Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVH can no longer play

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

EVH can no longer play

All the reports Im hearing, including some good input here from Gslinger and others, is that EVH is *NOT* playing well at all.. Apparently Sammy's own cousin for christ sakes is even posting at the SH Links saying he cant play.

Think about this for a second, Van Hagar's biggest followers and sympathizers are saying he cant play. (Based on their rehearsal performance). After hearing "Its about Time" in particular the solo, I bet every axeman here thought, shit, Eddie has lost it...

I would be intersted to hear from more people who were there, in particular, how did he play his old Solos. Im actually starting to think that EVH cant cut it anymore. There are too many reports from this rehearsal, from those that wanted more than anything to say he was good.

Was it just first night drunk jitters, or has EVH genuinely lost his magic ? Its a worry for us old schoolers that want to hear real Van Halen again one day..

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm not really worried about his playing. He should actually be on "auto pilot." Hell, even on the old bootlegs he's kinda sloppy. I just tack it up to "drunken jitters" or just trying to make it more interesting for himself. If, in fact, it IS the nerves, it's only cuz now Ed knows his band is on the line...

Also, even though his playing might be sloppy, I bet he's probably nervous as Hell playing in front of his own son now that Wolfie's old enough to know what Dad does for a living.

If and when the time comes for a Dave fronted VH, I'm sure his playing will be just fine.
    I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like your positive answer AlmostSaved, but Im really depressed. I think he has lost it. Ten albums worth of material, the first song we hear absoulutely sucks, even many of the hagar fans are saying the same thing, the solo is a piece of crap. You cant realy put that recording down to first night rehearsal jitters ??

Theres nothing on that new song that any of us guitarists here couldnt play. Sure he can still play guitar like the 10 million other guitarists that live on earth, but Im not hearing the old EVH magic at all...
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just imagine Ed in his current state playing 2 hours of only Roth classics............this is the FINAL nail in a possible Dave reunion IMO. Ed's done.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I still say somthing is fishy here. I realize that they guys have been getting worse and that it is to be expected, but this is ridiculous. Its almost as if they want this tour to fail. Ed can not, I repeat NOT, be as bad as he is appearing to be. It is just not possible.
    "Remember, life is just a game and no one gets out alive"

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe he's on something a little stronger than booze.........not saying he is, but it's possible. Damn he's a mess...........

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
    Just imagine Ed in his current state playing 2 hours of only Roth classics............this is the FINAL nail in a possible Dave reunion IMO. Ed's done.
    This is exactly what is worrying me, Bill...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am sure he has been on something a little stronger than booze a few times before and was still able to play.

You don't play a guitar as long as Ed has played that thing, and as well as he used to play, and then all of the sudden need reminders of where your chords are...I don't think even Alzheimers could do that to him. No, something is up. The sheep in me refuses to believe Ed could sink that low. CCC wants to come in and throw their weight around maybe? Just a guess.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So your conspiraacy theory LMS is that EVH is deliberatley fucking up ??
    Interesting ! Ive got an open mind to anything. But the fact is, EVH is not playing the way we know he should be....

"Lady's Man"
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by lms
    I still say somthing is fishy here. I realize that they guys have been getting worse and that it is to be expected, but this is ridiculous. Its almost as if they want this tour to fail. Ed can not, I repeat NOT, be as bad as he is appearing to be. It is just not possible.

I can tell you have not been around hardcore addicts like Eddie before. I’ve seen Eddie’s kind of DGF self destructive behavior 100’s of times in musicians that have totally lost their sole to the demons. Yeah the facts are tough here! I for one would like to see Eddie play again, but the only big crowd this guy is going to draw is at his fast approaching funeral.

It’s interesting the growth hormone and steroids Eddie has been using. Everybody blames steroids for destroying livers in athletes, but the truth is, in this day and age, anabolic/androgenic steroids are fairly benign on the liver and kidneys. It’s when you “stack” alcohol on top of GH & steroids they become toxic as hell on these vital organ, which will be Eddie’s big problem here.

----------------------------------
    I made a thread with a bunch of VH Rehearsal pics in the DLR/VH Picture Archive Bonanza!

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...&threadid=5913

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm always going to try and remain positive when it comes to EVH...

But it doesn't mean I'm not scared shitless for him.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the last album Ed actually played well, technically speaking, was the FUCK album. Some of his stuff on Balance was good but he didn't rip the same way he did on FUCK. The solo in Pleasure Dome was one of his best. I think on 5150 and OU812 he was still able to rip but avoided it because he wanted to concentrate more on tunes .

Judging by how he played the old VH stuff that I have heard and have seen from the Cherone tour, he pulled off some licks and butchered others. It seems he can't pull off the fast stuff the way he used to, at least not without it sounding sloppy.

I wouldn't doubt that he is was still drugging and drinking booze.

Then again he was doing drugs and drinking back in his prime and he sounded great.
    Last edited by street_lethal; 06-04-2004 at 03:28 PM.

Fabulous Shadow
    Well, We'll see folks. I must say that It's about time was a weak glimps of what is ahead I still find it hard to beieve that Ed GENIUS is all washed up. Maybe a little rusty but after a few weeks on the road he'll be in top form.

"Lady's Man"
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by street_lethal

I wouldn't doubt that he is was still drugging and drinking booze.

Then again he was doing drugs and drinking back in his prime and he sounded great.

Re the drinking & druggin.......Yeah, but he was in his 20's and Eddie's body hadn't taken the long-term abuse. The guy hits 50 in January! Eddie admitted years ago he had fought? D & D addiction problems since his early teens.

Dave hits 50 in October. Look at the massive difference in appearence, life style, and having your head on straight (understanding Diamond is from another planet, LOL), between Dave & Eddie for god sakes!

“Eddie’s Ready to Tour”

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/show...=&threadid=5630

“Dave with the Rich & Famous at Southampton” – Memorial Day Weekend 2004

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/show...=&threadid=5744

Noodles
    i'm sure poor old Ed would be touched by you guys' worryin' about him. that's very caring and sweet. but, even his wife and old pals gave up on him over the last few years. you can only feel pity and sadness for a once-great talent who chooses to do what he does.

it's his life, and WHAT A LIFE: he's got far MORE of everything-everybody-wants than 99% of the human race, fer chrissakes. how can you feel sorry for more than a minute or two when you remember that?

No one expects an old, neglected junker (even if it is a Ferrari) to look or perform like it did when it was new (especially with that wannabe Hagar at the wheel -- the guy is not respected for one thing, no matter how many things he attempts).

whatever. MUSICALLY (all any of us here really get to know of evh) the guy hasn't been innovative or even interesting to listen to since about 1985 (i remember the 5150 tour opener, and he just played all his signature licks/fills, no imagination or fire at all. that's when the magic faded for me).

did y'all get to see him When He Was Great? 1977 - 84? if so, then you have the memories (and all the old LPs, bootlegs, etc.) to take you back again.

[likewise, ever been to Cabo to see any of the overhyped Shammy Bday shows? sadddd-lafff. the folks who attend those are just UNBELIEVABLY unworldly hicks. i was astounded (1991 was cool, 1992 was ok, 1996 a really bad joke). the unsophisticates still flew-in from Nowheresville USA, lined-up to worship their Fat Masturd and saw pretty much NOTHING else of Cabo San Lucas. i had conversations that left me falbbergasted. what small minds, smaller spirits.]

no one cares about today's EVH. it's more curiosity ... "can he still play?" (right, Panamark?)

well, i ain't ruining my MEMORIES (many, many from 1977-93) with whatever the hell is parading itself around calling itself Van Halen.

because it ain't.

but, i'll d/l and listen to yet another unearthed audience-bootleg from 1981. and, i'll get that feeling again. the GOOD ONE. that still makes your fur standup. still makes your balls tingle. still makes your mouth go WHAAAAA. and, still annoys the shit outta most people over 30.

Thank God for all the bootleggers, or we wouldn't have ANYTHING else from those daze. Hendrix --and, many others-- spent far less time in the spotlight and left FAR MORE REAL MUSIC before they checked out ... and, they're still alive EVERYWHERE because of it.

NOTHING Edward Van Halen has done since 1986 or so will be remembered in 10 years .

The EVH that will live on forever is the young, firey, smilin goofball-genius that we still remember fondly today: The one from 1977 - 1984. the one who all the Guys wanted to be and all the Girls wanted to be with.

Eruption On Fire Light Up The Romeo Delight Mean Street Hear About Unchained Sunday Afternoon and Little Guitars Drop Dead Teacher

JCOOK
    IF YOU HAD TO PLAY WITH SPERMY HAGAR YOUD' WIND UP LIKE THAT TOO!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Last time I heard him, outside of the new Van Hagar song, was on that 1998 Live From Down Under MTV special, and he sounded ok.

Can't say what the last several years have done for him, in terms of his illness, etc. Even on all the Van Hagar stuff, it was obvious he could still play, even if I wasn't a fan of what he was playing.

I'd be bummed if his technical abilities have deteriorated to such an extent that he's just fumbling around and not even a pale imitation of what he once was. Not in terms of songwriting, because obviously he's moved away from the 6-pack style of writing, but to think of EVH not having the capacity to play well anymore.....as much of a dick as he comes across in print, can't say I'd get any glee from that.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by gslinger
    Re the drinking & druggin.......Yeah, but he was in his 20's and Eddie's body hadn't taken the long-term abuse. The guy hits 50 in January! Eddie admitted years ago he had fought? D & D addiction problems since his early teens.

Dave hits 50 in October. Look at the massive difference in appearence, life style, and having your head on straight (understanding Diamond is from another planet, LOL), between Dave & Eddie for god sakes!

“Eddie’s Ready to Tour”

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/show...=&threadid=5630

“Dave with the Rich & Famous at Southampton” – Memorial Day Weekend 2004

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/show...=&threadid=5744

True, he was alot younger in his prime obviously. He was also touring alot more in those days and had to play the licks over and over which i'm sure built up his chops. He did beat the shit out of his body through the years.

Could be just a case that the guy doesn't play his old tunes night after night anymore and is rusty as all hell. You would think he would at least practice his old shit behind closed doors just to keep his shit up to par, if not to play his old licks/tunes on stage now but just to bring his level of proficiency back up.

All I know is he sounded like shit on Steve Lukather's 2003 Christmas album.

Just to think, this is the same guy who said back in a late 70's interview that Jimmy Page sounds like he's playing with a broken hand live.
    Last edited by street_lethal; 06-04-2004 at 05:00 PM.

"Lady's Man"
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    True, he was alot younger in his prime obviously. He was also touring alot more in those days and had to play the licks over and over which i'm sure built up his chops. He did beat the shit out of his body through the years.

Could be just a case that the guy doesn't play his old tunes night after night anymore and is rusty as all hell. You would think he would at least practice his old shit behind closed doors just to keep his shit up to par, if not to play his old licks/tunes on stage now but just to bring his level of proficiency back up.

All I know is he sounded like shit on Steve Lukather's 2003 Christmas album.

Just to think, this is the same guy who said back in a late 70's interview that Jimmy Page sounds like he's playing with a broken hand live.

EVH might have been joking around, cause he was very dunk at the time, but he told those Iowa? DJ's in that radio interview six months ago, he couldn't remember how to play most of VH's older stuff.

From seeing how Eddie took a magic marker to the neck of his guitar he used Tuesday night, to mark in big bold letters & dash marks where all the major chords were on the fret bar, I think he has forgotten more than how to just play old VH tunes! Hell, it looked like a 3rd grade intro guitar class ax.

~~~~~

Yeah, Eddie has "sessioned" on several of Steve's albums and sounded real bad. It's sad.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

From seeing how Eddie took a magic marker to the neck of his guitar he used Tuesday night, to mark in big bold letters & dash marks where all the major chords were on the fret bar, I think he has forgotten more than how to just play old VH tunes! Hell, it looked like a 3rd grade intro guitar class ax.

What's this? Are you joking?

If not Eddie had to be joking if he really did that.

I heard the interviews over at 2dorks.com you mentioned.

"Lady's Man"
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's this? Are you joking?

If not Eddie had to be joking if he really did that.

I heard the interviews over at 2dorks.com you mentioned.
    ---------

I’m not joking, and Eddie wasn’t joking. When I get some time I will pull a couple of stills off one of the videos I have of Tuesday night and post them re: EVH’s marked up fret bar. Reminded me of washed up musicians that do two-bit gigs, for chump change, just to support their drug habit………..

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ---------

I’m not joking, and Eddie wasn’t joking. When I get some time I will pull a couple of stills off one of the videos I have of Tuesday night and post them re: EVH’s marked up fret bar. Reminded me of washed up musicians that do two-bit gigs, for chump change, just to support their drug habit………..
    Yeah please do post some stills. That's unfuckingbelievable. Unless he's been hearing about the ragging about his playing or just reading comments on various forums and decided to be a smart ass. How the fuck can a guy who's been playing for 30+ years forget the notes on the fretboard? I can see him being rusty but does he have amnesia now to?

You have the video of this in mpeg or Divx format? I believe you but I have to see this.

If he really wasn't joking that is really sad. For all the bad mouthing about him he was a hero of mine back in the day and I find this severly disturbing.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just saw the clip here with his neck marked with marker:

http://ktla.feedroom.com/iframeset.jsp?ord=833858

I'm stunned.

Actually that's a different video of the show you have stills from in the other thread.

I saw the ones you posted of him with Wolfy.

Last edited by street_lethal; 06-04-2004 at 07:16 PM.

Welcome back, Dave!!!
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just hope the guy croaks already. then it will atleast end this painful wait if or not the original VH will get back together someday.

he looks like a loser and is playing like a loser. I have seen better kept bums!
    "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Noodles
    [B]
    no one cares about today's EVH. it's more curiosity ... "can he still play?" (right, Panamark?)

Yep thats right Noodles. He's not actually a family member or personal friend, so it is out of curiosity. He is one of the last guitar legends from the era I loved, and I really want to know if he's finished. If there is ever another collaboration with the old crew we want MR EVH to be firing on all cylinders. Watching that Video it looked more like Ed is more concerned with some new look, rather than his traditional talent. Which is not evident at all, in "Its About Time". In my opinion anyway. You can hear phrasing and technique in that song that is obviously Eddie, but its the shit simple stuff..

Marking the neck etc etc, its almost like he has lost his love of the instrument, or he is so fucked up its not funny.

Lou
    Eddie is definitely fucked up after watching that video, wow. He's LOST IT!!!!

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

It’s interesting the growth hormone and steroids Eddie has been using. Everybody blames steroids for destroying livers in athletes, but the truth is, in this day and age, anabolic/androgenic steroids are fairly benign on the liver and kidneys. It’s when you “stack” alcohol on top of GH & steroids they become toxic as hell on these vital organ, which will be Eddie’s big problem here.
    Right. And when you stack andro with estrogen blockers, ZMA, tribulus, l-arginine and creatine you get a pretty potent body building mox..uhhhhh...not that I would know or anything.

Mezro...don't forget the glutamine Chucky, gotta have the glutamine
    Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Noodles
    Originally posted by Panamark
    Yep thats right Noodles. He's not actually a family member or personal friend, so it is out of curiosity. He is one of the last guitar legends from the era I loved, and I really want to know if he's finished. If there is ever another collaboration with the old crew we want MR EVH to be firing on all cylinders. Watching that Video it looked more like Ed is more concerned with some new look, rather than his traditional talent. Which is not evident at all, in "Its About Time". In my opinion anyway. You can hear phrasing and technique in that song that is obviously Eddie, but its the shit simple stuff..

Marking the neck etc etc, its almost like he has lost his love of the instrument, or he is so fucked up its not funny.
    neither. Ed's always done things in a shitty, DIY-manner; whether it was playing guitars that were falling apart or shoes that were falling apart. that's always been his style and a damn endearing quality among the rest of the egoed-out rest-o-the-crowd wannabees.

[speaking of: his shoes have always been hilarious to me, and a real insight into his personality ... you shoulda seen the shoes he was wearing during Diver Down tour in Detroit, 8/82. they were totally worn-out, but he liked the familiarity and comfort. still does, obviously. same as he ever was. it was just cool before because he was so goddamn amazing.]

so, call yourselves "fans" ... and, sit here disseminating and analizing every little thing you can find (all 22 seconds of it), lamenting the loss of "his traditional talent", phrasing or whatever, like a bunch of bitter old critics. then, wonder if he's "fucked up" or "finished" because he jotted a few cribnotes on his guitar before the first gig (which he's done in the past).

and, go on reading more into things he hasn't even thought about, looking for more evidence to back up your curiosity and theories...

you really have no idea. (you will soon enough, though)

It isn't Van Halen
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Key phrase there is "in his prime".

Living on credit healthwise durng your prime sets you up for a world of shit come middle-age.

Look at how prematurely he's aged.

It wouldn't shock me at all to learn that he hasn't touched a drop.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Noodles
    neither. Ed's always done things in a shitty, DIY-manner; whether it was playing guitars that were falling apart or shoes that were falling apart. that's always been his style and a damn endearing quality among the rest of the egoed-out rest-o-the-crowd wannabees.

[speaking of: his shoes have always been hilarious to me, and a real insight into his personality ... you shoulda seen the shoes he was wearing during Diver Down tour in Detroit, 8/82. they were totally worn-out, but he liked the familiarity and comfort. still does, obviously. same as he ever was. it was just cool before because he was so goddamn amazing.]

so, call yourselves "fans" ... and, sit here disseminating and analizing every little thing you can find (all 22 seconds of it), lamenting the loss of "his traditional talent", phrasing or whatever, like a bunch of bitter old critics. then, wonder if he's "fucked up" or "finished" because he jotted a few cribnotes on his guitar before the first gig (which he's done in the past).

and, go on reading more into things he hasn't even thought about, looking for more evidence to back up your curiosity and theories...

you really have no idea. (you will soon enough, though)

My ears do not lie. What Im hearing is bad, you think he is just goofing off etc, cool. Im glad you have found a way to handle it. If you read all my posts regarding this, Im sincere when I say I hope he hasnt lost the magic. But from what we have been given thus far, its not looking good. We have eye witnesses that watched him play the other night and what they reported was not good. I want EVH to kick ass. Anyways, I guess the next two songs will finally put this argument to rest.

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    after seeing those pictures of ed doing a good sumo wrestler impression it makes me sad just going to put on vh 1 album ED WE'LL NEVER FORGET

Cabo Wabo Mafia
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I won't say anything till I hear them in person. I really like "it's about time". solo is alittle short kinda like the humans being(radio edit).

guwapo_rocker
    because he jotted a few cribnotes on his guitar before the first gig
    Masters don't need cribnotes.....I miss Eddie!!!

lms2
    I missed a lot cause I was busy at work today. Better late than never I always say.

Panamark. Yep, conspiracy theory that Eddie is fucking off this tour...replacing the fantasy that Dave will be making a surprise appearance to save this travesty of a tour. I live a fantasy life. I don't know much about CCC but from what I have heard, its a pretty f***ed up situation. If I were Ed and some know it all corporation came in and started pushing my buttons and I had to do things their way, I would have my fun-oh yea.

glsinger. Well, the hard core addicts I know don't have near as much money as they ones you know so I am sure there are differences-but I am a recovering addict myself. Entered the drug scene when I was 8 years old. I know that song and dance by heart. I also know that recovery is possible. I realize that some people are never able to acheive it. But you should also admit, some can. Ozzy Ed aint. Where there is hope...I don't know. You might be right, but i'm just not ready to give up on the guy. (Of course I wasn't there and have only seen your pics-I should defer in this instance-but WTF, its all in good fun)

EVH is not a close friend or family, but he is an integral part of Classic Van Halen and that group holds a special place in the annals of rock and roll, and my heart. Bashing and blaming aside, I am also saddened by what I am seeing and hearing with my own eyes and ears, but I am not ready to give up, and I wont. Its About Time has already been discussed to hell and back , but I still maintain the comment made about editing it to make it more "radio friendly" spoke volumes and gives me reason to believe that Ed is fucking with people for telling him how to play his music. (And yes I am aware that Van Halen has made it a common practice to rework the shit out of their songs, but I just don't feel that is the case here.) I am not putting too much hope into the other two songs. I will maintain my wait and see attitude. All things are possible.

And finally, all the comments on how he has aged and how shitty he looks. I agree totally-but conditionally. Some pics are better than others, some days are better than others. Dave has had a few periods where he was sure showing his age-but those last photos from memorial day had him looking in prime form. My glass will always be half full.

Cabo Wabo Mafia
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    From the videos it looks like they are having fun. Especially Eddie!!!!

Welcome back, Dave!!!
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    EVH sucks donkey dick!!!!!!!

its ironic how everyone said Dave was washed up and Dave came out smelling like roses.

lets see if ed can do the same, now he is in the same boat and looking washed up!!!!! haha lol, good luck ed. atleast now I dont feel so bad about a reunion. good excuse now, the guitar players sucks and is finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

put ed up onstage alone at the HOF and sure he will get a nice applause. put him up there with DLR and they will literally have to build a new HOF as they would bring the house down!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by lms2
    I missed a lot cause I was busy at work today. Better late than never I always say.

Panamark. Yep, conspiracy theory that Eddie is fucking off this tour...replacing the fantasy that Dave will be making a surprise appearance to save this travesty of a tour. I live a fantasy life. I don't know much about CCC but from what I have heard, its a pretty f***ed up situation. If I were Ed and some know it all corporation came in and started pushing my buttons and I had to do things their way, I would have my fun-oh yea.

glsinger. Well, the hard core addicts I know don't have near as much money as they ones you know so I am sure there are differences-but I am a recovering addict myself. Entered the drug scene when I was 8 years old. I know that song and dance by heart. I also know that recovery is possible. I realize that some people are never able to acheive it. But you should also admit, some can. Ozzy Ed aint. Where there is hope...I don't know. You might be right, but i'm just not ready to give up on the guy. (Of course I wasn't there and have only seen your pics-I should defer in this instance-but WTF, its all in good fun)

EVH is not a close friend or family, but he is an integral part of Classic Van Halen and that group holds a special place in the annals of rock and roll, and my heart. Bashing and blaming aside, I am also saddened by what I am seeing and hearing with my own eyes and ears, but I am not ready to give up, and I wont. Its About Time has already been discussed to hell and back , but I still maintain the comment made about editing it to make it more "radio friendly" spoke volumes and gives me reason to believe that Ed is fucking with people for telling him how to play his music. (And yes I am aware that Van Halen has made it a common practice to rework the shit out of their songs, but I just don't feel that is the case here.) I am not putting too much hope into the other two songs. I will maintain my wait and see attitude. All things are possible.

And finally, all the comments on how he has aged and how shitty he looks. I agree totally-but conditionally. Some pics are better than others, some days are better than others. Dave has had a few periods where he was sure showing his age-but those last photos from memorial day had him looking in prime form. My glass will always be half full.

yeah its sad. I cant think of any other way to put it. Daves greatest guitarist seems to have lost it. Your consipracy theory is very interesting, PM me if you want, I would love to ask you something....

Lou
    Anyone who saw that video on ktla.com should be appalled at the way Eddie was talking to that reporter and made it a point to show his guitar marked up. He sounded INSANE.

Crazy Ass Mofo

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Lou
    Anyone who saw that video on ktla.com should be appalled at the way Eddie was talking to that reporter and made it a point to show his guitar marked up. He sounded INSANE.
    Lou - I was wondering if it was semi staged. I mean look what passes for rock. Punk-wannabe's, KORN. He looked like he fit right in except he's 50.

He's the only member of the band that even looks like a rock musician.

It might have something to do with CHEMO-THEORAPY effecting his hair regrowth.

or both.

or something else.

He's a lush but, he's no SYD BARRETT.

GUYS!!

EVH playing like crap is still far above average playing.

Stay Frosty!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by pete
    GUYS!!

EVH playing like crap is still far above average playing.
    Therein lies the problem. The bar will always be set higher for Eddie Van Halen. Being merely "above average" simply will not cut it for what people have come to expect from a man who revolutionized rock guitar from 1977-90.

Watching a man who was a master innovator reduced to marking his neck so he can find chords is sad and painful to watch. His look and his sound are merely a shell of the guitarist he used to be and people would have to be either blind or in deep denial in order not to notice.

Thread Information