Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Probert was a good guy. Yes, he had his issues off the ice, but he was one of the good guys. The only time he ever hurt anyone other than himself, was when he was kicking the shit out of someone on the ice.

Back when I had my '71 Challenger, and used to do the local car shows, I met Bob Probert. There was a big "Nationals" show at the Michigan State Fairgrounds every year, and this one year Probert knew somebody in our group and spent the day hanging out at our area. I had to go take a leak, and Probert said he'd walk with me. This was one of the times he was attempting to stay off the drugs and drinking, so he was totally straight. We come out of the restroom, and this really wasted fucker sees Probert and just starts lambasting him. Talking major smack. Now, Probert was a big motherfucker, and this guy was my size or smaller. I have no doubt Probie would have killed the dude, easily. I'm thinking this is going to get crazy. We stop, Probert looks at the dude, turns to me and says "come on, let's get back to the cars". We start walking away from this guy and he starts yelling to Probert that he better walk away, he's a drunk pussy, and all this shit. So, we stop, turn around, and this guy just keeps running his trap. I see Probert is really struggling with how to handle this, so I ask him if he wants me to go fuck this guy up. Probert says "No, I would love for you to do that, but in the end it would just come back to haunt me when the media gets hold of the story". He was right. It wouldn't have mattered who kicked the shit out of the guy, it would have been one more black mark on Proberts legacy. At that time, he didn't need anymore bullshit, even though he had more problems after that. He was trying. I have always regretted not drilling that guy square in the chops.

Bob Probert and Joe Kocur were two of the baddest motherfuckers on blades. You fucked with Yzerman, or any of their teammates, you paid the price. It's what kept the game clean. I'd suggest reading the book "The Bruise Brothers". Great great stuff.

Comment

Working...