Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's time for Great White to call it a day...

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

It's time for Great White to call it a day...

Check out 'ol rubber legs @ 2:10
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wqZyrU66Olo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0 x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wqZyrU66Olo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0 x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Talk about bottom feeding. Some bands just don't know when to pack it in.
    It's over Jack, let it go...

More GW drama...

http://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index...2090&Itemid=42

http://www.radaronline.com/category/tags/gary-holland
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Is that Jack Russell or Bobcat Goldthwait?

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Check out 'ol rubber legs @ 2:10
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wqZyrU66Olo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0 x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wqZyrU66Olo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0 x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Talk about bottom feeding. Some bands just don't know when to pack it in.
    It's over Jack, let it go!
    That has to be the saddest shit I've ever seen......I'm surprised he didn't crawl off the stage in total shame.

No need to stick a fork in that....it's fucking DONE!

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This was the backyard party band from Whittier that used to open for those huge RATT and Armored Saint parties at the Balian mansion in Altadena.. wow from MTV to Idontwannasee!

I have two stories: one was I saw the guy in the PCC cafeteria once, beating the shit out of a Donkey Kong machine because he wasn't any good.

Another time, we went to go see RATT at Perkins Palace and they were opening, Mark Kendall was playing guitar with those stupid shades on and somebody in the audience threw a full can of beer in his fuckin face, and it hit him full smash-on in the chopper - the force of a 12-oz'er from 20 rows back really knocked his head backward. But he kept on singing, didn't lose a beat.

I was like, wow that guy just took a full hard shot and must be hurtin, but he's not budging.

They got noticed from KMET's Local Licks at Eleven contest, sunday nites.. they did a cover of "Substitute" by the Who, which got them on a compilation with Metal Blade I think.. where they recorded the song "Stick It" which Russel would flip off the crowd and get them to flip him back.. which sold and got 'em a major deal inside of a couple years.

I think I first heard of them in 82 and they got signed by 84.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    that vid somehow says...don't do drugs...doesn't it?
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Yucca Man
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Oakland Coliseum 7000 Coliseum Way Oakland, California Section 130 Seats 13-14 Wear Black. Bring Beer.
    Status
    "Anything worth doing is worth over-doing".
    Starwood saw the sun come up at Jack's place in Manhattan Beach a few times. Those were the days when you could do an 8 ball yourself and be ready to go again the next night. Starwood retired from the blow scene a few years back due to the fact that it took him a fkn week to recover. Don't miss it.

GW Done? They were done a long time ago....

RIP Scott "Wad" Griffith

Yucca Man
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Oakland Coliseum 7000 Coliseum Way Oakland, California Section 130 Seats 13-14 Wear Black. Bring Beer.
    Status
    Not looking to hijack the thread - but Scott was my guitarist and it still hurts every fkn day.

http://www.knac.com/article.asp?Arti...003+1:53:55+PM

Carry on, troops!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If they had any class at all they would have stopped after the fire.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Is that Jack Russell or Bobcat Goldthwait?
    I thought it was Beau Bridges.

But really. Man that was was rough to watch. Dude is out of his mind wasted. Yeah, I like my rock stars wasted, but really? A chair? I just don't know man. Hope Jack gets some help & gets better. I always liked him.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    If they had any class at all they would have stopped after the fire.
    I don't know. Something about rising above & continuing. Look at Def Leppard. Drummers arm, Steves death. They did great continuing. When they should have stopped was when someone said "hey, lets hire Vivian". But for Great White to have a display like this? Just wow. People give Vince Neil so much shit when he let himself go & get fat. But he was never, ever like this. It has to be rough not being a rock star anymore. Looks like Jack is trying to mask the pain rather than regroup and do something worth while. Depression is a miserable, soul eating beast.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    100 people died because of them, they have a nerve showing their faces in public, never mind playing, never mind playing like that.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "CLEANUP IN AISLE 9"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPOxRTuoa9U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPOxRTuoa9U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    100 people died because of them, they have a nerve showing their faces in public, never mind playing, never mind playing like that.
    I don't agree. This is like saying The Who should have disbanded because the crowd stampeded getting into the Cincinnati Coliseum in 1979, killing eleven people. (In retrospect, the band should have hung it up after Keith Moon died, but that's another story.) A band is hired to perform and people pay to attend, so the responsibility in all of this remains with management, both the band's and the venue's. This is not just my opinion, but that of the law, which found the group's road manager and the owners of the club guilty of manslaughter.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Steel Panther should parody THAT!

Yucca Man
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I don't agree. This is like saying The Who should have disbanded because the crowd stampeded getting into the Cincinnati Coliseum in 1979, killing eleven people. (In retrospect, the band should have hung it up after Keith Moon died, but that's another story.) A band is hired to perform and people pay to attend, so the responsibility in all of this remains with management, both the band's and the venue's. This is not just my opinion, but that of the law, which found the group's road manager and the owners of the club guilty of manslaughter.
    Agreed. Was not the band members' fault. That video is, though. Ouch.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I thought it was Beau Bridges.

But really. Man that was was rough to watch. Dude is out of his mind wasted. Yeah, I like my rock stars wasted, but really? A chair? I just don't know man. Hope Jack gets some help & gets better. I always liked him.
    Or Ron Jeremy...

But fuck, I hate to insult Ron Jeremy, Beau Bridges, or Bob Kat--because none of those guys ever killed dozens of people in a pyrotechnics abortion of stupidity...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Or Ron Jeremy...

But fuck, I hate to insult Ron Jeremy, Beau Bridges, or Bob Kat--because none of those guys ever killed dozens of people in a pyrotechnics abortion of stupidity...

I always have been a big fan of Beau Bridges. IDK why. I know everyone likes his brother...I do too. But I like Beau better. Always have.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I don't know how they continued to make any money after killing 50% of their fan base.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hahaha,

I'm not sure how they can stand there in clubs singing 'Once bitten twice shy'...

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    This was the backyard party band from Whittier that used to open for those huge RATT and Armored Saint parties at the Balian mansion in Altadena.. wow from MTV to Idontwannasee!

I have two stories: one was I saw the guy in the PCC cafeteria once, beating the shit out of a Donkey Kong machine because he wasn't any good.

Another time, we went to go see RATT at Perkins Palace and they were opening, Mark Kendall was playing guitar with those stupid shades on and somebody in the audience threw a full can of beer in his fuckin face, and it hit him full smash-on in the chopper - the force of a 12-oz'er from 20 rows back really knocked his head backward. But he kept on singing, didn't lose a beat.

I was like, wow that guy just took a full hard shot and must be hurtin, but he's not budging.

They got noticed from KMET's Local Licks at Eleven contest, sunday nites.. they did a cover of "Substitute" by the Who, which got them on a compilation with Metal Blade I think.. where they recorded the song "Stick It" which Russel would flip off the crowd and get them to flip him back.. which sold and got 'em a major deal inside of a couple years.

Great stuff, GAR.

You sure it wasn't La Habra and not Whittier, though?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I don't agree. This is like saying The Who should have disbanded because the crowd stampeded getting into the Cincinnati Coliseum in 1979, killing eleven people. (In retrospect, the band should have hung it up after Keith Moon died, but that's another story.) A band is hired to perform and people pay to attend, so the responsibility in all of this remains with management, both the band's and the venue's.
    I don't think a band is responsible for actions of the venue but they are for the criminal negligence of their manager. We are not talking about a huge company here, the Great White organisation at that point were the band and their employees probably about 3 or 4 people. I think at least morally they should accept some responsibility for their appointment and supervision of the road manager.

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think videos like the one above are the worst punishment humanly possible for Great White.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At the peak of their skills they were nothing special.

I suppose at this point anyone that is dumb enough to go and see them deserves what they get.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I suppose at this point anyone that is dumb enough to go and see them deserves what they get.
    My band opened for countless numbers of these groups that were on the downside of their careers after grunge exploded, and no truer words have ever been spoken than the ones posted above. They were some of the rudest, most inconsiderate knuckleheads I've ever had the displeasure to meet. A bunch of drunk or drugged out imbeciles, simultaneously screaming "Do you know who I am?" while making absurd demands, all for the great achievement of earning about $400 bucks a night. Hell, my band had better equipment than most of these nitwits. who obviously spent their money on dangerous personal habits or presumably having their stage clothes let out to accommodate their expanding waistlines. Oh, and on hats to disguise some rapidly receding hairlines or on black spray paint to hide their bald spots.

Yucca Man
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We used to call Jack's headgear "The Cocker Spaniel".

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwood View Post
    We used to call Jack's headgear "The Cocker Spaniel".
    I gather that although you and I are on opposite sides of the same continent, you yourself have chewed much of the same dirt that I have. For years people have taken me to task when I write about their beloved musicians as being chowderheads or utter buffoons, but this is based upon first hand experience dealing with these morons. Not all, but a great percentage of them are talent-free hacks who achieved a relative amount of success at too early an age, and as a result have an exaggerated sense of their own importance and a peculiar brand of entitlement to go with it. This, coupled with the random drug or alcohol habit makes them damn near incapable of behaving in a manner that is anything short of obnoxious. The fact that they are also genuinely stupid to begin with only makes things worse. Screw 'em.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 06-23-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Never saw the big deal with them either. Not even really a B-grade rock band...more like a third tier group.

Regardless of what the legal outcome was, it was plain foolish for the band to be using pyro in a club of that size. I say 'the band' because I wouldn't be inclined to transfer all of the blame to the road manager and remove it entirely from the band members. If they want to claim they had no idea about the logistics of their stage shows and that's what they paid the road manager for, that might help ease their sense of responsibility, but even a retard rock singer could have taken a look at that venue and mused that perhaps pyro in a club with a fairly low ceiling might not be such a great idea. Obviously the fire wasn't intentional...whatever. If Great White didn't pack it in after that incident, their flabby lead singer being unable to stand isn't gonna make them throw in the towel...what the fuck else would they do at this point anyway?
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Um... He walk's out with a cane so was he hurt already are what ??? That is the first song in their set for the last ten year's. Look's like the show must go on type of deal to me !! Well stay on the stool Jack. Don't jump to any conclusion's people !! Yea right.

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, what the fuck? Why is he using a cane and a high stool, anyway?

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The best thing about Great White was that they had That Cherry pie girl in one of their videos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lesfunk; 06-23-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Yeah, what the fuck? Why is he using a cane and a high stool, anyway?
    He has something seriously wrong for sure...

Looks like he has about sixty days to live...

Death pool, anyone ??

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Apparently he's had 2 failed back surgeries. He's probably so whacked out on Morphine he doesn;t even know what day it is.

He now moves around like Fred Sanford!

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    People give Vince Neil so much shit when he let himself go & get fat. But he was never, ever like this.
    I have never seen anyone let themselves go like this.

Even Elvis Presley didn't go down like this!

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post

Death pool, anyone ??
    November 12th, 2010.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Never saw the big deal with them either. Not even really a B-grade rock band...more like a third tier group.
    I will agree with your sentiment here. But let me say this. A "Best Of" Great White CD with 10 songs...half of those songs will be 5-Star, grade-A rock band. The problem is on a normal album you have 1 good song and 9 bad ones (or 9 identical ones that for the life of you can't tell apart). Sometimes not even 1 good one and the album was trash.

To me, Great White has 3 terrific songs and a bunch of filler that pretty much sounds the same. I saw them live not for them, but whomever was headlining. Yet always enjoyed when/if they played those 3 songs.

Rock Me, Face The Day, Save All Your Love.

Songs like Desert Moon started out with great potential...a great, catchy main riff, fun sing along chorus, kickin' groove...then inevitably fall flat about halfway through due to monotony & the lack of any change-ups. Great White has a ton of songs that fall into this category. It's like they had the talent, but no direction or clue how to apply it, and only showed us brief glimpses of it.

They were more interested in the 80's rock and roll fame-train than busting ass on writing a great album. Easier to just put together 9 half-ass songs and head back out to the trailer to fuck groupies, smoke some dope, and take a nap. They enjoyed all the success and probably a little bit more than their music really deserved.

In actuality, the tragic fire if anything gave them a second chance at fame. The publicity, even though bad, got everyone talking about Great White again. Even bad publicity is good...isn't that the old saying?

®oth A®my f®an©hise ?laya
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    5 song EP in '82, 2 or 3 of those tracks appear on the '84 self-titled with Holland... the ONLY album worth listening too... and the good stuff's all on the first half. The 2nd half however, is better than anything Great White did afterwards.

The following album, first one without Gary, "Shot in the Dark", was indeed a shot in the dark... and a miss at that.
    That track that got them noticed, "Once Bitten Twice Shy"... a remake.
    You know the rest of the story.

I'm glad to hear Gary co-wrote the self-titled... because it's the only album you need from GW. That all being said... I hope he does win his case... so he gets his royalties at least from the copy I bought. Funny how it kept being repressed with different covers, '89 & '95 at least... and now that '84 album is out of print.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great White was a "C" tiered group if you are looking at Iron Maiden being the "A" list and Motley Crue being the "B" list. I always thought Great White bordered the "B" list myself at least up until the Hooked album. I always enjoy Shot in the Dark and Once Bitten, as well as the majority of Twice Shy. I really thought their bluesy style during those periods was different from the Poisons and such that were flooding the industry. If they never had anything else to travel on except for the song Rock Me they would be alright in my book. The Old Rose Motel record went back to Once Bitten and had some great moments on it but had some holes, though not as glaring as Hooked. By that time, it was the early 90's and it was pretty much over anyway. I knew Jack had a drinking problem but i was unaware of the back surgeries. I'm sure alcohol and painkillers are killing him. It is a shame to see the above posted video. It is funny to people that don't like the band and just reward for those who consider them responsible for the fire (what goes around comes around). For those of us that were actually fans of the band, though, it is very difficult to watch. All that being said, i don't know them and never had to deal with them from a personal or business aspect. I am purely speaking from what i like as a music fan. I liked Great White in their heyday and i think they deserve more respect than they have gotten for their work during that time period. IMO, the douchebaggery that came after that is debateable but the substance of their 2nd thru 4th albums is not.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    If they never had anything else to travel on except for the song Rock Me they would be alright in my book.
    That song is really, really good. One of my favs.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was blown away by their note-perfect version of Led Zeppelin's "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" from MTV's Unplugged. I vaguely recall them recording an entire album's worth of Zep covers, but I've never seen the darned thing.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I picked up the Zeppelin cd when it came out. Thought it was great. They were the Zeppelin rippoff band everyone thought they were !!! LIKE ZEPPELIN NEVER RIPPED ANYONE OFF !! I Played it for my buddy who hate's every 80's band there is beside's VH and Dokken and he was floored by it. Great White's best stuff is on Let It Rock & Can't Get There From Here. They were a great band in the 80's !! Better than most of the VH wannabee's. Their songs were all solid. The fire thing is really a bad deal. I think Jack should stay off stage if his back is so fucked !! I used to talk with him & Kendell when they were in town, both nice guy's. The drummer and other guitarist were pretty quiet. Kendell is a great player. Loved Johnny Winter, Jimi & Eddie from the backyard Cali party's.

Thread Information