Thread: Santana recruits Nas and Daughtry for covers album

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Santana recruits Nas and Daughtry for covers album

DETROIT (Billboard) - Carlos Santana was initially intimidated by mentor Clive Davis' pitch for his next album -- another "Supernatural"-style all-star collaboration, but this time on a collection of iconic rock songs by the likes of the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and others.

"I was like, 'No, I don't know if I want to do this one, Clive. This one's a little challenging,'" the guitarist and bandleader told Billboard.com.

"And he would stay on the phone for at least 45 minutes to an hour, three times in one year, and I was like, 'Oh, lord...' But then I started realizing that someone with that intense passion of commitment couldn't be wrong, so I had to trust him. And it was incredible."

The album -- Santana's first since "All That I Am" in 2005 -- is due out in September and is not yet titled. The track list is being finalized as well, but during sessions Santana reunited with "Smooth" partner Rob Thomas on Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love" and worked with Joe Cocker on Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing," Scott Weiland on the Rolling Stones' "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," Chris Daughtry on Def Leppard's "Photograph," Soundgarden's Chris Cornell on Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love," Papa Roach"s Jacoby Shaddix on Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" and rapper Nas, who lays down rhymes on AC/DC's "Back in Black."

Santana chose half of the songs while Davis, Sony Music's chief creative officer, picked the other half. Davis, who originally signed Santana in the 1960s, masterminded his 1999 comeback "Supernatural," a worldwide smash that also garnered nine Grammys.

"What I brought to the table is my heart, knowing that I complement, I don't compete," Santana said of the recording sessions. "I brought my heart, trusting that there's enough in me of purity and innocence and genuineness that I couldn't possible, excuse the expression, f--- it up. I know Eric (Clapton). I know Jeff Beck. I know Jimmy Page. And they know me. I have supreme certainty and confidence that they're going to say, 'Hey man, I love what you did with my song."

While he considers ever song "incredible," Santana said his very favorite is the Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," which he recorded with India.Arie and cellist Yo Yo Ma.

"I sent the song to George Harrison's widow, Olivia, and I got back an email that says, 'Carlos, I listened to the song and I started crying and jumping with joy at the same time. And I want you to know that George really loved you, because he understood your passion for compassion.' And I was like, 'Bam!' that's like George Harrison himself, through his beautiful wife, validating my existence and what I did with that song."

Santana plans to preview some of the covers during his upcoming summer tour with Steve Winwood, which gets under way June 30 in Saint Paul, Minn. He also plans to have Winwood "join my band" for collaborations he hopes are "totally different" than what fans might expect.

"I would prefer not to do Steve Winwood or Santana songs with him," Santana explained. "I would like to go to the Bob Marley repertoire or Marvin Gaye or African music by King Sunny Ade or really, really obscure other-side-of-the-tracks. So I'm crossing my fingers."

After the summer tour with Winwood, Santana is returning to Las Vegas in August for his second residency at the Hard Rock Hotel. Santana is touring Europe in September and October, including a stop at London's O2 Arena.

Santana has another album ready to go as well, an all-instrumental set called "Shape Shifter," which he recorded with his band and he plans to release after the next album has run its course.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ideas like this is why i think Clive Davis should retire.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know Eric (Clapton). I know Jeff Beck. I know Jimmy Page. And they know me. I have supreme certainty and confidence that they're going to say, 'Hey man, I love what you did with my song."
    I wonder what Jeff Beck tune Carlos will be covering?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

On Fire
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlhMeKvwuDI&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0& hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlhMeKvwuDI&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0& hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I never thought I'd say it, but Carlos Santana is rapidly turning into B.B. King, playing the same three or four note solo on every track he shows up on. I'm not exactly looking forward to hearing anything else from this album, which seems to have the phrase "aim low" attached to it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Carlos is good for one song. He plays his thing very good and it's good for one song and then all the other songs sound the same. Carlos does his one trick well but he's a one trick pony.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Seems like a silly collection but Can't You Hear Me Knockin' had Santana written all over it since 1971.

Track Listing:

1. Whole Lotta Love featuring Chris Cornell (Led Zeppelin)

2. Can’t You Hear Me Knockin featuring Scott Weiland (The Rolling Stones)

3. Sunshine Of Your Love featuring Rob Thomas (Cream)

4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps featuring india.arie and Yo-Yo Ma (The Beatles)

5. Photograph featuring Chris Daughtry (Def Leppard)

6. Back In Black featuring Nas (AC/DC)

7. Riders On the Storm featuring Chester Bennington and Ray Manzarek (The Doors)

8. Smoke On the Water featuring Jacoby Shaddix (Deep Purple)

9. Dance the Night Away featuring Pat Monahan (Van Halen)

10. Bang A Gong featuring Gavin Rossdale (T. Rex)

11. Little Wing featuring Joe Cocker (Jimi Hendrix)

12. I Ain’t Superstitious featuring Jonny Lang (Howlin’ Wolf, Jeff Beck Group)

13. Fortunate Son featuring Scott Stapp (Credence Clearwater Revival)
    *Deluxe Edition Only*

14. Under the Bridge featuring Andy Vargas (Red Hot Chili Peppers)*Deluxe Edition Only*

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe some actual work went into this, but then again maybe not. I mean come on...how can you cover a Def Leppard tune and still manage to get the opening chords wrong?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jero View Post
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlhMeKvwuDI&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0& hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlhMeKvwuDI&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0& hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I would have thought that Santana covering this song would put a little more emphasis on the Latin flavor that Ed & Alex had in the original. Instead he seems to bury it under a bunch of overproduced corporate crap.

And that singer? Horrible. And here I thought Rob Thomas singing Cream would be the biggest trainwreck on the album. (No I haven't heard that yet. Probably don't want to)
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Now that's more like it!

On Fire
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Like we haven't heard that a zillion times!

On Fire
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I never thought I'd say it, but Carlos Santana is rapidly turning into B.B. King, playing the same three or four note solo on every track he shows up on. I'm not exactly looking forward to hearing anything else from this album, which seems to have the phrase "aim low" attached to it.
    I like that singer though

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wonder why Carlos chose Dance the Night Away. I mean if this album is supposed to be made around all time great guitar songs, i think he could have chose something more challenging. Did he have to do something with a guest vocalist or could he have attempted Eruption?
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Never noticed this thread.

I was just listening to an interview and I didn't expect the album to sound like this. His talk was all about putting his interpretation on the music, his art, how even at 63 unlike most guitarists his age he likes to really rock out,

What a fucking crock, it's just competent very very straight session musician style covers(apart from not knowing the chords to Photograph).

What's the point?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    To get idiots to buy it on itunes...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Carlos Santana is the patron saint of mediocre guitarists

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jero View Post
    man, does this sucks...!!! even pat boone did a better job with "Panama" on his "metal" album!
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I heard about this album a few months ago and figured it would be awful.

I have always said, some songs are perfect they way they were first recorded. They just can't be covered. End of story. "Photograph" is perfect the way it was. There is no way that having Carlos tuning down about 3 step so that tool can sing it would make it better or even listenable...

I am not even gonna comment on the train wreck (pun intended) that is "Dance the Night Away"....
    "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvioDante View Post
    I heard about this album a few months ago and figured it would be awful.

I have always said, some songs are perfect they way they were first recorded. They just can't be covered. End of story. "Photograph" is perfect the way it was. There is no way that having Carlos tuning down about 3 step so that tool can sing it would make it better or even listenable...

I am not even gonna comment on the train wreck (pun intended) that is "Dance the Night Away"....
    And his dreadful version of Back In Black is a fuckin travesty. NAS = Nasty Audio Shit

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wIrsYS53iV8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wIrsYS53iV8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

LMAO!

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    What's the point?
    $$$$$!

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Santana Covers VH

I had no idea. I heard a cover of "Photograph" this afternoon. So horribly shitty....until I found this:

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Even worse:

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BTW - sorry if this is a repost. Move it. Merge it. Twatever.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Totally pussified... Tacos and salsa for the masses.....
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, the whole album is fairly ghastly.

Santana recruits Nas and Daughtry for covers album

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wIrsYS53iV8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wIrsYS53iV8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

LMAO!

Shite!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I fucking HATE santana.. all of his shit sounds the same to me, I can't stand that latin beat and the guy has like 1 riff.... fuck him and his good song destroying covers album.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    I fucking HATE santana.. all of his shit sounds the same to me, I can't stand that latin beat and the guy has like 1 riff.... fuck him and his good song destroying covers album.

I like that 1 song he did.....that he recorded 172 different times.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Santana is not even well liked by his collegues in his original band that played Woodstock. He basically quit the band and made sure to get all the accolades, forgetting his bandmates and moving on. I find that Santana can't do anything without obtaining the current singers to help get him noticed. Karma is a biotch.

The one true success of the original band was the fantastic voice and B3 Hammond playing of Gregg Rolie. Gregg went on to co-found JOURNEY.... WHEN it was a great band (Prior to the addition of Steve Perry). Gregg's new band, "Gregg Rolie Band" is stellar!
    "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bantonelli View Post
    Santana is not even well liked by his collegues in his original band that played Woodstock. He basically quit the band and made sure to get all the accolades, forgetting his bandmates and moving on. I find that Santana can't do anything without obtaining the current singers to help get him noticed. Karma is a biotch.

The one true success of the original band was the fantastic voice and B3 Hammond playing of Gregg Rolie. Gregg went on to co-found JOURNEY.... WHEN it was a great band (Prior to the addition of Steve Perry). Gregg's new band, "Gregg Rolie Band" is stellar!
    Wait........Don't be angry. I found this pic for you Bantonelli. ENJOY!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dance... cover is finger-tapping free.
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    Which explains his "discovery" of Neal Schon.

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Train sucks. I fuckin hate that Sister song. Fuck Santana too.
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    Train sucks. I fuckin hate that Sister song.
    agree ant, did anyone else notice that that song was basically a crappy re-write of that even crappier jason mraz 'i'm your's' crap?

santana sucks.

Thread Information