TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Don "Air" Coryell passes away

So sad. Not only oene of the greatest coaches of all time, but a super nice guy. Met him several times. Used to see him in the 7-11 getting coffee. He lived near my high school & we would see him in the mornings before school.

Don't read the Yahoo story. This is the San Diego paper. You'll get a better story here.

Rest in peace coach

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...1/don-coryell/

Don Coryell, ex-Chargers, Aztecs coach dies at 85
    Coach revolutionized game of football with passing attack

By Bill Center, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 6:22 p.m.

Don Coryell, who twice reversed the fortunes of San Diego football franchises and revolutionized the passing game in the National Football League, has died at the age of 85.

Coryell died at 3:15 p.m. today at Grossmont Hospital. He had been been in ill health recently.

Coryell was the first coach to have more than 100 wins at both the collegiate and professional levels and is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame. He was a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2010.

The Chargers became known as “Air Coryell” during his nine seasons as the head coach.

Earlier, Coryell took San Diego State from being a losing small college program to being recognized nationally, going 104-19-2 over 12 seasons from 1961-72.

Coryell also coached the St. Louis Cardinals of the NFL from 1973-77.

Under Coryell, the Chargers won three straight AFC West championships from 1979-81 and lost in the AFC championship games of 1980 (to Oakland) and 1981 (to Cincinnati).

“We had three, possibly four good chances at going to the Super Bowl,” Coryell said in 1995. “It just didn’t work out.

“If we had gotten there, we would have won at least one of them.”

Although Coryell never coached a team to the Super Bowl, he had a 111-83-1 regular season record as a NFL head coach, including a 69-56 record with the Chargers.

“I had the privilege of playing for him in college and pros," said cornerback Willie Buchanon, who played for Coryell at SDSU and with the Chargers. "He never changed. Same intensity. Surrounded himself with smart, intelligent coaches who had the same philosophy he had. He brought out the best in everybody around him.”

Beyond wins and losses, Coryell was respected throughout football as an innovator and the creator of the “vertical offense” that stretched defenses.

“Don is the father of the modern passing game,” said Joe Gibbs, who assisted Coryell before becoming a Hall of Fame coach with the Washington Redskins.

“He was extremely creative and fostered things that are still in today’s game because he was so creative. You look around the NFL now and many teams are still running a version of the Coryell offense.”

What many people don’t realize is that Coryell was also instrumental in the development of the I-formation running game that John McKay popularized at Southern California in the 1960s.

Coryell ran a version of the I while a high school head coach in Hawaii and as the head coach at Whittier College in 1957-1959. He was an assistant coach to McKay at USC in 1960 before succeeding Paul Governali as the head coach at San Diego State in 1961.

At San Diego State, Coryell inherited a program that was close to folding, quickly turned it into a small college power and developed it into a Division I program before leaving for the NFL.

Coryell’s Aztecs had three undefeated seasons — 1966, 1968 and 1969.

It was while at San Diego State that Coryell changed his emphasis from the running game to the passing game.

“There were a number of reasons why we developed the passing game with the Aztecs,” Coryell said several years after leaving San Diego State.

“We could only recruit a limited number of runners and linemen against schools like USC and UCLA. And there were a lot of kids in Southern California passing and catching the ball.

“There seemed to be a deeper supply of quarterbacks and receivers. And the passing game was also open to some new ideas.”

From the fifth game of the 1965 season to the penultimate game of the 1970 season, Coryell’s Aztecs compiled a 55-1-1 record that included a 25-game winning streak from 1965-67 that ranks as the 19th longest in NCAA history.

The run was capped with a 29-game undefeated streak.

Under Coryell, San Diego State became known as Quarterback U. — sending a series of quarterbacks to the NFL, including Don Horn, Rod Dowhower, Dennis Shaw, Brian Sipe and Jesse Freitas.

Coryell also helped develop such wide receivers as Isaac Curtis, Gary Garrison, Haven Moses, Tommy Reynolds, Neal Petties and Tommy Nettles.

Coryell’s staffs at San Diego State included Gibbs, John Madden, Ernie Zampese, Tom Bass, Dowhower and Jim Hanifan.

Coryell’s list of great Aztec players included defensive end Fred Dryer, defensive back Willie Buchanon and running backs Jim Allison, Don Shy and Kern Carson

However, it was after he departed San Diego State that Coryell rose to national prominence — first as the head coach of the St. Louis Cardinals then with the Chargers.

Coryell departed San Diego State shortly after the 1972 season to become the head coach of the Cardinals, who hadn’t reached the NFL playoffs in a quarter of a century.

With Jim Hart as his quarterback, Mel Gray as his favorite target and Terry Metcalf as a multiple threat at running back, Coryell led the Cardinals to back-to-back division titles in 1974-75.

Coryell returned to San Diego five games into the 1978 season, taking over a 1-4 team from Tommy Prothro. Under Coryell, the Chargers finished the season with an 8-3 run then won the first of their three straight AFC West titles the following season.

With Dan Fouts at quarterback, the Chargers led the NFL in passing yards for an NFL record six straight seasons starting in 1978. They also led the league in passing in 1985 and in total offense for four straight seasons (1980-83) and five times in a six-season span.

Fouts, wide receiver Charlie Joiner and tight end Kellen Winslow all were voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame off their accomplishments as Chargers during the era of Air Coryell.

In Coryell’s scheme, wide receiver John Jefferson caught passes worth more than 1,000 yards in each of his first pro seasons — but never again attained the total after being traded away to Green Bay in a 1981 contract dispute.

A year later, the Chargers acquired Wes Chandler to fill Jefferson’s slot and he set a then NFL record by averaging 129 yards receiving per game.

Coryell’s Chargers also featured three of the top multi-threat running backs in the franchise’s history — Chuck Muncie, James Brooks and Lionel James.

Although Coryell’s Charger teams were criticized for their lack of defense, the 1979 Chargers allowed a NFL-low 246 points while the 1980 edition led the league with 60 sacks led by the line of Fred Dean, Gary “Big Hands” Johnson and Louie Kelcher.

Born in Seattle on Oct. 17, 1924, Coryell was a defensive back at the University of Washington from 1949-51 before turning to coaching. He is survived by son Mike of Los Gatos, daughter Mindy Lewis of San Diego, and two granddaughters (Loni and Kelly) and a grandson (Cutter). His wife of 51 years, Aliisa, died in December 2008.

There was no immediate word on any services.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Man, San Diegans loved this guy. Going to be a dark weekend here.

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-19-2016 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Great coach, football mind..everytime air coryell was on monday night football i would get so jacked up to see muncie/joyner/jefferson what an amazing team to
    witness & always wondered how many points they would score that night.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Weird. I thought more people would chime in on this. Maybe he seems like a bigger character to me because I am a San Diego native and grew up with this. Not as much as a "national" celebrity as he is in the home town.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 09:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Everyone knew Coryell if you followed the NFL...

I think nationally, he was looked at a lot like a poor man's Bill Walsh. He was just as innovative, but couldn't get to the big game...

Today...if you dink...it's because of Walsh...and if you throw vertically, it's because of Coryell...

RIP you airness....whoda thunk that Michael Jordan would steal a nickname from an old white guy...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    Everyone knew Coryell if you followed the NFL...

I think nationally, he was looked at a lot like a poor man's Bill Walsh. He was just as innovative, but couldn't get to the big game...

Today...if you dink...it's because of Walsh...and if you throw vertically, it's because of Coryell...

RIP you airness....whoda thunk that Michael Jordan would steal a nickname from an old white guy...

Yeah, you're right. But man o man were those games fun to watch. Talk about high scoring shootouts.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Was there a better game than the Epic in Miami? 41-38...Winslow dehydrated and carried off the field after 13 receptions and 166 yards receiving...and a blocked field goal...a pinched nerve...stitches...

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wes chandler was a good fill in, but John Jefferson was unbelieveable..then the doosh leaves the charge & to the non passing brian sipe browns (compared to coryells system) lol

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Didn't JJ go to the fudge-Packers?

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ouch...his stats sucked ass in Green Bay...

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I will never complain about being a San Diegan. Gorgeous women, beaches, mountains, desert, close to Baja CA for great weekend trips. Everything is wonderful. Never winning a championship is our curse. But I stick by the team...thick or thin.

Pojo, I remember that Miami game. I was just a kid & we were actually snowed in at Mammoth Mtn on a ski week. Fuzzy 17" tv with bad reception & hot chocolate. Yet more dramatic than a big screen high def TV of any game I have seen since.

I think the Chargers (especially the last decade) have been the best team that never won a Super Bowl.

You guys remember Louie "Big Hands" Kelcher? I met him once when I was a kid. He was kinda our version of Mean Joe.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, I've been to San Diego a couple of times, and it truly may be the nicest city I've ever seen, and/or been in...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I actually like the Chargers...and you have to understand...after the Steelers...I hate every other fucking team...but...

I do like the Chargers, which says a lot, considering they fucked up the Steelers...three yards short...in 1994...

Thread Information