the torch routine at the crossroads ??

Damn she is hot!

I don't think she is some great guitar player though really.l

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    jhale can back me up on this. Any younger kid with dicipline a good teacher and a snipit of talent can master the mucical part of the guitar in a few years. WHat was it eddy said ? There are only 7 notes how you use them is up to you.

I have not heard any great new guitar players but I have not really looked either. I'm not sure what I would look for as far as style. I always thought classical guitar players were the shit as far as really knowing how to play the instument and all it's notes.. That's what RR wanted to do to take his playing in another direction.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Leave it to Garfuckle to make an ass out of himself yet again.

Let's see YOU play on a level Dime could play at.

Can't do it.

So STFU.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Damn she is hot!

I don't think she is some great guitar player though really.l
    I would qualify that by stating that she is a really great guitar player for a girl.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well I think any guitar player better than me is awesome. Just sayin.

I wish I coukd lay some shit down and sound all smart about it.

"Well that was an f major arppegio with an added 5th"

I dont know what the fuck that means but I can play it. I think?

Fuck you in advance jhale!

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    I would qualify that by stating that she is a really great guitar player for a girl.
    Yeah I couldn't get past her her face. My bad.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I found some chic on utube awhile back that was really good. She had several video lessons on arrpegios. I'll look it up on Monday.

Im being like 99% of the mods today.

LAZY and unproductive.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    If Dimebag Darrel were to debut such a style today, we'd all be laughing at him.
    Wrong

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Talent used to be said to last 2 weeks in Hollywood.

I'd shorten that these days to 2 hours = in other words: if it's any good, and with the inertnet running, you will know about it immediately!

And about RR going "in another direction" uh, I don't think that would ever happen. Either Sharon Arden would have him snuffed, or..

Oh. That already happened - nevermind..

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Question

jhale can back me up on this. Any younger kid with dicipline a good teacher and a snipit of talent can master the mucical part of the guitar in a few years. WHat was it eddy said ? There are only 7 notes how you use them is up to you.

I have not heard any great new guitar players but I have not really looked either. I'm not sure what I would look for as far as style. I always thought classical guitar players were the shit as far as really knowing how to play the instument and all it's notes.. That's what RR wanted to do to take his playing in another direction.

Wow, I actually can back you up there :eek: Only pretty sure it was Zappa who said "There's only 12 notes in the Western Scale - it's all been done before." Maybe Ed was paraphrasing him. But yes, anyone can learn the mechanics of it, it's what you do after with what you've learned...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And for the record, I disagree about Dime also.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck you in advance jhale!
    Right back at ya, I guess...

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    New gods? Mark Morton of Lamb Of God, Lee McKinney of Born Of Osiris....

Dime's incredible but he's dead...

Hmm... Anyone?
    Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenFan5150 View Post
    New gods? Mark Morton of Lamb Of God, Lee McKinney of Born Of Osiris....

Dime's incredible but he's dead...

Hmm... Anyone?

Even if Dime were alive, he'd be the same age as Zakk, and DQ'd from the "new" survey... Lamb of God is killer, much like MCR's singer going too Emo at times, their guy goes too Cookie Monster. They do write some absolutely KILLER riffs , And Morton is no slouch...is he under 35 and thus in the running?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lot's of inspiring players in the 80's. Very few in the 90's. The 00's was not just a lousy decade for everything, it sucked as far as new guitar talent goes as well. Either the industry is not signing these guys or there just isn't anything unique out there.

For me it's song writing and telling a story. I just don't want fast shredding or another homogenious blues player. I want someone to put their own personality into it and tell us a story. Eddie Van Halen could do it. Hendrix could do it. Billy Gibbons does it.

It's like a pretty girl vs an amazing pop your cock in your pants girl. You just can't describe it in words but when it's there, Boing!

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hi y'all, just wanted to say while I agree mostly there are alot fewer "guitar gods" - I'd like to nominate my current top inspiration Omar Rodríguez-López of Mars Volta. Maybe not the most technically amazing but he can shred and does it all with alot of soul and creativity.

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I vote for a finnish guy...Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom...say what you want about metal like this in general, but they have humour within...I like the solo here (around 2:30), it fits the song well...

Here's another gem...something I'd imagine RANDY RHOADS would've written for Ozzy...as a matter of fact, I'd like to hear Ozzy sing this...grate band if you don't take'em too seriously!

The solo is at 3:15 but I dig the whole tune...
    Originally posted by Cato
    Golden, why are you FAT?
    Originally posted by lesfunk
    Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    This statement could not me more true if you add "terribly done" after the phrase "..or any other legend could play."

Dimebag was sloppy, his stage presence was that of a sloppy bum, and his his band were all slobs.

Pantera changed metal - every metal band since has pretty much been ripping them off. How anyone can think that the playing on the 'Cowboys From Hell' album is 'sloppy' is beyond me.....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As for modern guitar players doing interesting things, check out Matt Belamy in Muse.

And does a 'Guitar God' really have to be a shredder? Angus Young is a guitar god to me, but he doesn't do anything that complex.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Muse - Supermassive Blackhole

Muse - Plug In Baby

Muse - New Born

Muse - New Born

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    As for modern guitar players doing interesting things, check out Matt Belamy in Muse.

And does a 'Guitar God' really have to be a shredder? Angus Young is a guitar god to me, but he doesn't do anything that complex.
    Probably different requirements dependent on the decade. Page is a Guitar God. Angus is a Guitar God. But so is Vai, Malmsteen, etc. All have one thing in common though, they write massive riffs and killer solos. Not just three power chords and done.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Steve Vai is an almost-God.. I wouldn't pay to see him, and he's not entertaining enough to take a female on a date so forget that!

Vai's load of licks is the boring ..

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pantera changed metal - every metal band since has pretty much been ripping them off. How anyone can think that the playing on the 'Cowboys From Hell' album is 'sloppy' is beyond me.....
    I could say that, where percussion is less than precision riffing, then yes "CFH" is a pretty awful example.

If Dimebag would have stuck with the bass, he'd still be alive woudln't he..

Thread Information