Thread: Is Dweezil Zappa Van Halens new PR Person?

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Is Dweezil Zappa Van Halens new PR Person?

WTF? From the VHND.

http://www.vhnd.com/2010/07/05/van-halen-rasta-guitar/

Van Halen Rasta Guitar
    Monday, 5 July 2010
    This guitar is one of my personal favorites. I remember the first time I ever saw the guitar was in a photo from Life Magazine. They followed Edward on the road around the time of the Fair Warning and Diver Down tours. That is my favorite Van Halen album by the way. Anyhow, as you may or may not know Edward built a lot of his own guitars. He was backstage with a bunch of them and this one kind of in the middle as I vaguely recall. It really stood out to me. (If anyone has that photo please post it!) It was the only guitar he had that had any green on it. I like green so it stuck in my head for years. A decade later I went to Edward’s 5150 recording studio for a recording session. He played a few amazing solos on my as yet unfinished magnum opus – What The Hell Was I Thinking? (Started working on it in the early 90′s so it’s soon to be 20 years in the making)

Anyway the “Rasta” guitar – That’s what Edward called it – He also referred to it as UBAB – was sitting in the corner. The neck was off. I said, “Hey that’s the guitar from Life Magazine” and he replied, “Oh yeah, I hate that guitar… it’s too heavy. Do you want it?” “Yes please” was my immediate response. It came replete with actual dried vomit in the neck joint and a little left on the guitar as well. It’s still there…BRUTAL Cologna…
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    So even Dweebzil can't get any info ??
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post

He just keeps pulling Ed's old guitars out of his ass.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

I think these are 'reprints' - I recall reading the last couple of stories a few years ago... So in VH world, this is breaking news!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Alright gear heads.....what would make a guitar "too heavy"? I mean, Eddie uses the Fender styled body. Can the weight difference between them really be significant enough to notice? I mean, same size & same cut basically. I would think even with different types of wood it would only be a couple of ounces maximum.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    I think these are 'reprints' - I recall reading the last couple of stories a few years ago... So in VH world, this is breaking news!
    The original article came from Dweezil Zappa World, December 12, 2009. It was mentioned in this thread Dweezil playing Ed's old "Rasta" guitar in February, and somehow wound up being printed at VHND yesterday.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 07-06-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Man you know it's dry when that is all they can come up with.

Fuck it. I'm quiting VH!

8. Thanked Jagermeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-08-2010)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Alright gear heads.....what would make a guitar "too heavy"? I mean, Eddie uses the Fender styled body. Can the weight difference between them really be significant enough to notice? I mean, same size & same cut basically. I would think even with different types of wood it would only be a couple of ounces maximum.
    In a word...yes.

Density and weight effect both tone and comfort...

And the difference can be a pound, believe it or not...

10. Thanked ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

sadaist (07-06-2010)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Man you know it's dry when that is all they can come up with.

Fuck it. I'm quiting VH!
    Yeah, but I'd rather read this sort of stuff than any of that "Chickenfood" nonsense.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, but I'd rather read this sort of stuff than any of that "Chickenfood" nonsense.
    lol. At least they are making a damn record orrr fuckin doing something.

Chickenfood. LMAO!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

In a word...yes.

Density and weight effect both tone and comfort...

And the difference can be a pound, believe it or not...

Learn something new every day. I would imagine if the weight difference were a pound, that would really start wearing on the player towards the end of a 2 hour show.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Dweebzil?

Greg,you would gobble a mile of black dick to be in his shoes...

I've met Dweezil numerous times, he's a good dude and a bad muthafucka on the guitar.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Van Halen Star Guitar
    Tuesday, 29 June 2010

By Dweezil Zappa

From Dweezil Zappa World:

This guitar comes with a great story. Picture this if you will. It’s 1982 and the biggest rock band in the world is VAN HALEN. I was 12 years old and had only been playing guitar for 9 months. “Eruption” and the “Mean Street” intro were on a constant loop in my head. I was signed up to play at my school talent show. It was coming up in a week. I was going to play “Running With The Devil” with my little teenage rocking combo.

In the days before the show we received a phone call at our house from a guy claiming to be Edward Van Halen. My mom answered the phone and talked with him for a bit. She whispered to me, “This guy says he’s Eddie Van Halen, pick up the other phone and listen to see if you think it really is.” Of course I jumped for the other phone extension and quietly picked it up. I heard a gritty voice on the other end talking about wanting to come over and meet Frank Zappa. I had no reference of the sound of Edward Van Halen’s voice except for the possible long shot audio clip from “Unchained” where a voice is heard saying, “Come on Dave, give us a break.” I thought maybe that was Edward’s voice, or maybe it was Ted Templeman’s voice? It didn’t matter. I wanted it to be Edward Van Halen so I said to Gail, “It’s him… it has to be him!”

Frank picked up the phone and talked for a short time. He hung up the phone saying, “Okay I’ll see you in a few minutes.” 20 minutes later Edward Van Halen was at our house. He had a new guitar with him. A purple Kramer with a piece of tape covering the logo. Frank called Steve Vai and asked him to come over. What followed as the coolest night a 12 year old guitar player could ever imagine, or perhaps any guitar player. Edward Van Halen, Steve Vai, and Frank Zappa all passed around this new purple guitar. Occasionally I would fumble around on it as well.

Many things were played and discussed. It was amazing. Of course I asked Edward to play “Mean Street” and “Eruption”. He did and I got to watch it up close. The techniques he employed were burned into my brain forever. This jam session/discussion went on into the wee hours of the morning. somewhere around 3AM. I had a little league game at 7am. Even though I had pitched a no hitter the week before, I knew that night that baseball was no longer that important to me.

Anyway, getting back to the star guitar. On the day of the talent show I was heading to my sound check. We got another call from Edward. It was mentioned that I was playing “Runnin’ With The Devil” at my school talent show. He actually decided he wanted to see that. He came to the sound check at my school! ( That was insane…kids found out and bolted out of class to see if it was true. He was a super hero and he was right there at school) While I was playing 2 things happened. First He corrected a wrong chord that I was playing. He stood behind me and actually played the guitar while it was around my neck and showed me what I was doing wrong. The he said, “This guitar won’t stay in tune, let me get you another one.” He drove home and came back with the star guitar you see above!

At that time it looked quite different. It was originally a Kramer that was cream colored with an orange lightning bolt shooting across the middle. I played the show with that guitar and it did stay in tune better than my Strat. I offered it back to him but he told me I could keep it. I was amazed that he had done what he had done. I’m not sure he had any idea what kind of impact he had made on me.

He kept in touch with Frank a lot during that time. Frank mentioned that he was going to be recording me for fun soon and somehow Edward ended up in the producers seat. I honestly don’t remember how that went down. Maybe Frank asked him if he would like to do it or maybe Edward offered. Either way, a few weeks later we actually recorded “My Mother Is A Space Cadet” at the UMRK studio. I used that guitar for the recording sessions. Over time that guitar has had a few modifications. I stuck a whole bunch of weird rubber faces on it when I took it to Europe. I used it on stage that way when Frank invited me to play with him at the Hammersmith Odeon. A recording of that performance exists as does some home video shot by Thomas Nordegg, but I digress… The next thing that happened was the paint job.

I used the Van Halen painting method and taped off areas. I painted it the way you currently see it now. It’s had preamps installed and removed. It’s got a different neck than the original. It’s fallen off of Thomas Nordegg’s scooter into on coming traffic – WITHOUT being in a case! It has some nice scars from that experience.

Anyway it’s a big part of my youth and it always reminds me of the excitement of playing guitar.

In closing I would like to share with you that Edward Van Halen did another remarkable thing for me. Perhaps the most important act of kindness I’ve experienced in my life. He was the very first person to call our house when the news of Frank’s passing hit the media airwaves. It was around 5am. He called and offered to see if there was anything he could do for us and said he was free to spend some time with me over the next few days if I would like to do that. He probably has no idea how important that was to me, and I’ve never had the opportunity all these years later to properly thank him for that. It was the best possible thing to take my mind off of the grief I was experiencing at that time. (Let me tell you, that doesn’t go away either).

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Dweezil's just cool.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

.....and apparently Eddie was cool, too...........back in the days before meth!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Meth or no meth, Ed's always had issues. Mainly insecurity issues....

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Ed has whatever issues he has, and he can be a dick to some people, but if he is any kind of jackoff as a person, he at least has a compassionate side to him. Some kind of maturity, lol.

He needs to be mature and give us a fucking studio album!
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 07-07-2010 at 12:22 AM.

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-10-2012 @ 06:38 PM
    a perception of reality-understanding your place in life will allow you to gain access into the next.
    Status
    Thanks

Learn something new every day. I would imagine if the weight difference were a pound, that would really start wearing on the player towards the end of a 2 hour show.
    I have a reissue 1967 black beauty les paul and the fuckin thing weighs a tonne. wood composite.

That "rasta" guitar has quad rails on it? I dont recall the original having them? anybody?

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

My black JB Player neck-thru-body strat weighs as much as a Les Paul. Has a real dense, dark tone as well. I prefer my Flying V, because even though the body is larger, it does not weigh as much. Looks cooler as well.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Troubles View Post
    That "rasta" guitar has quad rails on it? I dont recall the original having them? anybody?
    The "Rasta" started out as the "Unchained" guitar, then was repainted. The pick-ups apparently were installed sometime during the switch.

23. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-08-2010)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I don't know about guitars but I have several custom rifles I built that are all on Mauser 98 receivers but all have different wood stocks. I have one on a solid birds eye maple stock and it's a bitch to pack around on a hunting trip compared to the New England walnut ones. If that guitar body is solid maple it's going to weigh more to notice.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    The "Rasta" started out as the "Unchained" guitar, then was repainted. The pick-ups apparently were installed sometime during the switch.

Looks like an old Mighty Mite pickup on it. My main question is who's puke is on the guitar? Ed's? As much as he had a guitar slung on him he probably had too much one night and puked all over it. Now I know why he went for such wild paint schemes. To hide the puke.

Thread Information