Thread: Pro Athletes/Brain Damage Study

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Pro Athletes/Brain Damage Study

Okay...so we've all heard about Chris Henry and his brain damage from getting hit in the head. I think the report stated that 50+ athletes have had brain damage, and this results in crazy ass behavior (Mike Webster, Justin Strelzcyk etc.).

So, how many brains didn't show damage?
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What really gets me in this story is that the study concluded that Henry's brain showed evidence of trauma. Swell, the fellow (just like every other football player) has been taking whacks to the head since pee-wee ball. Who is to say when this trauma initially took place, or if it was cumulative in nature? For such a study to hold any water, testing would need to be done on a case-history basis, following an athlete from around the age of seven years old, on through to the pro level. Sounds complicated and expensive, right? Well if anything is going to be done to protect athletes (all athletes at any age level), then the sooner such a study is implemented, the better.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...Mike Webster...I get...he's a center...gets hit in the head every play...for two decades.

But Henry? He's a wide receivers...so...how many times does he get hit a game...in the head? I'm sure there are several games he doesn't get hit at all. Then, combine that with all the games he missed because he was a fuck-up...and doing drugs...what-not.

Then, combine that with the fact that his baby-mama was pissed at him...

and he's 26...you now...every 26-year old has brain damage with regards to pussy...

I'm not saying he didn't have concussive hits...but damn...there's DEFINATELY more at play here...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm sure that Henry got his bell rung several times going over the middle over the years...
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The thing is many of these players are "encouraged" to keep playing with concussions.......look at how many former football players are getting fucked by the player's union.

Here's a good video and an eye-opener on the subject!

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/leiriUlAo6BrQbBCW38G4Q"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/leiriUlAo6BrQbBCW38G4Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I will give teams credit nowadays, they take a baseline before the season so if he/she gets a concussion they know how severe it is....

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's an episode to watch on Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel:

Head Games. In an expanded segment, REAL SPORTS revisits its Emmy®- winning investigation into concussions in the NFL. Violent collisions have grabbed front-page headlines throughout the 2009 season and everyone, including the NFL, finally agrees that concussions can lead to mental health problems. After years of reluctance to engage the issue publicly, the NFL has made concussion evaluation and treatment a top priority under Roger Goodell’s leadership. But many now wonder if “routine” hits – the kind football players experience on virtually every play – can also lead to problems like memory loss, depression and even dementia. Three years after his original investigation into the lasting effects of head injuries suffered by NFL players, correspondent Bernard Goldberg looks at this new issue facing professional football.
    Producers: Joe Perskie, Zehra Mamdani.

Thread Information