My dad and I are going to make a Frankenstein Replica.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VanHalenFan5150
    Sniper
    • Oct 2009

It would be neat to make a 5150, but, the striping would be too much work. I'm sure the VH1 or VH2 Frankie would be a good guitar to start out building.
    Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2004

Originally posted by VanHalenFan5150
      It would be neat to make a 5150, but, the striping would be too much work. I'm sure the VH1 or VH2 Frankie would be a good guitar to start out building.
      VH2 would be the easiest.
      5150 a close second, and an accurate Frankie would def. be the most work...
      Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
        You say that like it's a bad thing?
        Apparently nobody noticed your absence. That was a good thing.

Comment

• GAR
          Banned
          • Jan 2004

... the VH1 or VH2 Frankie would be a good guitar to start out building.
          If you do the Charvel one you spray the body yellow first, tape, then black.

That's probably the easier one because the overall black look will hide all the flaws from mis-pulling of the tape edges and any body woodgrain anomalies.

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

How would you know? You never built a guitar before....

Comment

• Igosplut
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by GAR
              If you do the Charvel one you spray the body.
              You do something with the paint besides huff it??
              Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Originally posted by GARfail
                If you do the Charvel one you spray the body yellow first, tape, then black.
                Duuuhh...

Originally posted by GARfail
                That's probably the easier one because the overall black look will hide all the flaws from mis-pulling of the tape edges and any body woodgrain anomalies.
                (VanHalenFan5150)If you go with the VH2 "Bumblebee" If the body is raw, after you apply the sand and seal, sand it smooth and apply the primer. Priming will reveal the visible woodgrains. Skim with auto bondo, (it dries ultra hard and it's easy to sand), re-prime and repeat if necessary.
                Proceed with yellow base coat, 2 or 3 should suffice. (I recommend at least 24hrs between coats)
                Wet sand with 1600 grit between coats and be sure to tack cloth it well after sanding.
                Once you achieve the solid depth of yellow tape it up. Try and collect as many examples (pics) from as many different angles as you can to help with the accuracy of your taping.
                One trick you can do that will help in a neat removal of the tape is, when you get to the end of each strip fold back a small piece into itself to act as a pull tab (rather than having to pick at it)

3 light coats of gloss black should do the trick. Once the final coat of black is applied give it a few days to cure. (Very lightly) score the edges of the tape with a new exact-o knife. (take your time) and gently remove the tape.

Time to wetsand with 2200 grit. What helps is to wet the surface of the body area's you're working on as well. Start by very gently wetsanding the edges of the tape lines to bring down their profile a little bit.
                (Warning: it doesn't take much to rub through to the next colour. Use caution!!!)
                Followed by gently steel wooling the entire body with 0000 grade steel wool. the body should look dull in sheen.
                Now you're ready for clearcoating.
                I would recommend no less than 5 coats of high gloss,wetsanding and steel wooling in between coats.
                Remember one thing here in regards to all coating. Don't try to do alot with each coat of anything. The key to a good finish is multiple thin even layers...

Good luck, should you choose the "Bumblebee".
                Last edited by Diamondjimi; 07-09-2010, 11:22 AM.
                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Go die in a fire or something.

Originally posted by GAR
                  Apparently nobody noticed your absence. That was a good thing.
                  STFU, Tiny Tubby. People would applaud yours, because it would be a good thing.

Post pics of your gear or GTFO.
                  Originally posted by conmee
                  If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                  Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                  I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                  Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                  Originally posted by eddie78
                  I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Also of note, another manufacturer I've used, KnE, makes Frankie bodies starting at $110!

If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Also of note, another manufacturer I've used, KnE, makes Frankie bodies starting at $110!

If you had a router could you just cut one of these out of a blank piece of wood? I went to some odd ball store in Kansas City one time that had shelves and shelves full of all kinds of differnt wood. I remember thinking damn that would make a kick ass guitar body.

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

Wait! Isn't that the same, lame shallow tummycut relief Ed Roman had on his bodies?

Where is that company.. they sure don't know how to finish their edges correctly do they.

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                          If you had a router could you just cut one of these out of a blank piece of wood? I went to some odd ball store in Kansas City one time that had shelves and shelves full of all kinds of differnt wood. I remember thinking damn that would make a kick ass guitar body.
                          You can buy body blanks made of alder or ash from Stew Mac...if one has the skills it can be done. Personally, I decided against woodshop in high school after one of my friends nearly cut his thumb off...lol IMO it's worth it to spend a hunski....spend the digits to save the digits, y'know?

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                            Sniper
                            • Oct 2009

Yep yep, I wish we had woodshop at my school. We have stagecraft since we're a performing arts school, so it's similar but the only time we would build when I took the class was whenever there was a show coming up, and there were only 3 during the whole year... Boring...
                            Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

..spend the digits to save the digits, y'know?
                              I once cut off my coch to save Tibet, the hell what you say!

Comment

• Don Corleone
                                Veteran
                                • May 2004

Yep yep, I wish we had woodshop at my school. We have stagecraft since we're a performing arts school, so it's similar but the only time we would build when I took the class was whenever there was a show coming up, and there were only 3 during the whole year... Boring...
                                Word of warning on the body front - avoid Frankenstraat.com, James Duffy or anything else to do with that guy like the plague. A few years back he was semi okay, but these days the guy is a bullshitter of almost Gar proportions who just takes peoples money and runs. Those who do eventually see a product (and we're talking months to years later hear) are 99% of the time than less than satisfied with the end result.
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...